The Official Real Life Happens PP Member Support Thread

That cat in your picture looks to be very sensitive? We've had cats like that who know when you're ill or sad etc and they react.

He looks like he knows you've been through the mill and are recovering.

That cat in your picture looks to be very sensitive? We've had cats like that who know when you're ill or sad etc and they react.

He looks like he knows you've been through the mill and are recovering.

He's a good kitty. We rescued him when he outgrew kitten status at a pet store while buying dog food. They literally said he was going to be put down and I couldn't leave without him and yes, he's a very smart cat he's in tune with what's going on. I think he's 17 or 18 now. The other cat was also rescued in a similar fashion, but he doesn't give a fuck.

I'm having some lunch. As bad as hospital food appears to be when they're bringing it to you, you never fully realize it until you have food, once you get home.

Last edited:
But why was the cat buying dogfood?

😆

My first thought exactly as well.

I'd say, "Great minds think alike." or something like that. But you've got a good reputation to uphold. So, I'll step aside. 😆

So, I am 18 days post-op and comfortable at home. I worked the last two days. Keeping things slow and low stress as much as I can. It just isn't my nature, though. :)

Been walking a little more each day adding .10 miles a day. Did 1.4 miles today. Damn happy with that. Tomorrow will be 1.5. Once I get to 3 miles walking I will replace .10 mile at the beginning of my foray outside running and increase that run portion .10 each day until I am back running three miles each day. I can only imagine how great I should feel by then.

We had a post op meeting with the surgeon and he said the valve was down to 20% functionality before the surgery. Hard to believe as I had no pain and no other outward symptoms. Thank God it was so noisy it could not be ignored. I can only imagine how good running 3 miles with 90-98% heart functionality will feel like. Crazy.

Tomorrow is my next PET Scan. If clean we will go 6 months b4 the next. If not clean, welp, we need a new plan.

So, I am 18 days post-op and comfortable at home. I worked the last two days. Keeping things slow and low stress as much as I can. It just isn't my nature, though. :)

Been walking a little more each day adding .10 miles a day. Did 1.4 miles today. Damn happy with that. Tomorrow will be 1.5. Once I get to 3 miles walking I will replace .10 mile at the beginning of my foray outside running and increase that run portion .10 each day until I am back running three miles each day. I can only imagine how great I should feel by then.

We had a post op meeting with the surgeon and he said the valve was down to 20% functionality before the surgery. Hard to believe as I had no pain and no other outward symptoms. Thank God it was so noisy it could not be ignored. I can only imagine how good running 3 miles with 90-98% heart functionality will feel like. Crazy.

Tomorrow is my next PET Scan. If clean we will go 6 months b4 the next. If not clean, welp, we need a new plan.
Glad to hear that things are going well.
Speaking of not having symptoms. I had aortic aneurysm surgery last year. I had another CAT scan recently and met with my surgeon. For the first time I heard it was a very difficult and complicated surgery. That is why I had another CAT scan only 1 year out from surgery. Normally they do that 5 years from from surgery.
Also, for the first time my surgeon told me that if my primary care doctor hadn't ordered a routine test, I would have been dead in 3 months maximum, with no symptoms, until about 3 minutes before it ruptured. Too late to do anything then.
You are doing remarkably well. What I was told, many times, was to listen to your body. Don't baby it, but It will tell you when you can go further or when you should stop. When it tells you to stop, you should stop.

Last edited:
Glad to hear that things are going well.
Speaking of not having symptoms. I had aortic aneurysm surgery last year. I had another CAT scan recently and met with my surgeon. For the first time I heard it was a very difficult and complicated surgery. That is why I had another CAT scan only 1 year out from surgery. Normally they do that 5 years from from surgery.
Also, for the first time my surgeon told me that if my primary care doctor hadn't ordered a routine test, I would have been dead in 3 months maximum, with no symptoms, until about 3 minutes before it ruptured.
You are doing remarkably well. What I was told, many times, was to listen to your body. Don't baby it, but It will tell you when you can go further or when you should stop. When it tells you to stop, you should stop.

100%!

The cardio-thoracic surgeon tells me I can go back to max effort in the gym. I was surprised by that. My regular cardiologist was less supportive of heavy weights. I think I can get back in shape using moderate weight. Shit, I am 56 years old now. Should ANY 56 year old be straining to max lift anything? I want to get my cardiovascular system back in shape and add a little muscle tone. That. Is. All.

5:30am. Been awake since 4am. Might be a little nervous about this scan this morning (might?). Any positive thoughts or especially out right prayers for a clean scan would be greatly appreciated. Just talk to Him about the Mac Jones bald guy fan in Michigan. Pretty sure I am the only one.

Actually, HE will know now matter what.

Last edited:
100%!

The cardio-thoracic surgeon tells me I can go back to max effort in the gym. I was surprised by that. My regular cardiologist was less supportive of heavy weights. I think I can get back in shape using moderate weight. Shit, I am 56 years old now. Should ANY 56 year old be straining to max lift anything? I want to get my cardiovascular system back in shape and add a little muscle tone. That. Is. All.

