Why the Patriots have the best short-pass game in the NFL

O_P_T

Why Be Normal
Reaction score
Great article at PFF

this might be mentione in one of the other megathreads, but I thought it was worth it's own.

definitely worth a click since it has some GIF's to illustrate the ideas.

Some highlights.

The Patriots hoarding of slot receivers has become a joke of sorts throughout the NFL, but when you look at the results, it’s Bill Belichick who’s laughing. On passes thrown within 2.2 seconds of the snap a year ago that weren’t screens (40.9 percent of attempts league-wide), Brady led all quarterbacks in completions (226), attempts (332), and yards (2,407 — first in the league by more than 500) while he was second in touchdowns (20) and only threw three picks. He did all that while still maintaining the seventh-best yards per attempt on those throws in the NFL (7.25). The statistics are mind-boggling.

Passes Thrown Within 2.2 Seconds of Snap

Stat With Motion Without Motion
Completions 125 101
Attempts 170 162
Yards 1398 1009
Y/A 8.22 6.23
TD 13 7
QB Rating 118.2 91.8

Brady led the league in every single one of those statistical categories with motion – even yards per attempt. It’s as if the Patriots are playing a completely different game than everyone else, and it’s amazing to watch. It’s scary to think that with the addition of Martellus Bennett and return of Dion Lewis, New England’s offense could get even better — and quicker — in 2016.

Great stuff. I'm also excited to see what Chris Hogan can do.

Great read! It is stunning to think that Brady actually gets criticized for throwing short by most football talking heads because his YPA is low. Yet the Pats have been a top 3 offense now for the past 10 years.

I have to be honest. I would like it better if Brady did not have to throw in 2 seconds. I think a lot of this is out of need lately. I know they are capable to make it work, but having time and getting off some long seam passes are good as well. Then again when your team throws a ton, you are pretty much telling the D you are throwing, which makes it pretty tough on the line who for the most part like to run block more than pass block.

I have to be honest. I would like it better if Brady did not have to throw in 2 seconds. I think a lot of this is out of need lately. I know they are capable to make it work, but having time and getting off some long seam passes are good as well. Then again when your team throws a ton, you are pretty much telling the D you are throwing, which makes it pretty tough on the line who for the most part like to run block more than pass block.

I would settle for a legit RB to run between the tackles. Someone Brady can play action to and actually have the defense respect. Someone who could pound the rock in the second half when we are up 2-3 scores so Brady can avoid further unnecessary hits as well as our receivers who take a pounding.

I do think Hogan, Bennett and Derby will change the passing game. All three of these guys can push the game downfield while still having Gronk Edelman, Amendola, and whoever is in the backfield doing the same kind of things they have been doing. It will be harder for a D to try to key on any one or two guys.

The new CBA's practice restrictions have ruined OLs IMO. This is a pretty good idea to combat that(though I know it's been their preference for longer than the latest CBA). Though I agree 100%,the OL needs to get better as well.

Perhaps, but I think it's as much by intent.

If BB has shown anything, its that he's ahead of the curve and has adopted his game plans/personnel skill sets/etc. to maximize his advantage against what the other teams have/are doing.

So if they have been using the 2 second throw approach, I suspect part of it is because that's what Bb sees the other teams as being vulnerable against.

I'd be curious what some of the X's and O's savants (I'm looking at you AWTE) think about that.

If BB has shown anything, its that he's ahead of the curve and has adopted his game plans/personnel skill sets/etc. to maximize his advantage against what the other teams have/are doing.

So if they have been using the 2 second throw approach, I suspect part of it is because that's what Bb sees the other teams as being vulnerable against.

I'd be curious what some of the X's and O's savants (I'm looking at you AWTE) think about that.

It's long been a fact that the quick passing game is far more efficient than relying on a longer, slower developing pass game. Bill Walsh made this blindingly clear forty years ago. BB read his book and is well aware of it himself. Defenses are far more vulnerable to an efficient short game than to any type of long game. Not to say there isn't a place for deep routes in your offense. Of course there is but it's about moving the chains.

Being able to do what the Pats do may be criticized as "dink & dunk" but it's not easy. The Pats are game planning maestros. They will set up the defense and gouge them with their short game rather than run into brick walls. They will set up openers to mix and match runs and passes, keeping defenses off balance and taking advantage of match-ups.

It's very difficult to maintain and overpowering run game in the NFL year after year after year. Nothing is more disheartening to a defense than not being able to stop the run but a close second is not being able to stop the short pass, giving up yards consistently on first down, third and shorts again and again all night. These things wear a defense out.

BB and his crew took the Bill Walsh philosophy to the next step where they created a short game built on pre and post snap adjustments around an all time master at QB with the weapons to make it work making it very difficult for defenses to defend with any consistency. Some can, most can't. In this day and age with the proliferation of great pass rushers in the league and the rules as they are regarding defenders contacting receivers it only makes sense to continue relaying on the quick passing game as the Pats have for so long.

It's long been a fact that the quick passing game is far more efficient than relying on a longer, slower developing pass game. Bill Walsh made this blindingly clear forty years ago. BB read his book and is well aware of it himself. Defenses are far more vulnerable to an efficient short game than to any type of long game. Not to say there isn't a place for deep routes in your offense. Of course there is but it's about moving the chains.

Being able to do what the Pats do may be criticized as "dink & dunk" but it's not easy. The Pats are game planning maestros. They will set up the defense and gouge them with their short game rather than run into brick walls. They will set up openers to mix and match runs and passes, keeping defenses off balance and taking advantage of match-ups.

It's very difficult to maintain and overpowering run game in the NFL year after year after year. Nothing is more disheartening to a defense than not being able to stop the run but a close second is not being able to stop the short pass, giving up yards consistently on first down, third and shorts again and again all night. These things wear a defense out.

