The Official Real Life Happens PP Member Support Thread

Bravo! Fantastic news! You're well on your way now to recovery.

The blood clots are a pain, I have to watch them myself and am on double daily doses of Ticagrelor for the next year. Only thing is I have to be careful with razors etc. I barely glanced my shoulder against a door frame two weeks ago and the bruise that followed was ridiculous. Just be careful and you;ll be A1.

Totally. I am on a double dose of Eliquis for a week. They had me on 2.5mg before the open heart and 5mg after it. Now 20mg for a week and then 10mg thereafter. Many warnings on falling down and banging into stuff and yes, no razors other than electric. Watching the staff be so careful with poking me for blood samples and putting in and taking out the IV's pounded home the seriousness of the potential for bleeding. When a needle or IV came out they stayed on it with gauze and heavy pressure (to the point of it being painful) for 3-5 minutes. They aren't kidding.

Yes, great news that I was not expecting. What is weirding me out quite a bit is both his casual blurting it out and just how bad he then presented my case was when first diagnosed. I had been told 60% chance of survival by my oncologist (same practice group), but he made it sound like 6%. He replayed the original scan on his computer for me and then the one from last Wednesday. SO, SO different. It was clear this morning that he didn't expect the results we have now. What a weird feeling I have now about it. I can't wait to meet with my oncologist on Thursday. She has some (good natured) 'splainin' to do. :)

I have tires to wear out on this sunny Michigan day. I am outta here!

This is a happy post actually but it’s real life.
Been down at our place in FL since the first of the month. Been pretty busy getting ready for our son’s wedding next Wednesday in the Keys. Really excited except that I have to drive 6 hours down there from Venice. LOL. On the other hand it’s a shorter ride than the 24 hours from New England. Never been to the Keys and hear it’s a gooooood time.

Been down at our place in FL since the first of the month. Been pretty busy getting ready for our son’s wedding next Wednesday in the Keys. Really excited except that I have to drive 6 hours down there from Venice. LOL. On the other hand it’s a shorter ride than the 24 hours from New England. Never been to the Keys and hear it’s a gooooood time.

Congrats PW! Enjoy the Keys.

But enjoy your boy and his bride way more! I am not ashamed to say I feel a twinge of jealousy!

Be careful about being invited to any "parties" down there.by the locals!

Been down at our place in FL since the first of the month.
Been pretty busy getting ready for our son’s wedding next Wednesday in the Keys. Really excited except that I have to drive 6 hours down there from Venice. LOL. On the other hand it’s a shorter ride than the 24 hours from New England. Never been to the Keys and hear it’s a gooooood time.

Be careful about being invited to any "parties" down there.by the locals!

I "understand" The Keys is big on body painting "festivals" tho :)

yCapture.JPG

Congrats PW! Enjoy the Keys.

But enjoy your boy and his bride way more! I am not ashamed to say I feel a twinge of jealousy!
Oh, we're thrilled. This gal is the real deal. Masters in psychology, mental health pro, and has her own practice started. She's just a sweetheart and drop dead gorgeous on top of it all. I told my son quite a while back... "that girl is a keeper, son".

Oncology came by on their rounds this morning as they own the blood clots (with cardiology input). Dr. Ahktar casually said the following:

"The treatment (cancer) has been a miracle. You are in remission." He actually used those words.

So that was a nice way to be woken up this morning. 🥹

No guarantee things will stay this way but sheesh that is a BIG first step. I share the BS with you folks so I thought I would share the good stuff!

Still buying new clubs.
Hell yeah you should get new clubs

Hell yeah you should get new clubs

As soon as I can swing a club I will be at PXG in Troy MI to get fitted. I think I am still a month away from that swing ability. I am now 36 days post chest cracking. The wound is healing nicely. The 3 clots are still present and my left arm is getting a little worse. I will be looking to get in with the cardiologist ASAP Monday morning. It is probably just par for the course with blood clots but it has me a little concerned.

