The Wells Report

I think Prioleau checked the Pats' balls first, Blakeman second. But on the Colts' balls the order was reversed. Of course the guy who checks second gets a lower reading. Just getting the first measurement alters the ball for the second measurement. But IDK what's going on with one of the Colts balls. It's an outlier. Mistake in reading or memory of the ref?

41 For the reasons stated in Section VII.B and described in detail in Appendix 1, based on Exponent‟s conclusion
that the Logo Gauge generally reports a measurement that is approximately 0.3-0.45 psi higher than the measurement reported by the Non-Logo Gauge and never produced a reading lower than the Non-Logo Gauge
during Exponent‟s testing, it appears most likely that the two officials switched gauges in between measuring each team‟s footballs, meaning that Blakeman most likely used the Logo Gauge and Prioleau most likely used
the Non-Logo Gauge to test the Colts balls at halftime. Further, Exponent believes that the results recorded for the third Colts ball tested reflect an anomaly in that, unlike the other Colts balls tested, the reading made by
Prioleau is higher than the reading made by Blakeman. Exponent believes that this anomaly may be the result of a transcription error where the measurements recorded were attributed to the opposite game official (i.e., on
game day, Blakeman measured 12.95 psi and Prioleau measured 12.50 psi) or a recording error where the pressure measured by one of the officials was incorrectly recorded. Exponent controlled for this anomaly in its
analysis of the data.

Again why not ask the people involved? Why rely on Exponent to come to those conclusions. :shrug_n: And yes you would think that whoever measured the ball first would get the higher reading but apparently Exponent doesn't agree with that it was one measure higher then the other.

~Dee~

I mean asking a firm like Exponent on scientific matters is like asking bible bashers for their views on Evolution and the Big Bang.

I think Prioleau checked the Pats' balls first, Blakeman second. But on the Colts' balls the order was reversed. Of course the guy who checks second gets a lower reading. Just getting the first measurement alters the ball for the second measurement. But IDK what's going on with one of the Colts balls. It's an outlier. Mistake in reading or memory of the ref?
Sometimes I wonder if I am shadowbanned...

When looking at the chart know that each ref has his own gauge (gauges given to them by Anderson and were used for testing the balls to begin with, deemed "logo & non-logo" in the Wells report. Testing showed neither gauge is accurate (precise but not accurate). The high readings seem to be from the "Logo gauge" which consistently shows readings higher than actual (.4 psi). The "non logo gauge" seems to read .2 under than actual. The presumption in the report is that the Refs switch gauges while testing.

Completely glossed over and deemed "impossible" is if Anderson tested the Patriots balls with the "Logo gauge" and the colts with the "non logo." My read through of the Anderson info, this seems plausible if not probable. He separated the balls in different areas to ensure they didn't get mixed up. Prolly placed a gauge by each and he and the other judge tested.

If he did this then the starting Psi of the Patriots would be ~12.1 and the starting Psi of the Colts would be ~13.2

Tim Hasselbeck's brother is on the Colts.
Tim Hasselbeck worked with that Jasztremski (or whatever his name is) when he was a Pats ballboy.

As for his logic there, he was comparing what the Colts did to what other teams do with telling refs there will be substitutions, or that the other QB bobs his head. I don't think that is really comparable. Reason being, supposedly Grigson alerted the league via email prior to the game, not on the field directly prior, like those things are commonly done. And then the refs went ahead and let those balls go into play knowing before the game that the Colts were concerned about them.

You know what's funny to me? That they didn't gauge all of the Colts footballs because they "didn't have time." According to the Wells report it takes 60-70 seconds to stick a needle in 12 footballs. That's without recording anything, but how long could it have taken to stick a needle in 8 more footballs and yell out the reading? Such irresponsible use of statistics

<table id="post2233210" class="tborder" align="center" border="0" cellpadding="5" cellspacing="0" width="100%"><tbody><tr valign="top"><td class="alt1" id="td_post_2233210" style="border-right: 1px solid #CCCCCC">http://itiswhatitis.weei.com/sports/...medium=twitter

