Week 17 Other Games : Black Monday to follow

Roberto71

Reaction score
Significant games this week for a lot of coaches.

NFL.com reporting that the feeling in the Browns facility is Pettine will be coaching his last game there. Seems a bit harsh...

McCoy, Mularkey, Pettine, Tomsula, Pagano, Campbell all will probably be gone.

Coughlin, Caldwell, Garrett all on the hot seat.

Lewis will depend on how the Bengals do in the playoffs. A loss straight up and he'll be gone surely.

Sean Payton looks like he'll be staying.

Significant games this week for a lot of coaches.

NFL.com reporting that the feeling in the Browns facility is Pettine will be coaching his last game there. Seems a bit harsh...

McCoy, Mularkey, Pettine, Tomsula, Pagano, Campbell all will probably be gone.

Coughlin, Caldwell, Garrett all on the hot seat.

Lewis will depend on how the Bengals do in the playoffs. A loss straight up and he'll be gone surely.

Sean Payton looks like he'll be staying.

Marvin Lewis will never be fired.

As for Lewis.... the Bengals always choke when it matters (latest was the Monday night loss to Bronco's) but under Lewis at least they give the fan base hope... and I believe their owner only cares about keeping fans showing up to games, so Lewis will be there as long as he's winning division titles and getting them to the playoffs. an actual win would just be a bonus to the owners (because that means whatever $$ they make on additional playoff games)

Coughlin? Really? I mean, I know this will be his 3rd losing season in a row, but geez, the guy's won you 2 SBs in the last decade, has made the playoffs 5 times in the last 10 years, and has the second most wins of any Giants head coach in team history. I know that's not Belichick / Patriots level consistent success in terms of playoff appearances, but seriously, you would think he'd have more slack than that.

On the other hand, maybe they want to chase him out before one of the best Giants HCs of all time is departing with a losing record. Either way, I didn't see that coming.

Coughlin? Really? I mean, I know this will be his 3rd losing season in a row, but geez, the guy's won you 2 SBs in the last decade, has made the playoffs 5 times in the last 10 years, and has the second most wins of any Giants head coach in team history. I know that's not Belichick / Patriots level consistent success in terms of playoff appearances, but seriously, you would think he'd have more slack than that.

On the other hand, maybe they want to chase him out before one of the best Giants HCs of all time is departing with a losing record. Either way, I didn't see that coming.

It's a "what have you done for me lately" league... errr... world.

The Giants have missed the playoffs 6 out of the last 7 years. Not even a Super Bowl Win can save that.

Mike Pettine is a good bet to lose his job on Black Monday. General manager Ray Farmer might go first http://www.profootballrumors.com/browns-likely-to-fire-mike-pettine-on-monday/ …

Coughlin
The Giants were trashed by Minnyhttp://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/teams/min/ on Sunday, their fifth loss in six games. They are officially out of the playoffs, looking up in the standings at Washington, LOL, which won the NFC East; they haven’t been to the postseason since winning the Super Bowl after the 2011 season. The roster is incredibly thin, but that's on general manager Jerry Reese, not Coughlin. But Coughlin will be 70 years old next season. I think Coughlin "retires" with a buy out. He's earned it.

Pettine
The Browns have started three quarterbacks this season, and the Johnny Foosball saga has seemingly become the NFL’s clown face, with Manziel starting one week, benched the next, caught partying on social media, and now being evaluated for a concussion, though another video surfaced of him over Christmas weekend. Under the circumstances, Pettine seems to have done as well as possible although this was a step back year for Cleveland. The argument could be made to give him at least another year (and a less tabloid-prone quarterback) and see what some stability could do for a franchise that’s had seven head coaches in 16 years.

