2012 Draft Rumors and Discussion

The Gr8est

"It's time to shut up, Fat Boy!"
Reaction score
With the 2012 NFL Draft just 3.5 days away, I thought it might be a good idea to start a thread to post and discuss draft rumors, disinformation, and such, and carry it right into the draft as opposed to using the existing Draft Prospects and 2012 Pats Draft threads. Those don't seem the best spot for these items.

Starting it off is an article by Peter King with some rumors and scuttlebutt:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/peter_king/04/22/mmqb/

"Michael Brockers is hot, Ryan Tannehill may not be. The old draft trade chart is out the window, the Jags have an itchy trigger finger, Justin Blackmon and Michael Floyd have the attention of the Rams, Seattle may not want to move as much as the current rumor suggests and, speaking of rumors, I'd advise you not to believe many of them about moving up.

T-minus three days until you all get to open your presents, and this is what I'm hearing:

Movers and shakers ... Not so much. One of the things you're going to hear in the run-up to Thursday night's first round of the draft is how badly the Jacksonville Jaguars want to trade down from No. 7, which is true. And last night, one of the stories hatching around the league was that Seattle would move from 12 to seven -- ahead of Miami at eight -- to pick Texas A&M quarterback Ryan Tannehill. I think it's unlikely, and not just because the Seahawks just bought a quarterback, Matt Flynn, in free agency, last month.

Seattle doesn't want to use up two of its three choices in the top 100 of a draft they like a lot for a quarterback they might be able to pick sitting at 12. Think of it: There's one team that might take Tannehill between five and 11 -- Miami at eight. Let's say Seattle GM John Schneider feels there are multiple holes not at quarterback he needs to fill, and let's say he had to throw in his third-round pick, 75th overall, to be able to draft Tannehill. That means, after taking a quarterback in free agency and budgeting $15.5 million over the next two years for Flynn, he'd have used the 12th and 75th picks to procure another quarterback. Knowing Schneider and his love of building the roster through the draft, I'm dubious. From what I heard over the weekend, the trade market up to seven is comatose, unless Jacksonville's asking price is downright minuscule.

Brockers racks up the frequent-flier miles. LSU defensive tackle Michael Brockers leads all potential draftees with 16 pre-draft visits to NFL teams, and he leads it by a lot. Intriguing Montana cornerback Trumaine Johnson (teams wish he were faster than 4.58 in the 40, but he has the size at 6-foot-2 to match up with the new generation of wideouts) has made 12 trips. And two non-combine invitees -- SMU tight end Taylor Thompson and Miami (Ohio) guard Brandon Brooks -- have made just under a dozen. Included in Brooks' 10 visits was a trip to guard-needy Pittsburgh.

PETER KING'S MOCK DRAFT, WITH TEAM BY TEAM NEEDS VIDEOS

Now here's a story. A receiver in high school and defensive end in college, Thompson worked out at the SMU Pro Day as a tight end. Not a bad move, because teams came away thinking he could make the transition given his size (6-6, 259), athleticism and good hands. In the last two weeks, Thompson visited 11 teams and would have seen more if there'd only been more days in the week. I could see him going late in the third round and Brooks going by late in the second.

The Rams zero in on the receivers. Last week, St. Louis worked out both Justin Blackmon and Michael Floyd. It's pretty late in the process to be working guys out, but the Rams wanted to see each player up close and personal one last time before setting their draft board with finality. It sounds like the Rams liked both, but likely will keep the Oklahoma State wideout, Blackmon, higher. I don't expect the Rams to give either man a final grade as high as A.J. Green's last year (few teams would), but I do expect them to be comfortable picking Blackmon sixth overall, if that's what it comes to. Still, don't be surprised to see the Rams puzzle over Trent Richardson if he falls to six.