Mike Florio of ProFootballTalk.com joined Middays with MFB Thursday to talk about the Wells Report, which was released on Wednesday. To hear the interview, go to the MFB audio on demand page.
Florio notes the league was aware of the Colts raising concerns of the pressure of the footballs prior to the game, which raises the question, was it actually about catching the Patriots?
“Here’s the thing that bothers me the most on this and I can’t get beyond this,” said Florio. “The Colts let the NFL know of their concerns of the possible deflation of footballs and the days before the AFC championship game. Multiple league executives knew about it — setting aside for now someone should have told the commissioner who then could have called Bill Belichick and said, ‘If this is going on knock it off.’ Which would have avoided the entire probably for everyone assuming Belichick had complied.
“Let’s set that aside for now, fast forward to the game. Referee Walt Anderson is aware of the concern and then for the first time in Walt Anderson’s 19 years as an NFL official he looses the balls before the game. He can’t find the footballs. When he finds the footballs, knowing there is a concern about possible tampering with the air pressure in the footballs, he order that the balls be taken back to the officials locker room and tested then. Not, necessary for evidence against the Patriots, but to ensure they are at least 12.5 PSI because we need to respect the integrity of the AFC championship. We can’t knowingly allow balls deflated below 12.5 PSI to be used. They don’t do that. Thats what he should have done. It’s amazing to be that wasn’t done.
“So was this about the integrity of the game, or was this about catching the Patriots? That evidence there tells me it was about catching the Patriots.”
As for what might happen to Tom Brady, Florio’s best guess is the quarterback will be suspended four games.
“I haven’t heard anything specific yet and Tom Brady is going to have a chance to go in and convince Troy Vincent, the executive VP of football operations, that it shouldn’t be whatever otherwise it will be,” Florio said. “He still has a chance to come clean and provide that information and allow that information to be complete. If he doesn’t, they are going to presume whatever he is keeping from them would make it worse not better. I keep coming back to four games. Because isn’t that the standard punishment we hear? Marijuana, multiple violations — four-game suspension. First offense for steroids — four-game suspension. Could be more, but four games sounds right to me.”
</td> </tr> <tr> <td class="alt1" style="border-right: 1px solid #CCCCCC" valign="bottom">
</td> </tr> <tr> <td class="alt2" style="border: 1px solid #CCCCCC; border-top: 0px"> </td> <td class="alt1" style="border: 1px solid #CCCCCC; border-left: 0px; border-top: 0px" align="right">
</td></tr></tbody></table>

Don't know if this is up or not. Just can't read through it all.

Wells Report: More Probable Than Not Colts Played With Under-Inflated Footballs
http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.co...s-played-with-under-inflated-footballs/33495/

CHFF weighs in

BostonTim

""Only four Colts balls were tested because the officials were running out of time before the start of the second half," reads the Wells Report on Page 7.

Hmmm ... pretty interesting. A Patriots ballboy can run into a bathroom and quickly deflate to exact specifications 12 gameballs in 1 minute, 40 seconds. But NFL officials didn't have time to check eight Colts footballs in 15 minutes of halftime, in an operation intended to uphold the integrity of the league."

**** yea, exactly what I said

Don't know if this is up or not. Just can't read through it all.

Wells Report: More Probable Than Not Colts Played With Under-Inflated Footballs
http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.co...s-played-with-under-inflated-footballs/33495/

CHFF weighs in

BostonTim
"But here's the point: it's impossible to argue that allegedly deflated footballs gave the Patriots a competitive advantage when it was the Colts, not the Patriots, who might have played most of the game with balls below the almighty 12.5 PSI. The Patriots played only one half with under-inflated balls. "

unbelievable...............

If you suspend Tom for 4 games, I wonder if he retires and does a giant FU to Goodel
I sure as shit hope he doesn't retire because of this or a suspension. I want to see him come back, rip the league a new one, win his fifth and drop the mic at midfield saying "Deflate THIS bitches" and then retire

If you suspend Tom for 4 games, I wonder if he retires and does a giant FU to Goodel
I can't see Tom retiring. He loves the game too much, and I think he is such a fiery guy that he would be even more determined to win more SB's. It would be his giant FU to all the haters.

4 game suspension would make his return Sunday Night at Indianapolis

:celebrate:

Almost makes you think it was pre planned . . .

Nah, I think that he and the Patriots go on an absolute vengeful rampage and destroy teams mercilessly on the way to a repeat as a giant FU to Goodell.

Take the trophy from him, kick him in the nuts on live TV, then retire.

I see TB winning two more SB's, possibly three more...

Sometimes I wonder if I am shadowbanned...

When looking at the chart know that each ref has his own gauge (gauges given to them by Anderson and were used for testing the balls to begin with, deemed "logo & non-logo" in the Wells report. Testing showed neither gauge is accurate (precise but not accurate). The high readings seem to be from the "Logo gauge" which consistently shows readings higher than actual (.4 psi). The "non logo gauge" seems to read .2 under than actual. The presumption in the report is that the Refs switch gauges while testing.

