Week 9 - Patriots @ Ratbirds, Sunday 11/3 8:20PM

bideau

Offering friendly advice
Reaction score
On to another week. This will likely be the biggest test to date for the Pats.
How will they defend Jackson, will Sanu become a bigger part of the offense, will Harry be active for the game, and if so, how much of a factor will he be?

Also, will Wynn begin practicing today?

Let the discussions begin.....

4 out of 5 talking heads on FSN radio this morning picked the Ravens. Reasons stated included:

• Chubb carved up the Patriots defense. Imagine what Lamar Jackson and Ingram do
  • This is the first real team the Patriots have faced
  • BB wants to lose a game to take the undefeated team pressure off
  • It's an away game in a tough environment
  • Harbaugh is actually a better football coach than most of the coaches the Pats will face
  • The Pats offense is a mess and will do nothing against the Ravens defense
  • The players will be looking ahead to the bye week and less focused than normal

Sounds like we are doomed. It will be a dogfight.

The Ravens are tough, but this is also the same team that lost at home to the Browns and squeaked by the Cardinals. I think people are seeing the Seahawks game as a barometer of how they are, but they are somewhere in between.

I think with a week off and being at home, Baltimore 'should' win this game, but it'll be close. I'd rather use this game as intel for the playoffs because I think it's likely this will be the first of two matchups this season.

On to another week. This will likely be the biggest test to date for the Pats.
How will they defend Jackson, will Sanu become a bigger part of the offense, will Harry be active for the game, and if so, how much of a factor will he be?

Also, will Wynn begin practicing today?

Let the discussions begin.....

It will be fun to see who shadows Jackson who has elite speed. J or D McCourtey? Maybe a rotation of these 2 guys?

I'm wondering if we will see more zone coverage to keep eyes on Jackson?

And the Ratbirds haven't faced a defense like the Pats yet either, BB knows what the Ratbirds do best and will game plan accordingly. This isn't the same team that had Ray Lewis, Ed Reed, Suggs and Ngata on defense.

Going to this one, going to try to bring a win home.

---------- Post added at 10:55 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:53 AM ----------

Tough game. I think Collins will spy Jackson all game. I wouldn't be surprised if the Pats lost this one.

they'll make the Crows one-dimensional on offense. The Crow defense isn't what it's been in years past either. Seeing a win, Pats offense pulls away late.

it also wouldn't surprise me if Pats lose this one. Ravens coming of bye while pats have yet to get theirs. some key guys either not back yet (Wynn?) or not back up to speed

I suspect the Crows will see this as a mini-superbowl for them and be hyped up.
How they try to contain Jackson will be interesting (and tough to do).

Tough game. I think Collins will spy Jackson all game. I wouldn't be surprised if the Pats lost this one.

Jackson has 40 speed in the 4.3's. If we can set the edge and keep Jackson inside maybe we can shut him down with LB's. I'm also wondering if we keep the bigs in on DL on short yardage 3rd downs for gap control. Gonna be a fun game to watch.

I think the Pats win this one more comfortably than some folks expect (10+ point lead at end of game). Reasons being:

- The Patriots are the better team, by a significant margin, 1-53.

- The Patriots have a bye week coming up, no one wants to stew in stink and loss for 2 weeks
- Lamar Jackson is a 2nd year QB. Need I remind everyone what BB's record is against 1st or 2nd year QBs? He's won 20 straight against them.

- Everyone has been talking about how the Patriots haven't won against anybody yet, the team knows for the next 2 weeks all they'll hear is how the team is a fraud and a sham if they don't win.

I think the offense scores 3 TDs, Defense scores a TD, Patriots win 28-17

I'm optimistic about this game. I feel it's gonna be low scoring, but the defense will keep Jackson bottled up. Chubb running through the defense like a hot knife through butter was the best thing that could have happened, because BB will be on them about stuffing the run.

Offensively I think it just needs to be enough to give the defense a chance. Lamar Jackson will have to make some tough reads, because the corners will be on the receivers like the secondary has been all year.

BB against young QBs is usually a massive mismatch. It might be tougher given his ability to extend plays, but if the line and linebackers stay disciplined they'll keep him in check.

This should be a good game unless the offense wakes up and lights up the Ravens D, which I don't think is likely given how they've played.

I'm optimistic about this game. I feel it's gonna be low scoring, but the defense will keep Jackson bottled up. Chubb running through the defense like a hot knife through butter was the best thing that could have happened, because BB will be on them about stuffing the run.

Offensively I think it just needs to be enough to give the defense a chance. Lamar Jackson will have to make some tough reads, because the corners will be on the receivers like the secondary has been all year.

BB against young QBs is usually a massive mismatch. It might be tougher given his ability to extend plays, but if the line and linebackers stay disciplined they'll keep him in check.

