You know you're old if...

JD10367 on 12-23-2006 at 08:56 PM said:
What?!? You're older than me?!? :reche: Why did I think you were, like, late 20's or something? Now I'm all messed up, LOL...

So, 44 and a Size 5, huh? You KNOW that certain Planeteers will now be asking for pictorial evidence. :D

lol...you can ask all you want.....and don't you know you are only as old as you feel...;)

chiefsgal on 12-23-2006 at 09:03 PM said:
lol...you can ask all you want.....and don't you know you are only as old as you feel...;)

absolutely!

"old" is a state of mind.

SamBam39 on 12-23-2006 at 06:34 AM said:
when I was a kid we had a party line phone. The same phone line for two houses and each house had their own ring. I remember my brother and I listening in to the girl next door talking to her boyfriend!!
You little brats, she went on to teach lesbian theology at Colombia thanks to your snickers! :cuss:

RoadGrader on 12-23-2006 at 05:04 PM said:
does anyone here remember when the United States didn't use Zip Codes for the mail? :eek:

does anyone beside Box_of_Rocks remember when ALL mail was Rural Route Delivery? :eek: :eek:
Did you pronounce that "root" or "rowt"?

Damn! Herm is on Sportscenter and looks really old, too bad Lamar kicked, he might have decided he needed a Head Coach who looked younger than him.

RoadGrader on 12-23-2006 at 05:04 PM said:
does anyone here remember when the United States didn't use Zip Codes for the mail? :eek:
We lived in Quincy when I was growing up.

We wrote the return address like this:

Quincy 69, Mass.

I remember the days before UPS, FedEx, DHL when it was the post office or truck. When you ordered something by phone that was to heavy for the post office they would send it via truck and an 18 wheeler would pull up in front of your house to deliver it.

The days when we not only had a rubbish man but also a seperate garbage collection service too. Now thats a job to complain about.

I remember being 6 or 7 yrs old and being sent to the store (back then they were mostly neighborhood stores no super markets) by my mother to by her a pack of cigarettes. The store owner who knew everyone by name told me that he would sell me a the cigs for the 25 cents that I had but to tell my mother they had increased to 26 cents now. I remember when I got home and told her she thru a fit about how that was just too expensive. I think the word she used was thats price was outrageous and that she would just quit because she couldn't afford that. She also game me the extra penny and made me go back to pay the nice man who owned the store the extra penny.

When color tv's came out we used to love visiting my uncle who lived out of town because he had an new color set. All us kids spent nearly the entire time in front of that marvelous invention. Then years later came another milestone called the remote control. Back then they were the size of a small paper back book.

Milk delivery right to your door and the milk still had the cream on top and the fuller brush man who showed up once every few weeks to sell you cleaning products (at least that was moms story. :D )

Being from a family of 4 kids generally when one of us got the flu we all got the flu, but instead of bringing us to the doctor the doctor came to the house. Sometime in the 60's house calls came to an end.

Listening in on the old ladies over the telephone party line and getting caught and asked to hang up. and dialing the phone began with spelling the word elmwood then being changed later to EL2-....

The oral Polio vaccinations. They were given out at a local church and when you arrived you got in line with half the town to get your dose. Kind of reminds me of drinking the koolaid.

Those pocket transistor radio's and mini (3"?) open reel tape recorders. Then the begining of the computer age with the first basic portable calculators.

You know you're old if you miss Giovanni's Italian restaraunt in Framingham (on route 9). I still haven't tasted better pizza than they made at Giovanni's.

You also know you're old if watching 3 minutes of a Bruins-Canadiens game brings up all the old, Yankee and Jet style hate for those bastids. Young Bruins fans can't hate the Canadiens as much as those of us who saw them beat the best team in hockey in 1971 behind Ken Dryden or the too many men on the ice BS thereafter.

I remember being 6 or 7 yrs old and being sent to the store (back then they were mostly neighborhood stores no super markets) by my mother to by her a pack of cigarettes. The store owner who knew everyone by name told me that he would sell me a the cigs for the 25 cents that I had but to tell my mother they had increased to 26 cents now. I remember when I got home and told her she thru a fit about how that was just too expensive. I think the word she used was thats price was outrageous and that she would just quit because she couldn't afford that. She also game me the extra penny and made me go back to pay the nice man who owned the store the extra penny.

When color tv's came out we used to love visiting my uncle who lived out of town because he had an new color set. All us kids spent nearly the entire time in front of that marvelous invention. Then years later came another milestone called the remote control. Back then they were the size of a small paper back book.

The two recollections above rang a bell with me. The old guy down the street would scrape together his pennies, nickels and dimes and ask me to buy a couple of 40 oz. Pickwick ales or something when he saw me walking by. I was about 11, but the store actually sold them to me. Of course it was my Godfather's store, but, still. I didn't know he was an alcoholic until my parents found out what was happening, told me he was, and told me to stop. Different time then, selling booze to an 11 year old and cigs to a 6 - 7 YO...strange by today's laws.

Color TV: my uncle had the only electrical appliance/TV store in town back home in NH. He brought home one of the first color TVs that came out, a Sylvania or a Dumont, I forget. Anyway, the color controls were all vacuum tubes, of course, and they drifted so much that he was jumping up every couple of minutes to adjust Milton Berle's face which had turned green or purple. Maybe with Uncle Miltie it really didn't matter, but those TVs just were not ready for the market.

JD10367 on 12-22-2006 at 09:59 PM said:
Inspired by the mention of a cassette recorder in another thread.

You know you're old if you can remember...

Cassettes and no CDs.
8-tracks (older).
Reel-to-reel (REALLY old).
When you had to buy albums from Columbia House. :D

When FM wasn't big yet and the music was on AM.

Plain pushbutton phones.
Tape answering machines.
Rotary phones (older).
"Pennsylvania 8-5000" (REALLY old).
Having to go through an operator to make a call. :D

You couldn't swear or show any nudity on TV.
Only having one TV.
It wasn't remote control (older).
"Cable" was a pushbutton box hardwired to the TV.
Starcase was the only cable movie channel.
There were six channels (ABC, NBC, CBS, PBS, and two UHF).
TV still went "off the air" every night.
Some shows were still in black and white.
Your TV was black and white (REALLY old).
There was only one or two shows on TV.
You had no TV! :D

Your microwave was big and dangerous.
You had no microwave (older).
You had an icebox and not a refrigerator (REALLY old).

Your computer ran DOS.
Your computer was a TRS-80 or Commodore 64 (older).
No one had computers (REALLY old).

Your car had no CD player, just a tape deck.
Your car had no tape deck, only a radio (older).
It was only an AM radio (REALLY old).

Your "cellphone" was a giant car phone.
Only doctors and lawyers had car phone.
There were no phones; only pagers.
Only doctors and lawyers had pagers.
People had to stop and use pay phones.
Payphones were only a dime.
There were actual phone booths everywhere.

A "multiplex" had three screens.
There were no multiplexes (old).
There were very few theaters (older).
The theater was big and had a velvet curtain and an organist (REALLY old).

The "T" used overhead tracks on the Orange Line.
The "T" used Heath Street all the way to the end.
The "T" was new and cheap to ride (older).
The "T" consisted of cablecars on the street (REALLY old).

Airplanes were smaller and served real food.
Airplanes were expensive and few people flew (older).
Most people drove I-95 instead of flying.
There WAS no I-95 and people had to take Route 1 to Florida (REALLY old).

More cars were standard transmission.
All cars were standard transmission (older).
You had to crank your car to start it (REALLY old).

Any more to add?

What's the cut-off for old? I ask because I remember about 95% of this vividly, yet I'm only 42.

Back