The Official Real Life Happens PP Member Support Thread

How you feel and how you are reacting to it is all normal. Like Dee, Lynn and I have lost our parents and her younger sister. It takes time to make it easier to deal with. I hope that this has the effect of driving you and your sisters closer somehow. Grief does things sometimes. When we lost my mom in a nursing home alone during covid it drove my brother and I closer. I hope the same for you and your sisters.
Thank you, buddy.

We don't live near each other maybe that would help( or worse). I just ask for help to forgive them. But it isn't easy as many might feel.

Thank you, buddy.

We don't live near each other maybe that would help( or worse). I just ask for help to forgive them. But it isn't easy as many might feel.

I totally get it. My brother and I live a distance apart (me in MI, him in PA) and that does present issues but at least we text and talk and our families have spent some (limited) time together. Any progress is good and welcomed.

I suggest a pragmatic approach when you are ready for it. What do I mean by that? I mean in situations like these the ends justify the means as long as we are moral and ethical in our efforts. And no, this is no where close to as easy as I make it out. to be.

Thank you so much. 💕 💕 💕

My dad well I was five and I was not allowed to go see him due to the age. That sucked since I could not say good bye. I have few memories of him. Mom thankfully I was by her side when she passed.
I talk to my mom and dad and even my mother-in-law all the time. Lost them all in 2023, The memory eternal thing.

I planted an extra special garden this year for dad. He taught me how over the years. I miss them all but feel their presence.
Memory eternal.

I talk to my mom and dad and even my mother-in-law all the time. Lost them all in 2023, The memory eternal thing.

I planted an extra special garden this year for dad. He taught me how over the years. I miss them all but feel their presence.
Memory eternal.
All in one year, that sucks :( I know another member here posted how many they have lost as well.

With Alzheimer's rampant on that side of the family is why I take lots of pictures, videos and write things down for when I can't, hence the book I need to start on with the CD of all the audio I have with my mom. I have one of my mom and her dad singing French songs on a CD I will include that also.

Can you tell me what was in your extra special garden? Sounds like a great tribute.

I took 2 years off in planting one. Dad died nov 2. I came home and started digging, getting soil prepared, adding compost, etc , maKING SURE NO GRUBS IN SOIL. I PLANTED 2 KINDS OF CUCUMBERs 3 DIFFERENT TOMATOES SWISS CHARD 4 DIFFERENT KINDS OF PEPPERS, SPINACH, MINT, ITALIAN PARSLEY REGULAR PARSLEY, GREEK OREGANO, Shoot sorry about the caps.I didnt look up at the screen, Kale, cabbage. Going to add bush beans and eggplant soon.

oh and I clipped some grape vines I have and replanted them in a different section of my property. I hope they take . I am going to call it pappous place.
Thinking of going to get a fig tree too

Last edited:
I took 2 years off in planting one. Dad died nov 2. I came home and started digging, getting soil prepared, adding compost, etc , maKING SURE NO GRUBS IN SOIL. I PLANTED 2 KINDS OF CUCUMBERs 3 DIFFERENT TOMATOES SWISS CHARD 4 DIFFERENT KINDS OF PEPPERS, SPINACH, MINT, ITALIAN PARSLEY REGULAR PARSLEY, GREEK OREGANO, Shoot sorry about the caps.I didnt look up at the screen, Kale, cabbage. Going to add bush beans and eggplant soon.

oh and I clipped some grape vines I have and replanted them in a different section of my property. I hope they take . I am going to call it pappous place.
That is beautiful, love, love, and love it. Do you have any pictures? I love that. Well done.

My mom wad a knitter for ever it seems. I am getting back into knitting and am using her needles and her mom's needles. I will be making my son home made slippers (that he asked for) with them. I already told him the needles belonged to memere and her mom. Dad I am not even sure. I have uniform shirts of his in my closet. I am thinking of doing something with them. He was very small when he passed after being sick for such a long time if you go by the shirts. I do have his wallet. My son's wallet is falling apart and I will pass it on to him. My sisters don't know I have the wallet or shirts. When I asked mom for the wallet and why since he had nothing from him, mom was happy to give them to me. The shirts I am not sure if my sisters would use them in anyway to be honest. They won't fit me so am thinking of framing one or make it into a pillow. I am not sure and I don't think that is honoring him like mom.

I just remembered my son has one of my mom's rosary.

That is beautiful, love, love, and love it. Do you have any pictures? I love that. Well done.