Tannehill, fact and fiction. Just remember one thing on the Monday before the draft: It's in the Dolphins' best interests for the rest of the league to not know what they want to do about Ryan Tannehill -- and for teams like Jacksonville to be able to say to teams like Seattle: If you want Tannehill, and he gets by Cleveland at four, you've got to jump ahead of Miami at eight. And maybe you do. Let's say Tannehill gets past Cleveland, and I think he will. Over the weekend, I was told the same thing that Mike Florio reported on ProFootballTalk.com: that owner Stephen Ross wanted the Dolphins to pick Tannehill. I was also told Miami's offensive coordinator, Mike Sherman, likes his former A&M quarterback (Sherman was Tannehill's coach before getting fired after the season) but isn't standing on the table for him.

Sunday night, respected Dolphins beat writer Armando Salguero reported the Ross item is not true and said a highly placed club source told him, animatedly, that Ross hasn't told anyone who to draft. And this morning, I got a call from someone saying Florio was right on; Ross wants the quarterback. So what will happen here? I don't know. But I do think it's less of a lock Tannehill goes no lower than eight than it was a couple of weeks ago. If Miami passes on him at eight, I expect him to go either to a trade-up team with Kansas City at 11 or to Seattle at 12.

Not sure how big of a deal this will become, but it's got the middle of the first round talk at least. Florio reported this first over the weekend, and let me expand on it. In the new collective bargaining agreement, there's a provision that could affect trading of draft choices in the first round. Each first-round pick can be signed to a four-year contract with a club option for a fifth year that has to be exercised in May following the third season of the contract. So rookies this year will sign for four years, through the end of the 2015 season; but in May 2015, teams have to tell the players if they intend to exercise the fifth years of the contract and lock up players through 2016. For picks 1 through 10 of the first round, that fifth-year salary will be the transition number, the average of the top 10 salaries at the position that season. For picks 11 through 32, the fifth-year salary will be the average of the third through 25th salaries at the position that year.

I'll give you an example. Let's use Tannehill. The transition number for quarterbacks this year is $14.3 million. The average of the third through 25th quarterback salary this year is $8.1 million. Who knows what the numbers will look like in May 2015, but they probably won't be smaller, or the gulf narrower. In other words, if you pick Tannehill at eight, you'll be paying $6.2 million more in a five-year deal for him than if you picked Tannehill at 12. Crazy. But true.

Now, some teams I spoke with over the weekend say the fifth year in the deal will simply be used as leverage in negotiations for a long-term deal. But I can see sticklers like Scott Pioli in Kansas City, Howie Roseman in Philadelphia and Mike Brown in Cincinnati holding players to fifth years at a lower price. There's a reason Pioli went on last week in his press conference with local writers about why he loved picking at 11. That's where the more team-friendly numbers begin.

In case you're interested, the difference in fifth-year numbers for defensive ends picked in the top 10 versus in the final 22 picks of round one ($4.3 million), and defensive tackles ($2.6 million), could come into play because of the big numbers of each position in the first round. "In any case,'' one club official told me over the weekend, "the old draft trade chart is obsolete.''

Dallas could pick between Barron and DeCastro. It's not like Jerry Jones to overload on the offensive line two years in a row by picking Stanford guard David DeCastro; the Cowboys took tackle Tyron Smith in the first round last year. It's more likely they'll focus on Alabama safety Mark Barron at No. 14. He's the darling of the mock draft set -- including in mine -- and is a battle-tested (38 starts under Nick Saban), day-one starter who would fit in well in a needy secondary.

The Colts would love to pick Stanford tight end Coby Fleener at No. 34, atop round two, but I think they'll have bigger fish to fry. Indianapolis is transitioning to the 3-4 defense without a lot of players to play it. GM Ryan Grigson has been working hard to find players who will fit new coach Chuck Pagano's 3-4, which would take a couple of years of player procurement. When you've been a defense built for speed for so long, and now you're going to a defense built for bulk, that's a major transition. So I don't see Indy, despite its affection for Fleener, continuing to team him with quarterback Andrew Luck. By the way, how odd is it that both Dwight Freeney and Robert Mathis could be 3-4 outside 'backers after careers at defensive end? I've got to think Freeney, at least, is itching for a draft-weekend trade.

