10 Sports Truths

1. The guy had on the Patriots jersey in plain sight. The NFL just wanted some parity, and so they took away a first round draft pick from the pats. It was a 'made up' rule.
2. Ortiz is a Teddy Bear. I'll keep him on the Sox anyday.
3. 2004, it was a very good year.....
4. My Yankee loving brother said Damon has learned the 'Yankee Way', and has class now that he wears the Pinstripes.
5. Gretsky had 215 points in 1986. But he did not take over the game like Bobby Orr.
6. We (red sox) have shut up the yankee fans. They got nothing. Nothing. I sure hope the Sox win 3 out of 4, because that could change in a heartbeat.
7. Bill Lee should have started the yankee/red sox 1978 playoff game. Or so he says....
8. And Sam Bam should have motored for the first down, prior to the Raider's 'drive'. And the Pats tight end Russ Francis was mugged after that also...he would have had a first down.
9. There should be a salary cap.
10. The Patriots choked in that game, and the Giants were 'on the ball'. The better team won that game, fair and square. And that game was the chance for immortality. Not a good sign for the future of the Pats.....but I'm still a fan...

"Not a good sign for the future of the Pats"

How does that have any bearing on the future of the pats, do you realize that what they have done was near impossible, hell even being this succesful in FA times is near imopssible, name another?

Having a salary cap in any league is a joke. If there's a "rich team/poor team" issue, that's about revenue, not expenses.

I have no idea what that means.

If Team X has the wherewithal to spend $150 mm on players and does, and other teams can't spend more than $70 MM in players and therefore do not, that creates a competitive imbalance that exists in no other North American professional sport. (Hockey, basketball and football).

And that sucks.

Someone wrote that their should be a floor, too, and I wholeheartedly agree.

SF87's Sports Trooths:

1. Teh Patz R teh gheyz.
2. Steelers = Greatest Franchise in modern NFL History (It's really not even a question anymore)
3. Baseball needs a salary cap.
4. Patz = teh gheyz.
5. Who cares about the NBA? (Yes, that is a fact in question form. You didn't think it could be done, did you? :harumph: )
6. People who claim the 70's Steelers are tainted because "they were all on steroids" are retarded. Who do you think of when you think 70's Steelers? Not the handfull of guys who were taking steroids. The stars of that team were clean. Hell, most of them weren't even that big.
7. Patz, gheyz, etc...
8. Who cares about Trooth #8? Not me, bitches.
9. Fans that chant "Crosby sucks" incessantly are great, because it's like they have a big neon sign that says "I'm dumb!", and it makes it so much more fun when he scores the game winning goal mid-chant and they all soil themselves in shame and despair.
10. Gary Roberts. It's not only his number, it's also the number of ways he can kill you, when he purposely decides to ignore the other 23058039850832790853 ways he could do so.
66. Sir Mario Lemieux is the greatest hockey player ever. Don't deny it. It will only make it more embarrassing when he scores 5 goals against you. From the owners' box. :thumb:

If you read between the lines in some of MD's posts about that game, it seems that Brady actually has mentioned how limited he was in that game.

And aren't you the one who talks about how games would have played differently with Brady over Cassel? Now somehow the game wouldn't have played differently with health Brady over injured Brady? :huh:

I have seen brady played injured before, 2003 playoffs for one. Sorry I dont use injury as an excuse, you might. If his movement was limited then thats fine, but if our Oline is so bad that if not for brady moving around as much they turn into crap, then we are in trouble. I think the game was more of a rarity...they happen, Im not making excuses for it. All I know is, despite the beating brady took, he didnt throw a pick and he lead our team to a lead with only a couple minutes left on the clock, so if we want to say brady cost us the game, I disagree. Now, as far as cassel, you can stop talking about him now, he is on another team, if you cannot figure out the difference between brady and cassel than not sure I can help ya.

66. Sir Mario Lemieux is the greatest hockey player ever. Don't deny it. It will only make it more embarrassing when he scores 5 goals against you. From the owners' box. :thumb:
Mario was very good.

But this is like the QB conversation.

Brady and Manning are the top two in the NFL. You can argue about the order (though TFB is number one). There is a next group (Ben, Rivers, Brees).

Same here. Orr and Gretzky. After that there's a group that includes Lemieux and Howe. I'm not sure who the third would be in that group.

But Brady/Manning is like Orr/Gretzky. Lemieux isn't in that group.

I tend to agree with Midgar that MD is putting a little too much on Tom's mobility.

The OL got beaten to shit that today. Brady wasn't as able to move around as normal. But he wasn't all that mobile against SD, either. The difference: He had all kinds of time to stand in the pocket. Go back and watch the highlights of that game.

Conclusion: The OL was a bigger culprit than Brady's injury.

Dood.

Pretty much 99% of your posts sound like you are trying to discredit the person you are responding to.

May I suggest some happiness and rainbows?

I didnt discredit anything. I didnt say anyone was even wrong. Why are you trying to start up something thats not even there. God no wonder there is so much drama on this board. We are talking football, I didnt say my way was the only way, I said how I view it. I dont like to use excuses, injuries, the refs, whatever, I dont like doing that, because at that point, nobody can just freaking lose anymore without an excuse. I just said, I dont think one player can be the cause of a loss. Jesus!!!!

I have seen brady played injured before, 2003 playoffs for one. Sorry I dont use injury as an excuse, you might. If his movement was limited then thats fine, but if our Oline is so bad that if not for brady moving around as much they turn into crap, then we are in trouble. I think the game was more of a rarity...they happen, Im not making excuses for it. All I know is, despite the beating brady took, he didnt throw a pick and he lead our team to a lead with only a couple minutes left on the clock, so if we want to say brady cost us the game, I disagree. Now, as far as cassel, you can stop talking about him now, he is on another team, if you cannot figure out the difference between brady and cassel than not sure I can help ya.

