Top Ten Patriots for the Decade

patsfanroach

Reaction score
OK so I just went to ESPN Boston (I know why would I go there?).

Anyways they have their end of the decade stuff including top ten players from each franchise (which is actually not just players).

Their top ten Patriots were:

10. Rodney Harrison
9. Mike Vrable
8. Tedy Bruchi
7. Ty Law
6. Willie McGinnest
5. Richard Seymour
4. Troy Brown
3. Adam Vinatieri
2. Bill Belichick
1. Tom Brady

http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/rank?versionId=2&listId=469

This list was mainly compiled by Mike Reiss so I give it some credence. I still think that Boston.com/The Boston Globe Patriots coverage has not been the same since he left.

My re-rankings of their top ten was:

10. Mike Vrable
9. Rodney Harrison
8. Ty Law
7. Willie McGinnest
6. Adam Vinatieri
5. Richard Seymour
4. Tedy Bruchi
3. Troy Brown
2. Tom Brady
1. Bill Belichick

However, I felt that if you include Bill Belichick you HAVE to include a couple of others so here is my actual Top Ten Patriots of the Decade:

10. Scott Pioli (Honestly without his personnel decisions we do not have three superbowl teams. I know Bill pulls the strings but Scott has been missed already)
9. Ty Law (The last shut down corner we have had in New England. If he were still here and in his prime the Patriots win at least one more SB.)
8. Willie Mac (His leadership has been missed so much. We did not notice it as much as his disciples (Tedy, Vrable and Big Sey) took over when he left. I bet we would all take his leadership right now)
7. Adam Vinatieri (Although I feel that Ghost is a better over all kicker, Adam was the most clutch kicker in the history of the NFL and without his kicks the Patriots are not in the conversation for team of the decade.)
6. Mr. Robert Kraft (Without the greatest fan in Patriot history this team is not even here anymore. He built an amazing facility in Foxboro and use HIS OWN MONEY to finance it. He brought in the Tuna and eventually brought in Bill Belichick. Without Mr. Kraft there is not dynasty, there are no rings and there might not even be a team here.)
5. Richard Seymour (He was a beast here. He took on double teams and teams literally had to game plan around him. We all know that the trade should work out for the Patriots but we all know he has been missed this year tremendously. He may be the best Defensive lineman the Patriots have ever had.)
4. Tedy Bruschi (The heart and soul of the defense. He is what every Patriot should aspire to be. Coming back from the stroke just solidified his place in Patriot history. Five superbowls. Amazing run for a guy who was undersized for the NFL.)
3. Troy Brown (MR PATRIOT. He is the glue. He is the unselfish leader of this team. He was the string (with Tedy) that held this team together. Catching passes when Brady had no real number one guy. Running back kicks/punts. Making huge plays (interception...forced fumble?) Playin defense for christs sakes! He was my favorite Patriot of all time.)
2. Tom Brady (the greatest Patriot ever. He is among the greatest quarterbacks of all time. You can not keep him out of the conversation of greatest player of all time. They could win without him, but they would not have been in that position to win without him. I love how the greatful, unassuming young boy who replaced Drew Bledsoe (possibly the second best QB the Patriots ever had) has become the leader of this team He is the straw the stirs this drink.)
1. Bill Belichick (He made all of the major decisions. Draft the skinny kid from Michigan. Keep the skinny kid and cut two veteran back ups. Put the skinny kid in when Bledsoe went down. Start the skinny kid in the superbowl. Try to score with minimal time left in regulation of the Superbowl. Let aging veterans go when their time was up or when they asked for too much money. Bring in veterans with negative reputations. Do whatever it takes to win at all times period.)

Just my two cents...sorry if I missed this, but felt it should be brought here...

No love for my man Duane Starks???

:shake:

We won't even get into the ommission of Dan Klecko.

I think I rank Ty Law higher than AV.

Adam Vinatieri won you 3 SB

should be 2

no that snow kick alone gets him on the list

but watching the Texans Kicker makes you love what AV did - and the Ghost does every week a little bit more

Yeah, whenever someone points and says MEH he's just a kicker I think of times like yesterday with Brown, the lickered up kicker and how about that Ok State game

you won 3 SB by 3 pts that he maid in clutch that count for something!

you won 3 SB by 3 pts that he maid in clutch that count for something!

What about XXXVIII when he missed 2 kicks that if he made could've rendered the end moot?

Again...great kicker, but people who think that a kicker wins games are fooling themselves.

What about XXXVIII when he missed 2 kicks that if he made could've rendered the end moot?

Again...great kicker, but people who think that a kicker wins games are fooling themselves.

If he missed those 3 kicks how many SB win you got?

No teams win games and kickers are part of the TEAM

may not win games but I have witnessed them losing them

this 'money' kicker liked to F his team

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/K1HPEd_PPAA&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/K1HPEd_PPAA&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

If he miss those 3 kicks how many SB win you got?

If Ty Law drops the pick in XXXVI, how many we got?
If Brady throws a pick on the last drive of XXXVI or XXXVIII, how many we got?

He kicked the last points twice. That doesn't mean he "won" games. Ty Law "won" XXXVI much more than AV did.

He kicked the last points twice. That doesn't mean he "won" games. Ty Law "won" XXXVI much more than AV did.

your first SB win i was in DR with some Boston Fans and let me tell you they all jump in the ocean after AV kick... he was good that night for them :)

Given his propensity for doing the above lately I dont want the Patriots in the Superbowl :banghead:

I rank Adam's SB kicks just ahead of JR Redmond getting out of bounds. His game-tying kick against Oakland was the greatest of the 4 big kicks he made in the 2001 post-season, though. And then one that gets him on the list. Toward the bottom of the list.

I don't want to diminish the fact that the man made those kicks under the most extreme of pressure situations. But as MD said, he's a kicker. No way he's more valuable than the likes of a McGinest, Law or Harrison. Even a Ted Johnson or David Givens.

Back