What else I've heard: The Vikings are still a Matt Kalil team, but if he slips out of three, he could fall and be in play for Buffalo at 10 ... Still hearing the Bucs and Morris Claiborne most likely at No. 5 ... There's a lot of love for Wisconsin guard Kevin Zeitler low in the first round. Could have some position versatility to move to tackle ... The Stephon Gilmore train continues to pick up steam. I had him seven in my mock draft to Jacksonville last week, and I have no regrets. I know two teams that have him rated higher than Claiborne ...

The Patriots worked out Boise State outside 'backer/defensive end Shea McClellin and liked what they saw ... "Write it down,'' said a good personnel man. "Ted Thompson's taking help for Clay Matthews.'' A bookend pass-rusher, in other words, so Matthews sees less double-teaming in 2012 and beyond ... Guard-tackle Cordy Glenn is a favorite of Arizona at 13. Not saying the Cards will pick him, but I heard a lot in the last few days from people I talk to saying he was the one guy I didn't have in my mock first round who belongs ... Speaking of the Cards, I talked to Larry Fitzgerald over the weekend. Let's just say he wants fellow Minnesotan Michael Floyd with that 13th pick. Badly ...

Quinton Coples and Melvin Ingram are all over the board, in terms of who might take them and what personnel people think of them. I'm talking anywhere from seventh to the second round for Coples, and 12th to the end of the first round for Ingram ... The longer the process goes, the more holes scouts poke in Dontari Poe."

With the 2012 NFL Draft just 3.5 days away, I thought it might be a good idea to start a thread to post and discuss draft rumors, disinformation, and carry it right into the draft as opposed to using the existing Draft Prospects and 2012 Pats Draft threads. Those don't seem the best spot for these items.

"Michael Brockers is hot, Ryan Tannehill may not be. The old draft trade chart is out the window, the Jags have an itchy trigger finger, Justin Blackmon and Michael Floyd have the attention of the Rams, Seattle may not want to move as much as the current rumor suggests and, speaking of rumors, I'd advise you not to believe many of them about moving up.

T-minus three days until you all get to open your presents, and this is what I'm hearing:

Movers and shakers ... Not so much. One of the things you're going to hear in the run-up to Thursday night's first round of the draft is how badly the Jacksonville Jaguars want to trade down from No. 7, which is true. And last night, one of the stories hatching around the league was that Seattle would move from 12 to seven -- ahead of Miami at eight -- to pick Texas A&M quarterback Ryan Tannehill. I think it's unlikely, and not just because the Seahawks just bought a quarterback, Matt Flynn, in free agency, last month.

Seattle doesn't want to use up two of its three choices in the top 100 of a draft they like a lot for a quarterback they might be able to pick sitting at 12. Think of it: There's one team that might take Tannehill between five and 11 -- Miami at eight. Let's say Seattle GM John Schneider feels there are multiple holes not at quarterback he needs to fill, and let's say he had to throw in his third-round pick, 75th overall, to be able to draft Tannehill. That means, after taking a quarterback in free agency and budgeting $15.5 million over the next two years for Flynn, he'd have used the 12th and 75th picks to procure another quarterback. Knowing Schneider and his love of building the roster through the draft, I'm dubious. From what I heard over the weekend, the trade market up to seven is comatose, unless Jacksonville's asking price is downright minuscule.

Brockers racks up the frequent-flier miles. LSU defensive tackle Michael Brockers leads all potential draftees with 16 pre-draft visits to NFL teams, and he leads it by a lot. Intriguing Montana cornerback Trumaine Johnson (teams wish he were faster than 4.58 in the 40, but he has the size at 6-foot-2 to match up with the new generation of wideouts) has made 12 trips. And two non-combine invitees -- SMU tight end Taylor Thompson and Miami (Ohio) guard Brandon Brooks -- have made just under a dozen. Included in Brooks' 10 visits was a trip to guard-needy Pittsburgh.

