What are the last 5 Books you've read?

Just a shout out to Schrute for having great taste in books because I really loved The Ritual. It's not only a topic I can relate to because I still go on annual backpacking trips, but it was beautifully and intelligently written and absolutely riveting in it's depiction of suffering and pure horror that you don't often run across when you've read untold numbers of books of that genre. Very inventive with some nice twists and turns. This is some hardcore stuff.

This isn't the first time Dwight has steered me right, so I'd advise giving the books he plugs due consideration.

Thank you.

Horrible horror,, Thanks for the warning.

http://www.photofile.com/Original/AA/HB/aahb243.jpg

3 more that I recently finished:

1. Sea of Glory-- America's Voyage of Discovery -- The U.S. Exploring Expedition

by Nathaniel Philbrick

You've all heard of Lewis and Clark, but few have ever heard of this far more ambitious 1838 expedition commissioned by the U.S. Government to map the Pacific, Antarctica and the American Northwest coast. The reason you've never heard of it is because the expedition, while wildly successful in a scientific sense, ended up degenerating into a huge political mess for various reasons and the Captain was not a good candidate for the American Hero treatment. It's got everything from cannibals to harrowing escapes from Antarctic ice.

2. Shadow Divers by Robert Kurson

A first-rate account of some of the best wreck-divers in the world discovering a mysterious U-boat sunk just off the coast of New Jersey and their fascinating attempt to identify it and uncover it's story.

Kurson is a very skilled writer and his depiction of the insanely dangerous and sometimes tragic deep dives down to the wreck had me sweating. I couldn't put it down. Great book that illuminates the extreme culture of hardcore divers and their obsession to risk their lives to find things on the bottom of the ocean. Memorable.

3. Pirate Hunters

Also by Kurson, this one also features famous wreck diver John Chatterton and tells the story of efforts to locate a fortune in Pirate gold and treasure in the Caribbean. Not as pulse-pounding as Shadow Divers, but enjoyable.

Heart Shaped Box - Joe Hill

Fictitious rock star adds to his eclectic death collection with the purchase of a ghost hell bent on retribution. Very good read.

Horns - Joe Hill

Completely independent of HSB. On page one the main character wakes to a massive hangover and budding horns of a demon. I thoroughly enjoyed this book.

Joe Hill by the way is the son of Stephen and Tabitha King. I did not know that prior to picking them up. He's obviously been influenced by his dad. I recommend both.

Heart Shaped Box - Joe Hill

Fictitious rock star adds to his eclectic death collection with the purchase of a ghost hell bent on retribution. Very good read.

Horns - Joe Hill

Completely independent of HSB. On page one the main character wakes to a massive hangover and budding horns of a demon. I thoroughly enjoyed this book.

Joe Hill by the way is the son of Stephen and Tabitha King. I did not know that prior to picking them up. He's obviously been influenced by his dad. I recommend both.

I liked both of those Joe Hill books. I imagine a kid growing up being told bedtime stories every night by Stephen King.

Warning. They made a Horns movie and it is not what I would call good. Probably worth watching if you have read it though. Elijah Wood is the lead.

I am really enjoying SevenEves by Neal Stephenson. It is very hard science fiction dealing with space. It gets very technical and I may be biased because Mary Robinette Kowal does such a good job at narration that the textbook stuff never feels dry.

I'm in the middle of "Hamilton", the bio of Alexander Hamilton, by Ron Chernow.
It's a long read but the amount of detailed research into the mans life by the author is stunning. It paints a rather different picture of many of the American founders, epecially Jefferson. What is most amazing is the similarity of the post-revolution period to the political atmosphere in America today. I can assure you that lying politicians, lack of ethics, fake news, a biased media, and a divided populace are not a recent phenomenon. And Hamilton was certainly a genius, whether or not one agrees with all his actions.

Pick it up... trust me....

What is most amazing is the similarity of the post-revolution period to the political atmosphere in America today. I can assure you that lying politicians, lack of ethics, fake news, a biased media, and a divided populace are not a recent phenomenon. And Hamilton was certainly a genius, whether or not one agrees with all his actions.

Ever was it thus.

Pick it up... trust me....

Ditto. Excellent read.

Cheers, BostonTim

The Bird Box by Josh Malerman

A presence (alien, supernatural, it’s left to the readers imagination) when viewed with human eye causes madness and murder/suicide. The only safe measure it’s learned is to live predominately blindfolded unless in safe secure locations. The human race dwindles rapidly.

Pretty good. Centric on a group in a neighborhood who live communal in one house. Anxiety, a stranger, and madness battles the will to live.

I liked it.

I just finished On Trails by Robert Moor

I'd describe it as an outstanding, sometimes metaphysical book that takes a wide view beginning with a simple, narrow path through the woods and connects it to fossils, insects, animals, Native American game trails and ultimately paths of a spiritual nature, the Interstate Highway system and also the internet.

It's not so much about a walk through the woods (although the book was inspired by the author walking the Appalachian Trail) as it is mankind's walk though history. About trails as evolution.

