The Tom Brady Replacement Plan

i will say this again but if we have any type of qb controversy after 4 games we will have hit the friggin jackpot with this stupid thing. Our options will be limitless for bill - trade jimmy to the cowgirls for a 1 and a 3 as we know romo's collarbone is shot. Keep jimmy and have him slide into starting role in 3 years.
+∞

And, I am also saying that Tom Brady starts when he returns regardless of how well Jimmy Garoppolo does in the starting role.

Kind of like how Bledsoe got his job back? If JG is 4-0 or 3-1 winning the last 3, Brady will have to win his job back. BB has twice benched the "fan favorite" franchise QB.

Kind of like how Bledsoe got his job back? If JG is 4-0 or 3-1 winning the last 3, Brady will have to win his job back. BB has twice benched the "fan favorite" franchise QB.

Tom Brady is not only a fan favorite. He is arguably the finest QB that has ever played that is still at the peak of his playing powers. The idea that Bill Belichick would play Jimmy Garoppolo over Tom Brady is laughable. If Tom Brady showed some decline that was performance based maybe. But, nothing Jimmy Garoppolo does will be enough to unseat Brady. The reason Brady will be replaced would have to be his own performance.

If Tom Brady showed some decline that was performance based maybe... The reason Brady will be replaced would have to be his own performance.

[Big O mode] You're making my point.

The offense and timing will be tailored to JG. If JG is winning games, BB won't sit him just to play Brady, IMO. BB will do what is best for the team and his history suggests he will play the hot hand.

[Big O mode] You're making my point.

The offense and timing will be tailored to JG. If JG is winning games, BB won't sit him just to play Brady, IMO. BB will do what is best for the team and his history suggests he will play the hot hand.

No, I am not making your point. BB won't go with the hot hand. He will go with arguably the best QB to ever play the game instead of a 4 game starter that happened to play well for those 4 games. That, is what is best for the team.

You guys are all effing nuts, you know that, right? Like you know for a fact that BB makes decisions ahead of time? And that you, or you, or you, actually know what BB will or won't do in the future?

How big does an ego have to be before people believe their opinion is unadulterated fact?

And, I am also saying that Tom Brady starts when he returns regardless of how well Jimmy Garoppolo does in the starting role.

Of course he will.

Even if Garoppolo "blows everyone's dicks off". (tm Jaric)

There will be some serious discussions about the future of the position following the conclusion of the 2016 season if he does, however, regardless of how it finishes.

Brock ****ing Osweiler just got $18m/yr for being an average starting QB.

You guys are all effing nuts, you know that, right? Like you know for a fact that BB makes decisions ahead of time? And that you, or you, or you, actually know what BB will or won't do in the future?

How big does an ego have to be before people believe their opinion is unadulterated fact?

Clearly, no man knows what another will do for sure. I expect people have been debating what coaches will do from in game adjustments to roster moves to press conferences since the beginning of coaches. Some use logic, some use emotion, some make informed debate point, some have no clue. You can participate or not, poo-poo everything others say or bang the lectern with a shoe to make your point. It is OK with me.

I will say for a fact, Tom Brady starts week 5 no matter how Jimmy Garoppolo plays. If that means I have a big ego so be it. I expect it is just as likely or more likely that Jimmy Garoppolo gets benched in the 4 games than it is he will start game 5.

Of course he will.

Even if Garoppolo "blows everyone's dicks off". (tm Jaric)

There will be some serious discussions about the future of the position following the conclusion of the 2016 season if he does, however, regardless of how it finishes.

Brock ****ing Osweiler just got $18m/yr for being an average starting QB.

Brock got $18 mil and Elway got zippo in return. Bill will fleece the Cowgirls to let them have Jimmy. Next off-season will be the total opposite of this one - completely delicious.

I will say for a fact, Tom Brady starts week 5 no matter how Jimmy Garoppolo plays. If that means I have a big ego so be it.
I think it simply means you don't understand the difference between a fact and a prediction. :)

Like you, I also strongly think that TFB will start Week 5, but if you told me last APril that BB would spend a third round pick on a Michael.Bishop 2.0 QB who has a style and method of play totally the opposite of every Patriot QB since Bishop (with the exception of Kevin O'Connell), I would have even more strongly disagreed. I'm still confused about that pick. It defies seventeen years of BB drafts.

