Anthony Bourdain Has Died

It might be interesting to some, but I happened across an episode of his travel and food show, whatever it was called, and Bourdain happened to be in some very poor country in Central America where he had ingested some incredibly gross looking concoction that involved fermented goat milk and curds of something and afterwards he was doing a bit with him just sitting at a small table at a rundown looking cafe drinking booze and talking about the country and all of a sudden he shifted gears and got really serious and said something like "I mean....what the hell am I doing here? These people have absolutely nothing and I'm a rich foreigner here to exploit their culture for the amusement of people who don't care about them in the slightest...." . Suddenly I was paying attention.

He appeared very morose and more than a little drunk and it really struck me at the time. I'd never seen anything like that in all of the similar shows that are out there and it made me wonder about the guy whose show I'd only seen a few times and considered it to be background noise while I did something else. It made me respect him more, but I don't know if that monologue was typical for him or what factors contributed to his suicide, but I thought it was a very poignant moment. Possibly telling. I couldn't believe that they kept it in the show.

RIP

He took to the #metoo movement because his chick was a victim of it.

played the arrogant ass well, too bad this happened, he was the original Food Tv Rock star.

He got his start in Provincetown.

<iframe src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/9SoPrwBCpyo" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen="" width="560" height="315" frameborder="0"></iframe>

Link to Globe article.

Chef, author and TV show host Anthony Bourdain is dead at age 61.
Apparently it was suicide.
Very sad.

It's very hard for me to understand why these "people who have everything" kill themselves. Hernandez, for ex, makes sense since his life was basically over. But Bourdain seemed to have it all in terms of what people generally strive for: money, fame. Really makes one rethink what will give happiness in life.:frown:

It's very hard for me to understand why these "people who have everything" kill themselves. Hernandez, for ex, makes sense since his life was basically over. But Bourdain seemed to have it all in terms of what people generally strive for: money, fame. Really makes one rethink what will give happiness in life.:frown:
sadly I assume he had internal demons that were calling, Who would think Robin Williams was so distraught behind all those tears of laughter?

sadly I assume he had internal demons that were calling, Who would think Robin Williams was so distraught behind all those tears of laughter?

From what I understand about Williams, he had been diagnosed with a brain disease that would have caused him to progressively lose his mental functioning. Terminal illness I can understand as a reason for suicide, but AFAIK Bourdain was physically healthy.

From what I understand about Williams, he had been diagnosed with a brain disease that would have caused him to progressively lose his mental functioning. Terminal illness I can understand as a reason for suicide, but AFAIK Bourdain was physically healthy.
I think that no one commits suicide without a compelling reason, like that life has become unbearable for some reason. It might be a real-life reason that others could relate to, or it could be what we see as total nonsense, but their reasons are real to them.

It is hard for me to believe that some kind of mental illness isn't involved in most suicides.

It is really sad.

My Wife is heartbroken. She loved this guy. She was very fond of a singer from a band called Frightened Rabbit that just killed himself also about a month ago.

The wife and I both enjoyed watching his show and will miss him even if he was an arrogant prick. Of all the people on tv he was the last person i'd think would have committed suicide. Something I found fascinating about him was that he never drank at home, only while doing his show.

RIP Anthony Bourdain

Very sad to hear this. He was a character.

Had some lovely words about my home city as well when he was here.

"If you've got any kind of a heart, a soul, an appreciation for your fellow man, or any kind of appreciation for the written word, or simply a love of a perfectly poured beverage, then there's no way you could avoid loving this city."
- Anthony Bourdain on Dublin. R.I.P.

Very sad to hear this. He was a character.

Had some lovely words about my home city as well when he was here.
I remember that show and those words, for someone that didn't drink at home he sure could indulge while on the road.

Back