The 2021 Draft- We Need This One

His last sentence is the money statement. Basically he is saying Jimmy wins. Took us to the SB and we believe he will get better. In other words, there isn't a better option out there especially as his contract value.

I think Shanahan has a lot of questions regarding JG's injuries and his performance on the field, ie, his 46/26 td/int ratio, as well as whether he wants a run first or pass first team. For the last 4 years the 9ers have been a run first team but then in the SB Shanny did what he did in Atlanta and passed first. That led to an 11 pt loss with JG throwing 2 ints. Alternatives to JG are needed but there are questions about JG that need answers, too. SF has already paid him a ton of money for the 30 games he's played in for them the last 4 years..

I think Shanahan has a lot of questions regarding JG's injuries and his performance on the field, ie, his 46/26 td/int ratio, as well as whether he wants a run first or pass first team. For the last 4 years the 9ers have been a run first team but then in the SB Shanny did what he did in Atlanta and passed first. That led to an 11 pt loss with JG throwing 2 ints. Alternatives to JG are needed but there are questions about JG that need answers, too. SF has already paid him a ton of money for the 30 games he's played in for them the last 4 years..
I agree with all of this. The Niners are in a tough spot.

Alabama WR DeVonta Smith has been named the AP college football player of the year. He's the first WR to win the award since it was established in 1998.
Smith is also a finalist for the Heisman Trophy; winner will be announced on January 5.

Alabama WR DeVonta Smith has been named the AP college football player of the year. He's the first WR to win the award since it was established in 1998.
Smith is also a finalist for the Heisman Trophy; winner will be announced on January 5.
And Mac Jones right behind. Way too early to tell but Jones might hanging around when the Pats are on the clock.

And Mac Jones right behind. Way too early to tell but Jones might hanging around when the Pats are on the clock.
I'd be happy with either Mac Jones or Kyle Trask although right now I'm liking Trask a bit more since he's done more with less and his int rate is crazy good.
They're a lot alike in many ways - both served as backups for most of their college careers, both were patient and played very well when their name was called, both were thought of as game managers until they became game changers in their biggest games. Neither has a huge arm but both have been tutored well & know how to get the job done from the years they spent as backups. Intangibles are very good with both - intelligence, discipline, persistence, patience, dedication, desire and work ethic. Both have had great coaching.
Both may be available for the Pats at 14.

Last edited:
PFF's 10 best single game performances of the year for the college season.

1. Florida TE Kyle Pitts vs. Ole Miss (Week 4)​

It was the kind of game that featured jaw-dropping play after jaw-dropping play from players on both sides. Even still, it was difficult to come away from it and not rave about how the tight end of all people was easily the best player on the field.
Pitts caught eight passes on nine targets for 170 yards and four scores. His four other catches all went for first downs, and he broke two tackles in the process. After an offseason of hype surrounding Pitts’ potential, he showed in his first game this season that he’s a different breed at the position than what we’ve seen in some time.

I'd be happy with either Mac Jones or Kyle Trask although right now I'm liking Trask a bit more since he's done more with less and his int rate is crazy good.
They're a lot alike in many ways - both served as backups for most of their college careers, both were patient and played very well when their name was called, both were thought of as game managers until they became game changers in their biggest games. Neither has a huge arm but both have been tutored well & know how to get the job done from the years they spent as backups. Intangibles are very good with both - intelligence, discipline, persistence, patience, dedication, desire and work ethic. Both have had great coaching.
Both may be available for the Pats at 14.

More on Mac Jones - he'll likely be facing two of college football’s best defenses in the playoffs & that will be massive for Jones’ evaluation. It’s just hard for me to really put a firm stamp of approval on him with how easy his job has been in that loaded offense.

Trask vs Bama was both good and bad. His last drive wasn't good. I know, just a snapshot, but, it was the first that I've seen from him.

More on Mac Jones - he'll likely be facing two of college football’s best defenses in the playoffs & that will be massive for Jones’ evaluation. It’s just hard for me to really put a firm stamp of approval on him with how easy his job has been in that loaded offense.

That's a recurring dilemma with Bama players. Another example is Bama's Devonta Smith, their WR who was named AP'S College Player of the Year. He's great and all that but I have WR Jamaar Chase higher on my list.

Also Wilson > Fields but not by a lot. For an NFL HC who wants a QB with running skillz, Fields > Wilson

Trask vs Bama was both good and bad. His last drive wasn't good. I know, just a snapshot, but, it was the first that I've seen from him.

Florida was spent at the end of the game. But look at his stats. He outperformed Mac Jones with fewer weapons. Both players performed great, though and either would fit the Pats very well imo.

