Andrew Luck had an ?uneven? training camp

Luck hasn't really done anything other than be a stand-up and down-to-earth guy. It's the 24/7 mediots that tried to crown him before he had done anything.

Luck is just a great kid and I feel badly for him that his progress has been limited due to the befuddled Irsay's support of the incompetent Grigson who has marched Indy backwards over the last couple of seasons.

I'd say the Colts have zero shot at being .500 this season and Luck has little chance of being what he could be due to lack of talent and vision by Grigson and, I believe, a very pedestrian job of coaching by Pagano and his staff.

Luck knew that the only way that team could win is if he carried them and he overreached, at times, trying to do exactly that and fell into some bad habits.

A lot of teams have everything they need to win but a QB. The Colts are the rare flip-side to that scenario.

I'm not going to hate Luck just because most of us here hated Peyton. I really feel bad for the guy.

I'm not going to hate Luck just because most of us here hated Peyton. I really feel bad for the guy.

I don't get the sense anyone here hates Luck but I absolutely loathe the Dolts and have ZERO respect for their whiny, ratty, tanking org headed by their pill popping owner and slimy GM. Unfortunately for Luck he plays for those dirt bags so by extension I hope he loses every single game he ever plays. I hope his contract is the albatross it is designed to be with slimy Grigson continuing to put a sub par team around him. It is nothing personal against Luck just the loathsome team he plays for.

I don't get the sense anyone here hates Luck but I absolutely loathe the Dolts and have ZERO respect for their whiny, ratty, tanking org headed by their pill popping owner and slimy GM. Unfortunately for Luck he plays for those dirt bags so by extension I hope he loses every single game he ever plays. I hope his contract is the albatross it is designed to be with slimy Grigson continuing to put a sub par team around him. It is nothing personal against Luck just the loathsome team he plays for.

Oh, the hate is pure in you.

:dbanana:

It's understandable. I'd bet 90% of our fan base feels like you do.

I guess I'm a sucker for effort. I've seen Luck trying to come back from that punctured kidney or whatever it was and he stood in that pocket and got his brains beaten out, but I never saw him turtle once. Or blame anybody afterwards.

You put that guy behind an offense that could pass block and get open and nobody would be calling him overrated.

I think he still has the untapped potential to be a top-tier quarterback.
I suppose anyone who isn't a top-tier has the potential if you ignore what they've done in the NFL thus far.

No one's blaming him for not living up to the hype, but almost everyone can see that he hasn't.

If he'd been treated like Ryan Tannehill coming out of college, then we could all agree that he fully lived up to his potential. But just because of hype machine called him the the best young QB in forever is no reason we should believe it when he proves otherwise.

I guess I'm a sucker for effort. I've seen Luck trying to come back from that punctured kidney or whatever it was and he stood in that pocket and got his brains beaten out, but I never saw him turtle once. Or blame anybody afterwards.
Drew Bledsoe played with broken fingers on his throwing hand. He went back into the game after the Mo Lewis hit and came out only when he was about to lose consciousness. He took big hits, including the Mo Lewis one, by staying in the pocket and not running out of bounds on scrambles. When he played in the Steeler playoff game after Brady was hurt, on his first series he got hit by Flowers in the same way as the Mo Lewis hit. It pumped him up and he played harder.

He never blamed anyone publicly for losing his job, mentored the man who took his job, and left full pages ads thanking the fans when he was traded to Buffalo, and on his return the first time as a Bill to play if Foxboro when asked by the media if he thought he would get booed, he said, "I'll assume they are saying DREW."

I loved him, and he turned the Pats franchise around, but I would never say he was at the Brady-Montana level. Ever.

You put that guy behind an offense that could pass block and get open and nobody would be calling him overrated.
I would, because he was over-rated coming out of college. It wasn't his fault he was over-rated, but he sure as hell was. He is simply not as good as advertised. A better choice than RGIII, and the best choice the year he was drafted, but he still was over-rated.

I suppose anyone who isn't a top-tier has the potential if you ignore what they've done in the NFL thus far.

No one's blaming him for not living up to the hype, but almost everyone can see that he hasn't.

If he'd been treated like Ryan Tannehill coming out of college, then we could all agree that he fully lived up to his potential. But just because of hype machine called him the the best young QB in forever is no reason we should believe it when he proves otherwise.