Now here's a story. A receiver in high school and defensive end in college, Thompson worked out at the SMU Pro Day as a tight end. Not a bad move, because teams came away thinking he could make the transition given his size (6-6, 259), athleticism and good hands. In the last two weeks, Thompson visited 11 teams and would have seen more if there'd only been more days in the week. I could see him going late in the third round and Brooks going by late in the second.

The Rams zero in on the receivers. Last week, St. Louis worked out both Justin Blackmon and Michael Floyd. It's pretty late in the process to be working guys out, but the Rams wanted to see each player up close and personal one last time before setting their draft board with finality. It sounds like the Rams liked both, but likely will keep the Oklahoma State wideout, Blackmon, higher. I don't expect the Rams to give either man a final grade as high as A.J. Green's last year (few teams would), but I do expect them to be comfortable picking Blackmon sixth overall, if that's what it comes to. Still, don't be surprised to see the Rams puzzle over Trent Richardson if he falls to six.

Tannehill, fact and fiction. Just remember one thing on the Monday before the draft: It's in the Dolphins' best interests for the rest of the league to not know what they want to do about Ryan Tannehill -- and for teams like Jacksonville to be able to say to teams like Seattle: If you want Tannehill, and he gets by Cleveland at four, you've got to jump ahead of Miami at eight. And maybe you do. Let's say Tannehill gets past Cleveland, and I think he will. Over the weekend, I was told the same thing that Mike Florio reported on ProFootballTalk.com: that owner Stephen Ross wanted the Dolphins to pick Tannehill. I was also told Miami's offensive coordinator, Mike Sherman, likes his former A&M quarterback (Sherman was Tannehill's coach before getting fired after the season) but isn't standing on the table for him.

Sunday night, respected Dolphins beat writer Armando Salguero reported the Ross item is not true and said a highly placed club source told him, animatedly, that Ross hasn't told anyone who to draft. And this morning, I got a call from someone saying Florio was right on; Ross wants the quarterback. So what will happen here? I don't know. But I do think it's less of a lock Tannehill goes no lower than eight than it was a couple of weeks ago. If Miami passes on him at eight, I expect him to go either to a trade-up team with Kansas City at 11 or to Seattle at 12.

Not sure how big of a deal this will become, but it's got the middle of the first round talk at least. Florio reported this first over the weekend, and let me expand on it. In the new collective bargaining agreement, there's a provision that could affect trading of draft choices in the first round. Each first-round pick can be signed to a four-year contract with a club option for a fifth year that has to be exercised in May following the third season of the contract. So rookies this year will sign for four years, through the end of the 2015 season; but in May 2015, teams have to tell the players if they intend to exercise the fifth years of the contract and lock up players through 2016. For picks 1 through 10 of the first round, that fifth-year salary will be the transition number, the average of the top 10 salaries at the position that season. For picks 11 through 32, the fifth-year salary will be the average of the third through 25th salaries at the position that year.

I'll give you an example. Let's use Tannehill. The transition number for quarterbacks this year is $14.3 million. The average of the third through 25th quarterback salary this year is $8.1 million. Who knows what the numbers will look like in May 2015, but they probably won't be smaller, or the gulf narrower. In other words, if you pick Tannehill at eight, you'll be paying $6.2 million more in a five-year deal for him than if you picked Tannehill at 12. Crazy. But true.

Now, some teams I spoke with over the weekend say the fifth year in the deal will simply be used as leverage in negotiations for a long-term deal. But I can see sticklers like Scott Pioli in Kansas City, Howie Roseman in Philadelphia and Mike Brown in Cincinnati holding players to fifth years at a lower price. There's a reason Pioli went on last week in his press conference with local writers about why he loved picking at 11. That's where the more team-friendly numbers begin.

