Which Ref Is The Worst In The NFL?

Matt Chatham
@chatham58

Short story, it’s stupid not to focus on it. Yeah, teams shouldn’t, players shouldn’t. But the business of covering the NFL should be hyper-focused on how this multi-billion dollar industry keeps offering inferior, more obtrusive officiating than your average high school game.

---------- Post added at 10:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:33 PM ----------

https://mobile.twitter.com/chatham58

Lots of good POV there by him...

All of them. It's just disgusting how utterly incompetent they are. That doesn't just go for this game, but for almost every game I see, regardless of teams playing. At some point the refs make a colossal fuck up of a call and even when a blind/deaf/dumb person can see it on the replay, the refs STILL won't change their shit ass calls. Holy fuck I can't think of another sport where the officiating is so utterly abject. NFL officiating is a complete failure through and through.

And perhaps the other side of the same coin... the rules now are just insane. The NFL is waaaaay too focused on safety to the point that it's ruining the game. It's not even legit football anymore. I wouldn't be surprised if in a few decades the NFL becomes full on flag football or some other nonsense and completely bans tackling of any kind outright.

God damn, I miss real football of the 70s/80s/90s.

:cuss: :cuss: :cuss:

I usually do not bash refs or whatever. I mean we all have way better views than they do. I also do not ever say, this team lost because the refs. There were some bad calls, and calls that really were not hard calls to make. So, that is not good and its not good for football, but those are not the only bad calls I have seen. I don't even know what PI is anymore or when they decide to call it or not. I think refs get more attention now than ever, but not sure they are any better or worse than past years, I just think it gets more attention now nationally.

I don’t post often but when I really need to express my opinion

By far Jerome “Booger” is the absolute worst referee in the NFL. He has to be!

Btw a few people pointed out that the last New England loss at home he was calling that game or something like that was against the panthers, ya guess what it ended on a bad non call as well that was when Luke “queefy” literally bear hugged gronk in the back of the end zone

From Football Zebras -
http://www.footballzebras.com/2019/...es-casts-a-shadow-over-chiefs-patriots-clash/
Boger’s crew with several misfires casts a shadow over Chiefs-Patriots clash

Rarely, a crew’s performance will illicit this harsh criticism from our platform, but in the case of the Chiefs-Patriots game on Sunday afternoon, an overall performance by the officiating crew has left a blemish on the game that is inherently unavoidable in our sphere, as Jerome Boger’s crew will inevitably be the talk of this game in the coming days. While all errors in officiating technically have equal weight, there are some that took place in Foxboro on Sunday that definitely had some extra influence on the game’s final outcome. As a student of officiating, and as an official myself, the term “influence on the game’s final outcome” is something that no official, at any level, wants to be a part of. However, when it happens, it must be talked about. Several key misfires plagued the crew on Sunday

1. [talks about Harry not out of bounds - should never happen]

I totally missed this next one and haven't seen it talked about.
2. Midway through the 3rd period Chiefs offensive guard Laurent Duvernay-Tardif was correctly penalized for an illegal use of hands foul, but instead of marking off a 10 yard penalty, the crew only penalized Kansas City five yards. Often, referees will misspeak over the microphone and give the wrong penalty yardage, but here, the 2nd and 10 turned into a 2nd and 15, when it should have been 2nd and 20. Any member of the crew is responsible for shutting the play down in this scenario to inform the referee of the enforcement error. Since this did not happen, all seven members of the crew will be held accountable for the improper penalty enforcement.

3. fumble return for a TD negated by an early whistle.
and more including one play that was officiated in a sloppy unprofessional manner which I haven't seen mentioned anywhere.

After a little cousin eddy nosing around here's what I came up with on the single worst official from Pats-Chiefs.