Taking Seamus to the groomer in a few. Super glad to be back driving and with the warmer weather using the Z4 even with the top up. The dang seat belt is a PITA as it slowly tightens as you drive (BMW "safety") irritating the wound. Small price to pay for being free to come and go on my own again! Ordered a seat belt cushion.

I wasn't going to post this picture but then I noticed that RG posted a picture of an "American Flag" up above and that was okay so...:ROFLMAO:

This is my axe wound (as the wife calls it). It really is healing well. The gray-ish dot up high on my chest is the chemo port. They want you to keep it in for 18 months. The two "dashes" below are where 2 of the 3 drainage tubes were for 4 days post surgery. I will let you figure out where the 3rd "drainage" tube was and no I don't have a picture of that one, LOL.

The seat belt cushions arrive today (4 of them for $8.99 from Amazon, man are we gonna miss cheap Chinese shit someday) and the weather is going to be 65° and sunny. I will be tooling around the county later today- top down and stocking hat on. Maybe stop by PXG and look around...

tempImageaTwyAD.png

Last edited:
I wasn't going to post this picture but then I noticed that RG posted a picture of an "American Flag" up above and that was okay so...:ROFLMAO:

This is my axe wound (as the wife calls it). It really is healing well. The gray-ish dot up high on my chest is the chemo port. They want you to keep it in for 18 months. The two "dashes" below are where 2 of the 3 drainage tubes were for 4 days post surgery. I will let you figure out where the 3rd "drainage" tube was and no I don't have a picture of that one, LOL.

The seat belt cushions arrive today (4 of them for $8.99 from Amazon, man are we gonna miss cheap Chinese shit someday) and the weather is going to 65° and sunny. I will be tooling around the county later today- top down and stocking hat on. Maybe stop by PXG and look around...

View attachment 26660
That looks REALLY good, man.

That looks REALLY good, man.

They close you back up differently these days. A friend of mine had his mono-cuspid valve replaced 12 years ago (mine WAS bi-cuspid) and he has the expected 1/8-1/4 inch row of scar tissue across the entire length of his opening due to staples and sutures. I have 4 plates (3 titanium and 1 "bone") under my wound and ribs the length of the opening along with 16 screws (12 gold, 4 titanium) holding my breast plates together and the tissue was glued back together on the inside and the outside. This new way produces a much tighter chest immediately after surgery and a much less obvious scar. I don't have Tom Selleck's chest hair but I have enough that when it grows back it may make the scar even less noticeable. TBH, I really don't care. I earned that scar and I am, in what I admit is a strange thing, somewhat proud of it. Crazy, but truthful.

The "dash" scars are worse than they should be due to a bout of ICU delirium that I went through for a couple of days post-op. At one point I stood up next to the bed and pulled those drain tubes out.:eek1: That earned me 2 days restrained to the bed. I remember none of that. Some folks are more susceptible to that condition post serious surgery than others and add in the sheer length of time I was heavily medicated during the 7 hour procedure along with my blood work still not being close to normal following the chemo and it was more likely to happen to me than most folks. It was worse on my family than it was on me as they had to witness the struggle whereas I remember nothing about it for the two days. When I woke up day three I thought it was day 1. I had tether burns on my forearms and shins that I noticed immediately and asked about. I thought the ICU nurse was screwing with me when he told me. When the wife and daughter came back from dinner they found me awake, not entirely coherent, and slowly filled me in over the next week. Heck, I am STILL finding out additional bits and pieces occasionally when we are all together.

Crazy.

Last edited:

The seat belt cushions arrive today (4 of them for $8.99 from Amazon, man are we gonna miss cheap Chinese shit someday) and the weather is going to be 65° and sunny. I will be tooling around the county later today- top down and stocking hat on. Maybe stop by PXG and look around...

View attachment 26660
Wait,I thought that I saw that same photo in the latest Tarzan movie. :lecture:

Back