2006 Draft Class RB's: Maroney vs. Addai

Reaction score
Website
www.coltfreaks.com
I would like to know who you guys think is the better back and why. I remember really hoping that the Colts would pick up Maroney, and I actually thought the Patriots drafted him JUST because the Colts wanted him. Addai was a backup for most of his career at LSU, and I just didn't see the explosiveness out of him considering he was supposed to replace Edgerrin James -a guy that I think is one of the most well-rounded RB's of our time.

Well, you know the story. The Colts got the championship with Addai and Rhodes (although Addai is a much better back than Rhodes) that had eluded them during the Edge years.

I think Maroney and Addai will always be linked for these reasons, and for the fact that they're BOTH better ball carriers than the other 2 backs to come out of that draft in the first round -Reggie Bush and DeAngelo Williams.

Your thoughts?
Would you put Maurice Jones Drew in the same category as these 2?
Would you STILL rather have Bush than either of them?

I would like to know who you guys think is the better back and why. I remember really hoping that the Colts would pick up Maroney, and I actually thought the Patriots drafted him JUST because the Colts wanted him. Addai was a backup for most of his career at LSU, and I just didn't see the explosiveness out of him considering he was supposed to replace Edgerrin James -a guy that I think is one of the most well-rounded RB's of our time.

Well, you know the story. The Colts got the championship with Addai and Rhodes (although Addai is a much better back than Rhodes) that had eluded them during the Edge years.

I think Maroney and Addai will always be linked for these reasons, and for the fact that they're BOTH better ball carriers than the other 2 backs to come out of that draft in the first round -Reggie Bush and DeAngelo Williams.

Your thoughts?

I'm happy with our guy, I'm sure Indy is happy with theirs, and I wouldn't want to pay Bush. I think Maroney's upside is much higher. If he strings together an entire season like the last few weeks of last year, I'll be happy.

(excluding XLII where he really wasn't involved)

Yeah Addai might be better to this point, but he has an offense that helped to create a niche for him too. I doubt that there will be a big difference when it is all said and done...like MD said hopefully Maroney will be able to be as productive as he was at the end of 07 for an entire season...we shall see.

Maroney has more talent, Addai has more production.

Indy did well to select Addai. He fulfilled less of a need and did it better than Maroney has so far.

You'd be hard pressed to find a NE fan to say that Maroney has been as failure.

Yeah Addai might be better to this point, but he has an offense that helped to create a niche for him too. .

Well said. Addai is a niche player. A great niche player.

Again: I repeat that Maroney is the more talented player. His run at the end of the year shouldn't tell anyone otherwise.

They are both excellent running backs. Addai has been used from the getgo, whereas Maroney has been underutilized for whatever reasons. Addai has the better stats and the SB ring because of the Colts using him as their workhorse. MAroney really came around starting the last 1/3 to 1/2 of last season and I think you will see him as a big part of the pats offense from here out. You also have to remember that the pats didn't use him a lot this year not necessarily because they didn't have faith in him, but knew there was no need to run it when they could just pass, pass, pass, pass and pass until the other team FORCED them to run which most could not.

They are good players for both teams and will be for years to come. I honestly wouldn't trade Maroney for Addai because I have seen what a beast Maroney is at times with his pure speed and just running over defenders/stiff arming them, have watched him grow, develop, and learn from his mistakes to become the workhorse the pats drafted him to become if need be. Neither team loses with either running back.

Now, if you want to trade Addai for Chad Jackson, I am all ears!

Maroney is exciting and disappointing at the same time. Addai continues to amaze me but disappointed me as well when he tired near the end of the season. As a team looking for a complete back, I would say Addai is better because of his pass catching and pass blocking abilities. Maroney shows more promise as a pure rusher (though I'm very impressed with the quickness of Addai).

Little known fact: Colts were going to draft MJD in the second round of the 2006 draft, but Jacksonville snagged him two spots before us. Think of the Addai/MJD combination. :eek:

Now, if you want to trade Addai for Chad Jackson, I am all ears!

Possibly, actually. I'd take that trade.

Except, the idea behind it is defeatist bullshit. CJ was the top prospect in his WR class. Still is. Anything that Pittsburgh receiver could do, well he can do better.

Faster, with better hands, more agile, etc. Everything you ask for except watching he run around quickly and do things you cant. So, WHERE IS HE? WHAT IS HE DOING?

Give them man the benefit of the doubt. One more year.

We've been giving him the benefit of the doubt for 2 years. Does he have potential, Absolutely, and it doesn't mean a thing until he starts producing. The Lowdown on him is that he is injury prone, stubborn, can't remember the playbook, and apparently can't be activated for more than 2 days without doing something to piss off Belichick and be in the doghouse. Dude has a mountain to climb this year and had BETTER produce or he will be gone baby gone.

Maroney is exciting and disappointing at the same time. Addai continues to amaze me but disappointed me as well when he tired near the end of the season. As a team looking for a complete back, I would say Addai is better because of his pass catching and pass blocking abilities. Maroney shows more promise as a pure rusher (though I'm very impressed with the quickness of Addai).

Little known fact: Colts were going to draft MJD in the second round of the 2006 draft, but Jacksonville snagged him two spots before us. Think of the Addai/MJD combination. :eek:
Maroney's pass catching and pass blocking abilities were on display towards the end of the 2007 season. He'll be quite good in both those areas in short time, from what I've seen. His development there is slowed by having a great 3rd-down back (Faulk) ahead of him.

I'd even go so far as to say that Maroney's distant future with the club, if he sticks around when he hits free agency, will eventually be as a 3rd-down back, perhaps even as Faulk's replacement someday.

We've been giving him the benefit of the doubt for 2 years. Does he have potential, Absolutely, and it doesn't mean a thing until he starts producing. The Lowdown on him is that he is injury prone, stubborn, can't remember the playbook, and apparently can't be activated for more than 2 days without doing something to piss off Belichick and be in the doghouse. Dude has a mountain to climb this year and had BETTER produce or he will be gone baby gone.

Dude, that gif looks seriously real. eeek

I like Maroney. I also think his upside is higher. However, thus far the results speak for themselves and Addai has proven more.

I never think it's a fair comparison. Maroney is not used nearly as much as Addai. Maroney was a beast at the end of the season when he finally was used. Addai sucked because he was so beat up. If the 2 teams use the same game plan this year with the 2 backs, Maroney will have more longevity.
I think Addai gets more attention because he is the running game. We have Faulk and had Morris at the beginning of the year. If the Colts don't get some good complements to Addai, he is not long for the game.

Your thoughts?

Truthfully MJD might be the best of the class.

What kills me is how Minn. wasn't a true powerhouse with Barber and Maroney. That was some kinda combination.

What kills me is how Minn. wasn't a true powerhouse with Barber and Maroney. That was some kinda combination.

Great point but we all know how much the O-line really dictates these things, especially in college..still need a holw to burst through.

Back