5:30am. Been awake since 4am. Might be a little nervous about this scan this morning (might?). Any positive thoughts or especially out right prayers for a clean scan would be greatly appreciated. Just talk to Him about the Mac Jones bald guy fan in Michigan. Pretty sure I am the only one.

Actually, HE will know not matter what.
You got this. You wouldn't be able to do what you have been doing if there was any further problems.
How do I know this? I was told by doctors, physical therapists, and occupational therapists, that I wouldn't have been able to do what I did if there were problems after surgery. And, I wasn't doing close to what you are doing.
So, you got this.
Just wanted to say that now because we are going to get hit tonight with a brutal Noreaster. According to the local news, we are all going to die.:unsure:

Good news/Bad news

The good news? As far as my limited medical test reading comprehension goes, it appears to me that my recent PET Scan was good. I won't get the official read from my oncologist until she gets back from vaca on Thursday. But it does appear good. Thank God.

The bad news? I am back in the hospital. Blood clots in my arms. A new deep clot was found in my left arm. Since I am already on Eloquis and a new clot still developed they admitted me this morning and now have me on IV Heparin. Will likely be here at least two days, maybe three. :(

Of course, should the deep clot make its way to my head or my lungs that could be fatal so it makes sense for them to be aggressive and for me to shut my trap about it. :shrug-n:

So now I am watching the B's/Panther's game on a TV I almost have to look straight up to watch. LOL. Now 2-1 B's!!!!

Attachments

• IMG_1272.jpeg
    IMG_1272.jpeg
    267.6 KB · Views: 1
Good news/Bad news

The good news? As far as my limited medical test reading comprehension goes, it appears to me that my recent PET Scan was good. I won't get the official read from my oncologist until she gets back from vaca on Thursday. But it does appear good. Thank God.

The bad news? I am back in the hospital. Blood clots in my arms. A new deep clot was found in my left arm. Since I am already on Eloquis and a new clot still developed they admitted me this morning and now have me on IV Heparin. Will likely be here at least two days, maybe three. :(

Of course, should the deep clot make its way to my head or my lungs that could be fatal so it makes sense for them to be aggressive and for me to shut my trap about it. :shrug-n:

So now I am watching the B's/Panther's game on a TV I almost have to look straight up to watch. LOL. Now 2-1 B's!!!!
Sorry (((((hugs)))))) I had blood clots after my second spinal surgery Im still on blood thinners 15 years and 4 surgery’s later . You are in my thoughts my friend.

~Dee~

@aloyouis
damn, dude! you're like the terminator...you'll be back!

TBH, this shit just needs to stop.

That said, IIWII. The second clean pet scan is AWESOME. The results, so far, of the open heart valve and root replacement are great. So while I have a little way to go on the heart I am on the right track.

The clots are just the next thing. Sooner or later something will be the last thing and I will be on a long vacation with my wife and we will begin to enjoy the fruits of our life's work labor. I can already tell my frugalness is over. I bought a Z4 convertible last December and I have been driving the tires off of it. Rear wheel drive, too much power, an incredible stereo that causes my Apple Watch to warn me about noise everytime I drive it and tires that handle like the car is on rails that have no business calling themselves "all season". I have been out in the snow with it. In the past I would never drive that car in anything but the summer on dry roads. Actually, in the past I would NEVER buy that car to begin with. ;)

So, I'm sitting here in the CPCU typing this and watching a CNN expose on the nineties (yes, me watching CNN, you know shit is upside down). Sometimes I edit these posts to make sure I don't come off in some odd or weird or sad way. I don't give a shit anymore. When I get out of here I am going to retire and start having fun and only fun to the extent I can make that happen.

I think I need new irons and a new putter. Definitely need new golf shoes.

Oncology came by on their rounds this morning as they own the blood clots (with cardiology input). Dr. Ahktar casually said the following:

"The treatment (cancer) has been a miracle. You are in remission." He actually used those words.

So that was a nice way to be woken up this morning. 🥹

No guarantee things will stay this way but sheesh that is a BIG first step. I share the BS with you folks so I thought I would share the good stuff!

Still buying new clubs.

Last edited:
Oncology came by on their rounds this morning as they own the blood clots (with cardiology input). Dr. Ahktar casually said the following:

"The treatment (cancer) has been a miracle. You are in remission." He actually used those words.

No guarantees things will stay this way but sheesh that is a BIG first step. I share the BS with you folks so I thought I would share the good stuff!

Still buying new clubs.
Congratulations!! I'm happy for you. 🤘

No guarantees things will stay this way but sheesh that is a BIG first step. I share the BS with you folks so I thought I would share the good stuff!

Still buying new clubs.
Your white blood cells were trained by Bruce Lee.

No guarantee things will stay this way but sheesh that is a BIG first step. I share the BS with you folks so I thought I would share the good stuff!

Still buying new clubs.
Bravo! Fantastic news! You're well on your way now to recovery.

The blood clots are a pain, I have to watch them myself and am on double daily doses of Ticagrelor for the next year. Only thing is I have to be careful with razors etc. I barely glanced my shoulder against a door frame two weeks ago and the bruise that followed was ridiculous. Just be careful and you;ll be A1.

Back