The NFL on Friday released a statement 1/23/15

I've noticed a few folks sniffing around the same theory over the last two days. It's probably too good to be true and I don't pretend to know what happened, but until I have some facts to digest I'm going with this:

Anytime there is a "crime" an investigator will look for motive. If you believe that Brady had zero to do with it, and I do, then is it a set-up? And if it really is a set-up then who has motive?

Last week, Indianapolis coach Chuck Pagano said he had spoken to the Ravens staff and NFL officiating chief Dean Blandino about the unusual formation New England used during a divisional-round win over Baltimore. Pagano had worked on John Harbaugh's staff in Baltimore before taking the Colts' job early in 2012.

And I'm sure that Harbaugh filled his head with some other interesting observations. Like maybe how to poke the bear. Get back at that smartypants Belichick by acting like a matador throwing a dart at a bull. Use a little gamesmanship to get under his skin:

On Monday, Pagano also acknowledged he had spoken with the refs before kickoff against New England, though he did not say whether the air pressure in the footballs came up during the discussion.

Maybe Pagano DID mention the "suspicions" at that point and acted as a dupe to carry out the wishes of his former boss while Harbaugh sat around his office watching the game with his pals and laughing his ass off at the havoc he could wreak even though he was hundreds of miles away.

None of this explains why the balls allegedly measured soft, but maybe that was just shit luck. Weather related or something and the merry pranksters caught lightning in a bottle and then clammed the hell up because they underestimated the career-threatening shitstorm they had unleashed.

Maybe the whole thing was just to piss Belichick off and nobody figured that it would end up like it did. Gamesmanship that went too far.

It's all fun and games until somebody loses an eye.

As I said in another thread, the words that likely set this in motion were uttered last week after the "deceptive" formation: "Study the rule book and figure it out" - Thomas Edward Brady.

Harbaugh was not taking that jab laying down.

As I said in another thread, the words that likely set this in motion were uttered last week after the "deceptive" formation: "Study the rule book and figure it out" - Thomas Edward Brady.

@SharksofVegas is still standing behind their source saying the NFL has no evidence, and the Patriots will not be penalized.

I suppose there is no use telling you to relax, because this flap has a lot of us seeing nazis in the woodpile. It's easy enough to envision some nefarious revelations hurting the team we love, but I'm fine with the whole thing for the following reasons:

Ahhhhh, my favorite phrase from the (not so) great No Respect meltdown (or Dark Times, as it was sometimes referred to).

Good times.

Normally, no, but that's what their source said.

I guess I'm not sure how they can be that confident now that forensics team is involved. The whole thing reminds me of when the Department of Insurance would show up to audit our files. We called those fund-raising trips because they're going to find "something." I know this because the guy they sent over told me so. It's his job to find things he can fine us for because thats how the DOI makes money. He's not leaving until he does find something.

I'm not trying to troll here, but I think you guys might be in trouble and I genuinely hope I'm wrong about that. Whatever happens I just hope its transparent but I have serious doubts about that.

@SharksofVegas is still standing behind their source saying the NFL has no evidence, and the Patriots will not be penalized.

They are. But they've also tweeted that "an official announcement is expected over the weekend." Doesn't the League only make their official pronouncements from on high during standard business hours? That's what I've always thought, although I've never specifically noticed. Just curious.

I'm with you, this isn't going to have a good outcome. Nothing adds up
that's been reported and other than the league telling us they've brought in the "scorpion" team from homeland security, deflated footballs is all the evidence they've shared.
Roger has looked like dog shit with the Rice incident I'm sure he'll be looking
to show he's not the Idiot he is. This is going to be a boomtown for the NFL
but he's still going to sodomize someone within this Org.

I totally disagree. He's looking harder because he hasn't found squat yet. They interviewed 40 people and had dozen of camera at the game. I don't think anyone cracked, nor did they catch anything on camera. Otherwise someone (or a leak) would be shouting it from the rooftops. Now they're basically into the territory of either finding what actually DID happen (since so far I believe they've found no wrongdoing from the Pats), or proving a negative.

That's why they've brought in the forensics guys. To run the same scientific tests we've seen on the net this week and probably some we haven't thought of yet (materials science-type stuff, etc).

There's lots of haters out there and since this has blown up the national media is watching too. Goodell simply saying "We don't know so nevermind" just wouldn't cut it with a lot of people. On all sides.

I totally disagree. He's looking harder because he hasn't found squat yet. They interviewed 40 people and had dozen of camera at the game. I don't think anyone cracked, nor did they catch anything on camera. Otherwise someone (or a leak) would be shouting it from the rooftops. Now they're basically into the territory of either finding what actually DID happen (since so far I believe they've found no wrongdoing from the Pats), or proving a negative.

That's why they've brought in the forensics guys. To run the same scientific tests we've seen on the net this week and probably some we haven't thought of yet (materials science-type stuff, etc).

There's lots of haters out there and since this has blown up the national media is watching too. Goodell simply saying "We don't know so nevermind" just wouldn't cut it with a lot of people. On all sides.

