Week 10 games

Someone posted here that the Eagles very low turnover amount this year was unsustainable.

I am signing up for that bloke’s newsletter. 🏈
It's just a fundamental truth in the NFL and has been since the West Coast Offense became a thing. Whenever you hear 'opportunistic defense', you may as well hear 'early playoff exit'. Turnovers are similar to the BABIP stat in baseball. There is some skill, but a lot of it is luck. You play QBs that are loose with the ball, fumbles bounce the right way, etc etc. This isn't to say that there's no skill in causing turnovers, but once you start straying past the +10 line in turnover +/-, there's luck involved, and it's not a sustainable model for winning games, when your other statistical averages don't line up with a top-5 defense.

The way the Commando-skins were able to control the clock in the first half with long scoring drives makes me wonder what a top tier team could do to Eagles.
I wasn’t impressed by the Eagles and will need to see them beat better competition. Believe they have Titans on their schedule and Derrick Henry might run all over them

It's just a fundamental truth in the NFL and has been since the West Coast Offense became a thing. Whenever you hear 'opportunistic defense', you may as well hear 'early playoff exit'. Turnovers are similar to the BABIP stat in baseball. There is some skill, but a lot of it is luck. You play QBs that are loose with the ball, fumbles bounce the right way, etc etc. This isn't to say that there's no skill in causing turnovers, but once you start straying past the +10 line in turnover +/-, there's luck involved, and it's not a sustainable model for winning games, when your other statistical averages don't line up with a top-5 defense.

Turnovers have been crucial for all teams this year but the Eagles lived off them.

Yeah, the Eagles' turnover luck finally ran out against a typical hard-nosed Ron Rivera team.
Through 9 games, having 15 extra drive possessions (their turnover margin before last night) and, just as importantly, a corresponding 15 fewer drives for their opponents, was responsible for their undefeated season.

Well, it caught up with them last night. The proverbial regression to the mean...

Going -2 on turnovers bit them in the tail feather. It was inevitable. The Eagles weren't nearly as good as their undefeated record.

Washington had the ball for 40.5 mins; Philly had it 19.5 mins. Turnovers and a good running game for Washington.

Last edited:
Turnovers have been crucial for all teams this year but the Eagles lived off them.

Yeah, the Eagles' turnover luck finally ran out against a typical hard-nosed Ron Rivera team.
Through 9 games, having 15 extra drive possessions (their turnover margin before last night) and, just as importantly, a corresponding 15 fewer drives for their opponents, was responsible for their undefeated season.

Well, it caught up with them last night. The proverbial regression to the mean...

Going -2 on turnovers bit them in the tail feather. It was inevitable. The Eagles weren't nearly as good as their undefeated record.

Washington had the ball for 40.5 mins; Philly had it 19.5 mins. Turnovers and a good running game for Washington.
Not even that good >4ypc. That's what I mean when I say attempts are almost as important as production. If you're running 30+ times, and taking 40 minutes off the clock, you're going to win far more often than not.

Not even that good >4ypc. That's what I mean when I say attempts are almost as important as production. If you're running 30+ times, and taking 40 minutes off the clock, you're going to win far more often than not.

You're right. Not that good but just good enough to clip the Eagles wings.

Good for the Commanders! Division games are always tough.

The Eagles were +13 in turnover difference. That is an indicator, but not the only one, on win loss record. There are others like the Chiefs that are -4, so they are able to overcome that.
The Patriots are even in turnover difference.

The Eagles were +13 in turnover difference. That is an indicator, but not the only one, on win loss record. There are others like the Chiefs that are -4, so they are able to overcome that.
The Patriots are even in turnover difference.

Turnovers killed the Pats earlier in teh year.

The 'Skins have won 4 of their last 5 and should have beaten the Vikings. Defense is back to the level it was playing at a couple years ago and is about to get Chase Young back. They're going to be a handful for whoever they play from this point on. Impressed with how well Heineke is playing, my favorite play was on that botched snap where he managed to recover enough to throw an incomplete pass, saved the 'Skins 20 yards and a down

Back