The 2023 AFC East

Jets paying $51 million to the cap in 2025 when Rodgers will have retired by then is going to be funny. And I think $30-something in 2026.
The "all-in on the X year window" philosophy vs the "be in the mix every year and excel at situational football to be disproportionately successful in the playoffs" philosophy.

The "all-in on the X year window" philosophy vs the "be in the mix every year and excel at situational football to be disproportionately successful in the playoffs" philosophy.
The thing is, the 'all-in' approach, doesn't have a very high success rate. Even the Rams a couple of years ago, they tried to go all-in for 3 straight years, and now they're going to be trash for half-a-decade.

Which, now that we have the benefit of hindsight - was Sean McVay really the uber-genius he was made out to be? Or did his GM just load up on talent for a short-window run?

The thing is, the 'all-in' approach, doesn't have a very high success rate. Even the Rams a couple of years ago, they tried to go all-in for 3 straight years, and now they're going to be trash for half-a-decade.

Which, now that we have the benefit of hindsight - was Sean McVay really the uber-genius he was made out to be? Or did his GM just load up on talent for a short-window run?
Yeah, I thoroughly disagree with the all-in/window approach, except in terms of individual incremental decisions.

There are plenty of people who think the Bills and Dolphins have gone all in this year. They make pretty good arguments.

You were? Show me the 'picks' on the 'best divisions'.
It wasn’t a thread but more the general talk about the upcoming season just like we have now talking about the 2023 season.

There are plenty of people who think the Bills and Dolphins have gone all in this year. They make pretty good arguments.
The Jets too.

Jets paying $51 million to the cap in 2025 when Rodgers will have retired by then is going to be funny. And I think $30-something in 2026.
I am shocked Rodgers took a pay cut. He must really want to equal Brady and Manning by winning a championship with a second team. Also, I would imagine that all of them Mahomes talk is really getting to him too.

Just heard the Jets are going strong at Cook.

The Jets have pretty much sucked for 50 years. I’ll take an all in, one year Super Bowl and then go back to sucking.
In some ways it is more frustrating to be a "good" team that never wins the SB but is always in the mix versus sucking every year and then having one magical year. There is no feeling in the world that compares to your team winning the chip.

I am shocked Rodgers took a pay cut. He must really want to equal Brady and Manning by winning a championship with a second team. Also, I would imagine that all of them Mahomes talk is really getting to him too.
He didn't actually take a pay cut. He's making the same money. He just allowed the Jets to kick the can down the road 3 years.

The Jets have pretty much sucked for 50 years. I’ll take an all in, one year Super Bowl and then go back to sucking.
Of course. And you should. I would in your position too.
I have my $51 million for a retired guy jokes already queued up for 2025 though. It's actually Bobby Bonilla, but 50 times funnier. :coffee:

Of course. And you should. I would in your position too.
I have my $51 million for a retired guy jokes already queued up for 2025 though. It's actually Bobby Bonilla, but 50 times funnier. :coffee:
Bobby Bonilla is my hero.

All other 3 teams in the AFCE are in bad shape CAP-wise over the next couple years. Fins and Bills are already over the 2024 CAP based on existing contracts. As soon as this league year ends, they're going to have to go on a major cutting spree to be able to signed 2024 rookies even if they sign zero FAs.

By comparison, estimated cap space for AFCE teams with # of players signed:

2024 (est CAP = $256)
Pats: $107 - 54
Jets: $16 - 56
Fins: -$32 - 55
Bills: -$25 - 56

2025 (est CAP = $282)
Pats: $217 - 31
Jets: $122 - 45
Fins: $101 - 32
Bills: $55 - 32

2026 (est CAP = $308)
Pats: $286 - 13
Jets: $184 - 24
Fins: $166 - 11
Bills: $129 - 17

All other 3 teams in the AFCE are in bad shape CAP-wise over the next couple years. Fins and Bills are already over the 2024 CAP based on existing contracts. As soon as this league year ends, they're going to have to go on a major cutting spree to be able to signed 2024 rookies even if they sign zero FAs.

By comparison, estimated cap space for AFCE teams with # of players signed:

2024 (est CAP = $256)

2025 (est CAP = $282)
Pats: $217 - 31
Jets: $122 - 45
Fins: $101 - 32
Bills: $55 - 32

2026 (est CAP = $308)
Pats: $286 - 13
Jets: $184 - 24
Fins: $166 - 11
Bills: $129 - 17
The thing many seem to forget looking at these numbers is the fact that many thinks change as the teams extend players. I am only guessing but I would expect the pats number to decrease by about 10-20 % before next season.

The thing many seem to forget looking at these numbers is the fact that many thinks change as the teams extend players. I am only guessing but I would expect the pats number to decrease by about 10-20 % before next season.
Oh, for sure., at least for the Pats. Going to be hard for the Bills, Jets, and Phins cap number to decrease :D

The numbers are from overthecap.com, and not absolute, chiseled-in-stone numbers. Thet're just imperfect snapshots and there's also whether the cap liability is a guaranteed amount or whether the player can be cut without consequence, and whether or not a team has just locked up a key player(s) for years. There are a lot of variables, but though each team is unique, on the average all teams will have a combination of possibities.

Still, whatever these are, at the start of next leave year when $256 mil is added to every team's cap, I think in general it would be better to have $107 mil available vice $16 mil or even have to cut players just to get to $0.

2024 (est CAP = $256)

overthecap.com

Back