The 2021 Draft- We Need This One

TALES FROM THE SENIOR BOWL​

I always love being in Mobile for the Senior Bowl. But this year was different. Veet’s and the barroom at the Battle House were hollowed-out shells of what have been in Januarys past. The great restaurants downtown, places like Noja and Dumbwaiter, were walk-up-and-get-a-table empty during what normally is a busy week. Which, of course, is due to the situation we’re all in as Americans.

But from a scouting perspective, and for the reasons we laid out in this week’s GamePlan, the week was as important as Senior Bowl week has ever been. There’ll be no combine in 2021. Pro days will be managed and limited. Teams won’t be able to fly players in. All of which made this week the only chance coaches and scouts are guaranteed to have to watch the players move around in person and talk to them face-to-face.

So what was learned? Here are a few things …

• This is another bumper crop of receivers. Even with LSU’s Ja'Marr Chase, Alabama’s Jaylen Waddle, Minnesota’s Rashod Bateman and Purdue’s Rondale Moore absent (and Bama Heisman winner DeVonta Smith there but only for interviews), the receivers were clearly the most talked about position group. A number of them helped themselves.

D’Wayne Eskridge, Western Michigan: I had one exec tell me Eskridge won every one-on-one he saw him in this week. He’s a little small, but he’s got lightning short-area quickness, sticky hands, and always seems to be open. Literally everyone I talked to loved him.

Amari Rodgers, Clemson: He showed burst, savvy and play strength that, combined with his collegiate production, evoked some Sterling Shepard comparisons.

Kadarius Toney, Florida: He had accountability and maturity flags, but word is Toney really turned the off-field stuff around in 2020, and he’s a stick of dynamite as a player. He had a couple drops and a fumble in practices, but his movement skills are undeniable, and he got comps to fellow ex-Gator Percy Harvin from multiple scouts I talked to.

Tylan Wallace, Oklahoma State: He’s built like a running back, and is a really good route-runner, which had him winning in drills consistently.

South Carolina’s Shi Smith and South Dakota State’s Cade Johnson elicited mention too, and you get the picture.

• The quarterback group didn’t generate very much excitement, and that includes Alabama star Mac Jones. That’s not to say Jones didn’t practice well. He did. It just wasn’t enough to change many people’s minds on him, good or bad. One scout I talked to said, “I think he’s just a guy,” while another called him “O.K.” I’m not positive Jones will go in the first round. We’ll see. He might. I just don’t have conviction on it after this week. Texas A&M’s Kellen Mond showed enough that one evaluator called him, “an intriguing developmental guy.”

• While top guys like Alabama’s Patrick Surtain and Virginia Tech’s Caleb Farley weren’t in Mobile, and that’s part of the reason here, play at corner had NFL types believing that it’ll be a down year at the position. UCF CB Aaron Robinson and S Richie Grant were two guys who did stand out in the secondary. Robinson showed ball skills and an ability to play man-to-man, and both he and Grant showed polished technique and smarts for their positions. Washington’s Keith Taylor is another who had a good week—and played well in the game.

• A couple of defensive linemen helped themselves, and UCLA’s Osa Odighizuwa’s name was one that came up consistently, as a disruptive, long-armed, upfield/inside type of pass rusher. Notre Dame’s Daelin Hayes was another who showed good versatility. And Washington’s Levi Onwuzurike, more of a pure defensive tackle, was among the best players on the field—one 2020 opt-out who didn’t show much rust.

• The running back group had a couple stars in it too. North Carolina’s Michael Carter showed quickness, burst and vision all week. Virginia Tech’s Khalil Herbert also impressed with his quickness. And Demetric Felton, primarily a tailback at UCLA, played a bunch in the slot and looked really good.

• Wisconsin-Whitewater interior OL Quinn Meinerz came in as a dice-roll pick by the Senior Bowl staff, and he really changed some people’s minds on him. Showing good strength and an ability to handle a power rush answers what’s always going to be a question for a Div. III lineman trying to make it to the NFL. Western Michigan’s Jaylon Moore was another lineman who stood out, with his ability to play four positions. Conversely, Bama’s Alex Leatherwood wanted to prove this week he could play left tackle in the pros and showed the athleticism to pull it off.

• A couple safeties who elicited mention and were interesting to me: Virginia Tech’s Divine Deablo and Florida State’s Hamsah Nasirildeen. Why? They’re both gigantic. So fire up your Kam Chancellor comps.

And so begins draft season. Big shout out to Senior Bowl executive director Jim Nagy and his staff. What they pulled off this week, under these conditions, was pretty mind-blowing.

I watched some of the Senior Bowl and the one that stuck out to me was Kellen Mond. He really played well.

15: R1 P15 QB Zach Wilson - BYU
46: R2 P14 LB Zaven Collins - Tulsa
96: R3 P32 DL Tedarrell Slaton - Florida
119: R4 P15 DL Tyler Shelvin - LSU
138: R4 P34 WR Shi Smith - South Carolina
144: R4 P40 WR Marquez Stevenson - Houston
158: R5 P14 OT Dillon Radunz - North Dakota State
198: R6 P13 CB DJ Daniel - Georgia
240: R7 P15 EDGE Chauncey Golston - Iowa

...mock draft. Any good?

...mock draft. Any good?

...mock draft. Any good?
Yeah, it's good.
I'm no expert but I have some ideas of what BB likes. Caserio missing will hopefully change the discussion of the draft board back to BB's root thinking.
My comments are for thought and discussion & certainly aren't written in concrete. The more views the merrier - up to a point.
Which mock did you use?

Was Mac Jones gone? This poses an interesting question for BB, choosing between the 2. Can't believe he dropped. Good pick!