In case you're interested, the difference in fifth-year numbers for defensive ends picked in the top 10 versus in the final 22 picks of round one ($4.3 million), and defensive tackles ($2.6 million), could come into play because of the big numbers of each position in the first round. "In any case,'' one club official told me over the weekend, "the old draft trade chart is obsolete.''

Dallas could pick between Barron and DeCastro. It's not like Jerry Jones to overload on the offensive line two years in a row by picking Stanford guard David DeCastro; the Cowboys took tackle Tyron Smith in the first round last year. It's more likely they'll focus on Alabama safety Mark Barron at No. 14. He's the darling of the mock draft set -- including in mine -- and is a battle-tested (38 starts under Nick Saban), day-one starter who would fit in well in a needy secondary.

The Colts would love to pick Stanford tight end Coby Fleener at No. 34, atop round two, but I think they'll have bigger fish to fry. Indianapolis is transitioning to the 3-4 defense without a lot of players to play it. GM Ryan Grigson has been working hard to find players who will fit new coach Chuck Pagano's 3-4, which would take a couple of years of player procurement. When you've been a defense built for speed for so long, and now you're going to a defense built for bulk, that's a major transition. So I don't see Indy, despite its affection for Fleener, continuing to team him with quarterback Andrew Luck. By the way, how odd is it that both Dwight Freeney and Robert Mathis could be 3-4 outside 'backers after careers at defensive end? I've got to think Freeney, at least, is itching for a draft-weekend trade.

What else I've heard: The Vikings are still a Matt Kalil team, but if he slips out of three, he could fall and be in play for Buffalo at 10 ... Still hearing the Bucs and Morris Claiborne most likely at No. 5 ... There's a lot of love for Wisconsin guard Kevin Zeitler low in the first round. Could have some position versatility to move to tackle ... The Stephon Gilmore train continues to pick up steam. I had him seven in my mock draft to Jacksonville last week, and I have no regrets. I know two teams that have him rated higher than Claiborne ...

The Patriots worked out Boise State outside 'backer/defensive end Shea McClellin and liked what they saw ... "Write it down,'' said a good personnel man. "Ted Thompson's taking help for Clay Matthews.'' A bookend pass-rusher, in other words, so Matthews sees less double-teaming in 2012 and beyond ... Guard-tackle Cordy Glenn is a favorite of Arizona at 13. Not saying the Cards will pick him, but I heard a lot in the last few days from people I talk to saying he was the one guy I didn't have in my mock first round who belongs ... Speaking of the Cards, I talked to Larry Fitzgerald over the weekend. Let's just say he wants fellow Minnesotan Michael Floyd with that 13th pick. Badly ...

Quinton Coples and Melvin Ingram are all over the board, in terms of who might take them and what personnel people think of them. I'm talking anywhere from seventh to the second round for Coples, and 12th to the end of the first round for Ingram ... The longer the process goes, the more holes scouts poke in Dontari Poe."

So I am thinking that if the Patriots are truely high on McClellin they are going to have to take him at 27, because he will not make it past GB more than likely.

So I am thinking that if the Patriots are truely high on McClellin they are going to have to take him at 27, because he will not make it past GB more than likely.

Everything I've read indicates GB loves McClellin.

And GB picks #28. I wonder if they are inclined to try and trade up ahead of the Pats for McClellin. May be a poker game going on between those two teams.

I don't know, but if the Patriots can make GB have to trade up, they won half the battle.

And GB picks #28. I wonder if they are inclined to try and trade up ahead of the Pats for McClellin. May be a poker game going on between those two teams.

While I like Shea (I was on record that he was the first OLB prospect I thought NE might target even before his profile started exploding), if GB wants to leapfrog the Pats to get him, so be it. He isn't that good.

While I like Shea (I was on record that he was the first OLB prospect I thought NE might target ever before his profile started exploding), if GB wants to leapfrog the Pats to get him, so be it. He isn't that good.

Isn't his name Batman at times?

