Tom Curran :Bottom Liners Completely Miss the Point"

The Gr8est

"It's time to shut up, Fat Boy!"
Reaction score
I know Tom Curran isn't universally held in high regard, but this bittersweet article is worth reading.

Won't make the loss any easier to take, but you may feel a bit better about the Pats now, and going forward.

http://www.csnne.com/blog/patriots-...ompletely-miss-the?blockID=647212&feedID=3352

"I understand. It sucks. I cried when the first sports team I ever followed closely – the 1976 Patriots – were beaten by the Raiders in the Divisional Playoffs. And I’ve never trusted the Red Sox nor been a bloodthirsty fan of them since the twin traumas of 1977 and ’78 (my 10-year-old ass got dismissed early from Hobomock Elementary to attend the one-game playoff).

But I’m not sure these Patriots deserve the level of bile being directed at them."

"I think Tom Brady is the best quarterback that’s ever played. He’s played in five Super Bowls in 10 seasons and won three. In the two he lost, he led a go-ahead drive in the closing minutes and – in the other – he was a very good catch away from being in a position to salt away the win. I believe he’s personally done enough to be 5-0 in Super Bowls.

Those details, combined with the ones I will list now, convince me I am still right in my analysis. He’s won two league MVPs – one unanimously and the other when he threw a single-season record 50 touchdowns and just eight picks and led his team to the first 16-0 regular season. He’s been the Super Bowl MVP twice. He’s 140-41 as an NFL starter including playoffs and has never been surrounded by Hall of Fame teammates as the others in the “greatest ever” conversation were."

"Brady’s interception was a poor throw but a good decision. Watching the game again Monday night, I saw the angle that showed Gronkowski behind Chase Blackburn by a step. And I saw Gronkowski raise his hand and take off. Lumbering though he was, he remained behind Blackburn and – hence – open. Brady HAD to make that throw. Gronk 1-on-1 with an even more lumbering linebacker behind the defense with no help over the top? If Brady had simply thrown it away, people would have been screaming that Brady missed Gronk behind the defense with a stiff on him.

The problem with the throw was that it didn’t come out of Brady’s hand cleanly. A tight spiral and the ball was either Gronk’s or incomplete. It wasn’t Brady’s left shoulder that caused the ball to wobble, it was simply that he had to hurry the throw and didn’t get time to set as he normally would. The wobbling pass Brady threw probably cost him 5 yards. Enough for Blackburn to be in position. And Blackburn still had to make a “winning” play, which he did."

" The biggest coaching failure in the game was the 12-men-on-the-field penalty that gave the Giants a first down. It was a third-and-3 play and – while you couldn’t see it on television, Antwaun Molden was lost in the secondary for about three seconds before the ball was snapped. Whoever sent Molden in screwed up. Any player who saw Molden’s confusion before a key third-down in the red zone and failed to call timeout screwed up."

"Brandon Spikes, Sterling Moore, Patrick Chung and Mark Anderson made winning plays. Spikes had an outstanding game while Moore and Chung played with the kind of physicality the Patriots needed in the secondary. That the New England defense allowed 13 points – just 13 points with no turnovers – before the game-winning touchdown against a powerful offense was overachieving. And if Welker made his “winning” play, the “winning” play by Manningham along the sideline would never have occurred.

I’ve never seen a sadder moment of video than Robert Kraft standing by himself as the owner’s box emptied out, hands in his pockets, resignation on his face and a look to the sky. His team came so close to authoring the most incredible ending in American sports history. Gronk was a foot away from getting his hands under the Hail Mary pass Brady threw as time expired. To get it there in time and accurate was, again, an amazing play by Brady, much as the 70-yard throw to Moss near the very end of Super Bowl 42 was an astounding play overlooked.

But the blustering “did you win or did you not” bottom-liners who don’t see sports as a game of nuance and context and believe the Patriots failed and blemished themselves Sunday miss the point. And, at this point, trying to make them see the point is a lost cause. "

There is more to the article, this is just some excerpts.

I think most fans are taking this loss well. Just because I think that was a catchable ball Welker dropped doens't mean I'm full of 'bile'. I enjoyed geting back to the super bowl despite the loss, it made me appriecate what we've had.

I think most fans are taking this loss well. Just because I think that was a catchable ball Welker dropped doens't mean I'm full of 'bile'. I enjoyed geting back to the super bowl despite the loss, it made me appriecate what we've had.

I have just never looked at one play and said, oh...well there you go, thats why we lost. I never blame one player, or even two players....too much goes on for 60 minutes to ever say, that guy won it, or that guy lost it or that play won or lost it....so I love Welker as much as before, I love the team as much as before, nothing changes that. I allow for human mistakes, and I know they went out and gave it everything and sometimes you just freaking lose.

