The 2021 Draft- We Need This One

He's in my 3rd tier of WRs bc of his small size - 5'9", 175. He's slightly built.
He's not really a sleeper. Everyone who follows the draft or college football is aware of Darden.
He's a great player with plus skills but "can he stay healthy in the NFL" is a common thought.

Amari Rogers, 5'9", 210, is a sturdier alternative.

Last edited:
The between the ears stuff is most important and Mac Jones has shown he has that. Arm strength, mechanics, pocket movement all that is secondary to our offense and it comes naturally or it can be taught which brings me right back to the between the ears stuff. His arm strength is plenty good anyway. People who point to that as a negative are making up problems, imo.
I find it hard to gauge arm strength in College guys except in obvious cases, but he seemed to me to have at least adequate zip on his deep balls and out cuts which tend to need it. Plus,
he wastes no time pulling the trigger and his release looks quick enough.

Horses for courses. We don't need a guy who has a gun but isn't able to command our system because his CPU bonks out in the middle of a play. My research on Jones indicates that he is an exceptional student and has a long list of academic achievements to go with the apparent mastery of the Alabama offense, which he showed quite soon. I'll be curious to
see his Wonderlic score. Brady scored a 33, which is very good, but not close to Ryan Fitzpatrick's 48. Hell, we all thought Eli Manning was a dope and he got a 39. As an aside, Frank Gore scored a 6, so no wonder he had such a short career.

That's what I keep coming back to. Just how impressed with Brady's eidetic football memory Belichick was very early on and every time Bill tested him he showed
that he was ready to take on more. I'm not saying Jones is as smart as Brady at tackle football. Almost nobody has been, but I wouldn't be surprised if Mac
is one of those exceptional football minds that'll be around long after the guys with the cannons in this draft are looking at life after football.

Exactly what separates a great QB from another that looked like he should be great is a hard thing to quantify.

I find it hard to gauge arm strength in College guys except in obvious cases, but he seemed to me to have at least adequate zip on his deep balls and out cuts which tend to need it. Plus,

Horses for courses. We don't need a guy who has a gun but isn't able to command our system because his CPU bonks out in the middle of a play. My research on Jones indicates that he is an exceptional student and has a long list of academic achievements to go with the apparent mastery of the Alabama offense, which he showed quite soon. I'll be curious to
see his Wonderlic score. Brady scored a 33, which is very good, but not close to Ryan Fitzpatrick's 48. Hell, we all thought Eli Manning was a dope and he got a 39. As an aside, Frank Gore scored a 6, so no wonder he had such a short career.

That's what I keep coming back to. Just how impressed with Brady's eidetic football memory Belichick was very early on and every time Bill tested him he showed
that he was ready to take on more. I'm not saying Jones is as smart as Brady at tackle football. Almost nobody has been, but I wouldn't be surprised if Mac
is one of those exceptional football minds that'll be around long after the guys with the cannons in this draft are looking at life after football.

Exactly what separates a great QB from another that looked like he should be great is a hard thing to quantify.
Wonderlic is a trivial test imo...it would be more important for a QB to have a decent score than a RB though.

Most mock drafts have Jones going in the 1st round already. I'm pretty sure that if BB wants him, he's going to have to either use the #15 on him, or, trade down a few spots and get another pick on day 2 or 3.

Davis Mills might be another QB who could be decent...

Would BB franchise Thuney again...and flip him to the Bungles or another team for extra ammo in this year's draft?

Would BB franchise Thuney again...and flip him to the Bungles or another team for extra ammo in this year's draft?
Thuney on the tag is 17.7 mil. I don't see anyone giving us anything for that. The Pats are probably best off letting him walk for the 3rd next year, if they cannot work out a long term deal.

15: R1 P15 QB Zach Wilson - BYU
46: R2 P14 LB Zaven Collins - Tulsa
96: R3 P32 DL Tedarrell Slaton - Florida
119: R4 P15 DL Tyler Shelvin - LSU
138: R4 P34 WR Shi Smith - South Carolina
144: R4 P40 WR Marquez Stevenson - Houston
158: R5 P14 OT Dillon Radunz - North Dakota State
198: R6 P13 CB DJ Daniel - Georgia
240: R7 P15 EDGE Chauncey Golston - Iowa

...mock draft. Any good?
I really llike your picks of Collins, Shelvin and Stevenson. Wilson I don't know much about tbh. But I also like the ChevSS454 is thinking with his assessments as well. All of them are positions of need for us. If they help the team I am good with that.

All of the edge players were gone...I was looking for a TE, and they were gone too.

Fanspeak was the mock sim.

Try PFF's mock. It's great fun since they throw all kinds of realistic trade proposals at you.

I've learned that drafting at 15 is a helluvalot more fun than drafting at 32. It's really hard to go wrong!

Thuney on the tag is 17.7 mil. I don't see anyone giving us anything for that. The Pats are probably best off letting him walk for the 3rd next year, if they cannot work out a long term deal.

This is what I expect will happen and what Joe deserves.

I think he is a perfect guy for our system and was a big reason why the OL was ranked 4th overall. He can execute anything he is asked to do and he is asked
to do a lot for us. His ability to move and find the right timing and angle on an opponent is phenomenal. He is still not an outstanding drive blocker in terms
of getting movement, but we are going to miss him. His best career game, imo, was when he contained Aaron Donald in the Super Bowl by himself. It was
amazing to watch and he got little credit for it. He's the only guard in the league that is quick enough to get position and neutralize Donald's lightning-fast hands.

There has to be a better way to keep guys like him and still be fair to the player. No guard is worth that kind of money, but Thuney is worth a lot. I'm going
to miss watching him. Our only chance to keep him is if the market turns out to be even worse than predicted and you can get that number down to !0 or less on
a long-term deal. Sure, people say you can plug Onwenu in, but I want that kid staying right where he is or moving to LT.

I almost expect Onwenu to move to LT bc Cannon says he's coming back. That would allow Wynn to move inside.

Try PFF's mock. It's great fun since they throw all kinds of realistic trade proposals at you.

I've learned that drafting at 15 is a helluvalot more fun than drafting at 32. It's really hard to go wrong!

Not crazy with the result. I guess drafting by needs is not a great idea.

1613084865357.png

Gore is still playing & is the 3rd all-time leading rusher.

Gore is still playing & is the 3rd all-time leading rusher.
I should have put a sarcasm indicator on my reply. I suppose I meant that the wonderlic is simply an interesting thing and no sure predictor
of what kind of career anybody will have. Still, if anyone has tried a sample test, it's hard to imagine how anybody could score a 6. Gore absolutely
amazes me because no position has the short shelf life of running back and he's been playing forever.

Back