the 34th for Cassell AND Vrabel

Fair deal, or simply to clear up $ for FA, in addition?
fair trade....take the names out and look at what you traded in terms of investment

look at is this way

you sign a free agent get the prime of his career ability out of him, during this time you pick a 7th round QB who never played in college, groomed him, exploited his talent for a season to draw interest

now you trade the free agent, who only cost you contract money, and the 7th round pick to a team for the 34th over all pick in the draft...take the names out and it is a great deal

I still don't like the trade. Cassel alone was worth a 1st but i can settle with a 2nd. But we should have got another draft pick for VRabel in the deal.

Very fair trade, $20 million in cap space saved and more or less 2 first round picks albeit 2nd round #34 overall.popcorn

Matt Schaub... no Vrabel.... 2 second rounders....

I understand Vrabel is most of the way down the backside of the hill and that he was due a big cap number, but still.... he had to be worth a 6th rounder.

So by including Vrabel, we are in essence saying that Cassel is worth LESS than what we got, assuming Vrabels adds minimal value. Not enough

Matt Schaub... no Vrabel.... 2 second rounders....

I understand Vrabel is most of the way down the backside of the hill and that he was due a big cap number, but still.... he had to be worth a 6th rounder.

So by including Vrabel, we are in essence saying that Cassel is worth LESS than what we got, assuming Vrabels adds minimal value. Not enough

agreed if would have been fair trade for just Cassel but throwing Vrabel in it we should had at least got a sixth.

Been reported that both Detroit and Tampa came sniffing around, looking at Cassel in order to move him to Denver for Cutler....

Very curious as to what they would offer.... or a three way deal. Cassel to Denver, Cutler to (team C) and picks and changes in rounds for everybody...

Denver and Tampa are both mid to late first round teams, are they not...

Creativity could have made this better, IMHO.

Man I cannot believe we didnt get a 1st rounder for cassel, it seems like some idiot said that was possible awhile back and got blasted for it.

We got #$^&ed. We got hosed. We got buttreamed. Plain and simple. A 2nd-rounder for a Franchise Tagged QB as well as a solid veteran LB? #$^&. #@$^&* @#$&* @$^&*. Did I say @^$&*, by the way? Cassel BY HIMSELF should've been worth a mid 1st-rounder.

If this is how the deal pans out, it shows that maybe the brains were with Pioli all along and not with Belichick. :coffee:

We got #$^&ed. We got hosed. We got buttreamed. Plain and simple. A 2nd-rounder for a Franchise Tagged QB as well as a solid veteran LB? #$^&. #@$^&* @#$&* @$^&*. Did I say @^$&*, by the way? Cassel BY HIMSELF should've been worth a mid 1st-rounder.

If this is how the deal pans out, it shows that maybe the brains were with Pioli all along and not with Belichick. :coffee:

:shake:Trying to insight a riot are we:shake:
:D

ROFL....how dare someone make this prediction that we might not get a first for cassel.

When I hearld about this trade I said WTF a just a second rounder. I think the pats should have got a lot more in the trade.

When I hearld about this trade I said WTF a just a second rounder. I think the pats should have got a lot more in the trade.

ANd I think I should be paid alot more than I am and that oh let's see I should win the lottery.

IT FRICKING IS WHAT IT IS. I thought I was the emotional one around here I guess in all things other than football. ;)

On paper I think the Pats gave up too much, but, you really can't accurately judge this trade for another couple of years anyway. Cassel could turn out to be a complete flop or a super stud, the pick could turn out great or a bust, etc etc

Plus they really didn't have the luxury of being patient because of all that cap space being used, hampering them from improving the team and/or taking care of their own(Wilfork). I truly think Peppers is a target too.

I had time to read the details of the trade and reese explanation on why it was a good one. I

I feel like I just got kicked in the balls. All offseason, we had heard how Cassel was "more valuable than any of the QBs in the draft." I assumed that, AT MINIMUM, we would be getting a first round pick for Cassel. But then when you add in that we lost Vrabel too and didn't even get a first rounder...it just sucks. It's a great trade for KC, as they improve at QB, LB, and still have the No. 3 pick in the draft. But for us...I don't see how anyone can put a positive spin on this one.

It's obvious other teams didn't think Cassel was worth a #1, BB got the best deal he could, this needed to be done sooner than later with 14 mil tied up in Cassel.

Lets see what BB doe's before we decide teh 09 season is a failure:shrug:

It's only day 2 of free agency and the Pats have pleny of picks.

I'd feel a lot better if we got a 1st instead of a 2nd rounder. Still, no place here for Cassel and Vrabel probably only has one or two good seasons left in him. Defense needs to get younger fast and this helps.

Back