Why is there a rule against texting on the sidelines?

Because the NFL doesnt have its own cell phone network to promote :shrug_n:

Or why it matters exactly how much a ball is inflated, rather than letting players play with the balls they want (wait, that didn't come out right...)

I don't know why texting specifically is illegal, but there are very set-in-stone rules governing how the people in the booths up above can communicate with the sidelines down below.

Believe me, it is not a laissez-faire system. You know those new Microsoft Surface tablets everyone uses now? Those aren't actually Surface tablets that you and I buy in the store. They are made specifically for the NFL and allow only certain activities and certainly types of communications. You can't exactly surf the web on one of those NFL tablets.

The texts that I get many times...I have to ask what the texts even mean...texts aren't exactly beneficial info...unless they have hot babe pics included.

Someone could overhear strategy from the coaches in the booths or discussions along the sidelines and make use of texting or other means to convey that info.

There have been instances of the chain crew being wired up to relay info to the home team coaches staffs in high school. The rule is it that spirit.

I think the rules were set up regarding how technology could be used as it was introduced years ago to prevent shenanigans. I don't think that texting specifically is banned but it does fall outside approved methods of communication.

I don't know why texting specifically is illegal, but there are very set-in-stone rules governing how the people in the booths up above can communicate with the sidelines down below.

Believe me, it is not a laissez-faire system. You know those new Microsoft Surface tablets everyone uses now? Those aren't actually Surface tablets that you and I buy in the store. They are made specifically for the NFL and allow only certain activities and certainly types of communications. You can't exactly surf the web on one of those NFL tablets.

The rules are quite precise, but I can't find the details right now.

However, consider the following.

You can see those carts with a bunch of princess phones on them. Those are for communications with the coaches booth.

Prior to the tablets, the only way any images from the booth could be sent down to the field, is to print out the still photos and put them in an notebook. You can still see plenty of QB's and OC's/QB coaches going over these notebooks and discussing what formation the defense was in on any given play.

How could "texting" be a big deal?

Hell with a smart phone you can send a whole lot more than what the existing system does.

Assuming the tablets are simply a different way to display the still photo's you could use a smart phone to send a video, or any other kind of data file.

Because if you are texting, you are no looking where you are going and could bump into someone and cause serious injury.

Or, you could step on the ball bag and deflate the balls. All of these are serious conditions and should be punished by the loss of draft picks.

Because if you are texting, you are no looking where you are going and could bump into someone and cause serious injury.

Or, you could step on the ball bag and deflate the balls. All of these are serious conditions and should be punished by the loss of draft picks.

Great points.

My thought was that somebody could theoretically pirate the digits and start texting away. At least with a voice there is some security in recognizing that voice and while a fake texter probably wouldn't fool anybody, it is possible that any idiot could text "Run it again. Same play." and get away with it and somebody on the other side might actually know the play calls in many instances.

Of course, the Patriots would be those smart pirates and get caught and lots of folks would get upset at us, which hurts my feelings.

Because if you are texting, you are no looking where you are going and could bump into someone and cause serious injury. Or, you could step on the ball bag and deflate the balls. All of these are serious conditions and should be punished by the loss of draft picks.

So it's a player safety issue AND a game integrity issue!

Everyone knows it is illegal to (run an offensive or defensive) drive while texting :cuss:

Back