2022 Winter Olympics

Muse

Paleface
Reaction score
The games have started or will start all depending if you are watching live or not.

Who is watching? What is your favorite competition? Athletes to look out for?

Attachments

• download (1).jpeg
    download (1).jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 5
I'll watch some. But I'm kinda sad that I just can't care about the Olympics as much as I once did.

Cheers

It, for me, is not watching it live. Knowing in advance who won and what medal takes the WOW for me.

It, for me, is not watching it live. Knowing in advance who won and what medal takes the WOW for me.
Peacock app has live feeds.

Normally I wouldn't have noticed, but Spectrum gave it to me free for a year, so w/e.

Will ignore them this time. IMO we shouldn't even be there. China should not be hosting for reasons that are evident.

As a result, I will be ignoring this thread going forward.

For those that watch, have fun.

The NBC Sports app is the best app for the Olympics for anyone that watches. Every event is available, both live and replays. No dvr needed.

My wife really likes the Winter Games, so I see more of it than I would otherwise.

I'm ignoring the politics of it for the time being and enjoy some of the events. The downhill is my favorite, but a recent event
that is entertaining is the Snowboard Cross.

Speaking of snowboard, I was watching a women's event last night and noticed that the participants all seem to speak the
same quasi-hippie dialect. The American girls tended to physically resemble each other as well and used similar body language.

Is THC a banned substance? Oh, nevermind, it was just a thought.

Anyone see the train wreck today with the Russian women figure skaters?

I feel for these girls.

For those that don't watch much.

The Russians are known dopers.

The 15 year old Russian skater, potentially one of the best ever, was failed a drug test with heart drugs around last Xmas. This was announced during the competition after she had killed it the short program.

Today was the conclusion and the long program.

She fell multiple times and then got berated by her evil coach. She completely broke down.

She ended up coming in 4th.

Meanwhile two other Russians got 1st and 2nd. The gold winner said she felt empty and she certainly didn't look happy.

The silver winner went off on everyone yelling and crying about how she hates the sport and never wants to step on the ice again.

It's tragic all around.

Anyone see the train wreck today with the Russian women figure skaters?

I feel for these girls.

For those that don't watch much.

The Russians are known dopers.

The 15 year old Russian skater, potentially one of the best ever, was failed a drug test with heart drugs around last Xmas. This was announced during the competition after she had killed it the short program.

Today was the conclusion and the long program.

She fell multiple times and then got berated by her evil coach. She completely broke down.

She ended up coming in 4th.

Meanwhile two other Russians got 1st and 2nd. The gold winner said she felt empty and she certainly didn't look happy.

The silver winner went off on everyone yelling and crying about how she hates the sport and never wants to step on the ice again.

It's tragic all around.
I'm guessing it's not a pleasant experience for those athletes in communist countries (unless you win and don't question the government)
the ages on the figure skaters and gymnasts is ridiculous. Saw an article - I think SI.com but I don't pay so I can see it - that called for age limits.
For those other skaters, the scandal, they may lose team gold I believe, what a mess.

Women's curling. Love it and I don't know why. Already watching.

View attachment 9395
I don't care for the mens, but ladies I'm all for (especially Sweden, Denmark, those countries!)
reminded me that during the last summer Olympics, the ladies handball became a much watch.... especially Norway vs. Sweden :hump:

This article explains the events of today better than I did.

This article explains the events of today better than I did.

More on that disastrous scene. I can't imagine the Russians being allowed to skate. Even worse was the underscoring of the Japanese and Korean skaters.
I feel badly for these kids...their coaches used them and then failed them in the end by turning their backs on the kids.

Olympic figure skater Kamila Valieva was failed by the system, adults

FLi95C2XEAMbDD1

FLzpQpzUcAoUQo_

Sad and sitting all alone with her teddy bear, you wouldn't know from this picture that Anna Shcherbakova just won the gold medal.

Those to blame should be ashamed - the ISU, the Olympic Committee, the Anti-Doping Agency and most of all the immoral, unethical Russian coaches who abused these kids.
That "irreparable harm" the IOC was concerned about for the skaters has, instead, become a hammer blow to the IOC itself.

My wife is into it for some reason, so I've watched more than I would have otherwise, but.....a couple of things:

1. The time difference sucks. I would have watched US/Canada womens hockey, but I wasn't willing to stay up until 1AM.

2. Sports sucks when there aren't fans. It's just not the same and China has made sure that the atmosphere is sterile and weird
and nobody can blame them for the pandemic that they are responsible for. We know somebody whose parents paid big money
for tickets and were told they couldn't go at the last minute. No refund and we're not sorry. I can't wait for our athletes to get
back on US soil and tell their stories because there are tons of them to be told that you won't ever hear on NBC.

3. Judges. I don't care for sports with judges. I'll take a scoreboard or a finish line any time.

4. I enjoyed snowboard cross the best this year. Exciting to watch and unpredictable. The mixed relay was an interesting idea.

5. I don't care for torture sports where athletes collapse at the finish line, i.e., cross country skiing.

6. Friends don't let friends train their whole lives to be on an Olympic short-track speed skating team and then has all of that wiped out
when somebody else slips. Too bad, so sad.

7. Everybody knows the Russians are all doped up. Watch the documentary on the topic. It's a joke to allow them to compete.
The 15 year-old chick who got bounced was spectacular to watch skate, but God only knows if she was hatched from a test tube in Putin's basement.
Does she know what's going on? I doubt it.

8. China sucks. Their athletes appear to be the most miserable people on earth and the cheerleaders forced to wave pompoms with
painful smiles plastered on their mugs are creepy as hell. I watched one of their skaters (I think) win Gold and he looked at the
scoreboard with zero reaction or emotion. At least our kids aren't afraid to smile. You think China is cool, kids? It's a totalitarian
hellscape no matter how hard they spin it. North Korea on steroids.

9. Curling is a great TV sport. I enjoyed that one and almost understand it now.

10. Who cares about total medals? You'd have to give golds at least 5 points, silvers 3 and bronze 1. Canada had about 20 bronze
last time I checked.

I look forward to Norway's Super Bowl being over. See you folks in a couple years in God knows where.

Back