While I like Shea (I was on record that he was the first OLB prospect I thought NE might target ever before his profile started exploding), if GB wants to leapfrog the Pats to get him, so be it. He isn't that good.

Agreed.

DO.

NOT.

REACH.

I look at Miami and I see a team that is just screaming to be taken advantage of whether it is by Cleveland at #4, Jacksonville at #7, KC moving up from #12, or even the Pats if the Dolphins don't get Tannehill.

The Dolphins don't play poker well and I think they are inclined to make knee jerk moves, particularly in light of their horrible off-season.

Here's an alternative way of mathematically manipulating a player's speed and strength based on his height and weight to determine a player's “Comprehensive Measurement Grade” for overall power. It's way too early to tell if this is only just so much hocus-pocus but the results were fun for me to look at. He lists the best in this draft by position, excepting for QB, of course.

Example.

Defensive Linemen):

1. Chandler Jones DE, Syracuse- Grade: 7.36
  2. Tyronne Crawford DE, Boise St- Grade: 6.84
  3. Nick Perry DE, USC- Grade: 6.78
  4. Fletcher Cox DT, Mississippi St.- Grade 6.7
  5. Mike Martin DT, Michigan- Grade: 6.68
  6. Jack Crawford DE, Penn St.- Grade: 6.68
  7. Jake Bequette DE, Arkansas- Grade: 6.42
  8. Derek Wolfe DT, Cincinnati- Grade: 6.4

We have been hearing a lot of talk about Chandler Jones possibly working his way into the 1<sup>st</sup> round. Plus, Tyrone Crawford has seemingly come out of nowhere to land himself in 2<sup>nd</sup> place on the list of Defensive linemen. What gave him the surprising edge here was his impressive DSA/weight ratio grade, combined with good height and arm length. Worth noting here is the absence of “Mr. Workout Warrior” himself, Dontari Poe. In realty, Poe really just excelled in his 40 time and bench press. Both of those categories happen to be among the most popular at the combine and usually receive the most attention. Outside of those categories Poe actually performed very mediocre to poor, giving him a rather mortal total grade of 5.96. Perhaps he is equally overrated both on tape and in workouts. Another player of note who did not make the top 10: Quinton Coples. He may be overrated after all.

Linebackers/ Tweeners:

1. Bruce Irvin, West Virginia- Grade: 7.66
  2. Mychal Kendricks, CAL- Grade: 7.42
  3. Miles Burris, SDST- Grade: 7.3
  4. Luke Kuechly, Boston College- Grade: 7.26
  5. Demario Davis, Arkansas St.- Grade: 6.94
  6. Andre Branch, Clemson- Grade: 6.8
  7. Nigel Bradham, Florida St.- Grade: 6.7
  8. Whitney Mercilus, Illinois- Grade: 6.68
  9. Melvin Ingram, South Carolina- Grade: 6.68
  10. Vinny Curry, Marshall- Grade: 6.62

Few People helped their draft stock like Kendricks has this off season. He has shown himself to be one of the most explosive, dynamic, and complete athletes in the draft. If he can learn how to get off blocks better he should be able to be an elite defender in the NFL for years to come. Miles Burris also shows up as an intriguing prospect with lots of potential. Here is a guy who has made a lot of plays in college and may be a great sleeper pick on day 3 unless enough teams have moved him up their boards. Bradham was a surprise to see on the list, as he found himself at No. 7 due to the fact that he has no physical weaknesses. Not to mention he had a great vertical jump and possesses very long arms. I think this grade may also make a case for Bruce Irvin to be given a legitimate chance in rounds 2-3. One glaring omission is Zach Brown, whom I also gave the overrated tag earlier in the week.
http://www.football.draft-hub.com/draft-hubs-dynamic-measureable-rankings

Idk, but the way Bruce Irvin, Mychal Kendricks and Chandler Jones are rising, maybe this guy is on to something. :insane: We'll see in a few years.