This is a another good pick. He's McGinest-like & can play any LB position or Edge.
The 2nd rnd is the sweet spot for a really good productive WR and we need one badly. I'd have gone WR here (Rondale Moore, Terrance Marshall, Toney, Elijah Moore and Tylan Wallace.) unless BB picks one or 2 up in FA. (Or TE Friermuth) I hope BB gets a WR in FA so he can choose a front 7 defensive playmaker with this pick. I like yours.
But, yeah, we need a LB, realizing S Jevon Holland is on BB's mind.

Slaton is a 4th rnd pick on my board. Maybe OL here as there are some good ones here. Our OL is getting too short and Thuney, our tallest at 6'5" is a FA.

You make up for Slaton in the 3rd by scooping Shelvin in 4th. I have Shelvin as a 2nd rnd guy.

Good value here. Smith is a 3rd rnd value on my board. Slot guy.

He's not on my board as a good value for the Pats/BB although some team will probably like him in the 3rd round or possibly even 2nd. Personally I like guys like Stevenson but BB doesn't get excited about these smaller flashy guys. In general, my rule for drafting WRs is if you can't get at least a 3rd rnd value (by BB's definition) it's better to wait til the 7th for high priority udfas or to simply sign udfas. Too many other positions can be filled with players with better value who will actually play for you mid to late in the draft.

He held his own at the Senior Bowl and people took notice. This tackle class is loaded with great players at the top and has very good players throughout. He's the 12th tackle on WalterFootball's list as a 3rd round pick. Wow. Great value in the 5th. He needs some refinement but he has size & tools to work with.

CB is another skilled position like WR that I believe would be wasted this late in the draft unless you know you're changing him to a S. You're not going to get anyone who will likely ever play a down for you unless he's picked strictly for his STs skills and Daniel doesn't have that in his arsenal as far as I know. In the 6th I'd be looking for a great value, esp. in the trenches, who slipped bc of some reason or a STs standout. Maybe an extra camp arm if there's room for development. Daniel is too small to change to a S.

Here's where I'd go high priority udfa - iow, a guy other teams want & are going to bid the price up on after the draft. Here's where I'd try to pick up a skills guy (like WR or CB), an OL guy or a big fatty to mold into shape.

Last edited:
All of the edge players were gone...I was looking for a TE, and they were gone too.

Fanspeak was the mock sim.
Yeah, it's good.
I'm no expert but I have some ideas of what BB likes. Caserio missing will hopefully change the discussion of the draft board back to BB's root thinking.
My comments are for thought and discussion & certainly aren't written in concrete. The more views the merrier - up to a point.
Which mock did you use?

Was Mac Jones gone? This poses an interesting question for BB, choosing between the 2. Can't believe he dropped. Good pick!

This is a another good pick. He's McGinest-like & can play any LB position or Edge.
The 2nd rnd is the sweet spot for a really good productive WR and we need one badly. I'd have gone WR here (Rondale Moore, Terrance Marshall, Toney, Elijah Moore and Tylan Wallace.) unless BB picks one or 2 up in FA. (Or TE Friermuth) I hope BB gets a WR in FA so he can choose a front 7 defensive playmaker with this pick. I like yours.
But, yeah, we need a LB, realizing S Jevon Holland is on BB's mind.

Slaton is a 4th rnd pick on my board. Maybe OL here as there are some good ones here. Our OL is getting too short and Thuney, our tallest at 6'5" is a FA.

You make up for Slaton in the 3rd by scooping Shelvin in 4th. I have Shelvin as a 2nd rnd guy.

Good value here. Smith is a 3rd rnd value on my board. Slot guy.

He's not on my board as a good value for the Pats/BB although some team will probably like him in the 3rd round or possibly even 2nd. Personally I like guys like Stevenson but BB doesn't get excited about these smaller flashy guys. In general, my rule for drafting WRs is if you can't get at least a 3rd rnd value (by BB's definition) it's better to wait til the 7th for high priority udfas or to simply sign udfas. Too many other positions can be filled with players with better value who will actually play for you mid to late in the draft.

He held his own at the Senior Bowl and people took notice. This tackle class is loaded with great players at the top and has very good players throughout. He's the 12th tackle on WalterFootball's list as a 3rd round pick. Wow. Great value in the 5th. He needs some refinement but he has size & tools to work with.

CB is another skilled position like WR that I believe would be wasted this late in the draft unless you know you're changing him to a S. You're not going to get anyone who will likely ever play a down for you unless he's picked strictly for his STs skills and Daniel doesn't have that in his arsenal as far as I know. In the 6th I'd be looking for a great value, esp. in the trenches, who slipped bc of some reason or a STs standout. Maybe an extra camp arm if there's room for development. Daniel is too small to change to a S.

Here's where I'd go high priority udfa - iow, a guy other teams want & are going to bid the price up on after the draft. Here's where I'd try to pick up a skills guy (like WR or CB), an OL guy or a big fatty to mold into shape.

I remember asking this before and I can't remember the answer! Is Carson Wentz salvageable? Could we do something with him or does he have fundamental flaws that cannot be fixed?

It that time of the year that player rankings by some sites do not come close to mock drafts on NFL Network or Mel and Todd. It will start coming closer together as time gets closer to the draft.

I remember asking this before and I can't remember the answer! Is Carson Wentz salvageable? Could we do something with him or does he have fundamental flaws that cannot be fixed?

It seems like he likes to adlib a little too much, which would tell me he would not be to BBs liking at all. Also, it seems like his teammates weren't too thrilled with him, so it doesn't seem like he is Pats material.

When a player stops accepting coaching and does whatever he thinks is best, it's best to cut ties.
See Brandon Meriweather and Jamie Collins...

Back