Are you happy with the Drake Maye pick?

Thats reactionary if you paid the cost to jump back into the first round. The trading back thing? Thats fine. This isn't a one and done FA and draft fix for this team. Let's see what happens next offseason before we shit can the whole thing. This season isn't about Maye, or really probably even winning. It's about building for the future and building it up that way.

I am not seeing them winning anything this season. Nothing at all. I hope the show improvement and with Brissett starting they will. Hit the mid to top of the draft next year and then see what's what. I know the draft class next year isn't the best at this point, but there is a whole college football season to go before and declarative statements can be made. If you don't get your tackle this year, but you can get a WR, or another corner etc...then you do it and get your tackle next year. Or develop one that you have.

This isn't over by a long shot.
Of course it's reactionary. It's a reaction to 7 WR and 8 OTs flying off the board, when those are the two positions you haven't addressed.

Here's the thing, I'm afraid the Patriots aren't team-building, they're virtue-signaling to appease the fans and media, banking on the fact that whomever they take at 34 has a WR or OT next to their name, 90% of fans won't have any idea who they are anyway, and won't care that they're taking 3rd tier guys.

If you're serious about team-building, you take McKinistry or Fiske at 34. Two players that would have been top 15 in any other draft. This team needs talent first, regardless of position, and then you fill positional needs. They brought in Maye, we'll see, jury will be out on him for a while, but they've done nothing to address their talent deficit across the board. They brought in trash, and re-signed players that we think are good, but in reality, not a single pro bowl between them...from a 4-13 team.

Feeling great. When you don't have a QB, you need to take QBs until you get one. Maye is super talented; if he doesn't work out, we can try again in two years. That's life without a QB.

And I don't give a damn what Belichick says. He ruined any chance Mac had with his personnel (coaches and players).

I am meh about it, I wish Patriots would have gotten McCarthy instead but I am happy for McCarthy going to the Vikings, he is in the perfect situation with the Vikings

Vikings offered 11, 23 and next years number 1 and pick swaps that were in Minnys favor whatever that would have applied to. G-men offered number 6 and next years 1st.

And they still took Maye. That says something.

Vikings offered 11, 23 and next years number 1 and pick swaps that were in Minnys favor whatever that would have applied to. G-men offered number 6 and next years 1st.

Yeah, it says they were taking a QB no matter what, so they could sell it to the fans.

6 and next year's 1st from the Giants isn't a serious offer, btw. 11 and 23 is a first level WR and OT, however. Especially since their #1 next year could possibly be top 10.

It honestly could say a lot of things.

Let me give you examples:

A meddling owner which got enamored by Maye's talent.

A front office looking to appease a bratty owner with a "good looking on paper" prospect.

A team ill prepared to handle team building after cutting out the brains of the operation.

A son who thinks he's someone since he got a front row seat at championship glory.

A desperate team with a subpar free agency looking to make the sexy pick.

It honestly could say a lot of things.

Let me give you examples:

A meddling owner which got enamored by Maye's talent.

A front office looking to appease a bratty owner with a "good looking on paper" prospect.

A team ill prepared to handle team building after cutting out the brains of the operation.

A son who thinks he's someone since he got a front row seat at championship glory.

A desperate team with a subpar free agency looking to make the sexy pick.
Only way any of this is true is if they play him week 1. Or before he is ready. Stunning to me that people still can't see that this was a fantastic pick. All QBs are crapshoots but a lot of high end evaluators love Maye and think he is the best in the draft.

I take Maye all day long and twice on Sunday.

I was really banking on that exact trade coming to fruition.

I don't hate Maye, but I don't think he is a generational QB. I've been wrong a million times before on these matters so by no means am I going to be upset if I end up eating some crow here. I simply don't see a big gap between Maye and McCarthy (who I am not endorsing as having wanted, just using him as an example based on where he went in the draft) and with all of the needs on this team, they could have gotten JJ McCarthy + a WR or T with this trade on day 1 and have an extra #1 in their pocket for next year.

