WEEK 14 • THURSDAY NIGHT - New England Patriots AT Los Angeles Rams

Figured I would get this thread going given the 4 day turn around. Feel good about our D vs their O. Don't feel great about our O vs their D. Still very winnable but probably our toughest game left.

Hope JJones can play.

Eo0_km9WMAM89WA

It is embarrassing Chevvs every time you try to compare Newton's passing with Brady's from last year. 24 passing TDs to 8 picks for Brady to 5 TDs and 9 picks for Newton. He is also currently 26th in QB rating and 24th is passing yards. Somehow he is also 35 in the NFL in TD passes which means a bunch of back up QBs and random players have more passing TDs. LOL.

But I don't think Newton's passing woes are the skills guys anymore especially give the play of our Oline and run game. First his mechanics are putrid, second, he can't read a blitz or coverage well at all. Third, I think his shoulder is fizzing out. Bedard alluding to it yesterday and I agree with him. His throws are erratic. High on some, dirt balls on others. This was always the risk with him and why he was still on the market on June 28.

Doesn’t Newton have 14 TDs? You can’t dismiss running TDs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

You can't compare the two . They Run a completely new system under Newton. That's why almost all offense success is in Running game .

The system is new and we all knew it would be new as soon as TB12 bolted. We've watched as BB built the team with an emphasis on running the ball - road grader OL and a stable of RBs - for a few years now. We expected less passing and more running the ball and that's exactly what we're getting. We actually saw a preview of it in our Rams SB game 2 years ago.
It's been effective for the most part even when teams stack the box with 8-9 defensive players against us. And, it took a while but finally our defense is playing up to expectations recently; let's hope that continues the rest of the way.
It should surprise no one that the Pats are the least aggressive passing team in the league. We expected this is how it would be. It should be no surprise that Cam's passing numbers don't compare with pass heavy QBs.

View: https://twitter.com/ezlazar/status/1336761243898699784

For all you clever TB12 lackies who want to use Cam's passing stats against him, with all those weapons - 3 top 5 WRs + Gronk + a coach who loves the pass - TB12 has exactly 1 more win than the Patriots right now.
I have news for you - there's more than 1 way to win football games.
It doesn't have to be all passing or even pass heavy because running the ball can also be effective. Vince Lombardi, Bear Bryant, Woody Hayes, Paul Brown, George Halas and more proved that. Old school.

The most sure way to win is by being efficient. Efficiency is the key and has always been the key to winning games. Score on a high percentage of possessions and the wins will come as long as the D does its job more times than not. Move the ball, get 1st downs, score. Pass or run, the objective is the same.
Earlier in the year in some games the Pats weren't efficient on either side of the ball - we knew there would be growing pains with the new QB and new identity. We also know that BB teams generally get better and better as the year goes on. That's showing up now. Efficiency - BB did it with TB and now he's beginning to get it done with Cam.

This team has been very efficient recently and efficiency wins games.

View: https://twitter.com/ezlazar/status/1336369589777784833

You can't compare the two . They Run a completely new system under Newton. That's why almost all offense success is in Running game .
I agree but the discussion was passing because for some reason Chevvs thinks Cam is performing better than Brady in that area. LOL.

If they can pull off a win tonight, then they have AFCE games the rest of the year. Who knows, I'd really like to see the Patriots have a winning or non-losing record for 20 consecutive years.

If they can pull off a win tonight, then they have AFCE games the rest of the year. Who knows, I'd really like to see the Patriots have a winning or non-losing record for 20 consecutive years.
We can tie the Cowboys record of 20 consecutive years without a losing season (they never went .500) so that is definitely something I want to see happen. Just have to get to 9 wins.

Tonight will be a firepit viewing on the 10X6 bigscreen. The temp is expected to get down in the 20's so I'll lay in a good stock of firewood and use a propane heater.

No, it's not as good as the electricity of a real game at Gillette, but it ain't a half bad way of watching a game and it's a lot easier getting out of the driveway afterwards.

I'm not into predicting what'll happen tonight, because literally anything is possible. Neither team is even remotely the same as the ones that met about 20 months ago in the Super Bowl.

One marquee match up that will be focused on will be Aaron Donald vs. our entire OL, but mostly Joe Thuney. Thuney will be leaving us soon for a juicy free agent deal that he has earned and his performance vs. Donald in the last meeting was simply epic. I've wondered since whether their guy has been stewing over that night and looking forward to round II. That wouldn't surprise me a bit. Meanwhile, our guy gets a chance to show people that it wasn't just a fluke and earn himself an even bigger deal.

Watch the hand-fighting between them that is straight out of a Kung-Fu film. Donald will try to get his meathooks on Thuney's shoulder pads to control him and Joe will try to make sure that doesn't happen with jabs and counter punches. This matchup in interior line play is as good as it gets.

While you're watching them, sneak a peak or two at number 71 at RT. The 6th round pick, Mike Onwenu, made Joey Bosa disappear last week. Absolutely tremendous play from the rookie.

We can tie the Cowboys record of 20 consecutive years without a losing season (they never went .500) so that is definitely something I want to see happen. Just have to get to 9 wins.
The Cowboys 20 year streak was 1966 to 1985. The first four years were before the merger. Most of the other years were before FA and salary cap. So the Patriots streak of 19 is a record for the "modern era" of the NFL. I don't know why, the NFL doesn't separate official records for pre-merger and post-merger.

The Cowboys 20 year streak was 1966 to 1985. The first four years were before the merger. Most of the other years were before FA and salary cap. So the Patriots streak of 19 is a record for the "modern era" of the NFL. I don't know why, the NFL doesn't separate official records for pre-merger and post-merger.
I know what you are saying but 20 years of winning is 20 years of winning. That much sweeter if we can tie it and then beat it next year. (y)

The toughest part for the Pats in terms of their record is 3 losses vs losing teams. And then the loss to the Bills where Cam gave the game away. Most seasons the Pats would only have one bad loss usually to Miami and win all the rest garbage games and then go .500 vs the really good teams. That is how we got to 12 wins every year. That 3-4 game swing is the difference between having a championship contending season and being 6-6. That is where we are post-Brady and I don't think all that surprising. When we find the next legit QB we will be right back in the mix.

Of course they are competing. They may not be making a public spectacle like this board is, but they are. I would be disappointed if they weren't. Competition breeds excellence.

Back