2019 Draft Prospects

If Jeffery Simmons free falls some team is going to get a steal.

Agreed but waiting a year for him impacts his value. Would BB do that with our current DL staff? He might. I'm also considering the high pick rookies who have gone on IR and lost an entire year in recent years as something that may make BB lean towards "no" on a player you know will miss the first year, especially if it's 32. Still, a top 10 player at 32 is great value which BB covets; it would be just like him to pick Simmons if he falls that far.

Note to BB: If you take Simmons --> no 'Jordan Richards' type pick in the 2nd. Make em all count.

I've been reading a lot that Lock is a good fit for the Pats.
I don't see it. Lock = Bortles. No thanks. Maybe Grier.

I'm also seeing a lot of hype for Daniel Jones recently. Absurd. But the NFL Network loves Daniel Jones. The NFL loved Tannehill, Ponder, Locker and Bortles, too, and where are they now. Jones has had the best coaching all the way and he's still not that good & he's topped out in my mind. He attended the Manning Camp for years yet you don't hear Peyton or Eli singing his praises.

I could be wrong but I'd rather BB draft a superior raw talent like Tyree Jackson, who hasn't had great coaching - get him, mold him like clay from the bottom up and push him to develop behind TB. THAT is upside and the definition of value added!! One thing's for sure, TJ would be the talk of Training Camp.

For me, Murray is worthy of a 1st rnd pick and Haskins will be taken by some team in the 1st rnd. None of these other guys should be in the discussion as worthy 1st round picks. JMHO.

I'm also seeing a lot of hype for Daniel Jones recently. Absurd. But the NFL Network loves Daniel Jones. The NFL loved Tannehill, Ponder, Locker and Bortles, too, and where are they now. Jones has had the best coaching all the way and he's still not that good & he's topped out in my mind. He attended the Manning Camp for years yet you don't hear Peyton or Eli singing his praises.

I could be wrong but I'd rather BB draft a superior raw talent like Tyree Jackson, who hasn't had great coaching - get him, mold him like clay from the bottom up and push him to develop behind TB. THAT is upside and the definition of value added!! One thing's for sure, TJ would be the talk of Training Camp.

For me, Murray is worthy of a 1st rnd pick and Haskins will be taken by some team in the 1st rnd. None of these other guys should be in the discussion as worthy 1st round picks. JMHO.

Ponder had the perfect last name...what could have been. Oh wait, I meant...Mrs. Ponder... :coffee:

Players attending the NFL Draft in 16 days.

Below is the full list of expected prospect attendees:
» Josh Allen, LB, Kentucky
» Deandre Baker, DB, Georgia
» Nick Bosa, DE, Ohio State
» Marquise Brown, WR, Oklahoma
» Brian Burns, DE, Florida State
» Devin Bush, LB, Michigan
» Andre Dillard, OT, Washington State
» Noah Fant, TE, Iowa
» Cody Ford, OT, Oklahoma
» T.J. Hockenson, TE, Iowa
» Josh Jacobs, RB, Alabama
» Daniel Jones, QB, Duke
» Drew Lock, QB, Missouri
» D.K. Metcalf, WR, Ole Miss
» Kyler Murray, QB, Oklahoma
» Ed Oliver, DT, Houston
» Montez Sweat, DE, Mississippi State
» Jawaan Taylor, OT, Florida
» Devin White, LB, LSU
» Christian Wilkins, DT, Clemson
» Greedy Williams, CB, LSU
» Jonah Williams, OT, Alabama
» Quinnen Williams, DT, Alabama

Daniel Jones and Will Grier in for visits.

I don’t think it’s the right draft for QB.

But I could be alright with Grier in the late 3rd or 4th I guess.

I have already stated that I think Grier is better than some of the guys ranked higher and both Lock and Jones fit that description.

I am interested in Jackson, though. He would seem to have size (he's huge) and arm strength that can't be taught but consistency and accuracy issues that (maybe) can be. He'd be an interesting selection, for sure and nobody is going to expect anything out of him-- which is something a lot of rookie QBs end up wishing were the case for them.

Some scouts are saying he's a project, but has the biggest upside of any QB in the draft. He's typically projected as a mid-round prospect.