Only way any of this is true is if they play him week 1. Or before he is ready. Stunning to me that people still can't see that this was a fantastic pick. All QBs are crapshoots but a lot of high end evaluators love Maye and think he is the best in the draft.

Playing well against 18-22 year-olds is one thing - stepping up your game when you're playing against fully grown men with a decade of professional experience is another.

Some QBs make that transition, and some don't. A few make it look easy, but most struggle.

You really don't know, until someone steps into the arena, whether or not they'll succeed.

As you state, it's a crapshoot at the QB position. There are no guarantees. First rounders succeed at a greater rate than late round QBs, but the failure rate is still pretty high, no matter how high or low the draft position.

I'm thrilled with Maye, which shouldn't be a surprise because I've been pimping him non-stop for a while now, but certainly there
are a ton of doubts out there.

I figure most people will come around on him by summer and I chalk up all the negativity to the fact that Patriot Nation is so pissed off at
how ugly last season was that they are only willing to focus on the negative views and just can't believe the primarily positive ones. Felger's pants
are breathing at the fact that his job is going to be so easy-peasy this season. Pushing fan's buttons over the Drake Maye choice is going
to be like shooting fish in a barrel for him and the rest of the media sharks. Fuck, even Ben Volin supported the pick, but he'll reverse field before
Maye ever takes one this summer. Bank on it. There are clicks to be harvested out there, so let's not get silly.

Why are people so happy for McCarthy ending up with the Vikings when they were such canny judges of QB potential that they wanted
the guy we drafted to the tune of 3 numbers ones (allegedly)? Same thing with Daboll and the Giants. It's simple. This kid has the goods
and a ton of smart football people knew it. They just didn't happen to have a 3rd pick available or he would have had no shortage of
teams excited to work with a 21-year old with major league potential.

I'm not going to argue with anybody that doesn't like the pick or thinks he should be perfect and ready to go right out of the box. This is the
same fan base where about half were pissed off at Brady for years because he replaced Bledsoe who could barely move the chains any more. Even
though he won a Super Bowl and a lot of games while steadily improving, Brady was a system QB who couldn't throw downfiela and so
forth. Of course, that was before he transcended his human form and became a celestial being made up of pure light and heat and his former
critics became devoted Tommites who knew it all along. He had a lot of doubters for YEARS when the evidence was staring us right in the
face, but here we are afraid to believe in Drake Maye, as if his future has been determined and he just doesn't have the goods.

Asking for patience is a big ask for this fanbase right now, so I'm not going to waste my time even though a lot of people way smarter than
me are advocating for the same thing.

I'm thrilled with Maye, which shouldn't be a surprise because I've been pimping him non-stop for a while now, but certainly there

I figure most people will come around on him by summer and I chalk up all the negativity to the fact that Patriot Nation is so pissed off at
how ugly last season was that they are only willing to focus on the negative views and just can't believe the primarily positive ones. Felger's pants
are breathing at the fact that his job is going to be so easy-peasy this season. Pushing fan's buttons over the Drake Maye choice is going
to be like shooting fish in a barrel for him and the rest of the media sharks. Fuck, even Ben Volin supported the pick, but he'll reverse field before
Maye ever takes one this summer. Bank on it. There are clicks to be harvested out there, so let's not get silly.

Why are people so happy for McCarthy ending up with the Vikings when they were such canny judges of QB potential that they wanted
the guy we drafted to the tune of 3 numbers ones (allegedly)? Same thing with Daboll and the Giants. It's simple. This kid has the goods
and a ton of smart football people knew it. They just didn't happen to have a 3rd pick available or he would have had no shortage of

I'm not going to argue with anybody that doesn't like the pick or thinks he should be perfect and ready to go right out of the box. This is the
same fan base where about half were pissed off at Brady for years because he replaced Bledsoe who could barely move the chains any more. Even
though he won a Super Bowl and a lot of games while steadily improving, Brady was a system QB who couldn't throw downfiela and so
forth. Of course, that was before he transcended his human form and became a celestial being made up of pure light and heat and his former
critics became devoted Tommites who knew it all along. He had a lot of doubters for YEARS when the evidence was staring us right in the
face, but here we are afraid to believe in Drake Maye, as if his future has been determined and he just doesn't have the goods.

