Von Miller wants $22 mil a year from Broncos

Every last one of us would love the Pats to load up and eff the future if it meant 1 or 2 more trophies before Brady is done.
speak for yourself.

Loading up and eff the future is stupid. Yeah, guarantee it will work and we'll all want to. Trouble is, it almost never works. No trophy. You do get effed, though. That's pretty much guaranteed.

if the pats had halfway tried to beat Miami, denver would have played in foxboro and would now be dismantling their team without a lombardi. If we loaded up last year and didn't win, would you be happy that we would not be in cap hell for the rest of Brady's time here? I wouldn't

Every year several of teams load up and say eff the future. They get effed all right. Except for Bronces and 2000 Ravens, loading up has just put teams in cap hell.

Every last one of us would love the Pats to load up and eff the future if it meant 1 or 2 more trophies before Brady is done.

speak for yourself.

Loading up and eff the future is stupid. Yeah, guarantee it will work and we'll all want to. Trouble is, it almost never works. No trophy. You do get effed, though. That's pretty much guaranteed.

if the pats had halfway tried to beat Miami, denver would have played in foxboro and would now be dismantling their team without a lombardi. If we loaded up last year and didn't win, would you be happy that we would not be in cap hell for the rest of Brady's time here? I wouldn't

Every year several of teams load up and say eff the future. They get effed all right. Except for Bronces and 2000 Ravens, loading up has just put teams in cap hell.

so you agree with my premise while spending 3 paragraphs describing why you dont?

winning after-all is the goal is it not? brady and BB are nearing an end and mortgaging the future to put the best possible team on the field over the next 2-3 years is a viable strategy.

and to be honest me not caring about the post Brady BB time is kinda selfish because after they are done so am i, but that is a different discussion.
What was that finally line. After Brady done so are you. That just confirms what type of a fan you are.
Many teams have tried the load up on big name FA. Try to win the SB. It's not that successful . Then your struck in cap hell afterwards .

What was that finally line. After Brady done so are you. That just confirms what type of a fan you are.
Many teams have tried the load up on big name FA. Try to win the SB. It's not that successful . Then your struck in cap hell afterwards .

its kinda way outside this topic. but i have been clear about that since i joined here, i have been a fan of the pats and football way before brady and bb(mid 70's), but in a nutshell i am sick of this league, its rule changes, the owners greed, the press, the fantasy football view, incompetent officiating, all of it. i am just playing out the string so to speak with brady and bb out of a sense of i dont know, loyalty/seeing this run to its end i guess best describes it.

so there you go a built in excuse to dismiss everything i say because i am somehow a lesser fan/ not a real fan, its clear that is what you were alluding to..

its kinda way outside this topic. but i have been clear about that since i joined here, i have been a fan of the pats and football way before brady and bb(mid 70's), but in a nutshell i am sick of this league, its rule changes, the owners greed, the press, the fantasy football view, incompetent officiating, all of it. i am just playing out the string so to speak with brady and bb out of a sense of i dont know, loyalty/seeing this run to its end i guess best describes it.

so there you go a built in excuse to dismiss everything i say because i am somehow a lesser fan/ not a real fan, its clear that is what you were alluding to..

What you say makes plenty of sense. And you are, I think, no where near the only one.

Sorry but when ever read something like that. Band wagon fan or fairweather all comes to mind. I met way to many fans who don't know anything about the pats before Brady won a SB. I apologize if I offended you .

Sorry but when ever read something like that. Band wagon fan or fairweather all comes to mind. I met way to many fans who don't know anything about the pats before Brady won a SB. I apologize if I offended you .

its all good i am a bit on edge today after some of the comments on here so i just took it the wrong way.

Brady doesn't have that many years left...this should be obvious enough.

I wouldn't mind if BB signed more weapons on both sides (fine, special teams too)...it doesn't mean that you're going to win the superbowl, but, nothing is ever guaranteed. If you're ever going to do it, right now would be about the best time.

Quick question. How many times can a player be given the franchise tag?

only 2 times for non qb, and the 2nd year the players salary goes up by 120% over the previous year. the salary is fully guaranteed on signing the offer. also the player only actually has to show up week 10 or so? to get the year to count as one of his years (the team can doc pay accordingly i believe)

so for miller, 15 some odd mill this year and 18 mill next and then he is free as a bird.

My reason for NOT loading up is injury. How much depth was needed last year for the OLine to stop Denver. One decent back up tackle?

Seriously.

Despite all the injuries, all the lack of loading up on Offensive Weapons - the only change would be beating Denver with a good, game worthy Left Tackle backup (keeping Volmer at RT)

This is because Bill loads up EVERY year, not with stars but depth, viable backups who can play.

And Bill will win without Tom, he is undergoing an emphasis change from Offense to Defense for when Tom is gone.

My reason for NOT loading up is injury. How much depth was needed last year for the OLine to stop Denver. One decent back up tackle?

Seriously.

Despite all the injuries, all the lack of loading up on Offensive Weapons - the only change would be beating Denver with a good, game worthy Left Tackle backup (keeping Volmer at RT)

This is because Bill loads up EVERY year, not with stars but depth, viable backups who can play.

And Bill will win without Tom, he is undergoing an emphasis change from Offense to Defense for when Tom is gone.

maybe you are misunderstanding what i consider loading up, it does not have to be just the skill players, in fact if it was me it would be dl/ol first football is won in the trenches even now despite all the pub the skill guys get.