It's not a "if the OLine is so bad if not for him moving around they turn to crap" thing, as it is a comfort and synchronization thing. These guys have been playing together for years, and in doing so develop an understanding and feel for how a guy plays the game. Brady knows where his LT's strengths are, for example, and can almost subconsciously "sense" where to go to put him in the best spot. So, if he drops back and feels that pressure, the slight adjustment is made and suddenly the LT has the upper hand. Likewise, the LT can understand the QB's rhythym on different plays, where he likes to be for delivery, the amount of time a play usually takes, where he can block his man into a "safe" zone, etc. If this is disrupted by an inability to adjust, suddenly these seemingly normal, comfortable plays become changed, that routine is broken, and a finely tuned machine is broken.

Look at the beginning of last season, when Cassel was slow to pick up the speed, and the line wasn't used to him. Compare that to the end of the season, where the sacks were dramatically reduced. In the SB, the line/QB were playing at an unfamiliar pace because of physical limitations. It's not really going to be noticeable to watch on TV, for example, because you'll see a rusher come in like you would've seen watching David Carr on the Texans or Harrington on the Lions. You don't necessarily "see" them NOT slide a few inches over (because they lack that awareness) and put their lineman in a position to sustain a block, you just see them get crushed. The SB was like that. Brady did a good job and given the injury, it was impressive that he was as successful as he was.

Sacks are almost always dual-fault.

Mario was very good.

But this is like the QB conversation.

Brady and Manning are the top two in the NFL. You can argue about the order (though TFB is number one). There is a next group (Ben, Rivers, Brees).

Same here. Orr and Gretzky. After that there's a group that includes Lemieux and Howe. I'm not sure who the third would be in that group.

But Brady/Manning is like Orr/Gretzky. Lemieux isn't in that group.

False. If Lemieux's career wasn't crippled by injuries/cancer, he'd have broken all of Gretzky's records.

I tend to agree with Midgar that MD is putting a little too much on Tom's mobility.

The OL got beaten to shit that today. Brady wasn't as able to move around as normal. But he wasn't all that mobile against SD, either. The difference: He had all kinds of time to stand in the pocket. Go back and watch the highlights of that game.

Conclusion: The OL was a bigger culprit than Brady's injury.

Well I mean he might of had a bad ankle, thats possible, and Im not saying it had nothing to do with how he moved, but again brady is not this mobile freak of nature anyway, and if it was the line that was bad or the giants were just that good that day, there was a sick amount of pressure on teh Qb that day, let just say we had some protection issues. Now with that said, I do not take everything off one game or even 5 games, it happened and that was it, but to say one guy cost the game? nah I dont see that.

It's not a "if the OLine is so bad if not for him moving around they turn to crap" thing, as it is a comfort and synchronization thing. These guys have been playing together for years, and in doing so develop an understanding and feel for how a guy plays the game. Brady knows where his LT's strengths are, for example, and can almost subconsciously "sense" where to go to put him in the best spot. So, if he drops back and feels that pressure, the slight adjustment is made and suddenly the LT has the upper hand. Likewise, the LT can understand the QB's rhythym on different plays, where he likes to be for delivery, the amount of time a play usually takes, where he can block his man into a "safe" zone, etc. If this is disrupted by an inability to adjust, suddenly these seemingly normal, comfortable plays become changed, that routine is broken, and a finely tuned machine is broken.

Look at the beginning of last season, when Cassel was slow to pick up the speed, and the line wasn't used to him. Compare that to the end of the season, where the sacks were dramatically reduced. In the SB, the line/QB were playing at an unfamiliar pace because of physical limitations. It's not really going to be noticeable to watch on TV, for example, because you'll see a rusher come in like you would've seen watching David Carr on the Texans or Harrington on the Lions. You don't necessarily "see" them NOT slide a few inches over (because they lack that awareness) and put their lineman in a position to sustain a block, you just see them get crushed. The SB was like that. Brady did a good job and given the injury, it was impressive that he was as successful as he was.

Like I wrote above, I think you are overstating Brady's injury a bit.

But damn, this is the best post I've read on a sports site in a long time.

Kudos.

I didnt discredit anything. I didnt say anyone was even wrong. Why are you trying to start up something thats not even there. God no wonder there is so much drama on this board. We are talking football, I didnt say my way was the only way, I said how I view it. I dont like to use excuses, injuries, the refs, whatever, I dont like doing that, because at that point, nobody can just freaking lose anymore without an excuse. I just said, I dont think one player can be the cause of a loss. Jesus!!!!

I was ****ing with you, Ted. Like, you know, a joke?

False. If Lemieux's career wasn't crippled by injuries/cancer, he'd have broken all of Gretzky's records.
And if the queen had balls she'd be the king.

The notion that Lemieux is higher on the NHL list than Gretzky is not one that any NHL fan who is not a Penguins fan would share. Not one.

I agree with that, but hit 23 times is the one that gets me, that means he was getting the ball off and still taking a shot. You cannot let your Qb take that many shots, I dont care how he is moving. I know what you are saying, and it could have made some difference, but some of those, brady with jets on his feet was not getting away from, and ones that he did get the ball off he was still taking a hit afterwards. I watched him on a bad wheel in the 03 playoffs, hell I saw him limping on it in games, I just think injury or not, he did as good as anyone in that circumstance would have. Some Qb's would have had 5 picks by then. We didnt even have a run game to take pressure off the blitz and one thing nobody talks about, where was the adjustment? It never happened.

Back