Here's how he computes stuff and his complete list of players/rankings.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Ao4Uo4d8uAnhdGZteVVHcmVWWXlHNHd5UnlnaVNla2c#gid=0

OOPS! Can't find where he tweeted about Pats but I believe Rapoport.
Ian Rapoport ‏ <s>@</s>RapSheet Yup. Tweeted love to Cowboys & Patriots RT <s>@</s>dallascowboys: Barron Tweets/Deletes Love For The Cowboys: Ah, Twitter ... http://bit.ly/JtFm4s

<table class="PersonaBlog_Table" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"> <tbody><tr> <td class="PersonaBlog_TableLeft"> <table class="BlogMain_MabAuthTable" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"> <tbody><tr> <td class="BlogMain_MabAuthTableLeft"> </td> <td class="BlogMain_MabAuthTableRight"> Barron Tweets/Deletes Love For The Cowboys
Posted by jellis at 4/23/2012 10:06 AM CDT on dallascowboys.com
</td> </tr> </tbody></table> Ah, the Twitter, where the truth comes out at least for a few hours until we claim we were "hacked."

Alabama safety Mark Barron isn't saying that just yet, but he has appears to have thought better of a tweet he put out over the weekend - or perhaps his people thought better of it for him.

A potential first-round target for the Cowboys, Barron engaged in some very public flirting with the team, then retracted his words. On the unverified but extremely convincing @MarkBarron_4 feed, the (apparent) Crimson Tide defender tweeted the following on Sunday:

"S/o [shout-out] to that Lone STAR State #CowboyNation"

The tweet has since been deleted.

In recent weeks, Barron has emerged as the mock drafters' consensus selection for the Cowboys at No. 14 overall, however some league insiders believe he could come off the board earlier.

If Barron is already preparing himself to be a Cowboy, other teams probably have the same read and may try to trade up in front of the 14th slot to land his services.

Three days before the draft, of course, a lot of gamesmanship takes place on the part of teams and agents.

Was Barron's tweet a genuine show of admiration for the team he truly wants to join? Or was it an attempt to get himself drafted a few picks earlier and thus make significantly more money?

Comments (29) | Permanent Link

</td></tr></tbody></table>

Here's an alternative way of mathematically manipulating a player's speed and strength based on his height and weight to determine a player's “Comprehensive Measurement Grade” for overall power. It's way too early to tell if this is only just so much hocus-pocus but the results were fun for me to look at. He lists the best in this draft by position, excepting for QB, of course.

Example.

http://www.football.draft-hub.com/draft-hubs-dynamic-measureable-rankings

Idk, but the way Bruce Irvin, Mychal Kendricks and Chandler Jones are rising, maybe this guy is on to something. :insane: We'll see in a few years.

Here's how he computes stuff and his complete list of players/rankings.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Ao4Uo4d8uAnhdGZteVVHcmVWWXlHNHd5UnlnaVNla2c#gid=0

That's gr8 stuff chevs and warrants keeping an eye on as the draft unfolds. Of course, this chart does not track heart, or how getting big money will affect a player.

While I like Shea (I was on record that he was the first OLB prospect I thought NE might target even before his profile started exploding), if GB wants to leapfrog the Pats to get him, so be it. He isn't that good.

If he's good enough to take at 28, then he's probably not that bad of a pick at 26. It's not like they'd be moving up 10 spots to get him.

That's gr8 stuff chevs and warrants keeping an eye on as the draft unfolds. Of course, this chart does not track heart, or how getting big money will affect a player.

While he wasn't drafted by the Pats, Adalius Thomas sure comes to mind.

I read a couple this morning.

*OT Mike Adams from OSU allegedly tested positive for weed at the combine which combined with his general negative image might mean he'll drop.

*Pittsburgh is loving them some Dontari Poe and see him as the next Casey Hampton.

*Dallas is looking long and hard at Courtney Upshaw so maybe Barron isn't their guy after all.

