The Patriots' 2024 Off Season Thread

I think the Pats would be smart to turn their FA targets away from WRs and toward the OL to sign some solid players who upgrade what we have.
agree, Build that into a solid unit. Get a QB and draft a couple WR and hope you hit on them

I think the Pats would be smart to turn their FA targets away from WRs and toward the OL to sign some solid players who upgrade what we have.
especially because wr class is supposed to be pretty solid(if that means anything...lol)
beyond just skill based on character i'm loving odunze rn.

Yes! Unlike the WR FA class where there are few or no quality WRs available, the is at least one top OT availble, plus our own Onwenu. The problem is the new Krafty regime is scaring me. I understand drafting and signing for value. BB was a master at it. But "I have a bad feeling about this, Chewy."

I don't like the signs from the front office. The negotiations with Bourne (for example) is troubling me because he wanted to stay but broke off negotiations. Now the Patriots announced they've offered him a contract. WTF?! Why negotiate in the press? Why box Bourne in a corned by telling everyone the ball is in his court? If it was an offer designed to entice him to sign, just offer him the contract and he signes it. No need to air this publicly.

Sign him and tell us. I'm afraid the notice that "we offered him a contract" is designed to deflect "blame" when he turns it down. "Well, we tried to sign him." Well, "Do or do not" is the order of the day. Fuck "Try."

We're flushed with dollars. There is a top OT on the market and we have more cap available than our competitors. Sign him.

We need WRs and OTs. A WR who knows our system and did well with 2 Pats rookie QBs is available. Sign him. There is no "value" price here. THere are few WRs available and we're one of many teams that want one. Someimes situations make you forget value and get the job done whatever the cost. 20 years ago I broke down on the Jersey Turnpike. Blew a head gasket. The price the only garage at that exit charged me was wild. I could have done far cheaper in NH but I was in NJ and needed to get home. I paid the price, including a night in a motel that was overpriced, but I needed to get home for family reason.

Sometimes situations prevent you from getting a bargain, RKK. Do your job. Get us at least one each FA WR and OLinesman so we aren't super-constrained in the draft.

Kendrick Bourne, Tyron Smith, and Mike Onwenu are available. We have more money than almost every other team AND a greater need than any other team. Why are we dicking around? Just fucking do it.

I would like to improve the play at the OT position but don’t expect them to do that via external FAs due to the small amount of OTs available. Do expect them to prioritize OTs in the draft plus with Big Mike. Do expect that a couple of FA guards to be signed due to Strange’s injury status even though they spent a lot of resources on interior OL last year.

Other FAs should include TEs, S, Big fattie DL, CB, RBs, etc. Possibly kicker.
A comment on WR, think the Pats like the WR vets for the young QBs.

Yes! Unlike the WR FA class where there are few or no quality WRs available, the is at least one top OT availble, plus our own Onwenu. The problem is the new Krafty regime is scaring me. I understand drafting and signing for value. BB was a master at it. But "I have a bad feeling about this, Chewy."

I don't like the signs from the front office. The negotiations with Bourne (for example) is troubling me because he wanted to stay but broke off negotiations. Now the Patriots announced they've offered him a contract. WTF?! Why negotiate in the press? Why box Bourne in a corned by telling everyone the ball is in his court? If it was an offer designed to entice him to sign, just offer him the contract and he signes it. No need to air this publicly.

Sign him and tell us. I'm afraid the notice that "we offered him a contract" is designed to deflect "blame" when he turns it down. "Well, we tried to sign him." Well, "Do or do not" is the order of the day. Fuck "Try."

We're flushed with dollars. There is a top OT on the market and we have more cap available than our competitors. Sign him.

We need WRs and OTs. A WR who knows our system and did well with 2 Pats rookie QBs is available. Sign him. There is no "value" price here. THere are few WRs available and we're one of many teams that want one. Someimes situations make you forget value and get the job done whatever the cost. 20 years ago I broke down on the Jersey Turnpike. Blew a head gasket. The price the only garage at that exit charged me was wild. I could have done far cheaper in NH but I was in NJ and needed to get home. I paid the price, including a night in a motel that was overpriced, but I needed to get home for family reason.

Sometimes situations prevent you from getting a bargain, RKK. Do your job. Get us at least one each FA WR and OLinesman so we aren't super-constrained in the draft.