This should be a good game unless the offense wakes up and lights up the Ravens D, which I don't think is likely given how they've played.

currently leading the league in scoring. Isn't that what an offense is supposed to do? Or, are we now Chiefs fans who think if it doesn't look all shiny and pretty it's meaningless? I'm sick to death about hearing how much the offense sucks. There have been inconsistencies...but overall it's been much more than adequate.

oh, and Ray Lewis, Ed Reed and Haloti Ngata aren't suiting up for the Ratbirds this week. Neither is Terrel Suggs. Or CJ Mosely. The defense isn't the same.

currently leading the league in scoring. Isn't that what an offense is supposed to do? Or, are we now Chiefs fans who think if it doesn't look all shiny and pretty it's meaningless? I'm sick to death about hearing how much the offense sucks. There have been inconsistencies...but overall it's been much more than adequate.

oh, and Ray Lewis, Ed Reed and Haloti Ngata aren't suiting up for the Ratbirds this week. Neither is Terrel Suggs. Or CJ Mosely. The defense isn't the same.

Is that total PPG or PPG scored by offenses?

If the latter, that’s kind of a sad indictment of the rest of the league given how pedestrian this offense has looked at times haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wynn is practicing making him the 2nd activation off IR. His first eligible game will be 11/24 vs Dallas

Some more interesting numbers heading into the Ravens game:
https://www.pennlive.com/baltimore-...triots-4-stats-that-could-tell-the-story.html

• Tom Brady ranks 28th in the NFL with 7.3 intended air yards per pass attempt
  • Patriots opponents have thrown interceptions more often (19 times) this season than they’ve converted third downs (15)
  • The Ravens lead the NFL in plays, yards, points and time elapsed per possession
  • The Ravens are 9-2 coming off the bye week under coach John Harbaugh

Opposing teams have converted just 15 of 96 (15.6 percent) third-down tries against the Patriots this year.

Is that total PPG or PPG scored by offenses?

If the latter, that’s kind of a sad indictment of the rest of the league given how pedestrian this offense has looked at times haha

Here's the breakdown, just offense-

33 vs. the Steelers

36 vs. the Dolphins

30 vs. the JETE

16 vs. the Bills

33 vs. the Redskins

21* vs. the Giants (*had 1st and goal at the 6 with 1:40 on the clock and 3 TOs. Ran the clock out from victory formation)

33 vs. the JETE

20 vs. the Clowns in shitty weather

if I go strictly by these numbers, it's 27.4. If I credit a TD for the last possession of the Giants game (Sony was going to walk it in, Giants D was dead), it goes to 28.5...but let's go back to that 27.4 number. There are only 3 teams in the league with a better PPG than that number.

The Queefs defense has scored 2 TDs. That puts their offensive PPG at 26.3. The 49ers have scored 2 TDs. That puts their offensive PPG at 27.6, just ahead of the Pats. Ratbird defense has scored 2 TDs, putting their offensive PPG at 28.6, which leads the league. So yeah, the Pats offense sucks.

Here's the breakdown, just offense-

33 vs. the Steelers

36 vs. the Dolphins

30 vs. the JETE

16 vs. the Bills

33 vs. the Redskins

21* vs. the Giants (*had 1st and goal at the 6 with 1:40 on the clock and 3 TOs. Ran the clock out from victory formation)

33 vs. the JETE

20 vs. the Clowns in shitty weather

if I go strictly by these numbers, it's 27.4. If I credit a TD for the last possession of the Giants game (Sony was going to walk it in, Giants D was dead), it goes to 28.5...but let's go back to that 27.4 number. There are only 3 teams in the league with a better PPG than that number.

The Queefs defense has scored 2 TDs. That puts their offensive PPG at 26.3. The 49ers have scored 2 TDs. That puts their offensive PPG at 27.6, just ahead of the Pats. Ratbird defense has scored 2 TDs, putting their offensive PPG at 28.6, which leads the league. So yeah, the Pats offense sucks.

Offense doesn’t suck but isn’t up to its usual standard so far. Tons more punts than usual and that PPG gets the benefit of a lot of short fields from the D.

But I’d still say that’s a pretty solid number given the struggles. Most offenses can’t manage that kind of output even operating at its full potential. This team has real potential to have both a dominant D and O (when it gets rolling).

I'm far from the fan that needlessly shits on the team for not being perfect, but let's not pretend like the offense has been stellar. Sure, there have been games where they have looked better, but the offense has been immensely aided by the defense. How many touchdowns have come from the defense and special teams? Also, how many drives have the offense capitalized off turnovers and a short field?

Going to this one, going to try to bring a win home.

---------- Post added at 10:55 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:53 AM ----------

they'll make the Crows one-dimensional on offense. The Crow defense isn't what it's been in years past either. Seeing a win, Pats offense pulls away late.

Red, white, and navy cammo?

Back