Jim Harbaugh is the biggest reason he was not treated like Tanny. I mean look at the production he got out of Alex Smith and then Krapernick. It is amazing to me that one one has ever connected that with Luck. He had maybe the best QB coach in Harbaugh and has yet to reach that potential again. And even under Harbaugh he still threw costly picks.

Jim Harbaugh is the biggest reason he was not treated like Tanny. I mean look at the production he got out of Alex Smith and then Krapernick. It is amazing to me that one one has ever connected that with Luck. He had maybe the best QB coach in Harbaugh and has yet to reach that potential again. And even under Harbaugh he still threw costly picks.

I think a lot of people here realize that Luck's success was because of Jim Harbaugh who schemed his offense around Luck's skill set. What I never understood was why Luck got all that hype for his physical ability when it was pretty evident his cognitive ability wasn't demonstrated on the field. It may be because he went to Stanford that the scouts simply assumed he was smart enough to make good decisions. Plus, at that time, Jim's rep with QBs wasn't yet solidified. As you pointed out, I think now we do know.

I think a lot of people here realize that Luck's success was because of Jim Harbaugh who schemed his offense around Luck's skill set. What I never understood was why Luck got all that hype for his physical ability when it was pretty evident his cognitive ability wasn't demonstrated on the field. It may be because he went to Stanford that the scouts simply assumed he was smart enough to make good decisions. Plus, at that time, Jim's rep with QBs wasn't yet solidified. As you pointed out, I think now we do know.

I think because Luck looked the part- big guy, athletic, good arm. And he had a great college career. Part of the hype machine though had to do with RG and what he was doing at Baylor. When the Colts were tanking there was much discussion/debate if they should take RG instead and it went to a fever pitch right before the draft. I also think because Luck went to Indy and replaced ManninHGH has also continued to feed the hype machine.

At this point I think it is time to pump the brakes big time. Many in the media are staring to do that. Many still talk of his potential but now say he has to go out and be that player on the field.

As a side note, if RG is somehow able to resurrect his career in Cleveland, he has been named the starter, Colts fans heads will explode. :dbanana:

I think because Luck looked the part- big guy, athletic, good arm. And he had a great college career. Part of the hype machine though had to do with RG and what he was doing at Baylor. When the Colts were tanking there was much discussion/debate if they should take RG instead and it went to a fever pitch right before the draft. I also think because Luck went to Indy and replaced ManninHGH has also continued to feed the hype machine.

At this point I think it is time to pump the brakes big time. Many in the media are staring to do that. Many still talk of his potential but now say he has to go out and be that player on the field.

As a side note, if RG is somehow able to resurrect his career in Cleveland, he has been named the starter, Colts fans heads will explode. :dbanana:

Good points about RGIII
Many here, including me, were never big fans of Luck.

I dunno, I believe in Luck every time I buy a lottery ticket. :harumph:

Trying my best to be a man of faith, I PRAY for Luck on the rare occasions when I buy a lottery ticket (not interested til it reaches a meaningful amount, like a half billion).

Cheers

Tom Moore is only known because of ManninHGH and helping to devise an offense that was a perfect fit for ManninHGH's simplistic mind yet allowed him to easily read a defense to get the team into the right play at least in the regular season anyways. Honestly, Pey Pey* had maybe the worst collection of coaches of any HoF QB. Indy was a JOKE before he got there and fast becoming a joke after his departure. While Luck has not had great coaches either, he has been hardly the number one pick/can't miss HoF talent he was billed to be.

Isn't that what Moore is supposed to do? Design an offense to his talent?

BB has won because he does that.

Does that make Manninghgh a system quarterback, just no TFB?

Cheers

Sure but it helps when you have one of the greatest QB of all time at your disposal. Bill has had that with Brady for sure. Walsh had it with Montana. Shanny with Elway. I am of the belief that the player makes the coach not the other way around. Luck has hurt his coaches with his indecision, poor accuracy and tendency to chuck it down field at all costs. This was glaring when Matty H came in last year at 40 years old and ran the offense the way it was supposed to and went 6-3 while Luck when 2-5.

