We all love Kevin Faulk...but maybe this isn't the end of the world

DarrylStingley

Boston Sports
Reaction score
We all know what Faulk brings. We all know that he's Brady's security blanket and often gets the ball when Brady really really really needs to convert a first down.

BUT:

- We've seen guys like Jabar Gaffney come out of nowhere and play big roles in this offense;

- We saw Jermaine Wiggines do that;

- The Pats have a ton of very good skill players;

- Danny Woodhead could be a player;

- Faulk was often split out wide or in the slot in 5-receiver sets;

- Hernandez could play an H Back type of role;

- The thought of getting Hernandez and Gronk on the field more is a good one.

The biggest concern I have, other than the big play stuff, is Faulk's blocking.

But I have a feeling that Faulk isn't going to be missed as much as people think.

It's definitely not an end of the World/We Are Doomed injury like Brady's, but he brought so much to the table in both the running and passing game, as well as special teams. It's ablow to the depth chart.

I have no faith in Woodhead or that Hernandez could replace Faulk in the backfield as either a runner or blocker or pass catcher.

None.

Danny Woodhead | #1 | WR/RB

Height: 5-9 Weight: 200 Age: 26
In 2004, Woodhead attended Chadron State in Chadron, Nebraska. He rushed for 1,840 rushing yards in his true freshman year. But those weren’t freshman-like stats; Those were more like senior season stats.

In Woodhead’s sophomore year, he had 278 carries for 1,769 yards including a 6.4 yards per carry average. He also pounded out 21 touchdowns. While the rushing game was good, he pounded in some expectational stats in receiving: 30 catches for 367 yards including 12.2 yards per reception average.

Woodhead had a brilliant season. Some have even said it was Hall of Fame caliber. Through twelve games he had 2,740 rushing yards, passing the record set by Kavin Gaillaird for most single-season division rushing yards. At the end of the seson Woodhead had amassed 2,756 yards. He led his team to the NCAA Division II playoffs, too, but they lost to Northwest Missouri State.

39 games into Woodhead’s career he had accounted for 606 points (that meant he averaged an incredible 15.5 points per game by himself), the highest ever in Division II. Only Dan Pugh of Mount Union College (in Ohio), who had 248 points in 2002, and Barry Sanders of Oklahoma State, who had 234 in 1988, had more points in a season than Woodhead in 2006.

But in 2007, Abilene Christian University’s Bernard Scott broke Woodhead’s record by scoring 39 touchdowns (234 points).

Woodhead got to show his stuff in front of the Atlanta Falcons’ scouts. They wanted to see his 40 yard dash time, and he raced to an impressive 4.41 seconds. That’s pretty fast. He also wont the 55-meter dash at the RMAC Indoor Meet in 2006 as well.

At the start of his senior year Woodhead already had 7,441 rushing yards in his career, an average of 190.8 rushing yards per game. He rushed for 200 or more yards in 19 of his 39 games and scored at least one touchdown in 37 consecutive games. Both of those are NCAA all-division records.

After a 208-yard performance against Western New Mexico that year, he became college football’s all-time leading rusher (though you probably never heard about it). He broke former Grove City College (PA) fullback R.J. Bowers record (Bowers played from 1997-2000) for the all-time rushing record. Woodhead was also the sixth player in history to rush for over 1,000 yards in all four of his seasons.

Woodhead ended his career with 9,259 all purpose yards, second all-time behind former Villanova and now Philadelphia Eagles’ runnning back, Brian Westbrook, who played for Villanova from 1997-2000 with his 9,512 all purpose yards.

Woodhead also tied Germaine Race’s (Pittsburg State, 2003-2006) record for Division II career scoring with 654 points on 109 touchdowns. Race is also the all-time leader in two-point conversions with 658 points. Woodhead is also the second player in college football history to rush for over 100 touchdowns.

Barry Sanders is the only player to have more all-purpose yards in a season than the 3,159 all purpose yards Woodhead had gained in 2006. Sanders had 3,250 in 1988, where he won the Heisman Trophy in his junior season. Woodhead was ranked tenth all-time in all purpose Division II yards with 7,349 yards just after his junior season. The Division II leader is Brian Shay of Emporia State as he had 9,301 yards, including 1,207 on kick returns from 1995-1998.

Woodhead was also a candidate for the Harlon Hill Trophy from 2004-2007. He won the trophy in 2006 and 2007. After his career, some people complained that Woodhead could have played for the University of Nebraska. Woodhead later said in an interview that Nebraska didn’t show much interest in him while Chadron State showed 100 percent of it.

At Chadron State he majored in Math education.

