Any good tips

LOL yup The lady next to me goes is that the quiet guy? LOL I said sure is! ;)

You just caught me by surprise LOL

I gave her a couple of metal file holder thingies before we moved :)

Sorry, I was just trying to help. I'll shut up now. :confused:

nah I was kidding with you, thats a great story, I was just meaning she smoked for a long time and still made it to an old age...

Really, really, really, really BAD time to try to quit smoking, IMO. You need at least 3 full months to get that sh.t out of your system before the first game kicks off (Annihilus speaks from experience). Really, it's not so much about the physical addiction, but the mental habits that you form when smoking (smoking after dinner, smoking after a long drive, smoking during the commercial breaks, whatever). Those are toughest to break.

tmack is right, though. You just have to stop (and WANT to stop). The prescriptions only help with the physical cravings.

Really, really, really, really BAD time to try to quit smoking, IMO. You need at least 3 full months to get that sh.t out of your system before the first game kicks off (Annihilus speaks from experience). Really, it's not so much about the physical addiction, but the mental habits that you form when smoking (smoking after dinner, smoking after a long drive, smoking during the commercial breaks, whatever). Those are toughest to break.

tmack is right, though. You just have to stop (and WANT to stop). The prescriptions only help with the physical cravings.

I went through 3 packs in that superbowl, and I smoke less than a pack a day. Football season scares me...or maybe I'm just taking this thing a bit too serious:shrug:

want to...I mean really want to not just a "I think this is a good time to try..oh well i couldn't do it"

We have a winner! As someone who has been strung out on pretty much anything you can name at one time or another, let me just say that quitting smoking was the absolute hardest jones for me to get over. Mikiemo has hit the critical factor right on the head: YOU REALLY REALLY REALLY HAVE TO WANT TO QUIT. Someone ragging on you about it (even medicos) is NOT sufficient motivation. What that motivation is, is different for everybody. But the key is you have to want to quit YOURSELF or don't even bother.

If you are TOTALLY COMMITTED, here's what worked for me:
1) Dump ALL things smoking related from you home, work and car - empty ashtrays, wastebaskets, empty packs, butts from everywhere.
2) DO NOT WATCH other people smoking - either in real life or on TV, etc. The very sight of them lighting up can trigger an irristible urge.
3) Drink a shitload of water. Pee like a madman. All that hydration helps speed up the elimination of nicotine from your system (72 hours I'm told).
4) Get some kind of nicotine replacement - I tried em all (gum, patches, lozenges, Wellbutrin pills). Don't expect them to completely eliminate the urge to smoke, just take the worst of the edge off. Follow the directions. I screwed myself by just popping a lozenge about every half hour and even though I wasn't smoking, I was newly hooked on the damn lozenges. Took the patch to get off the suckers!
5) When the urge to light up strikes (and it surely will), remind yourself that the actual physical craving WILL GO AWAY within 3 minutes. That sounds short when you're not jonsing, but can seem like ages when you're dying for a cig. That's another reason not to have them handy. If they're within reach, you'll probably relapse.
5) The first 3 days are the worst. Then it's only slightly horrible, but tolerable. Explain to everyone you know to give you a wide berth for the first couple quit days. You'll be an asshole - and depressed. It passes.
6) Finally, after you have stopped for awhile UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES allow yourself to cheat EVEN ONE SINGLE BIT. Even a drag - a half a drag - off a cigarette will start up the whole cycle of craving all over again. Ask any smoker who has quit why they started again. "Just had one..." is generally the answer.

Other good suggestions posted by others - keep busy, distract yourself, do exercise. I also found that the oral part of the addiction bothered me, so I sucked on cinammon sticks (from the spice aisle in the grocery store) - no calories, don't rot your teeth, taste decent and last a long time. Plus, you can take out your aggravations by chewing the hell out of them and they don't fall apart. (Red vines, etc., are not as good as you end up eating them right away - at least I did.)

Good luck. By the way, only 1 in 5 people is able to quit on the first attempt. If you REALLY want to quit, stick with it. All MO.

Getting knocked up helped too. I suppose that's not an option for you though.

