Are you happy with the Drake Maye pick?

ParanoidPatriot

Big member
Reaction score
I never felt so unfeeling about a Patriots first round draft pick. Most of the time I've either really, really loved the pick or talked myself into loving the pick.
But I just can't get excited about Drake Maye. Right now, I think that the most he can be is Daniel Jones.
Maybe that's a good thing. I won't feel so disappointed if he bust or I'll be totally awestruck if he turns a out to be a top tier NFL QB, as he should be.

How do you feel about our #3 overall pick?

I never felt so unfeeling about a Patriots first round draft pick. Most of the time I've either really, really loved the pick or talked myself into loving the pick.
But I just can't get excited about Drake Maye. Right now, I think that the most he can be is Daniel Jones.
Maybe that's a good thing. I won't feel so disappointed if he bust or I'll be totally awestruck if he turns a out to be a top tier NFL QB, as he should be.

i agree. not excited. probably more due to the wtf-ness of everything since the day kraft fired bb than an indictment of maye. i have no level of trust whatsoever in anyone major in this regime.

1714156127576.gif
After watching Bill Belichick give a full breakdown of Drake I now feel this could be a bust. I feel like he was being generous with his assessment, but at the same time he was pointing out some things that Drake was not good at the college level. Those same skills are also a major necessity if you’re going to be a competent NFL quarterback and I think what Bill was trying to say he has a long way to go to become competent…. It’s really gonna come down what’s between his ears. He’s obviously got the skills, but we won’t know until how he handles NFL pressure.

Feeling fantastic. I wanted Williams mid year, but then soured on him due to ducking the media etc plus other things. So it was Maye for me, with a little bit of McCarthy as a fall back plan. I was pissed when they got to 3, because that meant that Washington would be taking Maye and Daniels is a walking ambulance trip.

Maye is a homerun pick, his deficiencies are overblown but will need to be corrected. Daniel Jones? GTFO with that. This kid is going to be special.

View attachment 26760
After watching Bill Belichick give a full breakdown of Drake I now feel this could be a bust. I feel like he was being generous with his assessment, but at the same time he was pointing out some things that Drake was not good at the college level. Those same skills are also a major necessity if you’re going to be a competent NFL quarterback and I think what Bill was trying to say he has a long way to go to become competent…. It’s really gonna come down what’s between his ears. He’s obviously got the skills, but we won’t know until how he handles NFL pressure.
BB did this for all of the QB’s. He did it for Brady too.

I like his size and his game. He needs work for sure and I hope we let him sit to learn and not throw him to the wolves. His biggest help will be the FO getting him some weapons and a solid Oline.

I'm glad Jonathan got his guy.

I have no idea if this staff can develop a QB. They did not address the glaring needs around him.
So right now, I don't feel anything. If he fails, I don't even know if I can hold him totally responsible.

Wait-and-see without a clear goal or direction is a tough place to be in, coming of a 4-13 season.

I'm glad Jonathan got his guy.

I have no idea if this staff can develop a QB. They did not address the glaring needs around him.
So right now, I don't feel anything. If he fails, I don't even know if I can hold him totally responsible.

Wait-and-see without a clear goal or direction is a tough place to be in, coming of a 4-13 season.
I am as down on ownership as most but you are going way to far in that direction. This would be a great post on Monday after the draft. After the first round? Chill brother.

I am as down on ownership as most but you are going way to far in that direction. This would be a great post on Monday after the draft. After the first round? Chill brother.
Any receiver or tackle they take now is a third-level or below guy, not a plug and play starter. Those guys are gone, and the Patriots FO just watched it happen.

If you want to show me you're serious about a rebuild? Take McKinistry at 34, or trade out for a haul, including mostly picks next year. Then I'll go back on board. Ladd McConkey or Roger Rosengarten at 34 will just confirm what I've been worried about to this point.

You let 7 WRs and 8 OTs just go off the board yesterday. You signed no one of any consequence in free agency to address that. Most of whom will be starters or contributors for years to come. It's crazy to think there are any more players at that position that will be either one still left in the draft.

I get that it's a multi-year rebuild, but these aren't just needs, these are VOIDS that need to be filled. Are you really going to run it back with no WRs and no Left Tackle? Again? After doing nothing to address it last year?

I think I responded to the pick shortly after the pick with an ugh…. but I’m hoping I wrong. Like most said we need more surrounding him and I would of rather filled another position …..

~Dee~

Last edited:
Any receiver or tackle they take now is a third-level or below guy, not a plug and play starter. Those guys are gone, and the Patriots FO just watched it happen.

If you want to show me you're serious about a rebuild? Take McKinistry at 34, or trade out for a haul, including mostly picks next year. Then I'll go back on board. Ladd McConkey or Roger Rosengarten at 34 will just confirm what I've been worried about to this point.

You let 7 WRs and 8 OTs just go off the board yesterday. You signed no one of any consequence in free agency to address that. Most of whom will be starters or contributors for years to come. It's crazy to think there are any more players at that position that will be either one still left in the draft.

I get that it's a multi-year rebuild, but these aren't just needs, these are VOIDS that need to be filled. Are you really going to run it back with no WRs and no Left Tackle? Again? After doing nothing to address it last year?

Thats reactionary if you paid the cost to jump back into the first round. The trading back thing? Thats fine. This isn't a one and done FA and draft fix for this team. Let's see what happens next offseason before we shit can the whole thing. This season isn't about Maye, or really probably even winning. It's about building for the future and building it up that way.

I am not seeing them winning anything this season. Nothing at all. I hope the show improvement and with Brissett starting they will. Hit the mid to top of the draft next year and then see what's what. I know the draft class next year isn't the best at this point, but there is a whole college football season to go before and declarative statements can be made. If you don't get your tackle this year, but you can get a WR, or another corner etc...then you do it and get your tackle next year. Or develop one that you have.

This isn't over by a long shot.

I’m good with the pick.
Maye has talents and some things to work on.
See any post by Hawg for full write up.

I'm honestly completely indifferent.

Three years ago I recall jumping for joy at the Mac Jones pick, but not this year. In fact this year I'd say there's little to no emotion towards the draft.

If he pans out I'll be pleasantly surprised, but Pats haven't given me a reason to feel optimistic.

That said, if he does well I'm sure I'll go right along with the hype. I really do hope he's as good as advertised.

I'm honestly completely indifferent.

Three years ago I recall jumping for joy at the Mac Jones pick, but not this year. In fact this year I'd say there's little to no emotion towards the draft.

If he pans out I'll be pleasantly surprised, but Pats haven't given me a reason to feel optimistic.

That said, if he does well I'm sure I'll go right along with the hype. I really do hope he's as good as advertised.

Mac biggest issue was one that coaching cannot solve. Arm strength.

Back