BB and his crew took the Bill Walsh philosophy to the next step where they created a short game built on pre and post snap adjustments around an all time master at QB with the weapons to make it work making it very difficult for defenses to defend with any consistency. Some can, most can't. In this day and age with the proliferation of great pass rushers in the league and the rules as they are regarding defenders contacting receivers it only makes sense to continue relaying on the quick passing game as the Pats have for so long.

I'll take that as a "yes" :)

The new CBA's practice restrictions have ruined OLs IMO. This is a pretty good idea to combat that(though I know it's been their preference for longer than the latest CBA). Though I agree 100%,the OL needs to get better as well.

Yeah I just think Bill overcomes things that other teams cannot better, and Brady can adapt a bit better to that. There are good olines out there, but you are correct on the CBA.

---------- Post added at 06:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:45 PM ----------

Some might be intended, but I think its about need as well. I am sure Brady would like to stand back there for 3 or 4 seconds and survey the field, he used to.

Being the copy cat league that it is, then why is this a patriots thing? If it is intended because its better, then why is there not a knock down fight for this gameplan? I think some of it is intent, but I think a lot of teams throw shorter than they used to, but I also think the throw in under 2 seconds thing is to avoid quick pressure that has been a constant lately. The pats have always ran a short passing game, but lately, its been get the ball out as fast as you can because here they come on a missed block. When you are getting rid of the ball this fast and still take that many sacks, something is wrong. Like I said, it used to not be this way.

I would settle for a legit RB to run between the tackles. Someone Brady can play action to and actually have the defense respect. Someone who could pound the rock in the second half when we are up 2-3 scores so Brady can avoid further unnecessary hits as well as our receivers who take a pounding.

The pats have had success with running and without running, so I do not think that is the major issue, I think the patriots throw when they facea team they can have success doing that. They are not bound like some teams that they have to get 35 carries. The pats will do whatever they want and change when needed, most teams do not, they do their thing. The steelers have ran the same defense at Brady for 16 years and he carves it up, yet they still do it.

Being the copy cat league that it is, then why is this a patriots thing? If it is intended because its better, then why is there not a knock down fight for this gameplan? I think some of it is intent, but I think a lot of teams throw shorter than they used to, but I also think the throw in under 2 seconds thing is to avoid quick pressure that has been a constant lately. The pats have always ran a short passing game, but lately, its been get the ball out as fast as you can because here they come on a missed block. When you are getting rid of the ball this fast and still take that many sacks, something is wrong. Like I said, it used to not be this way.

No one else can do it like us. We have all the slot receivers. :coffee:

Cheers

The pats have had success with running and without running, so I do not think that is the major issue, I think the patriots throw when they facea team they can have success doing that. They are not bound like some teams that they have to get 35 carries. The pats will do whatever they want and change when needed, most teams do not, they do their thing. The steelers have ran the same defense at Brady for 16 years and he carves it up, yet they still do it.

Except when they face a team that can pressure and cover like Denver last year, the Ravens in 2014 who should have beaten us, Denver the year before, ravens before that and then the Giants. Our offense is potent but it has its share of weaknesses as well that surface in the post-season. At some point with Brady being 39 and our fragile receivers who should not be used as a sub for a run game every season, we have to get a quality back and be more balanced. It is amazing to watch us get up by 20+ points and still throw because we have no one to pound the rock. All the unnecessary punishment to our receivers, brady an the Oline who are asked to pass protect the majority of the time.

Probably but only because that hack Brady has a noodle arm. :coffee:

Except when they face a team that can pressure and cover like Denver last year, the Ravens in 2014 who should have beaten us, Denver the year before, ravens before that and then the Giants. Our offense is potent but it has its share of weaknesses as well that surface in the post-season. At some point with Brady being 39 and our fragile receivers who should not be used as a sub for a run game every season, we have to get a quality back and be more balanced. It is amazing to watch us get up by 20+ points and still throw because we have no one to pound the rock. All the unnecessary punishment to our receivers, brady an the Oline who are asked to pass protect the majority of the time.

I think that they still need to sign a rb like a young version of Dillon or Blount...

As the article states, the key is the pre-snap reads TFB+ does to know where on the field they can make the quick pass to.

That's why they can throw in 2.5 seconds, he's only looking a small part of the field post snap.

So, to be able to implement this plan, you need a QB that can also do a pre-snap read to a similar level.

I don't think there are many other QB's out there that can do that well enough to implement this plan.

The pats have always ran a short passing game, but lately, its been get the ball out as fast as you can because here they come on a missed block. When you are getting rid of the ball this fast and still take that many sacks, something is wrong. Like I said, it used to not be this way.
I have the opposite observation. To me it's totally planned (to toss fast). It drives me nuts to watch Brady toss the ball in under 2 seconds when there is no pressure. Sometimes people come at him, and he hurries a throw, but those highly successful passes generally come when he is not in danger or being hit.

It's the same as him throwing low. I understand protecting the receiver and reducing the change of an INT, but sometimes the receiver goes to a knee slide when there is no one near him because that's where Brady threw the ball. Why not hit a receiver in stride once in a while?

OTOH, this system works. I'm old enough to remember the late 80's early 90's so I like this system because it's more fun to watch another 14-2 season than another 2-14 season.

But Brady often throws fast when there is zero semblance of a pass rush. Where the oline fails is when Brady doesn't have 2 seconds, and it happens way too often. I mean, 2 seconds?

---------- Post added at 10:58 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:56 AM ----------

Probably but only because that hack Brady has a noodle arm. :coffee:
Hey! Where ya been?

Back