Caldwell
The Lions have rebounded since starting the season a woeful 1-7, winning five of their last seven, including their first W at Lambeau Field since 1991. But 90-year-old Martha Firestone Ford has been fiesty since taking over for her late husband, William Clay Ford, and has said she's tired of losing. That could mean a new head coach but is that the best way to win quickly? Maybe she will pay big $$ for an established winning coach but I doubt it. Not having a GM now may save Caldwell until one is named.

Jeff Fisher (He deserves to be in the Black Monday discussions)
The Rams are on a three-game winning streak heading into Black Monday and are now 7-8. Once again, Fisher is providing just enough hope to make you think his team is on the verge of something. Over his career, however, that something never comes.

Jim Tomsula
Where to begin...in his attempt to be as different from Jim Harbaugh as possible, Tomsula let the players dictate the practice schedule during training camp, which meant afternoon practices so players could work in the shade. True. They also got breaks every 30 minutes during meetings so they could check their phones. ROFLMAO

Mike McCoy
Since a 23-14 home loss to the Pats in Week 14 last year, the Chargers are 5-14. This is his 3rd year in SD and his team is getting worse.

Pagano
On Tuesday, they had to sign two quarterbacks off the street, Josh Freeman and Ryan Lindley? to give them three healthy bodies at the position, along with Stephen Morris, signed off Philly’s practice squad last week. One of them will start against the Titans without knowing the offense but with the Colts’ (tiny, but still possible) playoff chances in the balance. Pagano has been blamed but isn't Grigson the real villain here? Tommy says Grigson is Irsay's guy. In my mind Grigson has to go. I say can them both and start fresh with a stronger minded coach and a less arrogant GM.

Teams needing new GMs, in my mind anyway:
Titans
Browns
Dolphins
Giants
Colts
Chargers

I don't look forward to the possibility of having offers made to Nick Caserio (or to McD either for that matter).

Coughlin
The Giants were trashed by Minnyhttp://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/teams/min/ on Sunday, their fifth loss in six games. They are officially out of the playoffs, looking up in the standings at Washington, LOL, which won the NFC East; they haven’t been to the postseason since winning the Super Bowl after the 2011 season. The roster is incredibly thin, but that's on general manager Jerry Reese, not Coughlin. But Coughlin will be 70 years old next season. I think Coughlin "retires" with a buy out. He's earned it.

Pettine
The Browns have started three quarterbacks this season, and the Johnny Foosball saga has seemingly become the NFL’s clown face, with Manziel starting one week, benched the next, caught partying on social media, and now being evaluated for a concussion, though another video surfaced of him over Christmas weekend. Under the circumstances, Pettine seems to have done as well as possible although this was a step back year for Cleveland. The argument could be made to give him at least another year (and a less tabloid-prone quarterback) and see what some stability could do for a franchise that’s had seven head coaches in 16 years.

Caldwell
The Lions have rebounded since starting the season a woeful 1-7, winning five of their last seven, including their first W at Lambeau Field since 1991. But 90-year-old Martha Firestone Ford has been fiesty since taking over for her late husband, William Clay Ford, and has said she's tired of losing. That could mean a new head coach but is that the best way to win quickly? Maybe she will pay big $$ for an established winning coach but I doubt it. Not having a GM now may save Caldwell until one is named.

Jeff Fisher (He deserves to be in the Black Monday discussions)
The Rams are on a three-game winning streak heading into Black Monday and are now 7-8. Once again, Fisher is providing just enough hope to make you think his team is on the verge of something. Over his career, however, that something never comes.

Jim Tomsula
Where to begin...in his attempt to be as different from Jim Harbaugh as possible, Tomsula let the players dictate the practice schedule during training camp, which meant afternoon practices so players could work in the shade. True. They also got breaks every 30 minutes during meetings so they could check their phones. ROFLMAO

Mike McCoy
Since a 23-14 home loss to the Pats in Week 14 last year, the Chargers are 5-14. This is his 3rd year in SD and his team is getting worse.