Good thoughts, I like Curran and am finding a lot of perspective in this loss which is helping me get through it. And I am very optimistic about the future, sitting on 4 picks in the first two rounds this year.

I have just never looked at one play and said, oh...well there you go, thats why we lost. I never blame one player, or even two players....too much goes on for 60 minutes to ever say, that guy won it, or that guy lost it or that play won or lost it....so I love Welker as much as before, I love the team as much as before, nothing changes that. I allow for human mistakes, and I know they went out and gave it everything and sometimes you just freaking lose.
100% agree.

much too much...very good point Middy...it never is one play

Well Pats fans who are acting dumb like the ones Curran refers to are certainly not the norm on this board, thank goodness. I think the prevailing sentiment here is that we loved this team and were amazed they made it this far. My disappointment is more for the guys than for me as a fan since it's well known how badly they all wanted this one for Mr. & Mrs. Kraft. I think just judging from BB's comments he felt this team gave its all in every way and that's all we as fans can expect. The Pats teams that piss me off are the ones like the 09 squad, and thankfully they are few and far between.

Well Pats fans who are acting dumb like the ones Curran refers to are certainly not the norm on this board, thank goodness. I think the prevailing sentiment here is that we loved this team and were amazed they made it this far. My disappointment is more for the guys than for me as a fan since it's well known how badly they all wanted this one for Mr. & Mrs. Kraft. I think just judging from BB's comments he felt this team gave its all in every way and that's all we as fans can expect. The Pats teams that piss me off are the ones like the 09 squad, and thankfully they are few and far between.

The ones acting dumb are outside the Pats fan realm....there are a few exceptions, but yes its a playground for infestation of every fan base not even the Giants in rejoicing the pats failure. I swear its a wonder the steelers did not have their own parade after the superbowl.

Sure, I'm disappointed that they didn't beat the Giants, but I'm still very pleased with the Pats this season. Frankly, I think they overachieved this season (and I thought the same thing about last season's team). The Giants on the other hand, underachieved for most of the season, then finally got their act together for the playoff run.

It was a hard fought game, and if any one of a half dozen plays had gone differently, the Pats would have won. They were in it to the end, and they deserve our praise, for being the AFC Champion and playing in a great game.

:toast:

NE is always a player in the most exciting Super Bowls :patriots! :pat:

[Boston sportwriter mode] Curran is a goddamned homer. [/Boston sportswriter mode]

That was a nice piece. Thanks for posting. Curran usually thinks outside the box and this article was no exception.

Read the whole thing, guess he refers to Pats fans that feel slighted?Really? I for one am damn proud and feel fortunate.Its not like we havnt won one, we will be good for quite awhile longer.I guess if you`re a new fan post 3 SB wins, maybe I can understand the hurt being more, but otherwise, cant relate.

And on the other side of the coin, Brady was once again outplayed by Eli Manning and Belichick was outcoached by Tom Coughlin. If they'd won in '07 and '11 they'd easily be considered the Greatest Of All Time at their positions. These two SB losses bring them both back to the pack. And those three SB wins of '01, '03, and '04 are fading fast in memory; there have been 7 seasons with no Lombardis to show for it and, worst of all, wasted opportunity. Some guys get there once and never get back (Marino). The Pats, Belichick, and Brady had an opportunity to be known as the best ever. And they failed. Again. It was nice to beat up on the Denver Tebows, and win with a lot of luck at home against the Ravens, but ultimately this season ended just like '07, just like '09 (Ravens loss), just like '10 (Jets loss).

Yes, we're a bit spoiled. Yes. it's great to win your division; the aim of the regular season is to make The Dance, as Parcells calls it. Yes, it's great to make the Super Bowl; the aim of the playoffs is to get yourself there and put yourself in position to win it all. But let's not kid ourselves: the aim, at the end of the day, is to win the Super Bowl, and they didn't do it. They don't work hard all year to get to the end and lose and say, "Good season." There is no second-place mini-Lombardi for the loser of the Super Bowl.

I'm not going to bemoan the defense, or bemoan the lack of deep-threat wideouts, or bemoan the bounce of the ball or the sideline or the refs or anything else. The Pats did work hard to overcome their deficiencies, but they were not thrased by the '86 Bears: bottom line, the Giants were a beatable team, as they were in '07, and the Patriots simply, once again, did not play well enough when they most needed to. It sucks, and no amount of "I still love this team" or "it was still a good season" will make it any better.