Down Judge Patrick Holt, the guy who said Harry went out of bounds, didn't call DPI for Dorsett & blew Kelce's fumble dead, has some astonishingly bad officiating in his background. Going back just 1 year, Holt changed the outcome of the Big Ten Title game in 2018 with a major miss of a hold on his keyed receiver at the end of the game because he was ball watching. If he was on his key he would have had a flag for DH which would have offset the OH call on the play, which would have allowed Wisconsin to stay in FG range and potentially win the game. So what do the powers that be do? Reward Holt with the National Title game between Georgia and Bama. He had several major missed calls (blocked punt in the first qtr should have not occurred as there was a FST (false start) he missed; he missed a FMM (Face mask); and at the end of the game on Bama’s winning TD score, he failed to call a FST that potentially changed the outcome. So Holt has a known background of bad officiating that has potentially changed outcomes of games. Even so, the NFL rewarded him with a job in the NFL. Big mistake. Week 2 he was in the incorrect position at end of game, Carolina had 4th and 1 at the 2 in final minute. Holt missed McCafferty putting the ball past the LTG mark for a first down at the 1. He ruled him short of the LTG and that was it for the Panthers who couldn't force a review. Replay showed McCafferty made the 1st down. Now this fiasco tonight in NE. His IW (Inappropriate whistle) called back a Pats TD;he mistook the runner OOB which cost Pats a TD; he missed a huge DPI at end of game which would have given Pats a first down inside the ten at the end of the game. Just more terrible officiating by an NFL official who should never have been hired.

Don't expect Al Riveron to fix any of this because fixing it would embarrass Goodell and the entire NFL hierarchy. It's pretty much the same situation as why PI calls are 95% left as called after challenges - the NFL Officials Union (and Riveron backs them) feels threatened and embarrassed by video cameras and booth review that they feel have unfair advantages of positioning and slow motion when calling a game. Getting it right is important but not at the expense of embarrassing a referee.

My opinion.
Bullshit. Get over it.
Officials should know by now that fans realize humans make mistakes all the time. Get it right means just that. Build it into their NFL contracts if necessary. While at it, how about making any play not clearly seen by officials on the ground open for discussion with an 8th official in the booth who has replay available immediately but who has no authority other than to give the field officials his opinion when they ask for it. This wouldn't affect existing booth review protocols.

I can understand, but not necessarily forgive, a person who simply fucks one or two up. Humans make mistakes.

What is really sickening is how the new rule allowing non-call reviews is being deliberately mis-managed.

Time after time an obvious and clear instance of DPI which was not called on the field is reviewed and the non-call is upheld just to make the league look better. There is nothing to see here, just watch another batch of commercials and shut the fuck up.

That comes from the top. That is Roger himself saying "I don't care whether it is a foul -- we only give a shit about game-changing calls in playoff games so we don't look like corrupt idiots". And in the process that is exactly what becomes more obvious by the week.

I pretty much hate the NFL now.

I can understand, but not necessarily forgive, a person who simply fucks one or two up. Humans make mistakes.

What is really sickening is how the new rule allowing non-call reviews is being deliberately mis-managed.

Time after time an obvious and clear instance of DPI which was not called on the field is reviewed and the non-call is upheld just to make the league look better. There is nothing to see here, just watch another batch of commercials and shut the fuck up.

That comes from the top. That is Roger himself saying "I don't care whether it is a foul -- we only give a shit about game-changing calls in playoff games so we don't look like corrupt idiots". And in the process that is exactly what becomes more obvious by the week.

I pretty much hate the NFL now.

I'm told the reviews have morphed into "clear and obvious PI" because the refs themselves complained loudly to Al Riveron that they don't want to be embarrassed to the point where 8-10 threatened to quit and even more threatened to stop making PI calls altogether. "It is embarrassing" they said in a united stand. Al Riveron makes the decisions and he is the one who has made non-call reversals into something it was never intended to be...almost impossible. Sean Payton said a couple of weeks ago "This is not what we voted on at the league meetings". Too bad Dean Blandino quit after setting up the review system. He would have stood up to the refs. Riveron is a spineless sap.

I just don't understand why they can't change their calls after the fact without a challenge, especially when it's blatantly obvious they fucked up via replay? Surely they can see it too? But yet they never change it and make it right. Why? That's some horseshit.

Perhaps there should be a "Replay Ref" who's sole job is to watch replays and look for missed calls and bad calls. That way things are more fair and right down the middle for everyone.

Also, I think refs should be fined for making bad calls. Perhaps start at $1000 per verified bad call, per game. That way it adds up and they'll be less likely to throw flags willy nilly or make egregious calls in general.

Back