Pagano
On Tuesday, they had to sign two quarterbacks off the street, Josh Freeman and Ryan Lindley? to give them three healthy bodies at the position, along with Stephen Morris, signed off Philly’s practice squad last week. One of them will start against the Titans without knowing the offense but with the Colts’ (tiny, but still possible) playoff chances in the balance. Pagano has been blamed but isn't Grigson the real villain here? Tommy says Grigson is Irsay's guy. In my mind Grigson has to go. I say can them both and start fresh with a stronger minded coach and a less arrogant GM.

Teams needing new GMs, in my mind anyway:
Titans
Browns
Dolphins
Giants
Colts
Chargers

I don't look forward to the possibility of having offers made to Nick Caserio (or to McD either for that matter).

I could see Caserio realistically looking at Tennessee and the Giants.

McDaniels maybe just the Giants. And that would depend on who their new GM would be, of course.

I still think Joshy's being well-compensated, and has no desire to coach anywhere but here. That said, the Giants at least have stability in ownership, and don't tend to meddle in football ops.

If that roster wasn't so damned bereft of talent, I'd think both McDaniels and Caserio would be more likely to look there.

The rest of those teams are just nightmares when it comes to ownership. I don't know why any coaches or GMs would ever work there without significant pay increases over the norm.

I could see Caserio realistically looking at Tennessee and the Giants.

McDaniels maybe just the Giants. And that would depend on who their new GM would be, of course.

I still think Joshy's being well-compensated, and has no desire to coach anywhere but here. That said, the Giants at least have stability in ownership, and don't tend to meddle in football ops.

If that roster wasn't so damned bereft of talent, I'd think both McDaniels and Caserio would be more likely to look there.

The rest of those teams are just nightmares when it comes to ownership. I don't know why any coaches or GMs would ever work there without significant pay increases over the norm.

McD could be enticed but Eli will be 35 and may retire soon. It's a QB league.
Caserio may consider the low talent level on the Giants an opportunity. IDK. The thought of losing him is frightening to me.

The upside of Black Monday for us Schadenfreude-types is that we get to revel in the ineptitude of the vast majority of other franchises.

The downside, of course, is that the staff of the Patriots gets raided.

The upside of the downside is that after we lose some front-office and/or coaching personnel, BB brings in fresh blood and has another opportunity to reload, and that new challenges emerge and are overcome.

That's the real skill of Belichick. Year after year we lose assistant coaches and wonder will the team be the same, X was a great assistant coach and there could be a drop off etc etc. And each year we get consistency. BB picks the right man and it moves on added of course to his coaching.

He's an astonishingly brilliant football coach.

I think it's time for Coughlin to retire...but how come we never hear about Tomlin's ineptitude??? dude makes loads of ????? in game decisions and his team has won 0 playoff games since sb45 .

Caldwell

In terms of the Lions, the only move I can see them making to replace Caldwell is Kelly. It takes care of their GM needs and provides a new HC simultaneously, and they have a decent setup in terms of their skill positions for supporting his kind of offense. Not perfect, but what team looking for a new HC / GM is?

Of course I'm not sure he showed enough in Philly for them to buy into that plan, and I'm also not sure that moving on is the right direction in general, as Caldwell, Jim Bob, and Teryl Austin seem to be able to elicit at least basic competence out of the current players, something not guaranteed with the full coaching staff turnover Kelly would certainly represent. But if you *are* going to move on from Caldwell, imho that's where you go.

The Lions are now being run by a senile old woman. Who would want to go there??

Tommy is right, ownership in the NFL bar one or two exceptions, is a joke.

Why would the Browns fire Pettine? Don't they have him in the first place because no one else would take the job? Who remembers this not-so-shining endorsement when he was hired, "My dream in life is to be ahead coach in the NFL. I don't care how that opportunity comes to me."

But by all means, Cleveland, keep that revolving door spinning, you're doubtless one more spin of the wheel away from jackpot :coffee:

Sent by the voices inside my head

Back