BB very much builds the best possible 1- 53 with the least impact to the future cap which is awesome when the goat is your qb and he is young, just trying to say with brady/bb time coming to an end it might be time to build an even better 1-53 by spending future cap now. at the very least it is a strategy worth considering

if BB sticks around he will win without tom sure, the pats are always a well coached/disciplined team who rarely beats themselves, that kind of team will always be around the playoffs purely because so many teams are horribly coached/managed. But to expect trophies and the kind of success the pats have had without brady is a fools errand. Brady gives the Pats the best chance to win a trophy anytime soon imho.

maybe you are misunderstanding what i consider loading up, it does not have to be just the skill players, in fact if it was me it would be dl/ol first football is won in the trenches even now despite all the pub the skill guys get.

BB very much builds the best possible 1- 53 with the least impact to the future cap which is awesome when the goat is your qb and he is young, just trying to say with brady/bb time coming to an end it might be time to build an even better 1-53 by spending future cap now. at the very least it is a strategy worth considering

if BB sticks around he will win without tom sure, the pats are always a well coached/disciplined team who rarely beats themselves, that kind of team will always be around the playoffs purely because so many teams are horribly coached/managed. But to expect trophies and the kind of success the pats have had without brady is a fools errand. Brady gives the Pats the best chance to win a trophy anytime soon imho.
he does. No one disagrees. But Bill loads up every single season with a solid 53 man roster.
I simply pointed out the difference between a SB appearance last year and the loss was a Left Tackle on the bench. Or better decisions the last two games of the year and playing Denver at home.

He added a project that will have big upside if Dante can convince him he is playing for his grandchildren a wealth. They picked up an additional TE that is a good to very good blocker. The protection will be there but they still need a Bench tackle who is being groomed to replace solder or Volmer in the 2018 season at the latest.

I have faith a CB, DE, and a LB will be added in the draft.

Bill is loading up heavy on the Show Me years of players. They win and they know more money is coming.

Bill is loading up just not over spending like a Strungout Irsay!

lets be serious here this off-season was not unexpected except by the dimmest of wits. Denver loaded up to win before manning retired and did it. kudos to them for not wasting time worrying about the future.

win, win now is the way to go if the window is closing. Every last one of us would love the Pats to load up and eff the future if it meant 1 or 2 more trophies before Brady is done.

Already a fairly strong possibility without going down the path the Donkeys did.

loading up does not have to mean the fins model of spending money stupidly, but it can be done like denver did to make a really good team for a short window before the salary cap catches up. the Pats model of putting a good team together and never risking the future is great when Brady and BB are young. But the window for Brady and BB is closing and i would gladly live with future salary cap hell to load up now...

They have been to 5 straight conference championship games. They've won 2 conference titles and a Super Bowl in that period of time. I'm pretty happy with that, and I expect them to continue to do what they're doing and continue to be in the hunt. I'm not a Yankee fan- I don't believe that any year that doesn't end in a championship is a failure.

he does. No one disagrees. But Bill loads up every single season with a solid 53 man roster.
I simply pointed out the difference between a SB appearance last year and the loss was a Left Tackle on the bench. Or better decisions the last two games of the year and playing Denver at home.

He added a project that will have big upside if Dante can convince him he is playing for his grandchildren a wealth. They picked up an additional TE that is a good to very good blocker. The protection will be there but they still need a Bench tackle who is being groomed to replace solder or Volmer in the 2018 season at the latest.

I have faith a CB, DE, and a LB will be added in the draft.

Bill is loading up heavy on the Show Me years of players. They win and they know more money is coming.

Bill is loading up just not over spending like a Strungout Irsay!

Great post. A GM can load up without over spending. And I agree with your previous post as well that the Pats were not in the Super Bowl last year because of their roster which one could argue was better than the one that won the Lombardi the year before, but because of injury (left tackle and Lewis) and poor coaching the last two games that cost them the #1 seed.

Kind of funny to read some of the creative thinking behind paying Miller what he's looking for...

...seem to remember the Donkeys pulling similar shit almost 20 years ago.

Seriously.

I sort of agree, but the debacle on the OL wasn't just the tackle position. It was Stork having trouble returning from injury and his coaches not picking up on the "tell". It was one rookie guard in Jackson who was slowed by injuries late after a really solid start and the other, Mason, who just hit the wall and didn't perform very well in the postseason.

It was sort of a systemic failure, but losing Solder was the key to the unraveling and the backups in Cannon, Fleming and Klein were all terrible, imo and we definitely need fresh blood, particularly at tackle. No doubt about it.

I don't expect we'll get after that particularly early, either. I think Bill, Dante & Co. will go for developmental guys and expect that the status quo can hold up better with the return of Solder and a bit more experience in the middle.

I'm not looking for fireworks, because just about every OT in this draft is going to need to work to get regular reps and the guys rated in the top 10 don't really seem to have significantly fewer questions than the next 10.

I'll throw out the name of Stephane Nembot (yes, that's really his name) from Colorado. The dude is huge and athletic, but inexperienced and not that close to being ready for prime time. He speaks a bunch of languages so you figure he can probably learn the offense and Dane will try to do his thing. He's rated as a 7th rounder or so. I got to watching him this past year just because his name cracked me up and I became intrigued because he was pretty good.

Most scouts concede that there are no sure things at OT this year. Everybody has a few warts. My guess is one or two OLs and nothing prior to the 5th round.

The team that drafts Laremy Tunsil in the top 5 is going to have to pay him big money, hope he can really play and then has to worry about signing him again when he is in his prime and his rookie contract expires. Left tackle is one expensive position to deal with.

Let somebody else worry about that stuff. Just because last year became an ordeal is no reason to think Bill is going to chuck the formula out the window.

Back