The Tom Brady Replacement Plan

subroc

Interested Observer
Reaction score
The Tom Brady Replacement Plan.

I have news for us all. There isn't one. The idea that Jimmy Garoppolo was drafted as the heir apparent to Tom Brady is merit less. He was drafted as a back-up developmental QB. He gives the team some cost control over the position rather than bring in a seasoned veteran with experience who could cost the team in the neighborhood of $5 mil a year. Jacoby Brissett was brought in for the same reason. An additional factor of having the 3rd QB was clearly the suspension, but it isn't like it was unprecedented that the Patriots carried 3 QBs.

Tom Brady will be the starting QB until...well...he isn't. Whether either of these guys is the next long term answer at QB for the Patriots has yet to be determined. This is no Joe Montana/Steve Young or Brett Favre/Aaron Rodgers situation.

I have news for us all. There isn't one. The idea that Jimmy Garoppolo was drafted as the heir apparent to Tom Brady is merit less. He was drafted as a back-up developmental QB. He gives the team some cost control over the position rather than bring in a seasoned veteran with experience who could cost the team in the neighborhood of $5 mil a year. Jacoby Brissett was brought in for the same reason. An additional factor of having the 3rd QB was clearly the suspension, but it isn't like it was unprecedented that the Patriots carried 3 QBs.

Tom Brady will be the starting QB until...well...he isn't. Whether either of these guys is the next long term answer at QB for the Patriots has yet to be determined. This is no Joe Montana/Steve Young or Brett Favre/Aaron Rodgers situation.

While the pats might have been drafting him for more, the idea that the pats are using the next 4 games to try and replace Brady at this point is silly. Brady did not win his job in 2001 because he played decent in his first few games, BB had other factors as said in his book, that a change was coming soon regardless but Brady did not have enough experience at that time. People need to understand that Brady's do not come along every year and that not everything that happens that is similar to another even will work out the same. I am sure at this point BB and the other coaches have an idea of what JG is at this point and this is the best case scenario and not an audition to bench Brady.

BB knows the answer...all fans can do is predict stuff. :coffee:

If Edelman foot . Is not 100% let him practice but keep him out of first 4 games . You can have Hogan , Amendola either Washington or Martin as your 3 starting WRs .

The Tom Brady Replacement Plan. I have news for us all. There isn't one. The idea that Jimmy Garoppolo was drafted as the heir apparent to Tom Brady is merit less. He was drafted as a back-up developmental QB. He gives the team some cost control over the position rather than bring in a seasoned veteran with experience who could cost the team in the neighborhood of $5 mil a year. Jacoby Brissett was brought in for the same reason. An additional factor of having the 3rd QB was clearly the suspension, but it isn't like it was unprecedented that the Patriots carried 3 QBs. Tom Brady will be the starting QB until...well...he isn't. Whether either of these guys is the next long term answer at QB for the Patriots has yet to be determined. This is no Joe Montana/Steve Young or Brett Favre/Aaron Rodgers situation.
No one has said that JG is the heir apparent.
Someone simply raised the hypothetical regarding if JG played amazingly well during that 4 game stretch.

I love how everyone knows what the plan is. Who's to say Jimmy G can't be great? You've not seen enough of what he can do to make a determination about anything. Will he be Tom Brady? Of course not, nobody is. Can he be a great QB is his own right? Let's find out, shall we?

Kid has an arm, he's been in the system and watched the GOAT. He'll get plenty of snaps in preseason. 0-4 disaster, 1-3 not good, 2-2 acceptable, 3-1 outstanding, 4-0 ain't happening.

I love how everyone knows what the plan is. Who's to say Jimmy G can't be great? You've not seen enough of what he can do to make a determination about anything. Will he be Tom Brady? Of course not, nobody is. Can he be a great QB is his own right? Let's find out, shall we?

NO, what some of us read was, Brady will not start after his suspension is up, that is what brought on this thread.

I don't know why people are so worked up over what if scenarios.

Apart from some silliness (There is no way that {insert your pet opinion here}), this is an opportunity to have a backup QB play four regular season games against two division rivals and two good NFC teams. How can that not be a good thing.

These games will surely affect BB's plan three years down the road, when the decision will have to be made to keep on with Brady or move on to the QB of the future. All I know for certain is:

1. Brady will not play forever. One day he will be replaced.

2. Unlike us, BB would NEVER say, "There is no way I'm ever going to...."

I don't actually know this, but I believe he didn't draft JG and Brissett for any reason other than he thought each of those guys could possibly help the team, more so than the other players who were available in the draft at that point.

If Edelman foot . Is not 100% let him practice but keep him out of first 4 games . You can have Hogan , Amendola either Washington or Martin as your 3 starting WRs .

I believe he won't be ready or they'll take the safe route if there's any concern. I also would be a little surprised to see Lewis out there game 1 also. Both are game changers in this offense. Lewis was absolutely electric last year and we've seen what 11 is all about. If this offense stays relatively healthy (No major season enders) and the oline returns to top 10-12ish level we will not be stopped. Not with Brady on a mission.