Kendrick Bourne, Tyron Smith, and Mike Onwenu are available. We have more money than almost every other team AND a greater need than any other team. Why are we dicking around? Just fucking do it.

I'm willing to give this new group some time to get their feet under them in terms of budgeting for value and worth with many millions at stake. I'll be patient with this new group.
FAs are untouchable until Monday.

Teams can begin negotiations with free agents next Monday, March 11, at 12 p.m. ET,
and players can officially be signed by new teams on Wednesday, March 13, at 4 p.m. ET with the start of the new league year.

Joe Gibbs showed everybody how to build a team back in the 80’s. You start with your lines and build back. He won 3 SBs with 3 different QBs, a feat still unmatched today. It always works

especially because wr class is supposed to be pretty solid(if that means anything...lol)
beyond just skill based on character i'm loving odunze rn.

Some think Odunze is as good as MHJ. I'm not going there yet as I'm still evaluating them but I'll say there isn't more than a 5% difference between them.
I have 5 WRs who are good enough to be drafted top 15. I have 8 WRs total with 1st rnd ability. This year could set a record for # of WRs drafted. I'm thinking
24-28 deserve it. Of those, 18-20 are ready to help a team right away.

Some think Odunze is as good as MHJ. I'm not going there yet as I'm still evaluating them but I'll say there isn't more than a 5% difference between them.
I have 5 WRs who are good enough to be drafted top 15. I have 8 WRs total with 1st rnd ability. This year could set a record for # of WRs drafted. I'm thinking
24-28 deserve it. Of those, 18-20 are ready to help a team right away.
Yeah, you could end up getting a Xavier Worthy, who obliterated the combine in several areas - early in the 2nd round. Depth is pretty damned decent at WR.

I will say the 5% difference between Harrison and Odunze (who I also really like) is polish. Harrison could start tomorrow for an NFL team seamlessly. Odunze is going to take half a year to get acclimated. Training Camp will be huge for Odunze, and hopefully he ends up somewhere with a WR coach that can teach him some footwork and separation subtleties. It's not bad by any means, but if you're looking for the 5%, that's where it is.

Yeah, you could end up getting a Xavier Worthy, who obliterated the combine in several areas - early in the 2nd round. Depth is pretty damned decent at WR.

I will say the 5% difference between Harrison and Odunze (who I also really like) is polish. Harrison could start tomorrow for an NFL team seamlessly. Odunze is going to take half a year to get acclimated. Training Camp will be huge for Odunze, and hopefully he ends up somewhere with a WR coach that can teach him some footwork and separation subtleties. It's not bad by any means, but if you're looking for the 5%, that's where it is.

MHJ is the most accomplished and nuanced route runner I've seen come out since Keenan Allen. MHJ makes it look easy.
While that's true, the situation they are drafted into makes all the difference. Odunze, being drafted later, should have a better QB and OL than MHJ to begin a career and
that could be the equalizer. If the Chiefs draft a QB with 32, say Adonai Mitchell, Jermaine Burton or Ladd McConkey, that guy would have a great situation right away.
Situation makes all the difference.

Joe Gibbs showed everybody how to build a team back in the 80’s. You start with your lines and build back. He won 3 SBs with 3 different QBs, a feat still unmatched today. It always works

I'd gladly sign OT Tyron Smith to a 1 yr deal for $10-11M. Then sign Onwenu --> Tackle problem solved then go for a starter OG to compete with Cole Strange who is always hurt.

Any of those QBs in the Hall of Fame.?
Just curious

On trading Mac, I think a trade to a team willing to give him a compete to start contract for a 5th with a conditional 2nd or 3rd if he throws for 15 TDs would be appropriate. Pitt & Denver come to mind.
A trade to a team that only wants him as a backup probably wouldn't include a conditional pick but that may be the only way. SF.

View: https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1766197291919045096

Last edited:
On trading Mac, I think a trade to a team willing to give him a compete to start contract for a 5th with a conditional 2nd or 3rd if he throws for 15 TDs would be appropriate. Pitt & Denver come to mind.
A trade to a team that only wants him as a backup probably wouldn't include a conditional pick but that may be the only way. SF.

View: https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1766197291919045096

What would the hit be for trading or cutting Mac? $4.9 mil?

Back