*Philly is in love with Fletcher Cox.

*Detroit is going to take a corner and given their predilection for drafting defensive guys with baggage Janoris Jenkins is probably in the mix with Fitzpatrick and Gilmore.

My own thought: with the late rise of Tannehill, Cousins and Weeden suggesting it is possible ALL of them go first round then somebody has to drop and the odd man out in my guesstimation might be WR Kendall Wright who didn't have a fabulous combine to go with his outstanding production in school and isn't nearly as tall as Blackmon, Floyd, Hill, Randle and Sanu. He could present an interesting dilemma for us at 27.

The guy is an intense competitor who is more NFL ready than any of the above except maybe Blackmon and is a better deep threat than any of them. This puts him in a seperate category from every WR we've drafted in the last 10 years. He could be the exception to the rule.

With the 2012 NFL Draft just 3.5 days away, I thought it might be a good idea to start a thread to post and discuss draft rumors, disinformation, and such, and carry it right into the draft as opposed to using the existing Draft Prospects and 2012 Pats Draft threads. Those don't seem the best spot for these items.

Browns won't take Tannehill. They my bluff to make a trade but their going Richardson.

Interesting that the colts still might try & trade Freeney.

I read a couple this morning.

*OT Mike Adams from OSU allegedly tested positive for weed at the combine which combined with his general negative image might mean he'll drop.

*Pittsburgh is loving them some Dontari Poe and see him as the next Casey Hampton.

*Dallas is looking long and hard at Courtney Upshaw so maybe Barron isn't their guy after all.

*Philly is in love with Fletcher Cox.

*Detroit is going to take a corner and given their predilection for drafting defensive guys with baggage Janoris Jenkins is probably in the mix with Fitzpatrick and Gilmore.

My own thought: with the late rise of Tannehill, Cousins and Weeden suggesting it is possible ALL of them go first round then somebody has to drop and the odd man out in my guesstimation might be WR Kendall Wright who didn't have a fabulous combine to go with his outstanding production in school and isn't nearly as tall as Blackmon, Floyd, Hill, Randle and Sanu. He could present an interesting dilemma for us at 27.

The guy is an intense competitor who is more NFL ready than any of the above except maybe Blackmon and is a better deep threat than any of them. This puts him in a seperate category from every WR we've drafted in the last 10 years. He could be the exception to the rule.

Interesting tidbits, Hawg. Starting about 2 weeks before the draft we begin hearing some pretty weird stuff about prospects, draft positions and teams that have interest. Dallas, for instance, has been reported to have extreme interest in just about every top 20 prospect out there. Who they will finally pick has suddenly become a national news story and that must make Jerry Jones feel all important and sh*t.

What I see from this draft is that after the first 7-8 picks every team will pick and they'll be hoping they get their picks right. Confusion reigns because there's no clean way to rank these players. Read 10 different rankings and you'll see 10 different top 10 players lists. Sometimes they aren't even close! Just today I've seen Mercilus in the top 25 in one list and in the 4th round in another. If these so called experts can't get it right, or at least even close, how the hell are we supposed to? It's no wonder 1/2 the teams in the top 20 want to trade back; they have no clue either!

I just read the Jets may trade up Trent Richardson. $$$$ move.

The draft includes a lot of luck and I'm hoping the Pats get damned lucky.

The draft includes a lot of luck and I'm hoping the Pats get damned lucky.

Thought the Colts were getting the luck. JK

Anyway, I enjoy reading this even though I don't watch much college football and really have no clue. It is really interesting how analyst and fans will spin a player to fit the team they project them to go to. One guy might say this LB has short arms and another guy completely ignores the arms length and says the guy has great instincts and upper body strength. It really is a crap shoot.

What I really look forward too is the after-the-draft analysis when I read about the potential sleepers and steals we got (hopefully) because other teams drafted out of desperation and we drafted from a position of power.

Thank you all for posting this info. It is fascinating. Now I can't wait to see what happens.

Back