I found it to be as entertaining and sharply-written as it was thought-provoking.

A book called 'Not Much of An Engineer'

It's about Sir Stanley Hooker who basically took aviation jet engines to the next level. He was instrumental in the Merlin engines that powered the Spitfires during the war, increasing power and ability by 70mph and 10,000 feet. After the war, he went to Rolls Royce and Bristol and was behind several key inventions.

He was a mathematician first and brought that engineering.

A really fascinating read. Many believe he was was a genius, even more so than Brunel.

Taking a break from non fiction and revisiting Bernerd Cornwell's The Warlord series. I'm on book six out of a ten part series.

If you're a fan of historical fiction, check out Cornwell

I downloaded a sample of Sleeping Beauties last night to see how I like it.

I've read a lot of books lately, amongst which are: Sapiens (good), Homo Deus (a bit eh, but still good) and lastly my most glowing recommendation: Red Notice by Bill Browder.

I won't spoil it for you, but it's non fiction and about a hedge fund manager's forays into the Russian equities markets from roughly the mid-nineties and onwards. It's a riveting read and I can't recommend it enough. Someone ought to option it for a motion picture.

Dan Carlin's Hardcore History podcast has a 6 episode series on WW1 that is absolutely incredibly (and free!)

Can not recommend highly enough.

I second this. The podcasts are quite brilliant. He does a really good one on the ethics of bombing and he's really good at making you think.

I've read a lot of books lately, amongst which are: Sapiens (good), Homo Deus (a bit eh, but still good) and lastly my most glowing recommendation: Red Notice by Bill Browder.

I won't spoil it for you, but it's non fiction and about a hedge fund manager's forays into the Russian equities markets from roughly the mid-nineties and onwards. It's a riveting read and I can't recommend it enough. Someone ought to option it for a motion picture.

Also recommend Sapiens. Didn't get to Homo Deus, as by the time it was available at the library I'd moved on to other interests.

Sapiens was a very good read. The author whose name escapes me and I'm too lazy to look up was a guest on Sam Harris' podcast and it's worth the hour and a half of your life.

---------- Post added at 08:37 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:36 AM ----------

I second this. The podcasts are quite brilliant. He does a really good one on the ethics of bombing and he's really good at making you think.

He also has a politics podcast called "Common sense" that's worth a listen although he's been a bit bummed out my recent political events so hasn't released a new episode in awhile.

Dan Carlin is one of my favorite public figures.

Seriously, though. Spend ~$7 or however much the paperback/kindle edition of Red Notice is on Amazon.

As an aside, I emailed the author after finishing the story to give him my opinion on the book and also to let him know that I would be happy to volunteer for his cause and he actually emailed me back saying he'd send me a free signed copy of the book for my library. And while calling my meager collection of books a library, I thought it was a nice gesture.

Lastly, the author of Sapiens and Homo Deus is Yuval Noah Harari

Working my way through M.R. Forbes' Chaos of the Covenant series. On book six now.

Twisted little mix of Sci-Fi and angelology/demonology.

Fiction

The Ritual, by Adam Nevill

Others have already reviewed this, and have said they liked it. I didn’t like it at all, but then again, I’m not a huge fan of the occult (the last time I read something in this genre was when the movie The Exorcist came out back in the 1970s). I didn’t care about any of the characters in this book, and having them struggle through deep forest in the cold rain for page after page got tedious very quickly (but not as tedious as having one character bum a cigarette off another character about 12 times).

The Empire’s Ghost, by Isabel Steiger

A really nice effort for a first novel, however, since it’s the first book of a series, most of the plot lines are left unresolved. Fairly standard swords/sorcery/magic approach, buttressed with very strong female characters. I’ll probably keep an eye out for the next book.

Avengers Of The Moon, by Allen Steele

A throwback to the early days of space opera. Allen Steele has received permission from Edmond Hamilton’s estate to revive the character of Captain Future, and has done a very nice job. He has updated the science (laser-propelled light sails, Alcubierre warp drive, nanotechnology, artificial intelligence), while retaining some of the corn-ball elements. A fun, fast read.

Non-fiction

The Wave, by Susan Casey

Physics, oceanography, weather, surfing – this is basically a story about big-wave surfing, its dangers, and the places where the big-wave riders go to get their thrills. Very competently written, but it will make you think twice before you venture far from shore again.

The Way Of Men, by Jack Donovan

A short book, or a long essay, about what it means to be masculine and why men are the way they are. Basically, Donovan make that case that once the veneer of civilization is stripped away, and day-to-day survival is the only focus, then attributes like strength, courage, reliability, and possession of practical skills are what counts. And men (and women) today still recognize those attributes in other men and those attributes still influence society today (although to a lesser degree than they did a thousand years ago).

those attributes still influence society today (although to a lesser degree than they did a thousand years ago).

And I can personally attest to this. :facepalm:

Cheers, BostonTim

The Wasp Factory by Iain Banks

Disturbing. 16 yr old Scot on an isle that over the course of his adolescence kills members of his family. Told from the mind of the youth. Twist at the end blame ndsides.

Back