Quarterbacks​

There seems to be growing momentum that a change at the most important position might happen in Santa Clara. Is Jimmy Garoppolo the answer? I think we have seen more than enough from Nick Mullens, and C.J. Beathard riding the bench this long should tell you all you need to know about Shanahan’s trust in him. Josh Rosen? I’ve seen stranger things, but it’s a LONG shot at best. Anyhow, there will be plenty of debates and discussions about who will be playing quarterback for the 49ers. For now, here are my rankings for the prospected 2021 Draft Class.
  1. Trevor Lawrence - Clemson
  2. Justin Fields – Ohio State
  3. Zach Wilson – BYU
  4. Trey Lance – North Dakota State
  5. Mac Jones – Alabama
  6. Kyle Trask – Florida
  7. Jamie Newman – Georgia
  8. Brock Purdy – Iowa State
  9. Kenny Pickett – Pittsburgh
  10. Kellen Mond – Texas A&M

Wide Receiver:​

1. Ja’Marr Chase – LSU
  2. De’Vonta Smith – Alabama
  3. Jaylen Waddle – Alabama
  4. Rashod Bateman - Minnesota
  5. Rondale Moore – Purdue
  6. Amon-Ra St. Brown – USC
  7. Terrance Marshall – LSU
  8. Dazz Newsome – North Carolina
  9. Tylan Wallace – Oklahoma State
  10. Chris Olave – Ohio State

Tight End:​

1. Kyle Pitts – Florida
  2. Brevin Jordan – Miami
  3. Pat Freiermuth – Penn State
  4. Jake Ferguson – Wisconsin
  5. Charlie Kolar – Iowa State
  6. Matt Bushman – BYU
  7. Jeremy Ruckert – Ohio State
  8. Trae Barry – Jacksonville State
  9. Quintin Morris – Bowling Green
  10. Trey McBride – Colorado State

Offensive Line​

The San Francisco 49ers will have some decisions to make along the offensive line. Will Trent Williams be back in 2021 and beyond? Who is playing center? Can Mike McGlinchey rebound and become the right tackle we all hoped he would be when the Niners drafted him in 2018? A lot of questions…and I don’t know about you, but this is one of the last areas of the field I want a lot of questions and concerns about.
  1. Penei Sewell – Oregon
  2. Wyatt Davis – Ohio State
  3. Rashawn Slater – Northwestern
  4. Alijah Vera-Tucker – USC
  5. Samuel Cosmi - Texas
  6. Christian Darrisaw – Virginia Tech
  7. Jalen Mayfield – Michigan
  8. Trey Smith – Tennessee
  9. Jackson Carman – Clemson
  10. Alex Leatherwood – Alabama

Defensive Line​

1. Kwity Paye – Michigan
  2. Christian Barmore – Alabama
  3. Levi Onwuzurike – Washington
  4. Daviyon Nixon – Iowa
  5. Jay Tufele – USC
  6. Marvin Wilson – Florida State
  7. Jared Goldwire – Louisville
  8. Jerome Johnson – Indiana
  9. Jordan Davis – Georgia
  10. LaBryan Ray – Alabama

Linebacker:​

1. Micha Parsons – Penn State
  2. Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah – Notre Dame
  3. Joseph Ossai – Texas
  4. Azeez Ojulari – Georgia
  5. Zaven Collins – Tulsa
  6. Nick Bolton – Missouri
  7. Dylan Moses – Alabama
  8. Baron Browning – Ohio State
  9. Jabril Cox – LSU
  10. Chazz Surratt – North Carolina

Many mocks show either Mac Jones or Kyle Trask to the Pats at 14. I won't bother to post the 20 or so mocks I've looked at. We're going to be seeing a lot of these mocks in the coming months. No, I won't show many more as they are all pretty much the same and also pretty worthless beyond pick 5-6.

1. Trevor - jags
2. Zach Wilson - JETE
4. Justin Fields - Falcons
10. Trey Lance - Denver

14. New England Patriots: QB Mac Jones, Alabama​

The Cam Newton experiment has not panned out in New England. Through Week 16, he ranks just 26th in PFF passing grade (67.1). Jones is currently outperforming Tua in what is still a loaded ‘Bama offense and currently ranks second behind BYU’s Wilson in PFF grade (95.3) among all FBS quarterbacks.

26. Kyle Trask - Tampa Bay

Use this to do your own

Many mocks show either Mac Jones or Kyle Trask to the Pats at 14. I won't bother to post the 20 or so mocks I've looked at. We're going to be seeing a lot of these mocks in the coming months. No, I won't show many more as they are all pretty much the same and also pretty worthless beyond pick 5-6.

1. Trevor - jags
2. Zach Wilson - JETE
4. Justin Fields - Falcons
10. Trey Lance - Denver

14. New England Patriots: QB Mac Jones, Alabama​

The Cam Newton experiment has not panned out in New England. Through Week 16, he ranks just 26th in PFF passing grade (67.1). Jones is currently outperforming Tua in what is still a loaded ‘Bama offense and currently ranks second behind BYU’s Wilson in PFF grade (95.3) among all FBS quarterbacks.

26. Kyle Trask - Tampa Bay

I still think they will trade down but not out of the 1st round

Back