I think the most under the radar sports related story is Gronk/Bennett. The league hasn't seen two guys at the TE position this big, versatile and athletic. The match up problems it'll cause is unreal. I suspect all year we'll hear how the Pats offense is dictating the game plan, match ups and other teams player personnel on the field.

So basically, you're saying he'll be the starter until week 1 this season.

:stirpot:

I will say this again but IF we have any type of QB controversy after 4 games we will have hit the friggin jackpot with this STUPID thing. Our options will be limitless for Bill - trade Jimmy to the Cowgirls for a 1 and a 3 as we know Romo's collarbone is shot. Keep Jimmy and have him slide into starting role in 3 years. Have Jimmy duke it out with Brissett and then decide in 3 years who takes over. Odd man out gets traded for high pick.

It is stunning that we are arguing about this ALL from the wrong direction. We want Jimmy to be great. We want 4-0. Brady is starting game 5 regardless. No way Bill let's him ride the pine after this clown show and let's the league get to pile on. Remember Brady played like dog crap the first 4 games of 2014 and Bill scoffed at a reporter who asked if the QB position will be evaluated. This past off-season Bill called Brady the GOAT. The GOAT. Bill has never ever called ANY player, include LT the GOAT of any position.

So everyone just pump the brakes and let's pray we turn this awful mess around into the best thing that has ever happened to the Pats. I know if anyone can do this it is BILL.

So basically, you're saying he'll be the starter until week 1 this season.

:stirpot:

And, I am also saying that Tom Brady starts when he returns regardless of how well Jimmy Garoppolo does in the starting role.

It baffles me that so many people want to wheel Brady out of Foxboro.

I'm NOT talking about the people on this board who want to see Jimmy G. play, because I'm curious, too. That's different than wanting to see JG replace TB. I'm not saying that anyone on this board wants to see Tom gone. Pats fans here are pretty smart. :)

You will never see Tom's like again. These are the glory days, folks! Enjoy them while you can!

What baffles me are the fans and media in this region who are so eager to see a change (society always wants the next shiny bauble), from the usual idiot suspects like Volin and Borges to just a guy in Gillette's parking lot. These are the people who will be saying in the future, "Remember when Tom Brady was our quarterback? I sure miss those days." People are real pieces of work sometimes.

<center>Patty*</center>

It baffles me that so many people want to wheel Brady out of Foxboro.

I'm NOT talking about the people on this board who want to see Jimmy G. play, because I'm curious, too. That's different than wanting to see JG replace TB. I'm not saying that anyone on this board wants to see Tom gone. Pats fans here are pretty smart. :)

You will never see Tom's like again. These are the glory days, folks! Enjoy them while you can!

What baffles me are the fans and media in this region who are so eager to see a change (society always wants the next shiny bauble), from the usual idiot suspects like Volin and Borges to just a guy in Gillette's parking lot. These are the people who will be saying in the future, "Remember when Tom Brady was our quarterback? I sure miss those days." People are real pieces of work sometimes.

<center>Patty*</center>

I will give you the reason, because fans have short memories. They are scared that if Brady leaves the team will go back to what they were before him, so they are hoping that another Brady is sitting on the Bench and they cannot wait to find out. Brady will not play another 5 years, nobody is ever going to be him, chances are not good that JG will ever be more than an average Qb, but fans always want the pipe dream of the winning to continue forever and it never does. Chances are staggering that we will never see another 16 year run like this team has had in our lifetimes, and sometimes people cannot accept that.

I thought the same thing about Bledsoe in 2001...:coffee:

Only BB knows this.

True enough.

With all due respect to Drew Bledsoe, he is no Tom Brady.

Tom Brady sits so high on the pedestal of NFL royalty without any sign of a decline that just batting the idea around borders on the absurd.

True enough.

With all due respect to Drew Bledsoe, he is no Tom Brady.

Tom Brady sits so high on the pedestal of NFL royalty without any sign of a decline that just batting the idea around borders on the absurd.

At the time, nobody thought that Brady would turn out to be...Brady.

---------- Post added at 01:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:46 PM ----------

IF JimmyG is as good as his potential really is, the Pats have a very good problem...

All I want is for JimmyG to kick ass and take names.

---------- Post added at 01:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:48 PM ----------

At the time, nobody thought that Brady would turn out to be...Brady.

Immaterial. Brady is Brady. The finest QB of his generation and arguably the finest of all time. Bledsoe is...well...Bledsoe. A journeyman QB who lacked mobility. While he had some good years, even the years he led the league in some categories, he was solid but never outstanding. Brady on the other hand has rarely been pedestrian or what anyone would characterize as a journeyman. He has, for the most part, always been great.

...IF JimmyG is as good as his potential really is, the Pats have a very good problem...

All I want is for JimmyG to kick ass and take names.

Agree.

Me too.

Back