What nostalgia have you ruined by revisiting?

Going in the direction of the 'ex-girlfriend' -

Many, many moons ago I had a crush on someone - around 20-25 yrs later I had the opportunity to meet this person again. Afterwards my immediate thought was - 'what in the name of heaven and earth did I see in this idiot (I'll refrain from a stronger word of course) ?' Made me realize at the time, and still, thank heavens that some things that we think we want we don't get. The memory was ruined yes, but thank God that it was !

Gina

bideau's old girlfriend thing kinda resonates (It was at a class re-union). Except I'm pretty sure it was HER nostalgia that got ruined. :coffee:

Cheers, BostonTim

i know when i watch a clip of the 86 celtics i feel pretty freaking good about the old times, then some assclown plays buckners hobbling after a ball abd i feel pretty shitty

Stanley didn't cover the bag. Even if Buckner fields it clean Wilson still beats it out.

Bought a six pack of Old Milwaukee :Eason: . For some reason this tasted good when I was a poor teenager. Should have left that memory alone.

You guys are experiencing nostalgia wrong. It isn't the 'thing' which is nostalgic, it's the emotional reaction triggered when remembering or reliving the'thing', even if its impact falls short of the visceral past experience.

Context is everything.

Nostalgia certainly isn't what it used to be :coffee:

i know when i watch a clip of the 86 celtics i feel pretty freaking good about the old times, then some assclown plays buckners hobbling after a ball abd i feel pretty shitty

After the Sox won in 2004, Buckner became ok nostalgia for me - brings back good memories of where I was and the people I was with at the time and the surreal sports fan experience that that was. I'd missed Dave Henderson's home run off Donnie Moore that let them make it to the series because I'd gotten pissed off and left and missed Larry Bird stealing Isaiah Thomas' in-bounds the next year for the same reason, so now I always hang in until the end in big games.

You guys are experiencing nostalgia wrong. It isn't the 'thing' which is nostalgic, it's the emotional reaction triggered when remembering or reliving the'thing', even if its impact falls short of the visceral past experience.

Context is everything.

Yes, that is very true.

I recently spent an hour or so poking around Youtube watching clips from kids TV shows that were popular in the Boston area in the 60's.

As great a guy as Rex Trailer was, the actual Boomtown show was pretty bad. Same thing with Major Mudd. They just made shit up as they went along with little to no script. I also discovered that Miss Jean (Romper Room) was not really as hot as I remembered.

I was awash in nostalgia watching some of this stuff, but, appropos of nothing, I heard a great story from the man himself that anybody that watched TV in that era will appreciate.

Rex Trailer was quite a multi-talented guy and in addition to his rope tricks, being an ace horse rider and musician he was also a helicopter pilot. So, one day he flies down to Providence and picks up Bozo the Clown (both of them in full costume) to go to a gig in Massachusetts.

They land at the event in a recently-plowed field and when it was over they take off and are flying along and Rex realizes he's got dirt in his engine and he has to make an emergency landing. He sees a big farm that looks like a good spot and sets the copter down safely. Then the door of the farmhouse opens and a big bunch of kids run out of the house to see that their TV idols have just magically appeared out of the sky in a helicopter and are HERE FOR THEM!!!!

YAAAAAYYY!!!!!

I loved hearing that story.

Yes, that is very true.

I recently spent an hour or so poking around Youtube watching clips from kids TV shows that were popular in the Boston area in the 60's.

As great a guy as Rex Trailer was, the actual Boomtown show was pretty bad. Same thing with Major Mudd. They just made shit up as they went along with little to no script. I also discovered that Miss Jean (Romper Room) was not really as hot as I remembered.

I was awash in nostalgia watching some of this stuff, but, appropos of nothing, I heard a great story from the man himself that anybody that watched TV in that era will appreciate.

Rex Trailer was quite a multi-talented guy and in addition to his rope tricks, being an ace horse rider and musician he was also a helicopter pilot. So, one day he flies down to Providence and picks up Bozo the Clown (both of them in full costume) to go to a gig in Massachusetts.

They land at the event in a recently-plowed field and when it was over they take off and are flying along and Rex realizes he's got dirt in his engine and he has to make an emergency landing. He sees a big farm that looks like a good spot and sets the copter down safely. Then the door of the farmhouse opens and a big bunch of kids run out of the house to see that their TV idols have just magically appeared out of the sky in a helicopter and are HERE FOR THEM!!!!

YAAAAAYYY!!!!!

I loved hearing that story.

OMG, is that Willie Whistle on the right....

Can't imagine him getting more annoying with age......

OMG, is that Willie Whistle on the right....

Can't imagine him getting more annoying with age......

Hell, yes. I couldn't stand WW.

That is quite a picture, though. I think it says something about how much the world has changed since I was a kid.

I don't even know what kid's TV is like these days, but my generation grew up watching an awful lot of these people and their simple, goofy, harmless shows. There weren't a lot of character-shaping messages being pounded into our heads back in them days, except, perhaps, Miss Jean reminding us not to play with matches and possibly set ourselves or our families on fire.

I don't know why exactly, but I have a lot of love for those shows. I remember an amazing amount of detail from them. I'm sure I was influenced by all of them except Willie Whistle who can go eat a bag of dicks.

I heard another Rex Trailer story recently about a kid from my neighborhood that went to see Rex on stage at some local fair. The kid was about 5 or 6 at the time and he was brought up on stage and Rex popped a cigarette in his mouth and then snapped it in half with a bullwhip. I guess maybe that was a message of sorts, but that would never happen today for a variety of reasons.

Rex Trailer was a can't miss show, on the old black and white TV. I ran into him on the sidewalk in Waltham one day probably 15 years ago, he had an office for his production company right in a storefront on Main St. A very amiable and open guy to talk with. I told him how much I enjoyed him when I was a kid and he was very gracious.

Stanley didn't cover the bag. Even if Buckner fields it clean Wilson still beats it out.

I think Knight would have stopped at third though if Buckner fielded it cleanly.

Who knows? I never blamed Buckner. He had a great season. One of the reasons they were even in the WS in the first place.

I think Knight would have stopped at third though if Buckner fielded it cleanly.

Who knows? I never blamed Buckner. He had a great season. One of the reasons they were even in the WS in the first place.

My only issue was McNamara's stupid response when asked why he didn't go to Stapleton late for defense like he had been doing all year- because he wanted Buckner to be able to be on the field when they won. Maybe it's just me, but I'm pretty sure he could have hobbled out there after the last out was recorded.

Back