What?s worse expanded playoffs or 18 game season?

2 game preseason, 18 games no expanded playoffs. I hate the idea of lightning strike wildcard games, putting a .500 or worse team in the division round

What does everyone think those last 2 reg season games are gonna look like when there’s a 3+ division lead?

Ah, yeah. Pre-season games.

As it is Week 16 is typically a wash.

3 preseason games is enough for coaches to evaluate the healthy players. The 4th preseason game has been scrubbed by teams for years - it's a throwaway game for future Uber drivers and everyone knows it.
BB learned long ago that scrimmages against other teams are more valuable for player evaluation than the game itself in preseason. I've heard some owners want joint practices gone.

What about a compromise?

To start the discussion I'd propose:
-a 3 game preseason,
-joint practices are ok,
-a 17 game season,
-a 60 man roster (or thereabouts) with a 53 player game day restriction,
-IR'ed players verified by an independent Dr. (no stashing),
-unlimited IR'ed players can return once healed (verified),
-an extra bye week,
-no expansion of the playoffs and
-each team plays 1 game on a neutral site.

The networks, owners & fans get an extra real game, the networks pay for the extra real game, the players get an extra week of real game pay, and an extra week of healing, the season is stretched a year, more players get a payday and the neutral site enlarges the NFL's sphere - everybody's happy in my mind. Let's talk.

On expanding the playoffs - I can't think of a time when the right teams weren't included already. This idea is a money grab, plain and simple to me but I could be talked into it since I love watching the game. I wouldn't take a hard stand against it.

The whole thing is a money grab.

They’ve got the optimum setup now if they’d just get rid of Thursday’s.

Mark Cuban was 100% right.

The decision might come down to new markets and what demographic the NFL wants to go after. I like Chevss proposal a lot, the neutral site think gives the NFL flexibility to test new US and foreign markets.

I think the bottom line though might come down to the gambling community. Fantasy football would benefit more from a longer regular season than from an expanded playoffs. But gamblers might prefer waging money on playoff games where teams are not likely to sandbag.

I hope nothing changes, but follow the source of the money, and that's the changes that will come.

3 preseason games is enough for coaches to evaluate the healthy players. The 4th preseason game has been scrubbed by teams for years - it's a throwaway game for future Uber drivers and everyone knows it.
BB learned long ago that scrimmages against other teams are more valuable for player evaluation than the game itself in preseason. I've heard some owners want joint practices gone.

What about a compromise?

To start the discussion I'd propose:
-a 3 game preseason,
-joint practices are ok,
-a 17 game season,
-a 60 man roster (or thereabouts) with a 53 player game day restriction,
-IR'ed players verified by an independent Dr. (no stashing),
-unlimited IR'ed players can return once healed (verified),
-an extra bye week,
-no expansion of the playoffs and
-each team plays 1 game on a neutral site.

The networks, owners & fans get an extra real game, the networks pay for the extra real game, the players get an extra week of real game pay, and an extra week of healing, the season is stretched a year, more players get a payday and the neutral site enlarges the NFL's sphere - everybody's happy in my mind. Let's talk.

On expanding the playoffs - I can't think of a time when the right teams weren't included already. This idea is a money grab, plain and simple to me but I could be talked into it since I love watching the game. I wouldn't take a hard stand against it.

Interesting ideas, but I can't see the 1 extra week at a neutral site working. Unless there's a financial incentive for each owner, they will not want to give up a "home" game. The league will need to find enough venues to host 16 games, not an overly easy task. I can also see a new set of scheduling issues from who the extra opponent will be to how to get both teams to a neutral site without creating travel havoc.

Th extra bye week adds 1 more week to an already long season. Unless the league is willing to go back to starting on Labor Day weekend (they used in the recent past), we'll be pushing the season into mid-February.

I like the expanded roster and modified IR rules.

I guess for me, the bottom line is why mess with something that is already working very well, then I remind myself we're talking about the NFL.

I don't like either. Football is already a game where attrition plays a big part. 18 games is likely to add to that a bit. I don't like watering play-offs at all. I want the best teams represented in the play-offs without any also-rans. I expect cutting a preseason game and adding a couple games to the season would be OK with me if it came to that.

I think there has to be a rule in the book about this.

Then they're going to have to put a 'stupid' computer chip in his head lol. Maybe it's already there, but it activates only once or twice every 2-3 years, as opposed to most qb's, where it seems to activate 3-4 times/game.

Interesting ideas, but I can't see the 1 extra week at a neutral site working. Unless there's a financial incentive for each owner, they will not want to give up a "home" game. The league will need to find enough venues to host 16 games, not an overly easy task. I can also see a new set of scheduling issues from who the extra opponent will be to how to get both teams to a neutral site without creating travel havoc.

Th extra bye week adds 1 more week to an already long season. Unless the league is willing to go back to starting on Labor Day weekend (they used in the recent past), we'll be pushing the season into mid-February.

I like the expanded roster and modified IR rules.

I guess for me, the bottom line is why mess with something that is already working very well, then I remind myself we're talking about the NFL.

The league wants to expand it's market sphere. The league already has games in England and Mexico. A few other European countries, depending on the league's data, could be added. If it works, the league could eventually (50 years?) sell franchises for a European Football League and their winner could play the NFL winner for a true World Champion. I'd like that better than our teams playing over there as they are now.

You're kidding, right? The NFL would love to expand the season. They've done it successfully with the draft and TCamps (Hard Knocks) and the NFL Network. Besides the extra bye helps the players heal. Fans would love it too. Win/win/win.

So, this means what? The Super Bowl ends up being the Sunday before MLB's Opening Day?

The league wants to expand it's market sphere. The league already has games in England and Mexico. A few other European countries, depending on the league's data, could be added. If it works, the league could eventually (50 years?) sell franchises for a European Football League and their winner could play the NFL winner for a true World Champion. I'd like that better than our teams playing over there as they are now.

You're kidding, right? The NFL would love to expand the season. They've done it successfully with the draft and TCamps (Hard Knocks) and the NFL Network. Besides the extra bye helps the players heal. Fans would love it too. Win/win/win.

Maybe I’m in the minority but I don’t go “Ooh! A bye week! If only I had another!”

Maybe I’m in the minority but I don’t go “Ooh! A bye week! If only I had another!”

The saddest weekend of the football season is the first weekend without football. I want it to last as long as possible. Maybe that's just me.

The saddest weekend of the football season is the first weekend without football. I want it to last as long as possible. Maybe that's just me.

Yes, I agree, that is a very tough weekend. But at some point, I do start to burn out and I have to give Sundays back to my wife. She's a saint when it comes to my obsession, but even a saint has limits. In fact, we'll be leaving on a cruise the day of Game 3 and she knows and fully supports that we will head for the bar with TV's to watch the game, and get fully started on vacation as soon as the game ends.

They best not be interfering with mah Winstons Cup racing!

I will not abide an 18 game season with players only able to play 16 games.

Nix on both proposals. You've got near-perfection now. Why would you want to become the NBA and NHL with endless seasons and playoffs that let everybody in?

Man, the NFL owners will kill the golden goose someday. Greed, Jerry, greed!

At the expense of an 18 game season?

---------- Post added at 05:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:44 PM ----------

I will not abide an 18 game season with players only able to play 16 games.

The is the most stupid shit I have ever heard. Yeah fans want to see backups playing in regular season games that's for sure.

I hate both but

18 game schedule. 2 preseason games in three weeks with joint practice weeks before and after 1st PS game.

Remove the face mask and you remove the violent head shot

Back