We have a winner! As someone who has been strung out on pretty much anything you can name at one time or another, let me just say that quitting smoking was the absolute hardest jones for me to get over. Mikiemo has hit the critical factor right on the head: YOU REALLY REALLY REALLY HAVE TO WANT TO QUIT. Someone ragging on you about it (even medicos) is NOT sufficient motivation. What that motivation is, is different for everybody. But the key is you have to want to quit YOURSELF or don't even bother.

If you are TOTALLY COMMITTED, here's what worked for me:
1) Dump ALL things smoking related from you home, work and car - empty ashtrays, wastebaskets, empty packs, butts from everywhere.
2) DO NOT WATCH other people smoking - either in real life or on TV, etc. The very sight of them lighting up can trigger an irristible urge.
3) Drink a shitload of water. Pee like a madman. All that hydration helps speed up the elimination of nicotine from your system (72 hours I'm told).
4) Get some kind of nicotine replacement - I tried em all (gum, patches, lozenges, Wellbutrin pills). Don't expect them to completely eliminate the urge to smoke, just take the worst of the edge off. Follow the directions. I screwed myself by just popping a lozenge about every half hour and even though I wasn't smoking, I was newly hooked on the damn lozenges. Took the patch to get off the suckers!
5) When the urge to light up strikes (and it surely will), remind yourself that the actual physical craving WILL GO AWAY within 3 minutes. That sounds short when you're not jonsing, but can seem like ages when you're dying for a cig. That's another reason not to have them handy. If they're within reach, you'll probably relapse.
5) The first 3 days are the worst. Then it's only slightly horrible, but tolerable. Explain to everyone you know to give you a wide berth for the first couple quit days. You'll be an asshole - and depressed. It passes.
6) Finally, after you have stopped for awhile UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES allow yourself to cheat EVEN ONE SINGLE BIT. Even a drag - a half a drag - off a cigarette will start up the whole cycle of craving all over again. Ask any smoker who has quit why they started again. "Just had one..." is generally the answer.

Other good suggestions posted by others - keep busy, distract yourself, do exercise. I also found that the oral part of the addiction bothered me, so I sucked on cinammon sticks (from the spice aisle in the grocery store) - no calories, don't rot your teeth, taste decent and last a long time. Plus, you can take out your aggravations by chewing the hell out of them and they don't fall apart. (Red vines, etc., are not as good as you end up eating them right away - at least I did.)

Good luck. By the way, only 1 in 5 people is able to quit on the first attempt. If you REALLY want to quit, stick with it. All MO.

Good stuff, thanks for that, seems you have some experience in that.

Never smoked, so I don't really have any tips. Although, if I was in your situation, I would imagine replacing smoking with something else enjoyable might work. Maybe your wife/girlfriend (don't know if you're married. :shrug: ) could help you with that. ;) You'd be killing 2 birds with one stone!

But yeah, to everyone here who is trying to quit, I wish you luck and strength of will. :thumb:

Ok Im printing all of these out, good stuff. Nothing makes you relapse more than drinking by the way. I do not drink alot, pretty much socially, but on my birthday,,,wow. Its just Im 37 now and I'm getting to that point where I fear everything health wise.

I am about to turn 27 and I feel like smoking has slowed me down and cost me too much money. I am a social drinker, but I have times where I binge for 30-40 days. It doesn't happen every year, but it has happened this year. It could have been a direct response to being smokeless.

If you ever need words of encouragement, please feel free to PM me. I really know how difficult it was. I tell people I have smoked since I was born...my father is a 2 pack a day smoker and he is the one who got me addicted. I never became a smoker until I left their house.

Eat constantly and get so fat that if you smoked too, you'd kill yourself.

One more thing to add. This is what my doctor told me. The patch and gum does not work. It still gives off nicotine into your blood. That is one of the reason your addicted in the first place. Chantix stimulate the receptors in your brain that require nicotine. Pretty much what happens is in about a month, you don't feel anything from smoking...You taste nothing buy cardboard. Simply put, I was like why do I want to keep tasting cardboard. I threw the rest of my pack away. Only had a couple when boozing afterwords. I have not bought a pack of cigs since January and I don't plan on it. If the black and milds kill me, then at least I went out a cheap ass.

Back