He's just waiting for TMZ to provide the evidence for him.

It's weird. The reason the NFL could be going totally OTT on this is because other teams have been whining about this and Goodell said f**k it and tried a little sting operation and now he has to find something by hook or by crook....

Forensics is code for electronic scouring team. They are going to comb thru all servers and phones for any and all records, not from just last weekend either.

Forensics is code for electronic scouring team. They are going to comb thru all servers and phones for any and all records, not from just last weekend either.

Because there might be a VM or email that says "Don't forget to let some air out of the balls after the officials approve them"? :huh: Doesn't seem likely to me at all.

It's just madness. Reading on FB that Pats fans in other states who had Pats flags etc up in their houses, cars are finding their windows smashed and falls etc ripped up.

People really do need to get a grip.

I guess I'm not sure how they can be that confident now that forensics team is involved. The whole thing reminds me of when the Department of Insurance would show up to audit our files. We called those fund-raising trips because they're going to find "something." I know this because the guy they sent over told me so. It's his job to find things he can fine us for because thats how the DOI makes money. He's not leaving until he does find something.

I'm not trying to troll here, but I think you guys might be in trouble and I genuinely hope I'm wrong about that. Whatever happens I just hope its transparent but I have serious doubts about that.

In other words, WITCH HUNT

I hadn't seen this theory of yours, but I like it quite a bit.

Harbaugh apparently took Tom up on that and I don't believe he put himself in a position to get disciplined or fined by the NFL if he did assist in planting a seed, but at very least he will look like a bitter, sore loser to the public if it all surfaces in the report or another way.a

I'm going to be disappointed if this isn't pretty close to the truth, but at this point I really don't care what happens as long as they don't pin anything significant on us.

I hadn't seen this theory of yours, but I like it quite a bit.

Harbaugh apparently took Tom up on that and I don't believe he put himself in a position to get disciplined or fined by the NFL if he did assist in planting a seed, but at very least he will look like a bitter, sore loser to the public if it all surfaces in the report or another way.a

I'm going to be disappointed if this isn't pretty close to the truth, but at this point I really don't care what happens as long as they don't pin anything significant on us.

I was thinking the same thing... Pats have been doing this football thing and most folks just rolled their eyes and looked the other way as it's not a big deal... but after that snarky remark by TB (which we Pats fans got a kick out of at the time) Harbaugh does this.

Remember with Spygate, Herm Edwards saying they all knew what BB was doing and they'd smile and wave at his camera.... till Mangina gets pissy, reports it and now league has to do something.

IMO - Roger Cooked this up weeks ago being a Patriot Hater.. Nothing done by NE or TB was any different than it was done his entire career.. He picked out the Balls as hes done everytime before.. But Roger got a clue from A Rogers that some like em different so he investigated and found Tom liked em soft.
Roger knew a Patriot SB makes them the Greatest Dynasty the Greatest QB so the plan was hatched to put a stain on the team get them off the game plan and hope it derails the Win... if not he can give it a black eye.

Shane Mathews said in his career he has seen QB's do tons of things to balls including putting them in a dryer , soaking them in cleaning fluids and spraying them with compressed air. Said R Cunningham liked them way over that he couldnt even grip one of his.

The Refs are the ONLY ones that could be found at fault with anything not up to par with the ball as they put them into play ... EVERY damn QB picks the balls they like if the refs approve them **** everyone else. AND since everyone does it everyone stands to be guilty of any findings by King Roger. NO Team is free of the findings because only the PATRIOTs balls were tested making it a bias ruling... No One knows what the Colts Balls were at or Seattles or GBs ... Any findings will be incomplete and all this BS has done nothing but allow NE to get slandered. :shrug:

I'll take the bet. The league already exonerated ole Walt IMO.

No, I don't think so. My suspicion is that the PSI of the balls was not actually tested before the game and probably rarely are. Testing them precisely would deflate them a bit and that's not something the refs would want to do after the QBs have approved them. I suspect that Brady's balls are always under inflated. It's not the responsibility of players to penalize themselves.

No, I don't think so. My suspicion is that the PSI of the balls was not actually tested before the game and probably rarely are. Testing them precisely would deflate them a bit and that's not something the refs would want to do after the QBs have approved them. I suspect that Brady's balls are always under inflated. It's not the responsibility of players to penalize themselves.

Our office has been conducting an investigation as to whether the footballs used in last Sunday’s AFC Championship Game complied with the specifications that are set forth in the playing rules. The investigation began based on information that suggested that the game balls used by the New England Patriots were not properly inflated to levels required by the playing rules, specifically Playing Rule 2, Section 1, which requires that the ball be inflated to between 12.5 and 13.5 pounds per square inch. Prior to the game, the game officials inspect the footballs to be used by each team and confirm that this standard is satisfied, which was done before last Sunday’s game.

Sure sounds like an exoneration to me, but hopefully I'm wrong.

Back