49ers Fan Sues NFL for $50 million

PatsFan09

Done. And. Done.
Reaction score
You know, I usually find these kinds of cases frivolous, but in this case, I actually agree with the fan. It should be completely illegal for the NFL to prohibit people from outside of a certain region to buy tickets; in this case, it allowed Seattle to have the most lopsided home field advantage of all time.
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/1...sues-nfl-50m-seattle-seahawks-playoff-tickets

49er fan sues NFL over playoff tickets
Updated: April 27, 2014, 6:20 PM ET
Associated Press

RENO, Nev. -- John E. Williams III has been a San Francisco 49ers fan since John Brodie was throwing touchdown passes at Candlestick Park in the 1970s. So he was excited about the prospects of scoring a ticket to make the trip to Seattle in January to watch the rivals battle in the NFC Championship Game.

But the Las Vegas man says in a $50 million lawsuit against the NFL that his hopes were dashed by the league and others he accuses of engaging in "economic discrimination" with an illegal ticket policy limiting credit-card sales to selected pro-Seattle markets. His lawsuit filed in U.S. District Court in Las Vegas says it was part of an effort to keep 49ers fans away and further promote the Seattle Seahawks' boisterous home-field advantage at CenturyLink Field.

"They're always boasting up there about their 12th player and everything else," Williams told The Associated Press on Friday. "But by allowing the NFL to decide who can or cannot attend the games, you make it an unfair game. Seattle fixed it."

Williams, who works as a promoter in the entertainment industry, said that because the NFL relies heavily on public subsidies and money from taxpayers to build stadiums it should not be allowed to deny ticket sales to individuals on the basis they are "not from an area determined by the team -- or the NFL -- to be fan of that team."

"The practice of withholding the sale of tickets from the public at large and allowing only credit card holders limited to certain areas is a violation of the Federal Consumer Fraud Act and/or common law," according to the lawsuit filed April 15.

In the case of January's game, the Seahawks limited ticket sales only to credit cards with addresses in the states of Washington, Oregon, Montana, Idaho, Alaska and Hawaii, as well as the Canadian provinces of British Columbia and Alberta.

As a result, he said, he suffered "economic discrimination and violation of public accommodation solely" because his credit card was not issued in the restrictive states or Canada -- "which is not even part of the United States."

"This selected process is contrary to the spirit of the NFL and contrary to public accommodation," said Williams, who is seeking $10 million in punitive damages on top of $40 million in real damages.

Brian McCarthy, the NFL's vice president of communications, said the league has no comment on the lawsuit.

Officials for California-based Ticketmaster, which is now part of Live Nation Entertainment Inc., and the Seahawks did not immediately respond to requests for comment.

Williams said he had made up his mind that if San Francisco beat the Carolina Panthers in a semifinal game, he was going to buy tickets to the NFC title game in Seattle for himself, his roommate, a girlfriend who lives in Canada and her daughter.

San Francisco beat Carolina 23-10, then lost at Seattle 23-17.

"I live in Las Vegas, but I'm originally from San Francisco. I've seen John Brodie back in the day, and Joe Montana. I really wanted to go up there to see the Niners," Williams said. "I think the tickets should be sold on a first-come, first-served basis, not based on who they want in the crowd."

The Seahawks are a private company and can sell to whomever they choose to. It's a crappy way to do business (limiting customers), but there's nothing wrong with it.

The plaintiff may be a crybaby, but he raises a legal question that has implications for the NFL's anti-trust waiver that seems worth a court's time. The idea that the Seahawks are an independent private business that can do whatever it wants may well be in violation of at least the spirit of the NFL's anti-trust waiver.

Hurry. Hurry, Hurry! Join the Legal Lottery. You can't win if you don't play. You never know what cockamamie idea will win. Payoffs are huge. Hurry, Hurry, Hurry.

I tried to buy Bruins/Habs tickets and they were sold out 5 seconds after they went on sale. I am suing the Bruins for $50MM because they denied me the "right" to buy their product. 'Merica.

I tried to buy Bruins/Habs tickets and they were sold out 5 seconds after they went on sale. I am suing the Bruins for $50MM because they denied me the "right" to buy their product. 'Merica.

"In Litigation We Trust"

All this is another loser trying a get rich quick scheme. Tickets were 400 to 2,000 for that game . How does he come up with 50 million.

All this is another loser trying a get rich quick scheme. Tickets were 400 to 2,000 for that game . How does he come up with 50 million.
Well clearly it was from pain and suffering, due to emotional distress. Hopefully the 50 mil will help the poor guy to begin the healing process.

:coffee:

The $50M figure is mainly to get the attention of the NFL and the court, prety much the necessary SOP when an individual sues a large corporate entity and, at this point, is of little relevance to actual damages. A number that high means that the NFL can't just ignore the suit or they'll risk a very expensive summary judgement.

It's really a two-parter. First, the court must decide if the plaintiff, indeed, suffered damages. If that part goes the plaintiff's way, then there's sort of a second phase in which the court decides what actual $ amount might due.

Given the antitrust implications, the NFL might be better off paying the guy a million or so settlement to avoid having those issues raised in open court.

He has a great point i give him that. If they pay him off Every person . That could not buy tickets for a game will be looking for damages. NFL will end up paying out millions.

The amount is asinine, but the concept isn't. The NFL's antitrust status should mean that anyone, anywhere should be able to buy tickets.

I don't follow your argument.

How does their anti-trust status play a role?

It was my understanding that the anti-trust exemption was limited to the broadcast of games, not ticket sales.

Well clearly it was from pain and suffering, due to emotional distress. Hopefully the 50 mil will help the poor guy to begin the healing process.

:coffee:
oh the heartache.... ROFL
Posted via Mobile Device

:D

You'll have a better shot at this than you did at having Tuukka deported after game one.

:)

:tongue:

Count me in. I tried to get tickets for that game, too, because I'm such a big fan of...what team was it again? #showmethemoney
Posted via Mobile Device

denied because of limited number of tickets not because you were a fan of a certain team.

I only see this as a valid reason for limiting tickets when either the Jets or Raiders fans are included, the stink they bring made Dead Concerts seem like a sunday sermon.

All I know is if the Pats lose the Super Bowl this year, I'm totally suing. Disappointment has got to be worth at least $10MM.

All I know is if the Pats lose the Super Bowl this year, I'm totally suing. Disappointment has got to be worth at least $10MM.
Don't forget to sue for 10 mill emotional distress over Spygate. No fan thinks the pats can win without cheating

Back