Thank You, New England. Nate Solder. The Players Tribune

chevss454

Data-driven decision-making is science and art.
Reaction score
An excellent story by Nate Solder about what he and his wife went through with their child's cancer and how wonderful the Patriots were throughout the ordeal. This reflects very well on the Patriots.

I started singing the lyrics, and I just broke down. I started bawling. Then Lexi did, too. The two of us were doubled over on our knees, sobbing — no … wailing throughout the entire song, and everybody was looking at us, wondering what was wrong. They didn’t know.
Josh [McD] knew, though.
I had spoken to him and Coach Belichick when Hudson was first diagnosed. So not only did Josh know what Lexi and I were going through, but standing there next to us with his four children, I think he really connected with us and understood the pain we must have been feeling.
They treated me like a human being instead of a football player or a left tackle. Before I tell you what happened next, I need to let you know a little about what it’s really like playing for the Patriots.
It can be a tough environment. It’s very businesslike, and at times it can be cold. Everything in New England is predicated on performance. It’s a place where people sometimes treat you differently based on how you practiced that day or how you answered a question in a meeting. One day, you could walk around the facility feeling like a Pro Bowler — the next, like you’re about to get cut.
I don’t mean that to sound harsh or negative. It’s also an incredible place to play, and I’m grateful for the years I spent there. It’s just that it could be tough sometimes. The Patriots have set a standard, and the pressure is very real. That’s the culture they’ve built — a winning culture — and it’s why they’ve been so successful. Josh is a big part of that culture and in setting that tone.
After that day at chapel, I noticed a change in Josh. He gave Lexi a big hug every time he saw her, and held it a beat longer than usual to ask her how she was doing. Our conversations changed. They used to be only about football. Now, they would start with football and end with us talking about God, our families and just life in general.
My relationship with Josh really took off from there. In a cutthroat business where guys are always getting released and winning is everything and it’s all football all the time, I really appreciated the fact that he took the time to say, “Nate, what you’re going through with Hudson … that’s more important than football.” He told me that if I ever needed to dip out of a meeting because the stress got to be too much, nobody would ask any questions. Coach Belichick told me the same. He said that if I ever needed to miss practice or a meeting, it was totally fine.
“Whatever Hudson needs,” he said.
I don’t think I can even put into words how much I appreciated that — both what Bill said and how Josh handled everything.

They treated me like a human being instead of a football player or a left tackle.

That kindness didn’t stop with my coaches, either. It went all the way to the top of the organization. All the way up to Mr. Kraft.
I remember one Tuesday, a snowstorm hit New England. On Monday, Lexi and I had been watching the forecast and stressing about whether or not we’d be able to make it to Hudson’s early-morning appointment. We didn’t know if roads would be closed or if it would be safe to drive.
That night I spoke with Mr. Kraft, and he put me and my family up in a hotel right next to the Children’s Hospital so we wouldn’t have to worry about the snow. It was a beautiful hotel overlooking Fenway Park, which is right next to the hospital.
It was a small gesture — a little detail that I think speaks volumes about Mr. Kraft and the Patriots organization. And it’s just another example of the kindness and compassion that they showed my family and me during some of our most difficult times. We never felt like we were alone in our fight.
We knew we had an entire organization supporting us.

much more.
https://www.theplayerstribune.com/en-us/articles/nate-solder-patriots-giants-thank-you

<source media="(max-width: 320px)"><source media="(min-width: 321px) and (max-width: 375px)"><source media="(min-width: 376px) and (max-width: 450px)"><source media="(min-width: 451px) and (max-width: 640px)"><source media="(min-width: 641px) and (max-width: 768px)"><source media="(min-width: 769px) and (max-width: 900px)">

Amazing story. I'll read the whole thing when I get home.

Good insight into the organization. Tom Jackson can go suck an egg.

Amazing story. I'll read the whole thing when I get home.

Good insight into the organization. Tom Jackson can go suck an egg.

There’s nothing repulsive about an egg. I eat about 4-6 a day.

He can suck a salty bag o dicks. With open sores and lesions.

Great article. Everybody should take a few minutes to read it.

I hope the kid can get through this. There are most definitely more important things than football, but it was nice to read that Nate felt love and respect from the whole organization.

If you gotta leave then that is the way to go out and I appreciate him sharing his story. Classy piece.

Great article. Everybody should take a few minutes to read it.

I hope the kid can get through this. There are most definitely more important things than football, but it was nice to read that Nate felt love and respect from the whole organization.
If you gotta leave then that is the way to go out and I appreciate him sharing his story. Classy piece.
BUT THE PATRIOTS ARE EVIL!!!

while I hope all teams would react like the Patriots organization did and offer the same ability to come and go, the image of the big bad boss are often greatly exaggerated by the media because Bill is a protective mother hen who will say " I need to coach better" before barking "the players sucked"

Nate has been one of my favorites on the team. He and his wife have carried themselves well in times of adversities. I read this article last night and it was insightful and downright amazing.

Very nice letter from Nate.

But I hate the team he is now playing for so I can't wish him "good luck". But that's just me.

I still don't believe that "the money was similar" to what the Patriots offered him, as he said at first.
If it was, then why did he sign with those pukes, after what he said was all good treatment by BB and Kraft?

Very nice letter from Nate.

But I hate the team he is now playing for so I can't wish him "good luck". But that's just me.

I still don't believe that "the money was similar" to what the Patriots offered him, as he said at first.
If it was, then why did he sign with those pukes, after what he said was all good treatment by BB and Kraft?

Solder isn't worth what the gnats paid. Good for him. If someone pays way above your pay scale, you take it. He did the right thing. He isn't even close to being elite.

Solder isn't worth what the gnats paid. Good for him. If someone pays way above your pay scale, you take it. He did the right thing. He isn't even close to being elite.

The Giants made him the highest paid OL in the NFL. I have no problem with professional football players leaving to make a lot more money.

HOWEVER, he said that "the money that the Patriots offered was similar". I don't believe that. don't pee on my shoes and tell me it's raining.

Taking him at his word. Why would he move if the money was similar considering the 'great" treatment he got from the Patriots organization? It doesn't add up.

How about being honest and saying "I signed with the Giants because they offered much more money". If that is the case , which I believe it is, then fine and dandy.

The Giants made him the highest paid OL in the NFL. I have no problem with professional football players leaving to make a lot more money.

HOWEVER, he said that "the money that the Patriots offered was similar". I don't believe that. don't pee on my shoes and tell me it's raining.

Taking him at his word. Why would he move if the money was similar considering the 'great" treatment he got from the Patriots organization? It doesn't add up.

How about being honest and saying "I signed with the Giants because they offered much more money". If that is the case , which I believe it is, then fine and dandy.
He could be using the vague "similar" just as a "solid" to Bill. Being respectful, preventing the"cheap Bill offered him shit, as usual" crap.

Cheers

He could be using the vague "similar" just as a "solid" to Bill. Being respectful, preventing the"cheap Bill offered him shit, as usual" crap.

Cheers

Anyone who followed the Patriots should know that they would not offer him close to being the highest paid OL player in the NFL. They didn't do it for Mankins and he was better than Nate.

All he had to say is that The Pukes made him an offer he couldn't turn down.
Saying that the Patriots offer was similar would lead reasonable people to ask: "Ok then, why did you really leave".

Yup...totally agree.

Back