Who's the Worst Commentator on TV?

spiderman

Reaction score
...of any sport.

For football, I would have to say Dan Dierdorf.

Football I'd have to go with either Phil Simms... I can only hear, "That receiver was wide open, he should have had that." a max of 10 times before I start screaming at the TV. Especially when the friggin receiver is in triple coverage and the pass is underthrown.

Phil, newsflash, sometimes it actually IS the QB's fault!!!!!!!! AGGGHHHHH!!!!!!!!!

Or

Joe Theismann.... If I wanted to listen to a Brett Favre or Michael Vick love fest I'd listen to Packers or Falcon's live feed!!!!!!!!!

Having favorites is one thing but having to listen to 3 hours of how the QB screwing up a play wasn't actually his fault but everyone's from the WR, the OL, right down to the waterboy and the beer vendor....AGGGHHH!!!! :banghead: Just, please, :STFU:

Oooohh...Tough One...I can't pick one so here's a couple I can't stand:

Dick Vitale
Bill Walton

Dale Arnold- NESN Hockey

I know he's the play by play guy, but offers way more than the play by play. I don't need some putz telling me that this pass was "stupid" or that plpay was "awful". I can figure that crap out on my own. Let Brick do the commenting, and stick to the game call.

Has he ever played hockey?? Man, if he did, I'd love to line up against him.

collinsworth,madden,theisman,marv "yes"albert,every yankee announcer to have ever lived:D ,Phil Simms ....... they all make me want to poke my eardrums out with a toothpick :banghead:

Annihilus said:
Oooohh...Tough One...I can't pick one so here's a couple I can't stand:

Dick Vitale
Bill Walton

Ah Yes, Bill Walton. I literally cannot listen to this man speak without having a siezure.

I have to agree with the Madden call. He falls in love with guys over the years, and he think their great forever. One time a few years back he was saying how great Mike Alstott was after a 1 yard TD run late in a game, and the guy had fumbled twice and had like 25 yards the whole game! There's a whole list of guys, like, Emmitt Smith, Nate Newton, who he goes on and on and on about, who may have been good once, but not anymore.

And don't forget Michael Irvin's performance at the draft.

And Tom Jackson. Yeesh.

I think a good announcer thread would be shorter.

Agreed. Remy and McDonough together are great. I thought I heard that McDonough may be doing NFL games at some point. I like him on the college broadcasts.

For football, Randy Cross is worse than any of them. He's had some really insipid comments. I've heard he's doing the Patriots pre-season games, and I just might be glad I don't get them... :p

You should watch Canadian coverage of ANY sporting event. We must not have any good broadcasting schools up here...there are very few really good announcers. Some of the worst include:

* Greg Millen (Ottawa Senators color commentator - with the game tied and the Sens going on a powerplay, his analysis was "this is a critical stage in the game")
* Brian Williams (the CBC's jack-of-all-trades guy in the same vein as Bob Costas - unfortunately, he doesn't have a way with words like Costas. Olympic time in Canada always turns into a Brian Williams bash fest. Also note this is not the same Brian Williams from NBC News)
* Harry Neale (who is to the Maple Leafs what John Madden is to the Packers)
* any Toronto Blue Jays broadcaster since the WS years

JPK

I can't stand Chris Collingsworth. Most ex-NFL guys seem to at least bring a lot of their past experiences to the commentator's desk. He brings that goofy looking head of his!

Somebody mentioned Dale Arnold.... Not that I get to watch the B's regularly anymore but I sure miss old Fred Cusick and Derek Sanderson with his far out whacky comments.

Joe Morgan doing Baseball for ESPN is the worst one I can think of.

I don't think he's watching the same game I am.

I only watch NFL football so I can't weigh in on other sports broadcasters, but to me Al Michaels is the spawn of Satan.

Close runners-up are Theismann, Collinsworth and Phil Simms.

And Pat Summerall - okay, you're one of the legends, you were great. Now RETIRE already!!!

Joe F*CKING Thiesman can suck my f*cking balls! I hate listening to him and that other moron durring the Sunday night games!

In fact, I have stopped listening to the people who do teh Patriots games on TV all together. No matter what, they only say what the NFL wants them say, or what will not get them in to much trouble. When teh Patriots come on the TV goes on mute and WBCN with Geno and Gill go right on the Surround Sound. The girlfriend does not like it much but f*ck it, IT'S FOOTBALL SEASON MOTHERF*CKERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

cadmonkey said:
In fact, I have stopped listening to the people who do teh Patriots games on TV all together. No matter what, they only say what the NFL wants them say, or what will not get them in to much trouble. When teh Patriots come on the TV goes on mute and WBCN with Geno and Gill go right on the Surround Sound.

Couldn't agree more. Gino and Gil are hands down the best, so much so that I'd rather listen to the game in my car than watch the game on CBS with those morons. :banghead: Did you figure out a way around the tv delay, or do you just learn to live with it?

The delay is even worse with an HD broadcast. But having seen football in HD, I am willing to listen to the nimrods in the booth. That picture is amazing.

Don't forget McCarver, that Yankee lover. It was great when he was screaming about Pedro throwing Zim down, and Buck correctly mentioning that Pedro was only defending himself and had no choice in the matter. I gained a lot of respect for Buck that day, although I though his father was overrated. Sorry about being a little off topic.

maelli said:
Couldn't agree more. Gino and Gil are hands down the best, so much so that I'd rather listen to the game in my car than watch the game on CBS with those morons. :banghead: Did you figure out a way around the tv delay, or do you just learn to live with it?

I've learned to deal with it. It gets to the point half way through the game that it starts to seem normal. It really freaks people out the first time they see it happen though, it's all part of the fun :thumb:

Back