Trade details

Then BB made a terrible mistake by miscalculating the trade value for Cassel.

Except that he did get a second rounder. For a guy who the Pats probably won't need anymore. (of course, unfortunately they did have to throw in Vrabel). Unless the whole story isn't out yet....

Then BB made a terrible mistake by miscalculating the trade value for Cassel.
look at is this way

you sign a free agent get the prime of his career ability out of him, during this time you pick a 7th round QB who never played in college, groomed him, exploited his talent for a season to draw interest

now you trade the free agent, who only cost you contract money, and the 7th round pick to a team for the 34th over all pick in the draft...take the names out and it is a great deal

How's that a terrible mistake? His value is what it is. I don't ever remember BB coming out and saying "we're getting 2 #1's for MC, I promise!" We may have speculated (with a nod to midgar) but outside of us as fans, where was MC's value ever set? He got what he could get. For a franchised guy who would have disappeared into the sunset if TB hadn't gotten hurt. Basically a free early 2nd round pick. I don't understand where there is any miscalculation?

BECAUSE!!! He didn't get a second rounder for Cassel. He got one for Cassel and VRABEL!!!!

Now I have read in another thread of Vrabel's indication and NFLPA attitudes, and THAT would explain it.

But straight up it sucked.

wow, third team was detriot and tampa.... who each wanted cassel so they could trade with Denver for Cutler....

wowie

BECAUSE!!! He didn't get a second rounder for Cassel. He got one for Cassel and VRABEL!!!!

Now I have read in another thread of Vrabel's indication and NFLPA attitudes, and THAT would explain it.

But straight up it sucked.

But that is a HUGE point and it is they type of thing that OFTEN goes on in organizations that we are not privy to. That fact underlies my intial support of ALL that BB does because it has happened in the past and he has made mostly amazing and worthy decisions for YEARS. Knee jerk reactions need to be tempered with understanding BUSINESS and cultural aspects to decision making like in ANY organization.>)

Vrabel wasn't nearly the player this year he was at the beginning of last season. About mid-way thru '07 he started to fade, didn't have an impact in the playoffs, and this past season was JAG. Too much coin, and BB will NOT pay for memories.

Vrabel wasn't nearly the player this year he was at the beginning of last season. About mid-way thru '07 he started to fade, didn't have an impact in the playoffs, and this past season was JAG. Too much coin, and BB will NOT pay for memories.
when Colvin went down he slowed his production

could a healthy Colvin be the OLB option opposite AD

But that is a HUGE point and it is they type of thing that OFTEN goes on in organizations that we are not privy to. That fact underlies my intial support of ALL that BB does because it has happened in the past and he has made mostly amazing and worthy decisions for YEARS. Knee jerk reactions need to be tempered with understanding BUSINESS and cultural aspects to decision making like in ANY organization.>)

True, Paz.

And if the Vrabes is a rabble rouser in the locker room, I can see getting him outta town now, for something, anything of value. It also deminishes my view of him as a Patriot, greatly. He would have been dust at the end of the season anyway.
Which makes him almost valueless in trade negotiations.

Straight up talent proven for unknown talent in a high second round pick, this trade still sucks. There is no chart to show how much better the Chiefs did on this one than the Pats, based on value.

True, Paz.

And if the Vrabes is a rabble rouser in the locker room, I can see getting him outta town now, for something, anything of value. It also deminishes my view of him as a Patriot, greatly. He would have been dust at the end of the season anyway.
Which makes him almost valueless in trade negotiations.

Straight up talent proven for unknown talent in a high second round pick, this trade still sucks. There is no chart to show how much better the Chiefs did on this one than the Pats, based on value.

True as well..the nature of the beast I guess.

A bit OT but how is KC's Oline?:) And is Pollard still on the team?

when Colvin went down he slowed his production

could a healthy Colvin be the OLB option opposite AD

"With the 23rd selection in the 2009 NFL draft, the New England Patriots select.....Connor Barwin, oh, and he'll wear #50."

You won't miss a beat!

Right now I'm disappointed that we got just a 2nd rounder, as high as it is, for both Cassel and Vrabel.

But you can only get what you can get. And I think BB would not have settled for that if he could have gotten more.

This trade is absolutely terrible if all they get is a second round pick. Last year for Roy Williams the Lions got a 1st, a 3rd and a 6th. For DeAngelo Hall the Falcons got a 2nd and a 5th. In 07 Chris Chambers alone got a second round pick. To get Wes Welker the pats had to give up a second and a 7th.

I would think Matt Cassel ALONE could have gotten a second round pick. Why package these guys together??? Atleast at this point, this deal just looks horrid. And Vrabel is only 33. Yes he's slowed down a bit, but compared to some of the other LBs the pats have kept around he still is quite young. I bet he still has atleast another 3 productive seasons in him. Right now this deal just sucks, plain and simple.

Right now I'm disappointed that we got just a 2nd rounder, as high as it is, for both Cassel and Vrabel.

But you can only get what you can get. And I think BB would not have settled for that if he could have gotten more.

PP I highly recommend the article Bot posted with the analysis. It says basically why this happened and what your last sentence said.

Back