And on the other side of the coin, Brady was once again outplayed by Eli Manning and Belichick was outcoached by Tom Coughlin. If they'd won in '07 and '11 they'd easily be considered the Greatest Of All Time at their positions. These two SB losses bring them both back to the pack. And those three SB wins of '01, '03, and '04 are fading fast in memory; there have been 7 seasons with no Lombardis to show for it and, worst of all, wasted opportunity. Some guys get there once and never get back (Marino). The Pats, Belichick, and Brady had an opportunity to be known as the best ever. And they failed. Again. It was nice to beat up on the Denver Tebows, and win with a lot of luck at home against the Ravens, but ultimately this season ended just like '07, just like '09 (Ravens loss), just like '10 (Jets loss).

Yes, we're a bit spoiled. Yes. it's great to win your division; the aim of the regular season is to make The Dance, as Parcells calls it. Yes, it's great to make the Super Bowl; the aim of the playoffs is to get yourself there and put yourself in position to win it all. But let's not kid ourselves: the aim, at the end of the day, is to win the Super Bowl, and they didn't do it. They don't work hard all year to get to the end and lose and say, "Good season." There is no second-place mini-Lombardi for the loser of the Super Bowl.

I'm not going to bemoan the defense, or bemoan the lack of deep-threat wideouts, or bemoan the bounce of the ball or the sideline or the refs or anything else. The Pats did work hard to overcome their deficiencies, but they were not thrased by the '86 Bears: bottom line, the Giants were a beatable team, as they were in '07, and the Patriots simply, once again, did not play well enough when they most needed to. It sucks, and no amount of "I still love this team" or "it was still a good season" will make it any better.

I disagree. The Giants offense outplayed the pats offense....barely...Sometimes you do not have a guy that can scale 12 feet in the air and bring down a pass. Not sure the giants did this awesome job of coaching to make the giants able to recover 3 of their own fumbles and have the pats drop several key passes. So who is making this best ever call? If welker hangs onto the pass and the pats win, does that somehow make Brady better or worse than he is now? Does not make sense. If that fumble is recovered by a pats player, does that Make BB better or worse than he is now? Does not make sense. Its as if you are saying 5 superbowls is bad cause they lost two...

Well THAT certainly casts a certain gloom over the entire proceedings.

:Fart: :shake:

I agree with the general premise that a number of things cost us the game. That's the way it is; I think you can look at any close game and point to 5 to 10 plays which ultimately could have decided the outcome. I expected the team to be knocked out at the AFCC game stage, so anything beyond that is a bonus.

I was "at peace" with the result quite quickly. I had accepted that there was a strong possiblity we would lose and so it wasn't a massive surprise, unlike "a previous Superbowl". The biggest shock for me is that the Giants went 9-7 in the regular season. I'd love to know how that happened as they are a bloody good team and should be given a hell of a lot of credit for their win.

On another note, I wonder if Brady is carrying a semi-serious injury; his throws weren't *quite* as accurate as normal (same v Baltimore).

Well TB was supposed to golf in that thing with BB and he pulled out. Considering he bowed out of the pro bowl one year to do that golf thing, I would suspect he's either in no mood to be in public yet OR he's having some sort of surgery OR he had some sort of physical issue that needs rest.

Well TB was supposed to golf in that thing with BB and he pulled out. Considering he bowed out of the pro bowl one year to do that golf thing, I would suspect he's either in no mood to be in public yet OR he's having some sort of surgery OR he had some sort of physical issue that needs rest.
or tom jackson was right and he hates his coach!!!!

I agree with the general premise that a number of things cost us the game. That's the way it is; I think you can look at any close game and point to 5 to 10 plays which ultimately could have decided the outcome. I expected the team to be knocked out at the AFCC game stage, so anything beyond that is a bonus.

I was "at peace" with the result quite quickly. I had accepted that there was a strong possiblity we would lose and so it wasn't a massive surprise, unlike "a previous Superbowl". The biggest shock for me is that the Giants went 9-7 in the regular season. I'd love to know how that happened as they are a bloody good team and should be given a hell of a lot of credit for their win.

On another note, I wonder if Brady is carrying a semi-serious injury; his throws weren't *quite* as accurate as normal (same v Baltimore).

I am not sure of an injury, I know he had a shoulder issue, but I think that happened late in the game, I mean at one point he completed 16 straight passes, and I really cannot say he played worse than some of the other parts on the offense. I am sure like usual he has some kind of issue that he has played through. I was actually more worried about a concussion at one point because his eyes didnt look right late in the game, and usually if its just a shoulder issue, you will not really be able to see his demeanor change.

Back