Asking for patience is a big ask for this fanbase right now, so I'm not going to waste my time even though a lot of people way smarter than
Bravo, good post. I don't think it will take Maye long to impress imo. I'd still plan on sitting him for a season and just let him marinate

i hope so but not feeling it….. there's no supporting cast for a young player unfortunately. I honestly hope I’m wrong, but regardless I will always be a pats fan.

~Dee~

The lack of patience stems from the PR campaign with The Dynasty, suggesting the Krafts will be 'more involved', the absolute whiffing on free agency, with 100 million in cap space to play with, and the fact that the Krafts seem to have a really strong hand in the draft room this time around. I may be way off, but these picks seem like they were signed off by Jonathan Kraft, rather than building a team, and complimenting what they have.

So yeah, short leash. Maye will probably get the longest because he's only 21.

The lack of patience stems from the PR campaign with The Dynasty, suggesting the Krafts will be 'more involved', the absolute whiffing on free agency, with 100 million in cap space to play with, and the fact that the Krafts seem to have a really strong hand in the draft room this time around. I may be way off, but these picks seem like they were signed off by Jonathan Kraft, rather than building a team, and complimenting what they have.

So yeah, short leash. Maye will probably get the longest because he's only 21.

What is your view on a redshirt season for Maye?

What is your view on a redshirt season for Maye?
I'm in favor of it. Superglue his ass to a chair in the film room, and then work on throwing with anticipation, and with NFL separation.

Edit: I'm assuming we have coaches on the staff that would make that a positive and learning experience. That still remains to be seen as well.

agree on the cast right now, but expect/hope Maye sits this year and learns behind Brissett
I agree and I absolutely think/hope he will

My issue is the coaching staff and ownership right now…. I’m not seeing patience or in all honesty, competence once again I hope I’m wrong but….. not so sure.

~Dee~

I agree and I absolutely think/hope he will

My issue is the coaching staff and ownership right now…. I’m not seeing patience or in all honesty, competence once again I hope I’m wrong but….. not so sure.

~Dee~

No patience? How are you getting that? They waited and picked Maye at 3, didn't trade up to do whatever. They traded back, got a WR that looks pretty solid and now an OT that they seem to like.

So, it's QB, WR, OT. Hmmmm all positions of need and who are we to tell them who they feel they should take. This is a multiyear rebuild, you can't draft everyone you want, other teams get a say in that as well. FFS, I am pretty happy overall so far as should most fans. They are going to bench their QB from the sounds of it, and work in the rookies and others as the season goes on. Thats the very definition of patience if I have ever seen one.

No patience? How are you getting that? They waited and picked Maye at 3, didn't trade up to do whatever. They traded back, got a WR that looks pretty solid and now an OT that they seem to like.

So, it's QB, WR, OT. Hmmmm all positions of need and who are we to tell them who they feel they should take. This is a multiyear rebuild, you can't draft everyone you want, other teams get a say in that as well. FFS, I am pretty happy overall so far as should most fans. They are going to bench their QB from the sounds of it, and work in the rookies and others as the season goes on. Thats the very definition of patience if I have ever seen one.

QB would have been a year or 2 away in my grand scheme of things … I think other offensive positions needed to be filled prior IMHO

if you’re going to sit a QB I would have taken a lower pick but that’s just me …

~Dee~

QB would have been a year or 2 away in my grand scheme of things … I think other offensive positions needed to be filled prior IMHO

if you’re going to sit a QB I would have taken a lower pick but that’s just me …

~Dee~
Well, if you sit the QB, then you can attack the team building next offseason as well. So that gives you 2 offseason, FA and draft to get the team locked and ready for Maye. They will have a pretty high pick next year as well. The 2025 NFL season is where the Pats are looking to.

Edit to add for clarification. Do you mean that if you sit the QB you would rather select someone lower? IE Penix or what not?

Back