Amazingly, Woodhead did not receive an invite to the NFL Scouting Combine, so he had to use his Pro Day to show what he’s got. According to a report at NFLDraftWatch.net, Woodhead ran the 40-yard-dash at times between 4.33-to-4.38 in three tries. That would have been the fastest among all running backs attending the Combine for the 2008 NFL Draft. He posted the best pro-agility time (4.03 seconds), second best vertical jump (38½ inches), and the best 60-yard shuttle time (11.2 seconds).

I like your optimism DS and hope it's warranted. I do think they still will miss his veteran presence though either way. Dude is a ROCK of a teammate and a leader. Had this happened in 04 or so I would be less worried about all of that and only worried about missing him on the field.

it's not so much what he brought on the field but what he brought to the team...just remember him, half the size of his teammates, screaming his ass off on the sideline at them when they were getting killed by the ravens.

I like your optimism DS and hope it's warranted. I do think they still will miss his veteran presence though either way. Dude is a ROCK of a teammate and a leader. Had this happened in 04 or so I would be less worried about all of that and only worried about missing him on the field.

Me:

the-bullshit-button-panic-button-cool-gadgets-2.jpg

it's not so much what he brought on the field but what he brought to the team...just remember him, half the size of his teammates, screaming his ass off on the sideline at them when they were getting killed by the ravens.

Lot of good that did.....ok I'm kidding.

A well coached Pats team could move on pretty easily. This one doesn't seem to have its ducks in a row just yet so I expect there to be more "WTF was that?!" offensive drives for a few weeks. It is important to remember that the downs Faulk excelled at were the drive lengtheners. We've all seen how a single first down can remake the complexion of an entire game.

At the same time, if there is a blessing here, it is that the team has almost an entire year to reformat their offense. Faulk's 2nd half absences were big parts of the 2006 and 2007 season ending losses.

A well coached Pats team could move on pretty easily. This one doesn't seem to have its ducks in a row just yet so I expect there to be more "WTF was that?!" offensive drives for a few weeks. It is important to remember that the downs Faulk excelled at were the drive lengtheners. We've all seen how a single first down can remake the complexion of an entire game.

At the same time, if there is a blessing here, it is that the team has almost an entire year to reformat their offense. Faulk's 2nd half absences were big parts of the 2006 and 2007 season ending losses.

If this happened after week one, this would not be said. I am not sure I can say this team does not have its ducks in a row after a bad second game of the season. I still think the pats are very well coached.

Look for Brady to fumble on blind side blitzes more often with no Faulk back there to clean up blocking.

Yeah I guess its now impossible for them to plan for this with someone else picking it up. Faulk is not on other teams too. Like all injuries this team has had, someone else has to step up. I am pretty sure faulk is not the sole reason brady does not get blindsided on every drop back. I know what he brings to the team, and I am not happy anytime someone gets hurt, but this is not new, especially to this team.

Faulk lined up in the back field for only about half of his plays on Sunday, in my estimation.

I think that the other skill players they have can bring a lot of what Faulk did on those plays.

The big holes will be leadership and blitz pick up.....and the security blanket plays.

Try to make a f***in' block now Sammy Morris. :coffee:

Faulk lined up in the back field for only about half of his plays on Sunday, in my estimation.

I think that the other skill players they have can bring a lot of what Faulk did on those plays.

The big holes will be leadership and blitz pick up.....and the security blanket plays.

Yeah the pats are good about blitz pickups, and Brady is able to read these things well too. Cassel was sacked a ton in 2008 because of a lack of presnap checks, so someone will have to take over this duty. Morris would probably not be a good idea.....wait too soon?

Exactly. We saw who the real leader of that team was. He was fired up, while the 72 million dollar man sat on the bench and pouted.

But I have a feeling that Faulk isn't going to be missed as much as people think.

I disagree.

Nobody moves the chains like Kevin Faulk. The guy is a first down machine and has been for about the last 7 years. Everything else he does well.

I think he will most definitely be missed, but, yes, it isn't like we are out of options. We're simply a better team with him than without him, ergo, he will be missed.

I disagree.

Nobody moves the chains like Kevin Faulk. The guy is a first down machine and has been for about the last 7 years. Everything else he does well.

I think he will most definitely be missed, but, yes, it isn't like we are out of options. We're simply a better team with him than without him, ergo, he will be missed.
We don't really differ. Of course he will be missed. Leadership. Plays. Blocking.

I just think that they will find ways to cover this loss.

Put it this way: I'd be much more concerned if they had no real playmakers on defense. Ummmmmm........

Exactly. We saw who the real leader of that team was. He was fired up, while the 72 million dollar man sat on the bench and pouted.

Does it ever get boring? This whole hammer on Brady thing is such a tired act.

What Lisa said...only nicer.

Back