My mom wad a knitter for ever it seems. I am getting back into knitting and am using her needles and her mom's needles. I will be making my son home made slippers (that he asked for) with them. I already told him the needles belonged to memere and her mom. Dad I am not even sure. I have uniform shirts of his in my closet. I am thinking of doing something with them. He was very small when he passed after being sick for such a long time if you go by the shirts. I do have his wallet. My son's wallet is falling apart and I will pass it on to him. My sisters don't know I have the wallet or shirts. When I asked mom for the wallet and why since he had nothing from him, mom was happy to give them to me. The shirts I am not sure if my sisters would use them in anyway to be honest. They won't fit me so am thinking of framing one or make it into a pillow. I am not sure and I don't think that is honoring him like mom.

I just remembered my son has one of my mom's rosary.
I do, the garden is still immature. 3 weeks old. Took a while to get the soil better. I'll wait for a sunny day and take a current pic, There are sokme on somewhere from previous gardens,

Can you tell me what a rosary is? I know it's a Catholic thing. But what does it mean to you? I am sure it has meaning.

For anyone who gets to Christ. I am all for it. Time to batten down the hatches,

Devbating whether I have it in me to get even more vocal on thew other side of this board.

Anyway my sincere condolences for everyone's struggles and losses.

It is tough. Too much spit at us,
I know wrong thread,
I apologize,
I am frustrated,

Last edited:
I do, the garden is still immature. 3 weeks old. Took a while to get the soil better. I'll wait for a sunny day and take a current pic,

Can you tell me what a rosary is? I know it's a Cathoilic thing. But what does it mean to you? I am sure it has meaning.

For anyone who gets to Christ. I am all for it. Time to batten down the hatches,
That is fantastic. Yes, last year we could not get the soil right like the previous year where everything bloomed happily. Than my husband said out of the blue, "Yeah, I didn't put any fertilizer in it." Ah, duh.

I know this is not the PR thread but will keep it light.

I was taught how to say one at a very young age.

I don't say it as much as I feel I should.

But what does it mean to me? I feel closer inside to my faith. I feel the relationship I am forming brings me to that in some way. It makes me happy especially since my mom was religious. She had I kid you not, since I cleaned her apartment and found them, at least 20-30 rosaries that I saw. I once asked her why so many and her answer made me happy. She said I have one for each of you girls. I have one for this relative. I have one for this problem , whether that was a world problem, hers or someone else. I keep it light and use the same one for everything. Though I do have quite a bit of rosaries. My sisters did not want her rosaries when I told them about them. Mom was still with us but had been moved to the home. I think they might have taken one but am not sure. The funny part is my oldest sister mentioned to put them in a yard sale to which my middle sister and I said no very loudly since they are all blessed. Even the broken ones.

No one wanted them so I took them. The broken ones you can bury and I kid that I have the holiest land in my neighborhood just due to how many I buried in my back yard. Hey, ever bit helps, right?

It is hard to explain the feeling of saying one. It fills me with hmm it makes me feel safe in a way. It helps me connect,

I am not sure if any of this made sense. Sorry if it didn't.

Well, there's a little news that I haven't shared at this point:

About 15 years ago, I discovered that I had a bicuspid aortic valve that I was born with. It never stopped me from playing sports of any kind all the way up through adult hockey and coaching youth hockey. We just kept an eye on it. Unfortunately the events associated with my Hodgkin lymphoma, and the treatment there of exacerbated the demise of my valve. However, we needed to put the valve replacement surgery off until we could get to a spot where the lymphoma was at least under control. We scheduled the valve replacement surgery for March 15. Unfortunately, due to the constant turbulence caused by the malformed valve an aneurysm formed in the aortic root necessitating open heart surgery. Not fun stuff. I went in last Friday. I had the valve and root replaced. So far, the surgery appears to have been a success. In case you're wondering what that looks like. Here's a picture of my chest in the horizontal position, post surgery. Cow valve btw.

1711064794331.png

Suffice to say, it's been quite the eventful 18 months for me. Hopefully, I get out of the hospital tomorrow, but no guarantees.

It's important for me to state that the last 30 years have been idyllic. To go through the last 18 months has been a huge pain in the ass, but I still feel like I've gotten off easy relative to how good life has treated me.

So, that's the latest....

About 15 years ago, I discovered that I had a bicuspid aortic valve that I was born with. It never stopped me from playing sports of any kind all the way up through adult hockey and coaching youth hockey. We just kept an eye on it. Unfortunately the events associated with my Hodgkin lymphoma, and the treatment there of exacerbated the demise of my valve. However, we needed to put the valve replacement surgery off until we could get to a spot where the lymphoma was at least under control. We scheduled the valve replacement surgery for March 15. Unfortunately, due to the constant turbulence caused by the malformed valve an aneurysm formed in the aortic root necessitating open heart surgery. Not fun stuff. I went in last Friday. I had the valve and root replaced. So far, the surgery appears to have been a success. In case you're wondering what that looks like. Here's a picture of my chest in the horizontal position, post surgery. Cow valve btw.