I'm thinking somebody is going higher than that and it could be us. Maybe one our late 3's.

I have already stated that I think Grier is better than some of the guys ranked higher and both Lock and Jones fit that description.

I am interested in Jackson, though. He would seem to have size (he's huge) and arm strength that can't be taught but consistency and accuracy issues that (maybe) can be. He'd be an interesting selection, for sure and nobody is going to expect anything out of him-- which is something a lot of rookie QBs end up wishing were the case for them.

Some scouts are saying he's a project, but has the biggest upside of any QB in the draft. He's typically projected as a mid-round prospect.

I'm thinking somebody is going higher than that and it could be us. Maybe one our late 3's.

The only thing that gives me pause on Jackson, is he has a sloooooow delivery. Watching his film, he also tends to stand a lot in the pocket. Now some of that could be the team he was on, but his arm strength is amazing and he is huge. Hell who knows what translates to the NFl though.

Bill Belichick: Tough to project college passing games to the NFL

Posted by Michael David Smith on April 11, 2019, 5:22 AM EDT

Patriots coach Bill Belichick offered some insight into just how difficult it is to watch film of college passing games and project how those players will play in the NFL.

Belichick said the passing offenses in college football are so different that it makes it hard to evaluate not only quarterbacks, but everyone else as well.

“I’d say the issue in college football is there just is not the same passing game in college football that there is in the NFL, period,” Belichick said. “So, it’s hard to evaluate the receivers, it’s hard to evaluate the quarterback, it’s hard to evaluate the offensive linemen, it’s hard to evaluate the pass rushers and it’s hard to evaluate the coverage players. You know, we’re all looking at the same film, so all the teams in the league, we all see the same games. But, the college passing game is very different from the professional passing game. When you’re looking at it, you’re looking at a lot of it’s really projecting all those positions a little bit differently. To a certain degree, it’s different in the running game, too, but probably less difference in the running game than in the passing game, in my opinion.”

College passing concepts are making their way to the NFL and will continue to with Kliff Kingsbury now coaching the Cardinals. But the differences are still significant, and that makes scouting players a challenge.

The only thing that gives me pause on Jackson, is he has a sloooooow delivery. Watching his film, he also tends to stand a lot in the pocket. Now some of that could be the team he was on, but his arm strength is amazing and he is huge. Hell who knows what translates to the NFl though.

Good article with videos of Tyree Jackson in action. Nothing slow about him to me. He has good instincts to manage the pocket, he can throw on the run, he throws rockets and his down field accuracy is really good. To top it off, he learned the QB position from watching Youtube videos. Imagine giving him a real NFL coach for expert instruction...
There is no need to overthink this. The guy who can make any throw while managing pressure in the pocket is worth taking a chance on. I see great potential in Jackson if the value is there...2nd or 3rd rnd...hell yeah.

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2019/01/nfl-draft-tyree-jackson-scouting-report-height-senior-bowl

Is the N silent?:confused:

What the fvck....:sulk:
I think the n followed by another consonant beginning a word in some languages is like when a French word ends in a consonant (other than b,c,f,k,l,q,r) especially if it is preceded by another consonant. If you think about pronouncing the t in restaurant, the d in nord, the g in sang, etc, but don't actually say it out loud, you'll pronounce the word correctly.

Just prepare you mouth as if you were going to pronounce the n but at the last microsecond just say simba.

I think the n followed by another consonant beginning a word in some languages is like when a French word ends in a consonant (other than b,c,f,k,l,q,r) especially if it is preceded by another consonant. If you think about pronouncing the t in restaurant, the d in nord, the g in sang, etc, but don't actually say it out loud, you'll pronounce the word correctly.

Just prepare you mouth as if you were going to pronounce the n but at the last microsecond just say simba.

What about "Nguyen" sounding like "nWin"?

And who was the person that decided that is how a Vietnamese name should be spelled?

What about "Nguyen" sounding like "nWin"?

And who was the person that decided that is how a Vietnamese name should be spelled?

Good question.

One of the mildly traumatic events of my childhood was when I lost, somewhat ironically, in the finals of a spelling bee to a Vietnamese girl whose last name was spelled Ng and pronounced "Ing".

