Apps?

BostonTim

IIWII
Reaction score
Lori's been telling since the day they were invented that I'm too stupid for a smart phone. I think she's right.

Anyway, I'm finally in iphone 5s and finally figured out how to turn it on. So it appears I need apps.

So what are Your favorites and what do they do and why would I want one? Seems like a good way to get a few ideas. So, TIA.

Cheers, 21stCenturyTim :coffee:

I like Star walk and gazing at the sky

other than that I don't have many apps except FB, Twitter,Instagram ( to watch MY kids), Pandora, my banks, fantasy football, WORD W/ FRIENDS, youtube.

2 I use the most are Waze (free) for driving directions and Dark Sky (the only app I have ever paid for), crazy accurate for weather.

2 I use the most are Waze (free) for driving directions and Dark Sky (the only app I have ever paid for), crazy accurate for weather.

Is it true that you can get directions from Waze in Gronk's voice?

Get your bank app and never have to go there again. I also use the weather app (the Weather Channel), Fly Delta, Foxnews, xfinity app (controls my TV), and several business specific apps that I use for work such as join.me and Concur.

I love Waze, and yes it is true about Gronk.

Sent from my Enigma Device.

Dropbox is a must have to upload any photo's you take with the camera. You can set it up so it automatically uploads all photo's to the cloud. Put the same app on your PC and that's the easiest way to download them to the PC to print, archive etc.

My weather app is Storm. it used to be the intellicast app.

Besides just weather radar, it lets you show surface or jet stream winds, fronts (just like you used to see on the TV weather map in the before time).

There are plenty of other options that make it the best, IMHO, weather app out there. One look at the screen and with the options displayed you can tell what's going to happen.

BTW it's free.

If you plan on using it for music, I strongly recommend Audyssey. These are the same guys who make the software that's on many home theater/surround sound AV receivers.

They have made special equalization curves for a bunch of different headphones that improve the sound quality in an amazing fashion.

They changed the app so now you have to buy the setup for any given headphone, but it does make a real difference if you're interested in that kind of thing.

Other music related apps that are handy are Soundhound. If you're someplace and hear a song and want to know what it is, soundhound will tell you.

I'd also recommend Apps Gone Free. Each day it has an updated list of apps that are free that day.

If you see something that you are even the slightest bit interested, download it, and then delete it if you're not sure.

Since you have "bought" it, you can always reinstall it for free later.

There are various apps you can use to show you what's around you.

Aroundme, YP, placesaround, etc. are a few that I have on my iPad. If you travel it's handy to use that to find something you may be looking for. Restaurant, gas station, bar, hotel, hospital, etc.

There are a few free wifi locator apps that you should have.

I have Comcast, so I have their Xfinity Wifi app. I have it set up so it automatically connects me if it finds a hot spot.

Another one I have is Free Wi-Fi.

For sports, there are two I use frequently.

Bleacher Report Team Stream is handy since I can set up for multiple teams and sports. The Patriots Live app is pretty good for getting all the news reports from any and all media that cover the Pats.

As others said get the app from your bank. I'd also recommend the app for your credit cards and any travel related services (airline frequent flyers, hotel bonus, etc.)

I'd also google iPhone tips and tricks and read the various hits you get. there are plenty of things to know about the multitude of settings to enhance privacy, reduce battery usage, etc.

I'd also recommend spending the money on a decent case and get some of the clear plastic screen covers.

I bought a otter box for mine and it really does a nice job of protecting it. Makes it a bit fatter, but I think the improved protection is worth it.

As I recall, I got one for $10 at Amazon as long as I got the black and red one. If I went for any other color it cost $35. I decided I liked black and red.

Are (and how are) Waze and google maps different.

Cheers, BostonTim

Depending on your need, I'd add Wunderlist to your list.
It's a todo app that is really neat and syncs across devices. Helps me a lot in my day-to-day.

Depending on your need, I'd add Wunderlist to your list.
It's a todo app that is really neat and syncs across devices. Helps me a lot in my day-to-day.

Cheers, BostonTim

Well, the Google Maps App was developed by a company named Google. Waze was made by some other company. So they are different in that respect.

Hope that helps. Coffee.

Cheers, BostonTim

I don't know much and don't use google maps. But the cool thing about waze is that other users that are using it, that maybe ahead of you en route of your destination, forewarn of cops the road and traffic jams.

Also, after entering your destination, press routes and get a couple of different ways of getting to your destination and it will show what you will encounter on those different routes.

I like Star walk and gazing at the sky

other than that I don't have many apps except FB, Twitter,Instagram ( to watch MY kids), Pandora, my banks, fantasy football, WORD W/ FRIENDS, youtube.

Got Star Walk 2. Amazing! Barely started and it's great.

Thanks

Cheers, BostonTim

Back