View attachment 26050

Suffice to say, it's been quite the eventful 18 months for me. Hopefully, I get out of the hospital tomorrow, but no guarantees.

It's important for me to state that the last 30 years have been idyllic. To go through the last 18 months has been a huge pain in the ass, but I still feel like I've gotten off easy relative to how good life has treated me.

damn...at this point, i think you're bionic!💪🦾
glad you made it through and are recovering!

View attachment 26050

Are you gonna “Moo!” now? 🥴🤣☕

View attachment 26050

So, I'm sitting here watching March Madness. Then I check in during a commercial and see this.
What are you trying to do, keep the entire medical profession in Michigan employed? :D
Seriously dude, I hope this is your last problem. You have had more than your share of crap. But you are like the old Timex watch. You take a licking but keep on ticking.
Get better fast, golf season is almost here.

So, I'm sitting here watching March Madness. Then I check in during a commercial and see this.
What are you trying to do, keep the entire medical profession in Michigan employed? :D
Seriously dude, I hope this is your last problem. You have had more than your share of crap. But you are like the old Timex watch. You take a licking but keep on ticking.
Get better fast, golf season is almost here.
Thanks PP I know your sarcasm is very heartfelt. There’s more information to come on my bicuspid aortic valve and how that moves from generation to generation and also skips generations.

It’s just been a shitty year and a half but I mean it when I say that since meeting my wife back in 1991 so many things have gone right. First of all my wife Lynn herself! If you knew her back, then you would have been just as stunned as me that she was single at almost 30. Then fortunate careers and after a slow start, three beautiful, smart good natured kids came along in 33 months. There is so much more.

So while I don’t believe that life has to even out, I do believe that life tends to even out and so i’ll keep my nose down into the dirt until we get through this rough stretch.

Plus, I have a wicked facking scar!

Just need everything to heal up as I now have over 7 feet of wire holding my breast plates together. Going through airport security is going to be interesting for me for the rest of my life, lol.

Thanks PP I know your sarcasm is very heartfelt. There’s more information to come on my bicuspid aortic valve and how that moves from generation to generation and also skips generations.

It’s just been a shitty year and a half but I mean it when I say that since meeting my wife back in 1991 so many things have gone right. First of all my wife Lynn herself! If you knew her back, then you would have been just as stunned as me that she was single at almost 30. Then fortunate careers and after a slow start, three beautiful, smart good natured kids came along in 33 months. There is so much more.

So while I don’t believe that life has to even out, I do believe that life tends to even out and so i’ll keep my nose down into the dirt until we get through this rough stretch.

Just need everything to heal up as I now have over 7 feet of wire holding my breast plates together. Going through airport security is going to be interesting for me for the rest of my life, lol.
Good luck my friend. Your attitude is infectious and I’m sure it will help speed up your recovery. Your in my thoughts.

~Dee~

View attachment 26050

Nice boobies.

As I said, you have had more than your share so hopefully you have a full and quick recovery.
Last year I had a large aortic aneurysm down by my abdomen. Everyone told me that it was a big surgery but I didn’t think it was that involved. After the surgery my surgeon told me that I needed a CAT Scan in a year.
My surgical scar runs from under my ribs almost to the Mr Happy area, 11.5 inches.
I thought that follow up CAT Scan was routine. I met with my surgeon yesterday. She told me that both the aneurysm and the surgery was anything but routine. It was difficult, complicated, at times nip and tuck. They usually only do a follow up CAT scan 5 years after the surgery.
She told me that they are using my surgery as a teaching case for Med School students. And the fact that I had recovered so well and quickly was a factor in using it as a teaching case.
I didn't know any of that last year.
Having just found out all this yesterday and then finding out what happened to you, just makes me want to bring up that recovery can be quick and complete if you are motivated, don't push it,but don't back away from doing what you need to do to help the recovery process.
I know that you will. You have a lot of reasons to motivate you.

View attachment 26050

You're winning this thread you know... :coffee:

Seriously, all the best in your recovery from this. Hoping with the nicer weather moving in (well, some day it will eventually have to move in) that it will aid with that. Also, if you stop following the Pats for the next 1-2 years, that may also help.

Back