2019 Draft - WR Prospects The Patriots Way

Below is the Pats current depth chart (Our Lads) for a little positional perspective. It's not all gloom and doom. That's a solid core of players.

Add through free agency or the draft:

a starting WR (or 2),

a couple of developmental DLs,

a swing tackle,

a developmental FS and

a developmental G (Thuney's contract is up after this year)

and the Pats are set.

D4BpPDcWwAAxx3q.jpg:large

It’s certainly doom & gloom from a WR group. Picture an injury to a 32 yr old absolutely pounded Edelman. I don’t even know if Morris or Ellington make a final roster. I mean, what if they lose another hammie?

I’ve never seen a position group this misplayed in the Belichick Era.

PFF likes him in the 1st rnd. Tyreek Hill comparisons.
<iframe src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/1RNlHjw8pIU" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen="" width="560" height="315" frameborder="0"></iframe>

I personally have about 3 players for the 1st, if available, ahead of Isabella. I won’t go Hockenesen et al, players definitely not there at 32.

But Simmons may drop. I love Lawrence. And I’d put Hakeem Butler ahead of Isabella.

But he’s next. So explosive. I think he’s plug and play Day One production.

It’s certainly doom & gloom from a WR group. Picture an injury to a 32 yr old absolutely pounded Edelman. I don’t even know if Morris or Ellington make a final roster. I mean, what if they lose another hammie?

I’ve never seen a position group this misplayed in the Belichick Era.

Agree on Morris & Ellington.

I don't know. We were pretty thin before BB signed Moss & Welker. BB always finds a way. I'm concerned but not really worried.

Agree on Morris & Ellington.

I don't know. We were pretty thin before BB signed Moss & Welker. BB always finds a way. I'm concerned but not really worried.

If Gordon is out I’m very worried. Jules is the only true reliable production guy. If I’m the opposition I’m doubling him and hitting him as hard as possible. Even a personal foul or 3.

With him out, yikes.

And I think we’re asking a lot for a rookie WR to come in and give us major production.

Think the Pats are cooking up a trade similar to the Trent Brown trade except for a decent veteran WR?

The rookie WR success rate has to be considered to low.

Think the Pats are cooking up a trade similar to the Trent Brown trade except for a decent veteran WR?

The rookie WR success rate has to be considered to low.

They've been trying to with no success.

MMitchell did pretty well. :shrug_n:

How many top-tier WRs were drafted outside the top-20 in the last 18 years, per team?

I think the real question is how many top tier WR have been on super bowl wining teams in the past decade. Most overrated position in the nfl. We are all wasting worry on this.

Good question.

I’m not even looking top tier though. I’d settle for singles.

My point is, these guys don't grow on trees, and yet the Patriots are excoriated over not finding one - yet no one else can either, and it's ok.

It's talk radio shit, and I hate talk radio shit.

---------- Post added at 04:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:33 PM ----------

I think the real question is how many top tier WR have been on super bowl wining teams in the past decade. Most overrated position in the nfl. We are all wasting worry on this.

I mean, that's the other half of it. But even setting that aside, how many true 'ones' have come from a position where the Patriots could reasonably draft from?

There’s been a few.

Keenan Allen comes to mind. He’s in his prime. Would sure look great here.

The Stealers whole WR corps typically.

Tyreek, though probably off their board - no character.

I get the argument that SB winning teams haven't had a ton of blue-chip draft choice WRs.

However, I can't wrap my brain around the notion that a guy like that, assuming he can do the required Vulcan mind-meld with Brady, couldn't make our offense be significantly better.

The second we lose Edelman this offense is toast the way it's presently constructed. James White isn't going to be able to sneak out on a LB and Sony isn't going to get an extra yard per carry because defenses won't bother doubling anybody and will be looking for him.

Seriously, who is going to need to be doubled with no Gronk and a hypothetical lack of Julian?

So maybe we don't get a Julio or an Antonio, but maybe it's not so unthinkable that Bill would love to have a big-ass Hakeem outside the hashes to make life more manageable for everybody else.

Just because we've never drafted a guy with his size profile doesn't mean Bill wouldn't do it this year if he sees something in a guy. The man has no absolute rules when it comes to the draft, except he'll try to help the team as much as possible with every move he makes.

Back