It was a helluva battle that went into sudden death OT, but I eventually augered in and she took home the glory.

Good article with videos of Tyree Jackson in action. Nothing slow about him to me. He has good instincts to manage the pocket, he can throw on the run, he throws rockets and his down field accuracy is really good. To top it off, he learned the QB position from watching Youtube videos. Imagine giving him a real NFL coach for expert instruction...
There is no need to overthink this. The guy who can make any throw while managing pressure in the pocket is worth taking a chance on. I see great potential in Jackson if the value is there...2nd or 3rd rnd...hell yeah.

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2019/01/nfl-draft-tyree-jackson-scouting-report-height-senior-bowl

Didnt say he was slow, his delivery was slow. It takes longer for him to throw the ball, he does not have a fast delivery in his arm motion. Its literally one of the knocks on him. Again though, things can be taught, but how long does that take? Not sure. I think the pats would have to change their offense for him, which might be the case with anyone.

Didnt say he was slow, his delivery was slow. It takes longer for him to throw the ball, he does not have a fast delivery in his arm motion. Its literally one of the knocks on him. Again though, things can be taught, but how long does that take? Not sure. I think the pats would have to change their offense for him, which might be the case with anyone.

One thing the Pats do often in the draft is take guys who they feel are undervalued because they need some form of development. Maybe other teams are looking for instant gratification, but the Pats are quite patient for the most part and there are tons of examples.

When Brady is finally done I'd expect that we will do what we always do. Try to find a way to win even if it does require a significant change in the offensive approach. We don't even copy ourselves. Every year sees some tinkering depending on what the players we have at the time can do.

Having said that, we don't know if a huge change in the system would be necessary for Jackson. He moves pretty well in the pocket for somebody as big as he is and is fairly advanced at back-shoulder throws -- both Brady staples. He admits the need to improve and is said to be working hard on mechanical issues to help his accuracy and shorten his throwing motion.

People forget that Brady wasn't Brady initially, but showed game management skills that were off the charts right from the start. He took a while to add zip on the ball, move in the pocket better and expand his range and he's never stopped working on anything.

I don't know much about Jackson as a person, but I'm intrigued by him. If he's got at least some of the same inner drive that Tom has then he could end up being a monster.

Very few guys come into this league without needing to fix things. Name a guy and chances are he had question marks about something.

One thing the Pats do often in the draft is take guys who they feel are undervalued because they need some form of development. Maybe other teams are looking for instant gratification, but the Pats are quite patient for the most part and there are tons of examples.

When Brady is finally done I'd expect that we will do what we always do. Try to find a way to win even if it does require a significant change in the offensive approach. We don't even copy ourselves. Every year sees some tinkering depending on what the players we have at the time can do.

Having said that, we don't know if a huge change in the system would be necessary for Jackson. He moves pretty well in the pocket for somebody as big as he is and is fairly advanced at back-shoulder throws -- both Brady staples. He admits the need to improve and is said to be working hard on mechanical issues to help his accuracy and shorten his throwing motion.

People forget that Brady wasn't Brady initially, but showed game management skills that were off the charts right from the start. He took a while to add zip on the ball, move in the pocket better and expand his range and he's never stopped working on anything.

I don't know much about Jackson as a person, but I'm intrigued by him. If he's got at least some of the same inner drive that Tom has then he could end up being a monster.

Very few guys come into this league without needing to fix things. Name a guy and chances are he had question marks about something.

You touched on a few things regarding the QB position and I think we could toy with the idea of categorically ranking them.

I think it’s this:

1a. Drive- is the desire to be the best at his craft nearly all-consuming. If yes, many shortcomings can be overcome. Possibly even turned to strengths.

1b. Leadership- can he lead men. Do they go to battle for him.

2. Brains- does he process efficiently.

3. Accuracy- can he hit his spots.

4. Release- does it come out fast.

5. Pocket presence- can he manipulate a pocket. Slide, step, avoid a rush, and passively extend a play.

6. Arm Strength- can he hit all throws.

7. Scramble- can he take off.

Failure for the 1s or 2 immediately takes him off the board. Having 1s and 2, plus any number of the subsequent would determine the Round value. A 1 should show signs of all, albeit with room to grow and improve.

Back