What's the dumbest thing you've ever spent money on?

I honestly can't think of the dumbest thing I've ever bought. I really like everything I buy, whether it's frivolous or not. My boat, yes, big huge black hole that you keep dumping money into, but I enjoyed every minute that I was out on it. Every motorcycle I've ever bought I've dumped huge money into after-market stuff, custom paint, whatever, but I love everything I do to them. I've spent stupid money on things like custom leather jackets for a grand or more, but I love them. Other people might think it's dumb, but if you enjoy something, even if it's for a fleeting time, it's worth it, don't you think?

Life is too short. And it's definitely too short to have regrets over spending on something that doesn't make sense now but did at the time. If you get any moment of joy from something, it was worth it.

This link here shows completed eBay listings for the Force of Will. Looks to be around $75. You might have multiple copies since it was common.
http://tinyurl.com/jbpyflp

See how sweet that is? Maybe it wasn't the dumbest thing you spent your money on? :)
Thanks for the info and making me look. I'll have to go through them some time. Have one binder with the never played single copy Dark cards, then another binder of never played cards that had that one and others from different sets. Couldn't really figure out what the ordering was, but I am sure it made sense 20 years ago (amazing to think it has been that long), and then there are 2 or 3 of those long card boxes that are just full of cards with no order. Think those were played with and are the ones that were given. Hundreds, maybe thousands of cards, don't know how many those card boxes hold.

Anyway, thanks again. It will be a big project at some point. Probably have to do a spreadsheet or something.

Sent from my Enigma Device

I bought a car off my sister. She was in financial trouble, the car was going to get repo'd, and my wife was expecting our second kid, and needed a better car than what she had. So I went to the bank, paid off sisters loan, got the title and away I went with the car.

That thing was the biggest PIECE OF SHIT in history. 1991 Plymouth Sundance. That did not stop me however from giving it to my father in law down the road.

I was in in Washington DC to see Nine Inch Nails with my girlfriend. And on the way out we were at Union Station and I went into a chocolate shop and saw the price was $15 so I bought a pound. Unfortunately that was for a quarter pound. So when the the cashier brought it to me and said 60 bucks I bucks I was so embarrassed I paid for it.

It was damned good chocolate though.

I was in in Washington DC to see Nine Inch Nails with my girlfriend. And on the way out we were at Union Station and I went into a chocolate shop and saw the price was $15 so I bought a pound. Unfortunately that was for a quarter pound. So when the the cashier brought it to me and said 60 bucks I bucks I was so embarrassed I paid for it.

It was damned good chocolate though.

And you saw NIN, so all in all a good night!

My first property which I overpaid for dearly, both in repair costs as well as 18% mortgage rate.

I paid a significant premium to be one of the first to own a Sony CD player when they finally hit the North American market. It took me about 3 months before I could buy any CD's for it. Then the optical sled went kaput and it was 6 months in Japan getting fixed. When I got it back, I sold it (for a tenth of what I paid for it) within a month's time.

Another poor purchase was a pair of loudspeakers that cost me more than a new corvette did at the time. Like the corvette, it depreciated significantly before it was even broken in. Unlike the CD player, I did actually derive enjoyment out of the speakers.

I paid over a grand for a breeding pair of royal blue discus fish that I planned to breed. They never did breed but looked beautiful.

Bob Dylan Tickets - he was a freaking mess, the crowd was tripping and I was disappointed. The Alarm opened.

Truthfully, I really think I only bought a few "foolish" things in my life, but I bought a boat, sold it a year later for same money I paid plus the ate the storage/winterize game/shrink wrap.

As for cars, I bought only one I regret but I learned a lesson and never bought a car new again without better research - I was about to turn 19 - it was not a real bad deal but if I listened to my father and bought where he sent me I would have done a lot better. I think that experience scared me into asking questions. A mustang convertible would have sweet but I was not letting "him" help me.

My Madza CX-7. It has been a money pit. Since the dealership . lied to me about it . I had to spend 1,500 in repairs 2 weeks after I brought it.

Living near some good back woods in FL, the husband and I thought it would be fun to build a off road mud truck (were kinda redneck-ish). Bought 2 of em, the first one was okay but we could never get the engine to run properly. Turns out we suck at working on engines.. And the second one I bought because it was cheap and I thought even if we did nothing with it I could sell it for a profit. Ended up losing money on both of them.

Never again, we'll stick to our boats.

Internet access on the Delta flight I was on a week ago Sunday.

Thought I'd be able to stream the game on CBSSports.com.

Didn't work, so I checked the speed.

0.34 mbps

By the time I got to Minneapolis it was the 4th Qtr.

I'm in Lisa's camp. I really can't think of any regrets. The wife and I are fairly calculating with our purchases. But even when we've spent on a whim, we've enjoyed what we bought. Life is short and I have no plans to leave any money behind, meager as it may be.

I'm in Lisa's camp. I really can't think of any regrets. The wife and I are fairly calculating with our purchases. But even when we've spent on a whim, we've enjoyed what we bought. Life is short and I have no plans to leave any money behind, meager as it may be.

Me either, life is too short.

I didn't buy one, but I know someone who did.

So, my answer is a Pet Rock.

It still amazes me that a man became a millionaire by painting eyeballs on and putting a leash around a rock.

Just wish I had thought of it first.

I probably have something dumber than this, but the first thing that popped into my head was a box and a half of Magic: The Gathering cards in the mid-90s. I was convinced I could make a killing by buying in bulk and selling a complete set or something. I think it ended up being 4 cards short of complete. Anyway, never bothered selling any. Still have them in a box somewhere, might be worth something, but I shouldn't have spent that money at the time.
I have Magic cards from that time that are worth hundreds, and a few in the thousands. In mint condition, too.

Back