Mazz has it exactly right. These four games are an unprecedented opportunity. What if JG is really really good. He was drafted in the second round, starting QB territory, and he learned under Brady. What if JG is really REALLY good? Holy Crap.

With our star QB approaching the end of his run, we get to have a 4-regular-season-game at our promising backup QB. Forget Week 5 of 2016. Look at the possible effect his play and growth might have on the 2020-2035 seasons.

How can four regular season games not improve a backup QB? He will have experience and be better able to focus his training for the three remaining years the Pats realistically retain control over him.

I think it simply means you don't understand the difference between a fact and a prediction. :)

Like you, I also strongly think that TFB will start Week 5, but if you told me last APril that BB would spend a third round pick on a Michael.Bishop 2.0 QB who has a style and method of play totally the opposite of every Patriot QB since Bishop (with the exception of Kevin O'Connell), I would have even more strongly disagreed. I'm still confused about that pick. It defies seventeen years of BB drafts.

Mazz has it exactly right. These four games are an unprecedented opportunity. What if JG is really really good. He was drafted in the second round, starting QB territory, and he learned under Brady. What if JG is really REALLY good? Holy Crap.

With our star QB approaching the end of his run, we get to have a 4-regular-season-game at our promising backup QB. Forget Week 5 of 2016. Look at the possible effect his play and growth might have on the 2020-2035 seasons.

How can four regular season games not improve a backup QB? He will have experience and be better able to focus his training for the three remaining years the Pats realistically retain control over him.
The best part is if Jimmy is decent but not great, some team will still over shoot to get from us because the league is so Qb starved. We turn the 2 we gave for him into a 1 or more and then work on developing Brissett and draft another QB down the road. I mean honestly, every scenario here helps the Pats in the long term. In the short term, it will suck if Jimmy goes 0-4 or 1-3 but I have faith in both Brady and the awfulness of the AFC East that we still take the division and are in the post-season AND Brady is fresher as the ultimate bonus to go get ring #5.

Honestly, I only see upside to this whole situation. I am surprised so many are fighting over it. The only part that sux is WHY Brady is missing games, everything else is pure gravy for the smartest GM and HC in the game.

I'd say that's very likely, especially since I don't envision JG playing as well as what we've seen from Brady. I've been wrong before, though.

If by some miracle, JG does play that well, I think Brady would likely get traded or retire, (after the end of the season).

I will say for a fact, Tom Brady starts week 5 no matter how Jimmy Garoppolo plays. If that means I have a big ego so be it. I expect it is just as likely or more likely that Jimmy Garoppolo gets benched in the 4 games than it is he will start game 5.

I think the odds are certainly on your favor, but I can imagine a scenario where Garapolo plays well in weeks 1-4 and BB decides Brady needs more than a week to get his timing back and hold him out for one extra week, because Cleveland.

People need to look in the mirror and ask if they are "Patriots fans" or "Brady fans". I love TB12 and feel he's the best to ever play the game, but when his day comes, I want the Pats to move on and find someone who can help win going forward. If it's Jimmy, great. If Garoppolo lights it up and BB thinks he's the guy to usher in the next era, I'll support the Pats if they make the move.

That being said, Brady will not sit if JG goes 4-0. Zero chance, this is still Brady's team.

I was a big Bledsoe fan and can remember thinking that he would definitely get his job back when he got healthy in '01.

BB made a statement sticking with Brady.

Not saying he'll do the same thing Week 5 in Cleveland, but it wouldn't surprise me at all.

I was a big Bledsoe fan and can remember thinking that he would definitely get his job back when he got healthy in '01.

BB made a statement sticking with Brady.

Not saying he'll do the same thing Week 5 in Cleveland, but it wouldn't surprise me at all.

The thing with Bledsoe is Carrol wrecked his career and by the time Belichick came he was shot. Brady had already been out playing him in 2001. On top, Bledsoe's was Parcell's pick not Bill's.

With Brady you have the GOAT. Said by Bill himself. You have Brady coming off an MVP caliber season and just two season removed from his 4th Lombardi and 3rd SB MVP. You also have his extension just signed his past off-season. There is no way Brady does not start game 5. That being said, I do hope Jimmy lights it up and goes 4-0. Realistically I am expecting him to keep the games close, hopefully limit mistakes and take us to 2-2. That is all he really needs to do. I would also prefer the two wins are over the Fins and Bills to help us cake walk to the division.

Back