WEEK 14 • THURSDAY NIGHT - New England Patriots AT Los Angeles Rams

Figured I would get this thread going given the 4 day turn around. Feel good about our D vs their O. Don't feel great about our O vs their D. Still very winnable but probably our toughest game left.

Well, I don't expect them to get down by 2 scores but if they are that's a bad situation to put a young kid in confidence-wise cuz at that point the gameplan goes out the window.
If we are down by multiple scores that means the game plan needs to be thrown out. Let's face it Newton is not bringing us back vs this Rams defense passing the ball.

If we are down by multiple scores that means the game plan needs to be thrown out. Let's face it Newton is not bringing us back vs this Rams defense passing the ball.

Probably not but this team is not predicated on a massive passing game this year.

Probably not but this team is not predicated on a massive passing game this year.
Massive? How about just competent? I have come around on some of our skill guys. I think Gunner can run routes and get open, Myers is pretty solid as is Byrd, Harry has moved to the slot which is better for him. And we still have White. The issue is Cam just cannot hit these guys. I feel with Stidham we could see some semblance of the passing attack we had last year with Brady but the difference being we can actually run this year and have a great Oline so we can play action effectively as opposed to last year. I don't think we need massive at all to get this thing rolling. We just need a QB that can pass and make the plays that are there.

Massive? How about just competent? I have come around on some of our skill guys. I think Gunner can run routes and get open, Myers is pretty solid as is Byrd, Harry has moved to the slot which is better for him. And we still have White. The issue is Cam just cannot hit these guys. I feel with Stidham we could see some semblance of the passing attack we had last year with Brady but the difference being we can actually run this year and have a great Oline so we can play action effectively as opposed to last year. I don't think we need massive at all to get this thing rolling. We just need a QB that can pass and make the plays that are there.
Isn't it interesting that Cam was a competent passer when he was with the Panthers but now with the Patriots he sucks as a passer.
FYI...
Cam routinely had 3000-4000 yds/year and an avg rating of 86 over his career.
His avg comp% in 9 yrs with the Panthers was 60%; this year with the Pats it's 67%. That's pretty good for a guy who "just cannot hit these guys", especially when you
look at Brady's completion% with the same guys last year- 61%.

No, this team is predicated on a ground and pound offense of which Cam is a big part, good special teams, and the hope was a decent defense which has been showing up as of late.

Isn't it interesting that Cam was a competent passer when he was with the Panthers but now with the Patriots he sucks as a passer.
FYI...
His avg comp% in 9 yrs with the Panthers was 60%; this year with the Pats it's 67%. That's pretty good for a guy who "just cannot hit these guys", especially when you

It is embarrassing Chevvs every time you try to compare Newton's passing with Brady's from last year. 24 passing TDs to 8 picks for Brady to 5 TDs and 9 picks for Newton. He is also currently 26th in QB rating and 24th is passing yards. Somehow he is also 35 in the NFL in TD passes which means a bunch of back up QBs and random players have more passing TDs. LOL.

But I don't think Newton's passing woes are the skills guys anymore especially give the play of our Oline and run game. First his mechanics are putrid, second, he can't read a blitz or coverage well at all. Third, I think his shoulder is fizzing out. Bedard alluding to it yesterday and I agree with him. His throws are erratic. High on some, dirt balls on others. This was always the risk with him and why he was still on the market on June 28.

It is embarrassing Chevvs every time you try to compare Newton's passing with Brady's from last year. 24 passing TDs to 8 picks for Brady to 5 TDs and 9 picks for Newton. He is also currently 26th in QB rating and 24th is passing yards. Somehow he is also 35 in the NFL in TD passes which means a bunch of back up QBs and random players have more passing TDs. LOL.

But I don't think Newton's passing woes are the skills guys anymore especially give the play of our Oline and run game. First his mechanics are putrid, second, he can't read a blitz or coverage well at all. Third, I think his shoulder is fizzing out. Bedard alluding to it yesterday and I agree with him. His throws are erratic. High on some, dirt balls on others. This was always the risk with him and why he was still on the market on June 28.

Embarrassing to you because of the things you say. All I did was give you the facts. I'm not embarrassed at all.
I can't blame Cam for the play calling which is skewed towards running the ball more this year. Pass plays are way down this year but, I'll say it again, when Cam passes he completes a higher % of passes than Brady did last year. Think about that.
I'll ask about his shoulder...could be true but I don't think anyone on the team would relay that sensitive info to Bedard.

Embarrassing to you because of the things you say. All I did was give you the facts. I'm not embarrassed at all.
I can't blame Cam for the play calling which is skewed towards running the ball more this year. Pass plays are way down this year but, I'll say it again, when Cam passes he completes a higher % of passes than Brady did last year. Think about that.
I'll ask about his shoulder...could be true but I don't think anyone on the team would relay that sensitive info to Bedard.
Brady attempted 613 passes last year, Cam has attempted 285. The play calling is skewed because his passing is awful. You know this. We are a run heavy team precisely because he is a much better runner than passer.

Bedard was basing his opinion on what he saw on film not on anything he is hearing from the Pats org. But it would be good if you could confirm. I do appreciate all your insights in that regard. You are a tremendous source of info up here. Even when I was not posting for the last couple of years, I did come by just to read your posts so I could get info on the Pats. So thank you. (y)

FYI...

That's probably the reason why the Panthers gave up on him...because he no longer has those skills.

What is more frustrating is this team was plenty good enough to really compete this year if it had decent QB play.

Back