Completely glossed over and deemed "impossible" is if Anderson tested the Patriots balls with the "Logo gauge" and the colts with the "non logo." My read through of the Anderson info, this seems plausible if not probable. He separated the balls in different areas to ensure they didn't get mixed up. Prolly placed a gauge by each and he and the other judge tested.

If he did this then the starting Psi of the Patriots would be ~12.1 and the starting Psi of the Colts would be ~13.2

Sorry, I missed your post. I was in a hurry and didn't follow the thread close enough. :toast:

I noticed the same thing about the contradictory measurements between Prioleau and Blakeman and thought it was quite notable but didn't have time to dig into it.

While I admire the method you employed to attempt to crack the case, I fear that it won't matter much even if you are close to the truth. It's too arcane for public scrutiny and the Wells Report leaves no doubt as to the honor and integrity of the officials, even though the atmosphere in that ref's room at halftime was probably far more total confusion and a sort of how-can-I-keep-my-ass-covered-here guessing game than any swiss laboratory-like precision by anal retentive pigskin technicians. At least I find that scenario more probable than not.

I counted no fewer than a dozen WTF curiosities that seemed to be a little too neatly tied up for my cynical tastes, but the inflation stats are really the foundation of the NFL's case and when those results are questionable then it makes you see nazis in the woodpile.

OK, I've looked at the numbers some more. A few things of note.

I looked at the difference in psi measured by Blakeman and Prioleau.

For the Pats 11 balls at halftime, Blakeman's measurements were 0.3 - 0.45 psi less than Prioluea, with an average of 0.38 and a standard deviation of 0.05.

If the claim about the logo vs. non-logo gauges is correct, then that could explain the difference simply based on who used which gauge.

Now let's look at the Colts 4 balls. The difference is 0.35 to 0.45, however, the difference is of the opposite polarity for 3 of the 4 balls. That is Blakeman measured 3 of the 4 balls more than Prioleau.

So the average difference is -0.19, with a standard deviation of 0.37. Such a large standard deviation raises a huge red flag regarding the quality of this data.

If we assume that for some reason, they swapped gauges for 3 of the four balls, then the difference is 0.35 to 0.45, which is very similar to the 11 Pats balls.

However, one has to wonder how this occurred and wasn't reported. If they made this type of error in their testing and documentation, what else did they get wrong? I'd say it's "more probable than not" that they screwed up their documentation.

On page 69, the report indicates that the 11 Pats balls should be inflated to 13 psi and checked. No air was added to the Colts balls.

After the game, four balls from each team was tested. (page 72)

They don't specify who was measurement #1 and who was #2.

For the Colts, their balls had an average psi of 12.71 and 12.35. The relative pressure difference between #1 and #2 was consistent and the same 0.35 to 0.40 psi.

The Pats balls were 13.46 and 13.08, again with a consistent relative pressure difference of 0.35 to 0.40.

Now if we adjust the measurement of the 4 Colts balls at halftime, assuming they had the gauges swapped, then the average value was 12.74 and 12.33. Recall no air was added to the Colts balls at halftime. So they basically stayed the same.

The Pats balls actually increased in pressure in the second half, if they were set to 13 psi. :spock:

However, since they didn't record the pressure they were set to, or at least they didn't say they recorded them, we don't know if they were actually at 13.5 psi or not.

However, since they relied on Coleman's statement that he inflated the Pats balls to 12.5 psi, and the Colts to 13.0 psi without any written record, then we should also accept that the Pats balls were inflated to 13.0 psi at halftime.

If so, then how the frack did the pressure go up?

IMHO, there are only two possible explanations.

The psi measurements are unreliable to the point of being useless, or the claims of pre-game and half time inflation psi values are meaningless.

So in conclusion, if the #'s don't fit, you must acquit.

Something else just occurred to me.

The report states that the two different gauges are known to give different readings by 0.35 to 0.4 psi.

So just what rocket surgeon thought it was OK to allow for the use of two different gauges that routinely produce results that differ by 35 to 40% of the allowable tolerance?

How does that "protect the integrity of the game".

Not to mention the ball the Colts intercepted had three different measurements
11.45 11.35 11.75. I'm guessing the first 2 were tested on the sidelines using the Colts gauge. (They also claim the last gauge is no where to be found.) Again don't really know they simply decided not use that one for measurements just wrote it down on tape and brought it to the league.

~Dee~

I doubt it. Retiring under this cloud would totally bork his reputation and legacy and would hardly matter a whit to Goodell. I think whenever he gets back on the field he'll be running up the score like we've never seen before (and with meticulously documented, properly inflated footballs). As a way of reiterating he's the GOAT.

Although, after this season, especially if we win another Superbowl, all bets are off.

Back