I dunno, I believe in Luck every time I buy a lottery ticket. :harumph:
i believe it every time I buy a lady a drink in a fine establishment.

Sure but it helps when you have one of the greatest QB of all time at your disposal. Bill has had that with Brady for sure. Walsh had it with Montana. Shanny with Elway. I am of the belief that the player makes the coach not the other way around. Luck has hurt his coaches with his indecision, poor accuracy and tendency to chuck it down field at all costs. This was glaring when Matty H came in last year at 40 years old and ran the offense the way it was supposed to and went 6-3 while Luck when 2-5.
Brady takes coaching, but he also was never the number 1 pick. I think it is on the coaches who allow these bonehead mistakes time and time again.

Do you think Luck would have been a better player if drafted by a strong front office/coaching staff? Say the Belichick/Ernie Adams tandem of making the most of a player.

I agree a player makes a coach but a coach can influence a player. I think Arians had him playing at a high level. I think Pags is not a great coach and his amazing return, while a great story, hurt the Colts development. Arians would have made Lick a better QB. The Grigson led team and his personal pick of OC destroyed Luck with no OLine or running game. Come on they took Trent Richardson onto the team!!!

That cost Luck a boat load physically that hopefully he is over and used the time off to watch Hasselback on how to make decisions. I think he comes back big this year.

I guess I'm a sucker for effort.

Hugh Millen played most of 1993 with a separated shoulder. And he tried super-hard.

---------- Post added at 04:35 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:34 AM ----------

Yeah, lol, me too but it still has panned out.

Pro Football Focus Verified account ‏<s>@</s>PFF <small class="time"> Aug 9 </small> Best Accuracy Percentage in the NFL in 2015 (removing drops, spikes, throw aways):

Teddy Bridgewater, 80.2%

Worst: Andrew Luck, 65.9%

Bridgewater's gonna be a solid starter for many, many years to come.

i believe it every time I buy a lady a drink in a fine establishment.

Brady takes coaching, but he also was never the number 1 pick. I think it is on the coaches who allow these bonehead mistakes time and time again.

Do you think Luck would have been a better player if drafted by a strong front office/coaching staff? Say the Belichick/Ernie Adams tandem of making the most of a player.

I agree a player makes a coach but a coach can influence a player. I think Arians had him playing at a high level. I think Pags is not a great coach and his amazing return, while a great story, hurt the Colts development. Arians would have made Lick a better QB. The Grigson led team and his personal pick of OC destroyed Luck with no OLine or running game. Come on they took Trent Richardson onto the team!!!

That cost Luck a boat load physically that hopefully he is over and used the time off to watch Hasselback on how to make decisions. I think he comes back big this year.
I don't believe Bill would have touched Luck with a 10 foot pole. He hates QBs that turn over the ball and was the main reason he had his eye on Brady and took him despite already having 3 solid QBs on the roster in 2000.

Luck had his worst season under Arians - 18 Ints to 23 TDs and a boat load of fumbles. Arians down the field type of offense would have gotten Luck killed faster than Pagano has done. I like Arians a lot as a coach but any QB under his tutelage has been a punching dummy and that was the main reason they let him go (Pitt too) and went with Pagano.

I don't think Pagano has been a bad HC at all. He has had back-to-back 11 wins seasons and then went Luck went down for 9 games, he coached a 40 year old Matty H. to a 6-3 record and almost took the division, came down to the last game. His team plays hard for him and never quits. He has had some questionable assistants but that is more Grigson who wanted his staff there. Seems they have worked that out this past season with all the turn over under Pags.

I do think Grigson is a dink but I also think the Green Bay FO is just as clueless and yet Rodgers keeps rolling along because he is THAT good. I just don't see that at all in Luck. Maybe you are right, this could be the year he comes back to form but his uneven TC is not a great sign for his season to come.

I don't think Pagano has been a bad HC at all. He has had back-to-back 11 wins seasons and then went Luck went down for 9 games, he coached a 40 year old Matty H. to a 6-3 record and almost took the division, came down to the last game.

Those back-to-back seasons were played in a division where the other three teams had 27 total wins over those two years, 16 of those by the Texans.

Andrew Luck's Career Record: 38-23.

vs. AFC South: 17-2
vs. Everyone Else: 21-21

Back