2010 Pro Bowl to be played in Miami before Super Bowl

king of kings

Grammar offender
Reaction score
There taking the probowl out of hawaii and moving to a week before the Suber bowl. I kind of like thgis ideal.
MIAMI -- The Pro Bowl will be played one week before the Super Bowl in 2010 and both games will be staged in Dolphin Stadium, a person directly involved in the decision told The Associated Press on Monday.

The official spoke on condition of anonymity because the NFL has not announced the move.

When should the Pro Bowl be held?
Before the Super Bowl
After the Super Bowl

It's not a new notion to have the game moved up to take place between the conference championship games and the Super Bowl. The NFL has discussed it multiple times in recent years, and commissioner Roger Goodell told the AP last month that having the game precede the Super Bowl would avoid a "somewhat anticlimactic" ending to the season.

The Pro Bowl has been held in Honolulu since 1980, and it's probable that the game will return to Hawaii after 2010, although not on the permanent basis as has been the case over the last three decades.

It won't be South Florida's first Pro Bowl: the 1975 game took place in Miami's Orange Bowl, during a period when the site rotated annually.

Barring a schedule change, next season's Pro Bowl will take place Jan. 31, 2010, with the Super Bowl that year on Feb. 7. The league's plan is for players on the AFC and NFC championship squads not to take part in the Pro Bowl.

Miami was awarded the 2010 Super Bowl three years ago, a record 10th time the game will come to the Dolphins' home city. The notion of adding the Pro Bowl to the lineup in South Florida was first discussed several months ago. It's not clear when the final decision was made to move the game.

Hawaii tourism officials have lobbied in recent months to extend the game's current contract, which expires after this season's Pro Bowl, pointing to the fact that it's been sold out every year since moving to Honolulu and generates about $30.5 million in visitor spending and tax revenues.

And earlier this year, Hawaii's state government released $11 million for lighting and roofing improvements at Aloha Stadium, part of ongoing upgrades designed to refurbish and modernize the aging stadium. State officials have also considered demolishing the facility and building a new stadium.

Uhhh no.

And any player that is playing in the superbowl that takes the field for the probowl, should have their contract revoked and be forced to play for league minimum the rest of their career.

This is so stupid. Put the Pro Bowl before the Super Bowl, and every player selected to the Pro Bowl from the 2 SB teams will not play.
The way its set up now, you have the build up of the regular season, playoffs, and finally it culminates in the SB, and then you have the Pro Bowl at the end as kind of like the after party of the NFL season. That's what it should be. Putting it before the SB isn't going to make it more interesting or more meaningful, it's just going to be interrupting the playoffs/lead up to the SB with a meaningless exhibition game.

This is so stupid. Put the Pro Bowl before the Super Bowl, and every player selected to the Pro Bowl from the 2 SB teams will not play.
The way its set up now, you have the build up of the regular season, playoffs, and finally it culminates in the SB, and then you have the Pro Bowl at the end as kind of like the after party of the NFL season. That's what it should be. Putting it before the SB isn't going to make it more interesting or more meaningful, it's just going to be interrupting the playoffs/lead up to the SB with a meaningless exhibition game.
This

The probowl is a glorified vacation where the most popular players get to hang out and meet each other, and the NFL can fleece a little bit more money from it's fans.

We are, for the most part, happy with this arrangement, and attempts to tamper with it will result in your speaking privledges revoked Mr Goodell. You're on thin ****ing ice as it is anyway, and we will be under it when it breaks.

And your 2010 Starting QB representing the NFC....Dan Orlovsky and for the AFC Sage Rosenfels. WOW!!! What a show.

Let primadonnas like manning play, they're not allowed to be hit below the vagina anyway.

If they did away with the pro-bowl all together, would anybody notice?

If they did away with the pro-bowl all together, would anybody notice?

Not me.

As great as the NFL is it's the worst 'all-star' game of the four major sports, and I don't even like basketball:coffee:

I laugh at their failure of an idea to get that game to be relevant.

simpsons_nelson_haha2.jpg

Why are all the leagues so determined to make their All-Star games relevant? Baseball is probably the saddest example, but this is up there too.

Not me.

As great as the NFL is it's the worst 'all-star' game of the four major sports, and I don't even like basketball:coffee:

Teh Basketball All Star game is the awesomest awesome that ever awesomed. 4serious.:thumb:

Teh Basketball All Star game is the awesomest awesome that ever awesomed. 4serious.:thumb:

I love the nba slam star game and and contests. the slam dunk contest was the best one I seen in years.

Uhhh no.

And any player that is playing in the superbowl that takes the field for the probowl, should have their contract revoked and be forced to play for league minimum the rest of their career.

they will not play
The league's plan is for players on the AFC and NFC championship squads not to take part in the Pro Bowl.

I like the idea, why not fill that boring weekend with a boring game, actually why not include it in your superbowl game ticket and play it on Saturday afternoon the day before

You know those times when you've been so drunk that if you have even ONE more drink you know you're gonna puke - but you have one more drink anyway?

Yeah, even those times were smarter than this idea.

I haven't watched the Pro Bowl since the '94 season. Putting it before the SB would not change this. At my job [A restuarant] we have a Christmas party that is held in our lounge. We close an hour early on a Sunday night and everyone gets shoved into the bar like its a cattle car to Auswitz. The boss lets everyone get one free drink, after that we have to pay. He considers this our Christmas bonus. He complains that nobody comes anymore. Thats what the Pro Bowl is to me.

Back