Babalu

Awesome

Mikie do you think he's alert enough to fully grasp what happen to him yet?
As someone who has also been around him, my belief is that he hears and stores what he hears. The mind knows on some level that the body has been hurt and is working to protect the body. At some point the mind will turn some power over to processing overheard data and changes in the body since August. I could be wrong but this would be consistent with other long-term injury victims. Also, I will be around here at least until next Tuesday so Jeff will have a play friend for a while. Have a great day all.:party:

Heavenly Father, I ask Your mercy continue for Babalu and taltos, speed their recovery and rehabilitation so they may be home with their families again, encourage their caregivers to fullest knowledge and application of the gifts You have given them, and thank You for blessing both with family and friends to comfort and strengthen them in their recovery. In the Name Jesus Christ our Redeemer. Amen.

Update 11/10/2010

Jeff had a pretty good day today. They've been capping this trach tube and his oxygen levels have remained normal. The speech therapist would like to keep it capped all day and take the cap off at night. They want to give him every opportunity to talk. His doctors need to approve that, but I would imagine that will happen in the next day or so. This also means he's now able to actually smell things now.

Maureen brought in a Magnadoodle few days ago. They've been writing words on it and Jeff is able to read and whisper/mouth the words back. Today the gave him the pen and asked him to write his name on it, left handed by the way. He wrote a J, a pretty sloppy E, they helped him with the first F and he wrote the second F on his own. This is all great news.

He didn't want to kick the ball today, just shook his head no. So they had him catching and releasing the ball instead. They roll it to him and he traps it with both hands, holds it and releases it wen they tell him to. Thus far he's been able perform all of the therapy tasks they've asked him to.

He's still having trouble keeping his eyes open. They've asked him a number of times and he confirms that his eyelids feel very heavy and he just can't seem to keep them open. They're still trying to figure out why.

A lot of good progress, especially with his communication abilities. Keep up the positive thoughts and prayers!
------------------------------------------
Donate to Jeff via PayPal

Update 11/10/2010

Jeff had a pretty good day today. They've been capping this trach tube and his oxygen levels have remained normal. The speech therapist would like to keep it capped all day and take the cap off at night. They want to give him every opportunity to talk. His doctors need to approve that, but I would imagine that will happen in the next day or so. This also means he's now able to actually smell things now.

Maureen brought in a Magnadoodle few days ago. They've been writing words on it and Jeff is able to read and whisper/mouth the words back. Today the gave him the pen and asked him to write his name on it, left handed by the way. He wrote a J, a pretty sloppy E, they helped him with the first F and he wrote the second F on his own. This is all great news.

He didn't want to kick the ball today, just shook his head no. So they had him catching and releasing the ball instead. They roll it to him and he traps it with both hands, holds it and releases it wen they tell him to. Thus far he's been able perform all of the therapy tasks they've asked him to.

He's still having trouble keeping his eyes open. They've asked him a number of times and he confirms that his eyelids feel very heavy and he just can't seem to keep them open. They're still trying to figure out why.

A lot of good progress, especially with his communication abilities. Keep up the positive thoughts and prayers!
Thank You Lord, I ask your blessing for Babs and his family continue. In Jesus' Name. Amen.

Update 11/10/2010

His central nervous system took a huge beating and this maybe why he still so sleepy... Almost sounds similar to the effects of sleeping sickness...

Update 11/10/2010

Ok, this brings some serious mixed emotions. On the one hand, I'm thrilled to here this kind of progress. On the other hand, it just truly boggles my mind to think how bad things were that this is great progress. I've found myself wondering how I'd feel if this happened to a loved one and literally shudder at the thought. I can only imagine the emotions running through Bab's family and close friends.

His central nervous system took a huge beating and this maybe why he still so sleepy... Almost sounds similar to the effects of sleeping sickness...

That sounds very plausable. The brain usually craves sleep while it repairs itself. Also, I would bet his anti-seizure meds have something to do with it too. I've worked with people on those meds and they made them very sleepy and grumpy in the morning. And some are more sensitive then others.

But especially after a brain injury, some meds (especially anti-seizure meds) can knock you the $#@& out!. At least that was true in my case.

PS - Great news Frank, especially about being able to close off the trach tube for a while.

That sounds very plausable. The brain usually craves sleep while it repairs itself. Also, I would bet his anti-seizure meds have something to do with it too. I've worked with people on those meds and they made them very sleepy and grumpy in the morning. And some are more sensitive then others.

But especially after a brain injury, some meds (especially anti-seizure meds) can knock you the $#@& out!. At least that was true in my case.

PS - Great news Frank, especially about being able to close off the trach tube for a while.
IMO The Best news it seems his rational and cognitive thinking are still in place,which means in time he should lead a reasonably normal life...

Ok, this brings some serious mixed emotions. On the one hand, I'm thrilled to here this kind of progress. On the other hand, it just truly boggles my mind to think how bad things were that this is great progress. I've found myself wondering how I'd feel if this happened to a loved one and literally shudder at the thought. I can only imagine the emotions running through Bab's family and close friends.

He's looking at a lost year of his life cuz of a f'n skeeter. Poor guy. As long as he continues to make progress then I'm happy. Just a month ago or so he wasn't even awake. If his progress stops or regresses then id be sad.
Posted via Mobile Device

Update 11/10/2010

Frank, were you in on Wednesday? if so, sorry that I missed you. Paul

Today's church service will be led by our Vicar, he begins his sermon this way:
'It seems a waste of time that Jesus would cleanse the temple in Luke 19 only to talk about it's destruction in Luke 21. He crushes the spirit of the crowd as they were excited to see the splendor and adornment of the great building. Today architects are still astonished by the ruins. The stones which made the foundation are massive, a few remnants remain. Jesus' Words show us that in the sight of God they are nothing. The disciples have some similarities with the men who set out to build the tower of Babel. They thought the splendor of the temple bought some of God's merit for his people. But it is not man who builds up to see God. Man cannot rise up to heaven to try and get God's attention. It is God who first comes down to man.'

Heavenly Father, I thank You for coming down to us, I thank You for coming down to bless taltos and Babalu with Your love and mercy, I thank You for the healing gifts of their caregivers, I thank Your Holy Spirit for the love and affection which flows from Bab's and taltos' family & friends in support and affection, for through us You work, and through Your Word, the Bible, Your Holy Spirit guides, comforts, and teaches us to believe in Your promise of salvation through Your Son, Jesus Christ, sent from You to be the sacrifice that cleanses our sin and grants us the right to be Your children. I ask Your mercy continue to bless and heal Babs and taltos, I ask Your Holy Spirit continue to guide their family, friends, & caregivers to endure, comfort , and strengthen their loved ones and each other in their need, I ask that Your Word be brought to all who suffer the afflictions of this fallen world so they may Hear and believe. I thank You Lord for the time You grant for Your Word to reach all whom You call, and for those who head Your Word to comfort and assure ourselves in Your promise of salvation. In the Name above all names, Jesus Christ, Your Son whom You sent to pay for our sin, I thank You for coming down to save each of us. Amen.

View attachment 84024

Just a quick update. The past few days have been kind of quiet with Babs on the healing front.He has had a good number of in the past few days and it seems that he is generally aware of our presence. Will try to fill in some other stuff later today. I am supposed to leave here tomorrow and go home. I will still make a point of coming back to visit Babs when I am cleared to drive. Will check in later. Paul:toast:

Jeff, Not a day has gone by where I haven’t thought about you in prayer. God Bless

Back