Worst.Play.Ever...

Drove out with the family to Holland Michigan to have an early Christmas with some of the in-laws. Listened to 97.1 on Apple radio the entire trip. This is the lions home station. 95% of the conversation was about the Lions win over the Jets yesterday but the other 5% was show hosts and callers talking about the patriots loss.

Here’s the worst part: Lions fans expressing pity for us - for Patriots fans.

The play was flipping ridiculous. But let’s not lose sight of the first and goal on the 1 RZ debacle and the ridiculous touchdown call for the Raiders.

Oh, God, no.

That has to be absolute rock bottom. I hope.

Ok, Pat.

It's your story, tell it anyway you want.

This was a horrible brainfart in the moment, however it was just that.

What your Colts team did was design that disaster of a play, practice it, then somehow felt so good about it that you actually ran it. 😂

This one was ridiculously bad to point of humor.

What you guys did was planned and intentional. Whatever helps you sleep at night bro.

I’ve never really understood why people made a big deal about the butt fumble.

The Colts fake punt was interesting and funny to think of some coach trying to be creative but not really thinking it through or remembering to explain to the players that they were just trying to draw the defense offsides, not actually run the play.

Patriots play is interesting because it shows how incompetent the play-calling is, and indicates how desperate the players are to win. I don’t blame the players for thinking they needed to score on the last play of the game when a draw play was called.

Ok, Pat.

It's your story, tell it anyway you want.

This was a horrible brainfart in the moment, however it was just that.

What your Colts team did was design that disaster of a play, practice it, then somehow felt so good about it that you actually ran it. 😂

This one was ridiculously bad to point of humor.

What you guys did was planned and intentional. Whatever helps you sleep at night bro.

The Colts play wasn't intentional either. The player who snapped it was a backup who never practiced the play and didn't know it was just a ruse to try to draw the defense offside.

I’ve never really understood why people made a big deal about the butt fumble.

The Colts fake punt was interesting and funny to think of some coach trying to be creative but not really thinking it through or remembering to explain to the players that they were just trying to draw the defense offsides, not actually run the play.

Patriots play is interesting because it shows how incompetent the play-calling is, and indicates how desperate the players are to win. I don’t blame the players for thinking they needed to score on the last play of the game when a draw play was called.

I agree that the players were feeling desperation in that moment, because they are tired of sucking, tired of every talking head calling them incompetent slappies.

There is only so much you can do to shut out the noise and what Jakobi did in the moment was a desperate attempt to shut people up and demonstrated something
that he has had a problem with since we signed him. He has frequent brain farts. If he was really thinking straight about winning the game then he would have just
let the clock run out and move on to OT.

Meyers is not a smart player. A lot of folks will say that he is our best WR, but I think we should move on from him because he's had multiple seasons to figure out how to line up properly, not commit false starts, be aware of where the stick and the sidelines are, etc., etc. and he just hasn't got himself sorted between the lines. He is great at juking people with complex moves and
has pretty good hands, but he is miscast as a slot in our system and takes too long to shake defenders.

We should let him walk, which was likely to happen anyway even if the Sin City Brainfart never happened.

Something that I have been thinking about today: the last play in regulation in the Superbowl against the Falcons. The Patriots ran a fake kneel-down, direct snap (I think) to Dion Lewis, who gained a few yards and went out-of-bounds, injuring himself on the play. At the time it just seemed kind of funny that the Patriots had a fake kneel-down play, but suppose he had fumbled and the Falcons had returned the ball for a touchdown: it would have been considered the dumbest play of all time. I can imagine Belichick at the end of the Raiders game thinking "let's give the ball to our best player on a draw play, and see what happens."

Something that I have been thinking about today: the last play in regulation in the Superbowl against the Falcons. The Patriots ran a fake kneel-down, direct snap (I think) to Dion Lewis, who gained a few yards and went out-of-bounds, injuring himself on the play. At the time it just seemed kind of funny that the Patriots had a fake kneel-down play, but suppose he had fumbled and the Falcons had returned the ball for a touchdown: it would have been considered the dumbest play of all time. I can imagine Belichick at the end of the Raiders game thinking "let's give the ball to our best player on a draw play, and see what happens."
I don't have any issue with the draw play itself. Gain 10-20 yards and hope the defense commits a personal foul (facemask, helmet to helmet) and suddenly you have the chance for a game-winning FG. It's the laterals that make the play stupid

Yes I think that is the strategy: hope for a defensive penalty after gaining enough yards for a field goal. They should probably teach the players that.

Here's the bitch of the situation, this team is better than what they've put on the field. I'm convinced this year is mostly on coaching and miss management. Now I'm not saying we are Uber talented, but this staff hasn't gotten the best out of the players and that's what Bills biggest strength has been. He'll we watchedva far less talented team get to the AFC championship game with frigging Rashid Calldwell our best WR.

Here's the bitch of the situation, this team is better than what they've put on the field. I'm convinced this year is mostly on coaching and miss management. Now I'm not saying we are Uber talented, but this staff hasn't gotten the best out of the players and that's what Bills biggest strength has been. He'll we watchedva far less talented team get to the AFC championship game with frigging Rashid Calldwell our best WR.
This i do agree with, however with other coaching staffs in the nfl this could also be a 1 win team. Its just as much on the players as the coaches.

I don't have any issue with the draw play itself. Gain 10-20 yards and hope the defense commits a personal foul (facemask, helmet to helmet) and suddenly you have the chance for a game-winning FG. It's the laterals that make the play stupid

The laterals were stupid, but the first one was at least understandable. Stephenson had just busted free for 30 yards and he could see that Meyers was right next to him and in the excitement of the moment, he thought that maybe he could break a tackle take it the rest of the way.

When he unexpectedly got the ball, Meyers lost his head. He forgot what the score was (or should at least say he did) and seemed to think that he was in the middle of the Cal run back against Stanford in 1982 when the band was on the field. Even if he could have completed that throw to Mac Jones (which wasn't even close), WTF was Mac going to do? It's not like he's Barry Sanders waiting back at his own 40 yard line.

The first lateral was risky, but somewhat sane, the 2nd one was completely bizarre. It was like a little league player running around the bases the wrong way or something. Jakobi's made a lot of great catches and I'd be willing to give him a mulligan, but it was one of the dumbest on field decisions of all time.

I’ve actually come around to blaming Meyers more than the playcall having recalled the last play of the Atlanta Super Bowl and realizing that they were probably basically playing for an intermediate gain with a defensive penalty allowing for a field goal with no time left. Hawg’s remarks about Meyers being a bonehead were a paradigm shift for me. No wonder Brady hated him.

I’ve actually come around to blaming Meyers more than the playcall having recalled the last play of the Atlanta Super Bowl and realizing that they were probably basically playing for an intermediate gain with a defensive penalty allowing for a field goal with no time left. Hawg’s remarks about Meyers being a bonehead were a paradigm shift for me. No wonder Brady hated him.
Sometimes hero ball pays off...other times hero ball ends up like what just happened.

The draw was actually a great call as Stevenson got all the way inside the Raiders 30. So had there been any type of defensive penalty the Pats kick a field goal there and win.

Bill also said post game that he didn’t call the Hail Mary because Mac could not throw it that far. Not his exact words but that was the jist of it

Back