Tom Brady/Tampa Off-season thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is no individual substitute training that can replace the cohesiveness formed by training together on plays and formations.

The offensive line is a great example of this.
I agree. I don't think Brady is saying that team/coaching stuff should go away as he knows more than anybody how valuable cohesion and chemistry is and that only comes by being together on the field. I think he is more talking about guys should be able to train on their own separate from the team without penalty. That they would he allowed to do their own thing to get their body ready and not be forced to follow the team's training/fitness requirements.

I dunno - players are paid by the teams so it's perfectly reasonable for them to set the standards and requirements.

Tom may have a decent regime that works for him, but plenty of other guys who choose to do their own thing may not be so successful.

It's not complicated. I don't blame Tom for wanting to do his own thing, but he's smart enough to know why it may not be smart for teams to adopt as general practice.

I dunno - players are paid by the teams so it's perfectly reasonable for them to set the standards and requirements.

Tom may have a decent regime that works for him, but plenty of other guys who choose to do their own thing may not be so successful.

It's not complicated. I don't blame Tom for wanting to do his own thing, but he's smart enough to know why it may not be smart for teams to adopt as general practice.
I think a collaboration would be good on behalf of the teams and players. I think there could be a great meeting in the middle for both sides. A lot of teams are mired in antiquated training techniques that are not what today's athletes want. But on the flip, as you said, the teams are paying them so they get to set the standards.

I think a collaboration would be good on behalf of the teams and players. I think there could be a great meeting in the middle for both sides. A lot of teams are mired in antiquated training techniques that are not what today's athletes want. But on the flip, as you said, the teams are paying them so they get to set the standards.
Unless you have a license or a degree in those fields. You shouldn't be calling them antiquated Training techniques. Let's not forget a Broncos player cost himself 10 mill. Getting injuried training outside the facility.

Unless you have a license or a degree in those fields. You shouldn't be calling them antiquated Training techniques. Let's not forget a Broncos player cost himself 10 mill. Getting injuried training outside the facility.
Many of the practices used by NFL teams are from the 70s. Pretty much the definition of antiquated but don't take my word for it just listen to the players or check out their personal fitness routines. Like I said, this should not be an either or situation. Collaboration makes the most sense for players and teams. I think it would happen eventually.

Many of the practices used by NFL teams are from the 70s. Pretty much the definition of antiquated but don't take my word for it just listen to the players or check out their personal fitness routines. Like I said, this should not be an either or situation. Collaboration makes the most sense for players and teams. I think it would happen eventually.

Mazz has the answers, folks! Let the players run the league!

Btw, Mazz, training and conditioning protocols have evolved lightyears beyond the '70s. When you make statements like that do you realize how foolish it makes you look?

Mazz has the answers, folks! Let the players run the league!

Btw, Mazz, training and conditioning protocols have evolved lightyears beyond the '70s. When you make statements like that do you realize how foolish it makes you look?
The majority of NFL teams require that seasonal internship applicants are certified athletic trainers and have either graduated from an accredited undergraduate or graduate Athletic Training Education Program (ATEP). They often start in the spring and extend through the end of the NFL season.
She is right players personal training routines. Can be different from the teams.

View: https://youtu.be/gI5wtfb0SLI

Last edited:
The majority of NFL teams require that seasonal internship applicants are certified athletic trainers and have either graduated from an accredited undergraduate or graduate Athletic Training Education Program (ATEP). They often start in the spring and extend through the end of the NFL season.
She is right players personal training routines. Can be different from the teams.

View: https://youtu.be/gI5wtfb0SLI

Nice link. It really has been going on for quite some time but it's getting more attention because Brady commented.

I actually find the whole training/fitness thing fascinating as it pertains to football. Guys were always taught to eat protein and lift iron and now there is a pretty seismic change toward muscle recovery, nutrition to reduce inflammation and core development to prevent injury and increase speed. I do think there will be a melding of the minds especially as football clubs see the benefit on the field.

Many of the practices used by NFL teams are from the 70s. Pretty much the definition of antiquated

Nice link. It really has been going on for quite some time but it's getting more attention because Brady commented.

I actually find the whole training/fitness thing fascinating as it pertains to football. Guys were always taught to eat protein and lift iron and now there is a pretty seismic change toward muscle recovery, nutrition to reduce inflammation and core development to prevent injury and increase speed. I do think there will be a melding of the minds especially as football clubs see the benefit on the field.
If you watched the other video on players meals. They all prove you wrong.Todays NFL training & Nutrition is not outdated or antiquated from the 70s. Its much more advanced & detailed.

If you watched the other video on players meals. They all prove you wrong.Todays NFL training & Nutrition is not outdated or antiquated from the 70s. Its much more advanced & detailed.

I was being hyperbolic. Of course training has come a ways but athletes don't want a cookie cutter approach anymore. Much the same way we consume our personal music, movies and communication, athletes want to have the same personal choice when it comes to their bodies. That is where the rub is IMO and what Brady is getting at. They want the freedom during the off-season to be able to do what they feel is right for their body and performance.

Last edited:
iirc tb was allowed to do whatever he wanted w/guerrero. hell, the guy was on the sidelines and the team plane. i'd have no issue with vets pursuing their own methods also. guererro got TOO MUCH latitude imo.

iirc tb was allowed to do whatever he wanted w/guerrero. hell, the guy was on the sidelines and the team plane. i'd have no issue with vets pursuing their own methods also. guererro got TOO MUCH latitude imo.
This is about the off-season requirements. Like I said, all the athletes in the pro sports are singing the same tune. Brady referenced baseball pitchers not throwing 95 MPH in December. His main point was that football has overly competitive drills during the off-season. It is more about a relaxation of the requirements and letting players dictate their off-season more.

I think we are talking past each other on this issue so I will bow out.

Have a good night!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back